Chapter 3: Where Is Everybody?

Buffy stood upon the three vampires with her knife still in hand.

”Well Goldilocks…would you like to bitten on the right or the left?” one of the vampires asked and stepped towards to Buffy. Buffy moved a step back. The vampire laughed at her actions, knowing she was vulnerable.

“Wait…she’s a human.” Another vampire said.

”Good guess stupid.” the vampire next to him said.

“But I thought the last human left twenty years ago.” The vampire said.

”Well I guess this one is stupid enough to come back…” the vampire closest to Buffy said and took another step closer to her. Again, Buffy stepped back.

In the back of Buffy’s mind she had another flashback, a memory that seemed very long ago.

“You really have no idea what’s going on, do you? You think it’s a coincidence, your being here? That boy was just the beginning.” Giles said to the young Buffy.

”Oh, why can’t you people just leave me alone?” Buffy asked.

“Because you are the Slayer…” Giles said.


Buffy’s memory quickly ended and Giles words echoed in her head, ‘Because you are the Slayer…’

After a moment things were starting to fall into line for Buffy, and she looked up at the approaching vampire and slashed him with her knife. The other two vampires were startled by Buffy’s action. The hurt vampire growled at Buffy and through the moonlight she could see the cut on the vamps face. Buffy dropped the knife and gave the vampire a round of punches while the other two vamps watched. Buffy then threw the vampire into the broken wooden banister and he instantly turned into dust. Buffy seemed confused for some reason. One of the vampires that stood behind Buffy mumbled “Slayer.”

When Buffy heard “Slayer” from the vampire she instantly turned to the vamps. Both of them, so scared, backed away form the front door, onto the porch and quickly left.

By the time the vampires had hopped on there motorcycles and rode off, Buffy was standing outside her front door. She was breathing heavily and seemed in a daze. She didn’t know what to think or what to do. Many thoughts were jumping around her head and instead of sorting everything through Buffy just ran.

She ran as fast as she could to a destination she didn’t know. All she knew was she didn’t want to be in the house anymore.

Buffy ended up back where she started her evening, the graveyard. She looked around and spotted something familiar, a crypt, Spike’s crypt.

Buffy entered Spike’s crypt like she had always had, without knocking. She slowly pushed the door open and saw a new set of furniture and a new TV. The layout of the room was the same, but yet the crypt felt different. The only sound that was in the room was Buffy’s breath. She moved away from the door and she traveled around the room.

Buffy didn’t know why she came to Spike’s place but for some reason seeing the same old crypt from the outside brought Buffy some comfort, unlike her home on Rivelo.

The sound of footsteps came from the ladder made Buffy jump. She instantly thought ‘What was Spike going to say?’ ‘Did he go bad or is still sort of good?’ ‘Will he be able to help me?’ However, when the figure got to the top of the ladder Buffy saw that it wasn’t Spike. Instead of Spike it was a demon with wrinkly skin.

”Uh…who are you?” the demon simply asked. In its hand he had a bucket of chicken wings.

Buffy didn’t answer and continued to stare at the creature.

“Umm…wait a minute…” the demon stepped closer, “…do I know you?”

Buffy stepped back when the demon came closer to her.

”Don’t be frightened…I’m…I’m good. I’m a good demon.” The demon reassured Buffy, “I’m Clemon—Clem.”

Buffy still didn’t answer.

”I’m a friend of Spike’s.” Clem said.

”Spike.” Buffy whispered.

”Yeah…Spike…you know him?” Clem seemed happy that she knew Spike so they could talk reassembly and she wouldn’t feel too insecure.

“Yeah…” Buffy answered Clem’s question.

“Well that’s good…” Clem said and started to study Buffy. Buffy noticed he was looking at her oddly and she turned away, “Oh…sorry…it’s just…you look like…” Buffy turned to face him so he could finish his sentence, “…well you couldn’t be because she’s well…you look like Buffy Summers…the Slayer…” Clem said.

“I…I…am.” Buffy said.

Clem was speechless for a moment, “Wow…but you were…wow…oh boy.” Clem said and started to breath heavily, “Spike’s going to flip.”

”Where am I?” Buffy questioned.

Clem paused and looked at Buffy, “What?” he didn’t understand her random question.

”Is…is this hell?” Buffy looked up at him.

“What?” Clem asked, “No…this is Sunnydale…” Clem said but also mumbled, “But it’s close to hell.”

”It…it can’t be.” Buffy softly said.

She couldn’t comprehend that outside of the crypt was Sunnydale.

”Well it’s what’s left of Sunnydale…it’s gone downhill since the big attack of 66’. Most of the humans were marched out or killed.” Clem said.

“66? 66 what?” Buffy asked.

”2066.” Clem said.

Buffy blinked a couple times and stared at the demon before him as if he was crazy.

”What…what year is it?” Buffy asked, scared to get the answer.

“2082.” Clem simply said.

Buffy inhaled a big breath and turned around and ran out door.

“Wait!” Clem yelled, but didn’t stop Buffy, she was long gone.

