Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading and please review.
THE WORLD IS MINE


Summary: Buffy begins to enlighten Spike even more about the dangerous mind of Xander Harris. Spike immediately realizes that Buffy is not as hardened, emotionally, as she would like people to believe. Buffy starts to reveal what really happened to Xander’s parents.

Warnings: There is some sexual references (not really graphic) made regarding Xander/Other. If Xander sex makes you feel nauseous, please be forewarned.




Chapter 4: ‘Complicated Mess’


Buffy wondered at times how things had gotten so complicated in what should have been her simple life. When she was a mere child, she had almost effortlessly pulled Alexander Harris from a flooded river wash just outside the Sunnydale city limits.

Who in the hell knew what the repercussions of that few minutes in her past would be? How could anyone, at that time, know that Harris would turn out to be a walking nightmare in Sunnydale and Los Angeles.

Alexander ‘Xander’ Harris had lived, barely, after Buffy pulled him from the wash. Willow Rosenberg, who had been there that day but had done little more then fret and wring her hands, proceeded to rush out and tell everyone in Sunnydale about Buffy’s heroics.

Oddly, the Harris family, Xander’s family, never made much of a big deal about Buffy saving their oldest son’s life. Instead, they seemed to shrug off the whole incident as kismet, or fate, or whatever the local PC crowd was calling it at the time.

The truth was, Buffy often wondered in the years since if Xander’s parents had not preferred that their oldest son had died in that river wash. Almost as if the Harris patriarch and matriarch had already figured out what kind of monsters they had created in Alexander; and his younger brother Franklin. Almost as if they expected some super hero(ine) to come forth and destroy the freakish creations they had carelessly made.

Too bad Larry and Connie Harris had not bothered to share their concerns with the rest of the world. They might have saved everyone a lot of grief.

Buffy sipped her cooling coffee and watched Spike, warily, from over the edge of her cup. Her confessions of her past did not seem to be making much of an impression of horror on this blond Brit. Then again, Buffy had to assume that Spike Giles knew almost as much about Xander Harris as she did. Almost as much that is.

Spike could not know the deepest, darkest secrets of Buffy’s very soul; not at all. Not even where Xander was concerned and even less about where her own pain was concerned. How could Rupert’s nephew have any idea of just how guilty Buffy felt about saving Xander years before? For that matter, could Spike begin to understand how guilty feeling guilty about saving another human being made Buffy?

‘My life is just a big fucking mess,’ Buffy muttered to herself, angry once again. Why the hell was this annoying bleached blond cop from England here again anyway? Oh, yeah, because Rupert Giles, Buffy’s supervisor had ordained it so. So it was.


“So, your friend, Willow?” Spike mumbled as casually as he could. “She was hurt by Harris and….”

“She got over it,” Buffy replied, almost indifferently, Spike noted with just a hint of confusion.

“Oh,” he grunted in reply; for lack of anything better to say.

“Okay, so Willow didn’t get over it really fast or anything,” Buffy stated evenly. “She did move on, finally,” she finished with a shrug of her shoulders.

“Hmmm,” Spike muttered, still unsure of what to say or do at this point. Buffy was turning out to be a bit of an enigma and for once Spike was at a bit of a loss here.

“Anya showed up, soon after Xander seduced Willow and well then he abandoned her completely.” Buffy grumbled under her breath as she looked around her condo. She was trying to focus on anything but Spike Giles at this point but apparently, he wasn’t getting her obvious hints.


“Not that Xander would have hung around much longer anyway,” Buffy spat in disgust. “He’d done his damage and all. Then he moved on to the first bitch in heat that showed up and…..” Her voice trailed off; almost as if she was ashamed of herself for saying those hateful words.


“She, Willow, she got over it, finally and moved on to a really great guy. His name is Daniel Osbourne but he goes by Oz and he’s this great guitar player, okay?” Buffy finished quietly; her tone was full of resignation.

Buffy appeared to be getting more then a bit edgy at the present time and Spike decided to change the subject; somewhat.

