Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone for the reviews. As I said in the last chapter, I'm not as devoted to the fandom as I used to be so as long as I see a good number of people want me to finish this fic I will try my hardest to get it out.
Chapter Twelve- Harvard is in Connecticut

“What’s it like?” Spike asked as he drew lazy circles across her back.

“What?” Buffy murmured laying on her stomach in his bed, completely sated.

“Growing up in Beverly Hills.”

She rolled her eyes. “You’re still on that?”

“It’s not everyday you meet a real life millionaire.”

“I’m not a millionaire,” she replied off-handedly. Money was never something she concerned herself with, and she supposed it was because it had never been denied to her. “My dad is.”

“I don’t see the difference.”

“Yeah, I usually don’t either,” she said with a laugh. “Well I don’t have anything else to compare it to, but it’s probably just like everyone else’s life except a lot more exaggerated. Everyone’s trying to live the Stepford existence, or at least appear to be. It’s sickening really.”

“And you’re a real rebel driving around in your BMW convertible.”

“I like nice things, that doesn’t mean I flaunt it. You didn’t even know I had money until I told you today!” She flipped over onto her back so she could look up at him. “Last weekend Faith spilt beer all over my four hundred dollar belt, and I didn’t really care. Money isn’t important to me.”

“Never is when you have it,” he reminded her, leaning foward to kiss her forehead. “You hungry?”

She nodded innocently.

“Want to go get something?”

“I think I’m good here,” she responded, reaching under the sheet.

“I don’t think I have much around-“ he stopped mid-sentence as he felt her soft hand wrap around his hardening erection.

She smiled as she watched his eyes close in pleasure. His breathing was becoming labored and she moved to hover over him as he fell back against the pillows. Her pinky finger reached out to stroke the skin between his shaft and anus as she stroked his length torturously slow. He moaned, thrusting his hips up at the unexpected caress.

Just as he thought he would come in her hand, she abandoned his throbbing cock. He let out a wail in protest which she kissed away. Her hands traveled up his body, pinching his nipples roughly before wrapping around his neck and pulling him over her.

As she positioned him at her entrance, he gazed down at her wanting desperately for the words he kept bottled inside to be able to tumble across his lips. There was no more denying it, he was absolutely in love with the girl beneath him. She’d tell him he was crazy, though, that they hadn’t been together nearly long enough for him to be in love with her.

He was now thrusting in and out of her at a pace that scared him. He hadn’t realized how fast his hips were moving until he focused on the screams of pleasure passing her swollen lips. Afraid of hurting her, he tried to slow down.

“Don’t!” she protested, thrusting up just as fast and hard as he had been just a moment before. “Harder.”

He wondered if she felt the same way about him. Sometimes he could tell in a look or a touch, but others it was like she shut down and wouldn’t let him in. As if she were afraid of what was happening between them. Maybe it had something to do with her relationship with Angel. He didn’t know why they were still together, especially since she was spending all her free time with Spike, but chose not to push the situation and just be happy she chose to be with him.

She came around him faster than usual, loving his uncharacteristic roughness. Happy that she was satisfied, he allowed himself release.

Usually he liked to remain connected with her or at least hold her in his arms until he felt cramped, but instead he rolled away from her heading into the bathroom to collect himself. He could feel her confusion and hurt as her eyes bore holes into his back, but his emotions were raging inside him and he was afraid of losing control over them.

The last thing he wanted to do was scare her off by admitting something she wasn’t ready to hear.

***

Buffy stared at her menu, hiding her face in hope that everyone at the table would ignore her. It seemed to be working well so far. Her father had barely greeted her before settling into conversation with Angel and Mr. O’Toole. Their mothers were comparing notes, both dropping names to out-class the other.

She was contemplating ordering the shrimp or chicken when the waiter approached with their drinks. Apparently everyone else was ready because they began placing their orders with the thin man. Still not having reached a decision, Buffy was glad Angel always had some special request that would take an extra minute and give her more time.

It took her a moment to realize Angel had ordered for her when the waiter passed her and moved onto her father. It wasn’t unusual for him to do that and normally didn’t bother her, but tonight it did. She sighed, handing her menu to the waiter and taking a sip of her wine.

She had been surprised when her mother had ordered a tonic instead of a gin and tonic. It wouldn’t last, Buffy knew, but at least she wouldn’t have to worry about any embarrassing drunken moments this weekend. Not from her mother, anyway.

Her thoughts, as they did lately, drifted to Spike. She wondered what he was doing while she was sitting through this torture- probably grading papers or watching one of his stupid television programs. She wondered what it would be like to go out to dinner with him. To go out anywhere in public with him.

Her attention returned to the table when she heard her name mentioned.