*~*~*~*~*


After Buffy’s run in with the nice wrinkled face demon who now seemed to live in Spike’s crypt, she didn’t know what to think. ‘Is this really the future?’ she thought to herself. She tried to figure how much time has pasted since she was last in Sunnydale and she calculated a number close to eighty years. Eighty years is a long time, but to Buffy it only felt like yesterday she was fighting Glory and trying to save Dawn.

”Dawn…” Buffy spoke out loud as she walked the streets of Sunnydale yet again. ‘Was she saved? Is…is she still alive?’ Buffy thought.

Buffy stopped in mid step when she realized she was on the main street of Sunnydale where the Café Espresso was and the Magic Box. Buffy looked down the street in the saw the building that once was the Magic Box had be raided and possibly burned down many times. Even if she wanted to go inside to see what was left of Giles shop she probably couldn’t make it in, the building was badly damaged.

”Thought I’d find you here.” A voice came from behind Buffy.

Buffy turned around and was face to face with a timeless face.

“Remember me? Hope being dead didn’t destroy your memory kid.” Whistler said and walked down the middle of the Main Street and closer to Buffy.

”You’re…” Buffy drifted off.

”Whistler…I came to see you—well to you it’s been three years since we talked…but in reality” Whistler looked around at the reality that was now Sunnydale, “Well…eighty years sure turned this place into a disaster…”

”What happened?” Buffy said softly, she was still getting use to talking and was having trouble thinking up the words she wanted to say.

”To Sunnydale?” Whistler asked, “Huh…don’t know where to start.” Whistler looked down at his feet and kicked some debris on the street and then looked back up at Buffy.

”Tell me…are they…my…are my…” Buffy trailed on.

”Are you asking if your friends and your sister are…well dead?” Whistler asked.

”Are…are they?” Buffy whispered, dreading to hear the answer.

”I’m sorry.” Whistler said.

Buffy looked down. She couldn’t even bring herself to tears. She didn’t even know how to bring herself to tears.

”If it makes you feel at all better…they didn’t die in battle…none of them did…they died of old age.” Whistler said, “Unlike you.”

”They…they did?” Buffy asked.

”Yeah…your friends…they protected Sunnydale…for a while…until they couldn’t do it anymore.” Whistler said, “And sooner or later…this happened.” Whistler eyed broken windows of stores and overturned cars.

”Why didn’t someone stop it?” Buffy asked.

”No slayer in town…” Whistler said, “Faith…you remember Faith…well she was in prison and couldn’t really help…the next slayer that was called had to wait till Faith died…so there wasn’t a slayer protecting the world or the stopping the Hellmouth for about thirty years.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She was certain that her friends could manage without her and stick together. Those were her last dying wishes and yet, it seemed like they were ignore.

“How’d you know I was alive again?” Buffy asked.

“Long story…but I’m not the one to tell you…someone else will.” Whistler said.

”Why am I here?” Buffy asked.

”Sorry can’t really tell you that either.” Whistler said.

Buffy walked up to Whistler and punched him in the face.

”Yes. You. Will.” Buffy said sternly.

“I can’t. I’m not the one to tell the story…” Whistler said in his defense.

“But if you know…tell me.” Buffy said.

”Remember Spike?” Whistler brought up out of the blue.

”What…what about him?” she asked.

”He’ll fill you on some of the answers you want to hear.” Whistler said and backed away.

”What? Why…why him? And where is he?” Buffy asked.

”Don’t worry…he’ll be coming soon.” Whistler said with a smile, “But while we wait lets get you cleaned up.”

Buffy just stared at him, confused.

The Next Day…Nighttime

Los Angeles…


Spike hated LA. He traveled around the world for years and it was weird that he still lingered back to L.A ever so often. That night, after getting ganged up by a bunch of vampires and having to fight them, he decided to drink the rest of his evening in a demon bar.

He sat down at the counter and ordered a beer and take a load off. He heard at the other side of the bar a conversation heating up.

”…I’m telling you she’s human…” one of the vampires said.

The rest of the vampires in the group shook there heads and didn’t believe the guy’s story.

”I have a feeling she is the slayer…” The vampire said.

Spike instantly shot his head to look at the group of vampires talking and drinking beer when he heard the word ‘slayer.’ Spike’s ears perked up and started listening.

”…she threw Eddie into the banister of the house we were staying in Sunnyhell.” the vampire said.

Spike got up off his stool and walked down towards the group of vamps. His boots were heard as he stomped down across the room.

”What did you say?” Spike butted into the conversation.

“Huh?” The vampire that was telling the story looked up at the bleached blonde haired vampire and was wearing at leather duster.

”There’s a slayer?” Spike asked, trying to get the information straight, “Where?”

”Uh…Sunnydale.” the vampire said and looked to his group of vampire buddies, “I’m not sure she’s the slayer…she could be…saw her the other night in a house my buddies were crashing in...why do you ask?” the vampire turned to talk back to Spike but he was already half way out the door.

Spike walked into the alley and got on his nice motorcycle and started it up and traveled down the road.



TBC....