“What about the Harris’; Xander and his brother’s parents? Do you know what really happened after that little family reunion, here in Sunnydale?” Spike asked quietly as he studied Buffy’s facial expressions carefully. He noticed that she completely ignored his last question and went right back to the Xander/Willow subject.

“The only reason Xander seduced Willow was to hurt me,” Buffy mumbled. “Oh, I know it sounds totally egotistical and all but it’s the truth,” she continued sourly.

“Xander had no intention of forming a lasting romantic relationship with Willow Rosenberg,” Buffy hissed in disgust. “Willow had followed Xander around like a puppy for years and he knew her weaknesses. He should, he was one of them.”

“The asshole knew if he got to Willow and broke her heart,” she paused briefly and took a deep breath. “Xander knew he’d cause Wills so much pain if he used her and in turn, he wounded me too because of it.”

Buffy’s lower lip trembled slightly and Spike somewhat expected her to break into tears. However, he wasn’t truly surprised when she didn’t; something told Spike this young woman had grown hard. It was a pity really, but he supposed it was natural for anyone in their line of work to get an edge about them.

Spike had developed a hard-hearted attitude himself, that and a rough hard edge about him. He was eons away from the sensitive poetic young ponce he’d been so many years ago.

Still, it bothered him that Buffy had become so hardened to the people and things in her life. He sensed however that most of her hard outer shell was more false bravado and self-preservation. Spike had no doubt that Buffy was still the sensitive young woman with the soulful eyes. The one whose picture he carried everywhere he went.

“It’s not like Xander wasn’t used to ‘moving on’ and all,” Buffy muttered harshly. “There was a girl, in our high school, her name was Faith Evans. She was Xander’s first and well, let’s just say that Faith knew the ropes and climbed them, constantly. Once Faith broke Xander in; he did the noble thing and blabbed it all over Sunnydale,” she snorted sarcastically.

“I guess you could say that Xander did the second most gallant thing he could,” she continued. “He handed Faith off to his younger brother, Franklin. I mean after he was finished with her that is. You know Frank Harris, right Spike?”

Buffy shot Spike a wicked look; sure that the blond man had heard all about Xander’s younger brother, Franklin Theodore Harris. It was Frank that ran the Sunnydale section of his older brother’s cartel and he did a wonderful job of it.

“Yeah, I know about Frank Harris,” Spike shrugged trying for indifference.

“Bet you don’t know all of the Harris brothers’ secrets; do you Spikey?” Buffy asked with a wicked chuckle and an even wickeder eye wink.


{Meanwhile in another part of Sunnydale…..}


Xander Harris lay back on the big, spacious bed; the one covered in black satin sheets. He watched the bare, seductive brunette woman as she hovered over his naked body.

“Faith, I always love coming here to Sunnydale; even if it’s just to fuck you,” Xander rasped good-naturedly. The brunette woman, Faith Evans, hunkered down onto Xander’s hips and grinned at him evilly.

“You know Xand,” she whispered seductively, “you always did know how to seduce a girl. With your smooth lines and silver tongued words.” Well, it would have been sexy if Faith’s tone had not been so damned sarcastic.

“If I remember right baby; it was you that seduced me; we were what, sixteen or so?” Xander grunted as he took a sip of his drink and smoked the last of the roach in his right hand.

“Yeah, we were sixteen and I was seventeen when you dumped me and moved on,” Faith replied evenly. “You suppose Frank really doesn’t mind about this? About us?” She pointed first at Xander then at herself.

“Old Frank probably cares less about us then Anya would; if she knew,” Xander sighed wearily. “Frank has no problem in sharing with his big brother,” he added knowingly. “It’s Anya I’d worry about if I were you, Faithy. She’d kick your plump ass all over Sunnydale if she even suspected…..”

“You flatter yourself Xander,” Faith grunted, lighting up another joint and taking a long, satisfying drag. “I think Anya’s more in love with your status and money then with you boy. Don’t go….”

It was Xander’s turn to cut Faith off. “Anya worships the fucking ground I walk on,” he hissed, surprisingly hurt by the brunette’s taunting words.

