Epilogue

“So, it’s been a while since we have talked.” William sat down in between the head stones of Dru and Angel. He often passed them on his morning jog, but in the past two years since their death, his visits to them had become less frequent.

“I guess today with the wedding it’s got me thinking how much my life has changed since your wedding.” He did often think about how his life had changed. Changed the minute that Buffy Summers entered his office. It was as though he’d stepped onto a roller coaster and had yet to get off it. Gone was his gray life replaced by one filled with color, laughter and love. In short, he had a life.

“Your death brought me life,” he wiped the tears away as he spoke. “A sacrifice I try to live up to everyday.”

“Ella is doing great. Two-and-a-half turning twenty. Such a little Miss and she never stops talking. Don’t know where she gets that from.”

William couldn’t believe how fast she had grown up. One minute she was a baby, the next she was running around and asking all kinds of questions.

“She doesn’t call me dad or Buffy, mom. We both spoke about it. Didn’t feel right, you are her parents. She calls me Spike much too my protesting, somehow William was too hard but I think it might have more to do with Buffy’s bad influence.”

Watching Buffy raise their niece had been one of the greatest joys he had experienced. He loved her, as a woman in her own right, how could he not? But seeing the love and attention she gave Ella had only made him love her more.

“You two are in our thoughts everyday,” he continued, “And when Ella is old enough to start understanding, she is going to learn all about you.” Wiping away more tears, William fought to get hold of himself. Taking a deep breath, he started again. “Angel, I have something to ask you…”

********

“Do I look all right? Is my face blotchy? Is the makeup okay?”

Buffy stared at Faith, wide-eyed. Never had she pictured tough as nails Faith being a girly girl and worrying over her makeup. Course, she never expected Faith to be the type to settle down and get married either.

“You look beautiful, Faith,” Buffy assured her.

Faith visibly relaxed at that. “Thank you. You look beautiful too. William is going to freak when he sees you in that little number.”

Buffy smiled, “Thanks.” She had to admit, Faith could be classy when she set her mind to it, not only was her wedding gown gorgeous, with a simple satin bodice flowing into a full skirt, but she chose well on her bridesmaids and maid of honor dresses as well. Which in actuality was the same dress. She’d chosen periwinkle as the color, and the dresses were simple “very Jane Austen” is how Buffy described them. Buffy loved them, she loved the bow at the back, the accentuating bodice, and the slight train it had.

“The music is starting and I have to go and take my place as your maid of honor. You ready?” Buffy asked, holding Faith’s hands in her own.

Faith smiled. “Yup, I am ready to become Mrs. Riley Finn.”

********

Tears blurred William’s vision as he watched Buffy walk down the aisle holding Ella’s hand. They were to him perfection, his salvation—they’d saved him from his lonely life, and all the things he had done before this moment no longer mattered. It all became so clear to him. His life, love, everything was walking towards him.

The ceremony itself was a blur to him. Like a conversation at the table next to him. He knew what they were saying but his focus was on Buffy and Ella.

Family.

Wasn’t it what Drusilla had spoken about the day she was married? How Buffy was to become a part of their family that day. In the back of his mind he knew that his heart was hers then. He had given it unknowingly that day on the dance floor.

The dance floor.

He knew the ceremony had finished when he heard the applause and saw Faith and Riley kissing. He saw the love and passion between them, he had seen it with Angel and Dru and the day they had married. He did not scoff or envy them. He had experienced the same. He held out his arm for Buffy to take and felt the electricity between them as she entwined her arm in his. He placed a small kiss on her nose before they turned and walked down the aisle.

*********

Doing their wedding duties was turning out to be a pain. At least for William. He wasn’t much to ‘strike a pose’, so taking pictures for the Finn’s wedding album was turning into a headache.

“Honey, smile,” Buffy admonished him lightly, wrapping her arms around him.

“I don’t want to smile. I want to eat and get something to drink and…”

“And?”

“And be alone with you for a little bit. Is that too much to ask?”

