Author's Chapter Notes:
I own nothing
A/N: I’m just going to tell you, you should play close attention to the verse of lyrics. A part of it has to do with what happened to Buffy.


Chapter 8: Solace

Buffy moved about her room, making sure everything was picked up and her bedroom was clean. She stopped when she walked past her standing mirror and fixed to make sure her hair was perfect and none of her make-up was messed up. Catching her actions Buffy froze. Whoa! She was actually trying to look good for Spike. He was due any minute and she seemed to be making sure all was perfect.

“So Dawn…you think we should keep the door open or closed for them?” Buffy looked to through the mirror to see Faith and her little sister standing in the doorway that lead to Faith’s room. Buffy shot them a glare. She hated that they were pointing out the obvious of what she was doing. Why was she so nervous. They were just working on a project together. Simple. Maybe because you might actually like Spike. Buffy thought. Her other conscious argued back, Puh-lease! You don’t even know him. Could be something you don’t want to get involved with.

She turned away from the mirror with frustration towards herself. Faith and Dawn both had the knowing smile. Yeah! She majorly wanted to jump Spike’s bones. “Faith and I are going to go pick up some hair dye. You want anything?” Dawn asked.

Buffy looked at Buffy curiously. “You going to dye your hair?” Faith just shrugged.

“Been thinking new place new look. You need anything?” Faith asked repeating Dawn’s question. Buffy shook her head. The three of them walked out of the bedroom and headed downstairs. Just as Buffy came upon the bottom landing the doorbell rang. Trying to walk as causally as possible, Buffy opened the door seeing Spike standing there all-calm looking and…sexy. As they stood there, Buffy fully gave Spike a look over. If at first glance you saw him you would think he was trouble. That if you pissed him off and walked into an alley with him you wouldn’t come out alive or at least hospitalized Thought looking into his eyes Buffy didn’t feel that. . It seemed to be all an act and that he wasn’t always like this. She was sure if she got to know him he’d seem a lot gentler.

Coming to the conclusion that he didn't look bad the way he dressed Buffy suddenly found herself being put at ease that Spike wasn’t like the guys she had known. Maybe he was different. Buffy moved to the side to let him pass. When he walked over the threshold, he stood next to her and she had to look up at him. He was a good foot taller than she was. Then again, everyone was a foot taller than her, even Dawn.

Spike turned to see Faith standing on the first step of the staircase with another girl standing right behind. “You me must be Dawn.” The girl with straight brunette hair nodded her head with a bright smile. You could tell that she and Buffy were sisters. Their hair and eye color were different but their eyes and smiles were the same.

“Dawn this is Spike.” Buffy said introducing Spike to her little sister.

Dawn looked him over from where he stood. He seemed to be more Faith’s type than Buffy’s. Which is why she was shocked when she heard Faith say that she wasn’t going to pursue this one earlier. Everything he wore was black. Tight black jeans, tight black t-shirt, black doc martens, and to top it all off a long black leather duster that swept the floor. His striking blonde hair and blue eyes made him look cool. Dawn just thought he was flat out hot.

Buffy noticed Dawn checking Spike out and rolled her eyes. Though she was shocked to find Dawn found Spike cute. Usually she went after jocks or Abercrombie guys to narrow it down.

“I’m going to go get my books out of the kitchen.” Buffy stated and walked out of the foyer. The minute Buffy left the room Faith stepped down from her perch on the staircase with her arms crossed over her chest. The tight red tank top showed off her well-toned arms. She walked up close to Spike with the most malice look in her eyes.

“Were going to be going out for about thirty minutes. If I get back and I find that you tried anything I will kill you.” She gave him a fake innocent smile and walked out the front door. Dawn quickly followed Faith but stopped and stood next to Spike. She gave him a weary smile trying not to laugh at the shocked expression he had adopted when Faith gave him the threat.

She leaned in close and whispered while laughing, “Trust me, she means it.” Quickly she scampered off following after Faith. Buffy came back a second later and didn’t seem to notice that her best friend and sister had left.

