Author's Chapter Notes:
Hmmm, I hope you like this chapter. It's more of a bridge then anything...
THE WORLD IS MINE


Summary: Spike comes to a realization and well, so does Buffy!
Xander enlists the help of a shady character.


Chapter 9: ‘Buffy Likes!’


Spike studied the little blond that lay next to him on ‘her’ bed. He was propped up on his left elbow and arm, carefully watching Buffy as she slept; contented he felt, in her sleep.

The obsession he had harbored for that last few years for Buffy had grown; matured into love, so Spike felt. In the last few days, Spike had come to love the incredible woman who was now his bedmate.

“I can help you,” Spike whispered to the sleeping blond as he cuddled her warm body even closer to his. “I can save you,” he cooed his promises and snuggled Buffy’s petite form to his muscular one.

Buffy purred in complete contentment, oblivious, for the moment, to the epic events unfolding elsewhere in Sunnydale.


{Elsewhere in Sunnyhell!}


Anya Jenkins was not considered the brightest light in the socket. Nor would she even try to convince anyone she knew; friend, relative or foe, that she was even close to an intellectual.

No, Anya was not bright or smart, in the conventional sense, or even all that beautiful either. However, she was something that her lover/fiancé Xander Harris needed. Anya Jenkins was shrewd and street smart; tenacious and ambitious. In other words, she was everything that Xander Harris needed in a mate. She was, of course, Xander’s mate; even if he didn’t truly realize it. Everyone else certainly did, especially Anya.

Right now, Xander Harris needed a wife and Anya was more then willing to fit ‘that’ particular bill. Even if it meant ignoring the obvious facts: Xander was truly obsessed with Buffy Summers, no question about that and Anya knew it as well as anyone.

In the scheme of things, Anya had figured out a long time before this that she would always be the ‘D’ list girlfriend. Or as Franklin Harris and his skanky girlfriend Faith put it? Number two choice bitch; with a silver bullet.

Well, okay, Anya could deal with that, certainly, especially when she knew just how much Buffy abhorred Xander. Which was to be expected, actually and even more so after what Anya had overheard her fiancé muttering this afternoon in Frank’s Bar and Grill.

Xander had never admitted the truth about Buffy, especially not to Anya. No problem though since Anya was quite willing to overlook this new ugliness from her fiancé’s past.

Anya Jenkins had been brought up by a less then stellar mother, Sylvia Jenkins. If there had ever been a ‘step up to the plate’ father, Anya wasn’t aware of him. For all she knew, Anya bore her mother’s maiden name of Jenkins for a reason. Enough said about that.

However, if nothing else, Sylvia Jenkins had truly loved her only child Anya. She never made Anya feel like anything less then a princess, most of the time. Sylvia J loved her child; that much was for sure, even if she didn’t particularly take any true interest in her upbringing.

Sylvia had made sure that her precious Anya was brought up, of course, even if it was by the rather shady neighbors that inhabited the street they lived on. If Anya was brought up a bit jaded or cynical? Was that truly Sylvia’s fault? Doubtful. At least the girl had a dry roof over her head and food on the table; right?

“Xander,” Anya murmured softly as she sidled up to where her soon to be husband set in his easy chair.

As usual, Xander was belting back shots of some kind of liquor; his dark head lulled against the back of the chair.

“What?” Xander mumbled impatiently, draining his glass of amber liquid.

“Everything is ready; for our wedding,” Anya whispered timidly; something she wasn’t used to. Normally when dealing with Xander, it was Anya who could roar as loud as he could in retort.

“Yeah, whatever,” Xander sighed, his tone was one of defeat for some reason.

“Well, okay,” Anya murmured sadly remembering what she had overheard at the bar earlier. “I just…..”

“I love you,” Xander grunted matter-of-factly as he poured himself another shot. “You’re getting what we both want, Ahn, don’t make anymore out of it then that, okay?”

‘Christ,’ Xander realized silently, ‘she knows something. The bitch has my every thought on her radar!’

“Okay Xand,” Anya sighed in resignation. She walked slowly to their apartment bed and lay down, pulling the covers over her body.

Xander sat for a few moments longer in his favorite chair; his empty glass held loosely in his huge hand.

‘Why does Anya have to be so fucking intuitive?’ Xander asked himself ruefully. ‘That damned radar of hers is going to be the death of us,’ he admitted with a wry smile.

‘God dammit Buffy, why the fuck couldn’t you just love me back? Am I such a fucking loser that you couldn’t want me,’ he asked no one in particular, least of all God. Xander didn’t believe in God anymore, if he ever did and mostly because of Buffy Summers.

If there was a God, how come ‘He’ wouldn’t let Buffy love Xander? How come he allowed the golden girl to save Xander’s life, but not his heart and soul?

After refilling his little glass, Xander took a nice long drink and sighed heavily. He chose to ignore the traitorous lone tear that slipped down his right cheek.

A moment or two passed by before Xander’s thoughts returned to one William ‘Spike’ Giles. For some reason, Harris was more then certain that this British cop just might be the one to take him down. In the meantime, Xander was more concerned with just how much this Spike meant to Buffy.

Xander set his glass on the end table next to the chair and pulled out his cell phone. He speed dialed a specific number and slowly held the unit up to his right ear.

“Yeah?" The deep, rough voice on the other end of the line answered.

“It’s me,” Xander greeted the faceless voice, quite unnecessarily actually. The man on the other end knew exactly who was calling him and maybe even why.

“Angel, I need a favor from you,” Xander stated evenly in a quite tone. There was certainly no need for Anya to overhear this conversation, especially when it involved Buffy Summers.

{Back at Casa de Buffy!}

Buffy woke up, suddenly, and flipped over to find Spike soundly sleeping next to her. For some reason, this gave the young woman a deep sense of comfort; to find her lover asleep next to her.

She studied Spike’s tranquil facial expression; a soft, purely feminine smile graced her lips.

‘He looks like a teenager,’ Buffy mused, stifling a very vocal giggle. ‘Spike looks just like a young, studly teenage boy with his bed head hair, all curly and…..’

Spike took that moment to sigh and mumble something; something barely audible, barely that is.

“Buffy,” Spike murmured in his sleep. This caused Buffy to break out in a huge grin and she had to resist the urge to wake her sleeping lover.

For some reason, Buffy wanted to know everything about Spike Giles; right down to his earlier years and the William persona that Rupert had told her about. She knew of course that William had been rather bookish as a young man, right into his teen years.

In fact, according to Rupert Giles, William had once been the equivalent of what some called a nerd, at least here in the States. For some reason, Buffy found the idea of these quiet, studious ‘Spike’ quite sexy and she intended on finding out all about him, eventually.

This fact intrigued Buffy, as did the knowledge that William aka Spike loved and admired his father very much. She was quite sure that Spike loved and admired his uncle, Rupert Giles, almost as much as he did his father.

“Who are you Spike Giles?” Buffy mumbled sleepily as she laid her head back onto her pillow, ready to follow him back into slumber.

“See anything you like, Princess?” Spike murmured in a husky, drowsy tone. Even though his blue eyes were still very much closed as if sound asleep, his mouth was twisted in a half smirk.

Buffy nearly jumped; startled when she heard her lover ask the question, but she regained her composure quickly.

“As a matter of fact,” she whispered seductively, “I certainly see a lot that I like.”

Without missing a beat, Buffy leaned down and kissed Spike’s handsome mouth, seductively.


A/N: What is it that Angel will do for Xander??? I’ll give you a hint: It was Angel that was behind Robin Wood’s murder!

Thank you for reading and please review! I love reviews! Spufette.