“You’re graduating this year, aren’t you?” Hank Summers asked Angel.

“He sure is,” Edward O’Toole answered proudly before Angel could. “With a 4.0, too.”

“Yes, sir,” Angel agreed. Buffy could feel his eyes pass her before he looked to her father. “There’s still one more semester, but I’m working my hardest to keep it that way.”

“Buffy tells me you’re going to be a lawyer,” Hank continued. “With grades like that you could get into school anywhere in the country.”

“He’s going to Harvard,” Edward answered again for his son. “Just like the rest of our family has.”

“After I graduate we’ll be back on the West coast,” Angel told the man he looked at as his future father-in-law. “I’ll be working for my father’s firm in Los Angeles.”

Buffy frowned. Ever since she had started dating Angel he’d talked about attending Harvard, but she was just now realizing to achieve his goal they would have to move across the country. She wasn’t exactly sure what state Harvard was in, but she was pretty sure it was cold in the winter and didn’t it snow there?

“..getting married in my second year of law school. Once I’m adjusted to the course load.”

Her head snapped up to look at Angel, who looked like he was receiving an the Pulitzer Prize. Married? He hadn’t even proposed to her, but he knew when they were going to tie the knot? She was tempted to ask if he already had a date picked out, but held her tongue.

“Sounds like you have everything planned out,” Hank said and Buffy hoped that was annoyance she heard in his voice. Instead, he broke out into a smile and offered his hand to Angel.

Angel took the proffered hand, shaking it firmly the grin never leaving his face. “Thank you, Mr. Summers.”

“Please, call me Hank.” He turned to Buffy, placing a hand on her shoulder. “You’re lucky to have a man like Angel,” he told her, giving her shoulder a squeeze. “With your grades you’d be lucky to get a job waiting tables never mind something substantial.” He chuckled to himself, settling back into his seat with a satisfied smile on his face obviously content with the man his daughter had chosen.

Angel draped an arm over her shoulder, hugging her into his side. “No wife of mine is going to work, anyway. I want Buffy to be able to take care of our kids and not worry about a job.”

Buffy felt like he was smothering her. Now they had kids? She wasn’t even sure she wanted kids, but he’d penciled them into their future without even talking to her about it.

The waiter returned with their dinners, and Buffy sighed in exasperation when he placed filet mignon in front of her.

***

“That was a lovely restaurant,” Joyce Summers said as they exited the building. “It was so nice meeting you,” she told Angel’s parents. “I’m sure we’ll be seeing you tomorrow.”

Buffy felt like she was twelve again as she was ignored while Angel set up dinners and lunches without making sure it fit into her schedule. He proceeded to say good night to his parents while she turned to hers.

Joyce hugged her daughter close, whispering into her ear, “He’s a keeper.”

Buffy rolled her eyes quickly before pasting a smile on her face as her mother released her. Hank was on his cell phone, as he had been through much of dinner, and simply waved before heading to his car with Joyce trailing behind him.

Angel wrapped an arm around her again. “You wanna come back to my place?”

Buffy carefully extracted herself from his embrace once they arrived at his car. “I don’t think so, I’m not feeling well.”

“Oh, come on, Buff,” Angel complained, sliding into his seat. “We haven’t had sex in weeks!”

Well, yeah, because you’re English professor who you want me to sleep with isn’t leaving me any extra energy for you!

“I know, but I really do have a headache. Don’t you after listening to my father talk the entire night?”

“No.” Angel sped up his car, obviously frustrated that she wanted to go home early.

She watched the speedometer nervously as it passed seventy. “Angel!”

“What?” he asked anrgily.

“Could you slow down a bit?”

“I think we’ve slowed down quite a bit, don’t you?”

“What?” She couldn’t believe he was talking about their relationship in metaphors while breaking the speed limit and taking dangerously sharp turns. “What the fuck is your problem?”

“My girlfriend doesn’t want to sleep with me, I’d say that’s a big fucking problem!”

“You’re crazy. I have a headache, that’s all.”

She watched as they sped through the campus streets and as he passed her sorority house. Neither of them spoke until he pulled into a spot in the parking lot for his dorm. She opened the door angrily, slamming it shut and hurrying away.

Angel grabbed her arm roughly, pulling her back but not letting go. She tried to break free of his hold, but he had a strong grip on her. “Angel, let me go,” she said calmly. She’d never seen him like this before and it was scaring her.

“What’s going on, Buffy?”

“I have a headache,” she repeated slowly. “I’m going home.”

Angel sighed, breaking out of whatever crazy state he’d been in and released her arm. “I’ll drive you back.”

Buffy shook her head, already inching away from him. “I can walk.” He started after her, but she shook her head again. “Alone.” Before he could reply she was practically jogging down the path towards her house.