“Come on.” She started walking up the stairs with Spike right behind her. When they got up to her room Buffy walked in leaving Spike to follow her slowly. He looked around taking in her decoration. The walls were painted a blood red. Across where her bed stood on the wall was a black painted cross. Her dresser was cluttered with make-up, and framed pictures. There were more pictures on the wall, even a canvassed painting of a bare dead tree in an empty grass field with a low setting red sunset behind it. In the corner he spotted her acoustic guitar with sheet music laying around it.

“You play pet?” He asked her pointing to the guitar. She followed his gaze nodded with a blush. Spike walked over and picked up the sheet music. “May I?” She just nodded her head again sitting on her bed. Spike looked over her music, reading through the different songs she had written. One stood out to him and he read the verse silently.

I tried to kill the pain
But only brought more…so much more
I lay dying
And I'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal
I'm dying dying
Praying praying
Bleeding bleeding
And screaming
Am I too lost to be saved?
Am I too lost?


Spike looked at the date and that was in the upper right hand corner and saw that it was written only a month ago. Had Buffy tried what this song was saying? If so, it was far from what he had expected. She seemed all bright and bubbly, okay maybe with an edge but not enough to have this dark of feeling inside her. He put the papers on the nightstand and looked at her. She was sitting on her bed now with her legs up against her chest and her arms wrapped around them hugging her legs closer to her. She looked so innocent. Her chin rested on her knees and she looked up at him with her big green eyes. In that moment, Spike wanted to kiss her. Wanted to walk over to her, lean down and just give a soft warm kiss. He fought against it though remembering what Faith had said.

I find that you tried anything I will kill you. With those words echoing in his mind and now have read her music he wondered what had happened to her before coming to Sunnydale. He knew it was because they needed a fresh start, but now Spike was curious as to what caused this.

“Are you okay, luv?” He asked bending down in front of her. She just nodded her head. Spike could tell her moods had changed. She wasn’t the quick response bantering girl she had been yesterday. She seemed lost. “Why did you move to Sunnydale.” The words came out before he could stop them. Going with it though, Spike tilted his head to the side and looked at her curiously.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” She turned her head away from him as if she was ashamed of herself. Spike nodded his head in understanding. He knew he would have to gain her trust before she would tell him anything. And, that was what Spike would be willing to do as long as she confided in him.

Spike got up and noticed a picture next to her lamp on the beside table. He picked it up.

“You are awfully grabby with my stuff you know that.” Buffy teased. He turned back to her and noticed the smile had come back. He looked back at the table to see what looked to be a very younger Buffy, Dawn, and a woman who he had seen in her other pictures. It was in black and white with Dawn in the woman’s arms and young Buffy with her arms wrapped around the woman’s neck. All three had the big smiles. It’s her mom. The smile was unmistakable. Must be a Summers trait.

Buffy stood up to stand right behind him. She looked over his shoulder to see what he was staring at. “That’s my mom. I was thirteen and Dawn was ten. We were at the park just down the street from where we lived. Giles took it.” She smiled at the memory of it all. It had been a beautiful day. Her mother had loved those days because it had been raining for almost two weeks not allowing the girls to go out. The air had been clean and clear blue just like it always was after the long rain came and went.

“I you don’t mind me asking, where is she?” Spike asked.

Buffy kept staring at the picture trying to relive those moment. “She died two months after that picture was taken.” She said barely a higher than a whisper.

“I’m sorry pet.” Spike said. He felt for her. He had gone through the same thing. Spike put the picture down and turned so he was looking down at her.

“Brain tumor. I found her dead after I got home from school. I was so freaked out…” Her words trailed off and before she could stop herself Buffy found she was telling the story.
*~~~*~~~*~~~*

November 1994

Buffy walked into her house, waving goodbye to Faith who stood at the front of the walkway. “I’ll see you in twenty minutes.” She yelled out to Faith. Closing the door Buffy called for her mother. “Mommy! Where are you?” Buffy dropped her backpack next to the coat rack by the front door. “Faith and Giles are going to come get me in twenty minutes to go see The Santa Claus movie.” Buffy searched for her mother in the kitchen and the dinging room but couldn’t find her. She walked into the living room and stopped. “Mo-m….mommy?”

Her mother laid on the couch as if she had fallen on it. Her eyes were wide open and they seemed to be looking at Buffy. The look on her mothers face was just blank. Empty. Nothing. Like death. Slowly Buffy Summers walked towards the couch. She touched her mother’s leg. Cold. Buffy tried to get away as fast as she could, stumbling backwards she fell onto her bum but still kept crawling away all the while not taking her eyes off her mother’s.