She giggled at how sad and pathetic he sounded in his request, like a sad little boy.

“Soon, baby, soon,” she promised him. “Could be worse, you could be paired up with someone you don’t know. At least it’s me, right?”

He had to agree with that. “Right, though I don’t get exactly why I ended up being the best man. His buddy there, Forest, Trees, whatever his name is, he was giving me some dirty looks.”

Buffy laughed. “You know how Riley is. He thinks since he met Faith in your house if he didn’t make you the best man, it’d be bad karma.”

“Just between you and me, Princess, he’s a dork.”

“I will second that!”

“And now I want Ella, Buffy and William in a picture…” the photographer was saying.

William sighed. “Gotta strike another pose.”

“Aww, but just think how adorable this one will be with the three of us!” Buffy said, heading over to where Willow was entertaining Ella.

In the end, Ella did not want to pose and so William ended up holding her as she babbled at the photographer, pointing at him.

“That’s right, Ella, you tell the mean man how this is cruel and unusual punishment,” William encouraged.

“Behave,” Buffy admonished him lightly, “We’re almost done. Say cheese, William!”

He smiled broadly for the camera, unable to deny his girl anything. He could just imagine the picture they made and when it was finally all over, William requested the photographer to send him a copy of that particular photo.

“Now we eat and drink,” Buffy told him, sliding her arm through his after he handed Ella off to Willow.

“Alone time first?”

“Not yet, but soon.”

***

Soon turned into two hours later.

Whoever said weddings were romantic and intimate had surely never been to one. William had tried to whisk Buffy away on several occasions, but as maid of honor she had spent most of the afternoon fiddling about making sure that Faith was all right. Falling short of picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder, he had no chance of getting her alone.

“William,” Buffy plopped down on the chair next to him. “Having a good time?”

“Not really,” he mumbled under his breath.

“I heard that mister, what’s the problem? The food not nice, champagne not the right vintage?” he could see the mocking in her eyes.

“No,” he reached for her and pulled her into his lap. “Seeing you all day looking so ravishing and not being able to, well ravish you, is driving me crazy,” he didn’t try to hide his want of her. “Dance with me,” it wasn’t so much of a request more like a point of fact. He knew what he wanted to do, what his heart had yearned for from the first moment they danced at Dru and Angels wedding.

Her.

Only her.

He should have felt more nervous, isn’t that what most men felt before they proposed? A fear of rejection, leaving their own life behind, losing their freedom. And as he looked into Buffy’s eyes as they moved on the dance floor, he saw no fear in them, only love. He felt the same in his heart.

No fear, only love.

He knelt down on one knee and for a moment Buffy thought he had dropped something.

“William what…” the words died on her lips as she fit all the pieces together and the world stopped spinning around them. Well, at least the people on the dance floor stopped dancing and watched.

“Buffy,” his voice clogged with emotion. “I love you; have since that moment on the dance floor all those years ago. You taught me that there is more to life than existing, that there is life and love. That’s what it’s about. I want to love and to live with you for the rest of my life. Please, will you marry me?” So caught up in the moment he hadn’t felt the tears fall from his eyes.

“Yes,” Buffy pulled him up into her arms. She kissed him. “Yes, I will marry you William.”

Holding her tightly to him, William laughed out of nerves and joy. “Can I be alone with you now?”

Buffy laughed, “Yeah,” she said, pulling back and cupping his face in her hands. “I think that’s possible.”

The crowd around them applauded and Faith’s voice was heard teasingly shouting over the din, “You’re stealing my thunder!”

Grabbing William’s hand, Buffy looked up at him and grinned mischievously, “Make a break for it?”

He smiled broadly, “Oh yes.” And off they ran, fleeing the wedding and the applause that followed them as they ran out into the yard heading for the house. A slight rain started to fall and they laughed together on their way in the house. William swept Buffy up in his arms as soon as they were inside and carried her up the stairs to their bedroom, feeling young and in love and blessed.

The End