“Maybe,” Faith shrugged indifferently, “maybe not. Who cares,” she finished with a flip of her long dark hair. “All I give a shit about is the money you give your brother and me. Oh, that and the fucking when you’re in town,” she chuckled harshly.

“You really are a cold-hearted cunt, you know that?” Xander asked her casually.

“Yup, I am,” she grunted in reply. Faith laid down her voluptuous nude body; to cover his. “And you, my friend, are a first-class prick,” she laughed heartily as she snuggled into her important lover.

“I like you cold-hearted,” Xander sighed. “You’re a bitch and you know it; at least you’re honest,” he finished with a hearty laugh. “Just don’t get too cozy this trip, Faith,” he advised somberly. “When Anya and I get married, you and me are over, completely. Got it? My old man cheated on my mother; just like she did him. I’m not repeating their mistakes,” he finished in a harsh tone.

“No problem,” Faith shrugged again; a slight smile plastered on her lush mouth. “Only thing is…” she began hesitantly.

“What?” Xander groaned as he eyed the whore that lay cuddled up next to him.

Xander often wondered why he even bothered anymore with Faith; at least when he showed up in Sunnydale. Of course, he knew the answer to that one. Faith was Xander’s one real connection to the old high school days and one Buffy Summers, except for Willow of course.

Everyone and everything else were just window dressings for the present time, nothing more. Buffy, Willow, Frank and Faith, along with good old Riley Finn were the real past friends and foes in Xander’s old life. Nothing could replace them and nothing ever would; not even his fiancé, Anya.

“The only reason I made it here tonight is because Anya went back to LA for a few days. She’s tracking down that bitch of a mother of hers and making some arrangements for our wedding.” Xander mumbled in his trademark indifferent voice, even while he watched Faith smoke her joint down.

“Whatever,” she snorted in reply. “Like I said; all I want from you is money, mostly. There is something else though…” she paused briefly.

“What would that be, Faithy?” Xander asked wearily. He was beginning to wonder if coming here to Faith’s bed tonight had been one of his brightest ideas.

“If, no make that when you take down Buffy; I want something from you,” Faith began carefully.

Xander watched the woman, cautiously as he tried to read her. Something that was difficult for anyone to do, even him.

“I want Buffy; when you’re finished with her that is,” Faith giggled mischievously. “When you’re done with the bitch; give her to me,” she finished gruffly, just before she began to lick Xander’s neck and chest with her warm wet tongue.

‘God, you really are an insane cunt,’ Xander thought soberly. He soon forgot just how nuts Faith was by the time her mouth found his cock.


{Back to Buffy’s condo…..}


“So, are you beginning to get the whole picture?” Buffy asked Spike coyly after she enlightened him on some of Sunnydale’s more dirty little secrets. However, both of the blonds were completely oblivious to the conversation going on in the other part of Sunnydale.

“You’re tellin’ me that the Harris brothers share all of their toys?” Spike asked, rather shocked by all of this. No matter how jaded he got, Spike still got a bit nauseated at the more sordid aspects of human nature.

“Yup,” Buffy replied evenly. “What I’ve never understood,” she continued non-chalantly, “is that Anya hasn’t figured this all out…yet.”

“Do you sincerely give a bloody damn?” Spike asked honestly enough.

“Not really,” Buffy shrugged in response. “Anya is a total psychotic bitch from way back. God, if two people ever deserved each other; it was Anya and Xander. I have to admit that Xander and Frank Harris had a bad upbringing; but Anya’s wasn’t much better. Although,” she scowled in thought, “I think at least Anya’s mother, Sylvia, at least liked her daughter. That’s more then can be said for Xander and Frank’s parents.”

“You know,” Spike began carefully, “I never did get the whole story. About that little Harris family reunion that took place a few years ago. What happened to them Buffy? Was it really a car accident that took out Lawrence and Constance Harris or…..”

“That’s the official story,” Buffy muttered. She sounded neither convinced nor convincing.


A/N: More revelations about Xander and Franklin Harris and their sordid past. Also, I will absolutely work some Spuffy into the next chapter!

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.