Scooting back to the corner Buffy let out a choking sob. Pulling her legs up tightly to her chest she screamed. Her mother….the woman who gave her life was dead. Dead. The words sounded horrible just hearing them in her head. It echoed throughout her mind but. Dead. Your mother is dead. Buffy clasped her hands to her ears as if it would make the voice stop. She looked back up at where her mother still laid hoping that she had imagined it. Imagined that her mother wasn’t cold like she had been. Sadly, it hadn’t changed. The look on her mother’s face hadn’t faltered. She was dead.

Buffy let the tears flow freely then crying for the passing of Joyce Summers.

She didn’t know how long she just sat there in the corner of the living room like that. Buffy hadn’t even heard the knocking twenty minutes later. The light rapping had turned into banging and all Buffy wanted to do was call out to who ever it was to come in but could not find the voice to do it.

She turned her head to see Giles walk in and find her sitting there in the corner Faith followed. The tears hadn’t stopped and when they new arrivals saw what Buffy had been staring at for the past twenty minutes they too began to cry. Faith walked over to Buffy slowly and sat down next to her. The brunette friend pulled Buffy close to her having her head rest on her shoulder, hugging her tight. All Buffy remembered of that solace time, was Faith’s words of comfort. Two girls cried together. One for her real mother and the other for closest thing she ever had of a caring one.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*

No words were spoken. They sat in silence cross-legged on the bed. Suddenly Spike reached over and hugged the girl. She didn’t push away just let him hug her and tell her he was sorry for what she had gone through.

To Buffy’s surprise, she felt safe and warm in his arms. She breathed in and could find the traces of leather and cigarettes. A very odd, comforting smell on him.

Spike felt like heaven was in his arms. She seemed to fit perfectly in every nook and cranny and he believed that this little blonde was made for him. He could smell her shampoo. Lavender. Sweet.

They pulled apart. “I know how you feel kitten. My mum died when I was ten years old”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. I miss her a lot just like you miss your mom.” Spike said. Buffy smiled. “So what happened to you da’”

Buffy shrugged. “Didn’t want me and Dawnie after my mom died. They’d been divorced for about two years before then. He walked out on us.” She told him. “Doesn’t matter, I like living with Giles much more.”

“You and I seem to have a bloody lot in common. My dad walked out on me and my mum when I was just a little tike. Don’t know where the bastard is and I hope it stays that way.”

“Who do you live with?”

“My aunt. Real sweet woman.” He said actually telling the truth. They argued sometimes but she was the closest thing to his mom so he cared for her.

They sat there in silence for a moment. Neither expecting to have told so much. Deciding it best to change the subject Buffy stood up and walked over to her desk to grab the book Macbeth.

“Guess we should get started huh?” She asked. Spike nodded. They got comfortable sprawled out on the bed and began to work out their project.

Almost an hour later Faith and Dawn had arrived back with a bag full of things. They went to their respected rooms and began to start on their own homework. By the time Giles had gotten back, Buffy and Spike had decided to call it quits. It was interesting to watch the introduction between Giles and Spike. Both Faith and Dawn had come out of their rooms to see the two British men size the other up.

Spike could tell the British librarian didn’t like the teenage bad boy. Probably because he didn’t trust anyone who looked like Spike to get near his girls. Hell Spike wouldn’t either. Finally, Buffy was able to stop the testosterone going through the room. She began to walk Spike out.

“Well I guess I’ll see you tomorrow in class.” Buffy said feeling suddenly shy. It was like they had just come back on a date with her standing in front of the door and him standing no the porch. Spike nodded. Without thinking he leant down and kissed her on the cheek. Waving farewell Spike walked to his car.

Once inside Buffy leant against the closed door and sighed. Even though it was just a kiss on the cheek, it made her feel all warm and fuzzy inside.


A/N: Just incase theres some confusion, I'm making everything based off of Buffy time, not present days. The song lyric is from Evanescence’s Tourniquet. Good song I suggest hearing it fully if you want. Hope you liked the chapter. My spuffy moments to come. Please Review.
Spuffy_obsessed