Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews! And a special thanks to my wonderful beta's Andrea and Sharon :D Banner made by hologrphcbuddha
Chapter 16 – The Ties that Bind

Buffy woke up the next morning to the feeling of sunlight streaming across her face. She smiled, feeling better than she had in weeks, maybe even years, maybe in her whole life. Her relationship with Angel was over and while she knew she should feel sad that a three year relationship had ended, she couldn’t help but feel relieved. Being with Spike had forced her to examine who she was in her relationship with Angel. Buffy hadn’t liked what she had seen.

The arm around her waist tightened, bringing her closer to the body behind her. She smiled to herself as she remembered the previous night. After leaving Angel, she had raced to her car and driven straight to Spike’s house. When he opened the door, he was surprised to see her standing in front of him.

“I broke up with Angel.”

She waited for Spike to say or do something. Thirty seconds went by, each one feeling like an eternity. What if he had changed his mind? What if he had found the strength he needed to walk away from her?

She released the breath she’d been holding as he enveloped her in his arms. She wrapped her arms around his waist, smiling into his solid chest as he placed kisses into her hair. Spike moved them inside, his lips crashing down onto hers the minute the door was closed. His fingers threaded through her silky hair, pressing her mouth more firmly against his. Their kisses were passionate and filled with desire.

Buffy broke the kiss, gasping for much needed air. Spike’s lips moved down along the column of her neck as his fingers fumbled with the button of her jeans. “Spike,” she breathed. “Take me upstairs.”

Spike’s lips left her neck, looking down at her momentarily before scooping her up and into his arms. Buffy giggled, her arms encircling his neck as he bounded the stairs to the second floor. She nibbled on his ear, her tongue darting out to lick the lobe and down his neck.

They entered his bedroom and Spike wasted no time depositing her on the large bed. He was on top of her in seconds. His lips and hands were everywhere, tasting and touching. In between kisses they were tearing each other’s clothing off. The past few days had been an emotional roller coaster and neither of them wanted to waste any time. She needed to feel him inside of her just as much as he needed to be there.

Clothing strewn haphazardly around them, both on the bed and on the floor, Spike finally entered her and she was more than ready for him. Their bodies stilled for a moment before moving together again, slowly this time. Buffy pulled his head down to meet hers in a kiss. Spike’s lips trailed down her body, stopping at her breasts. He took one hardened nipple into his mouth, sucking and nipping until Buffy was moaning in pleasure. He kissed the valley between her breasts before moving on to the other, lavishing it with the same attention.

“Buffy…” Spike groaned, feeling so close but not wanting to cum before she did. His hand snaked between them, finding her clit. He pinched the tiny bud and Buffy responded by bucking her hips up, taking him in even deeper. It only took a few minutes of caressing and pinching before her orgasm ripped through her body. Buffy crying out his name as she came was his undoing, and he followed her with a loud grunt, slamming his hips into hers and spilling his seed deep inside of her.

Spike collapsed on top of her. They were both breathing hard, their bodies slick with sweat. He rolled off of her, kissing her shoulder as he did. Minutes passed as they lay in each other’s arms, catching their breath. Buffy turned on her side towards him, drawing lazy circles on his hard stomach. “Spike?”

Spike looked up at her. “Yeah, baby?”

“You were kinda quiet before…”

Spike gave her his trademark sexy smirk. “Was kinda busy shaggin’ you, pet.”

Buffy blushed a little. “I know, I meant before that.” She paused, self-consciously. “When I told you I broke up with Angel. You didn’t say anything.”

Spike sat up, pulling her with him so they were facing each other. “I have to admit I was a little surprised that you even came here tonight. When you left my office you looked pretty confounded. I didn’t expect you to figure out what you wanted so soon.”

“But, you’re happy?”

Spike kissed her sweetly. “Yes, of course you silly girl.” He rubbed his already hardening erection against her leg. “Can’t you feel how happy?”

Buffy pushed him down and straddled his waist, focused on showing him how happy she was, too.


They had spent the rest of the night making love, until they passed out, spent, around the same time the sun was rising. Buffy knew in her heart that’s what they had been doing, making love, even though neither of them had voiced the feeling aloud. She was surprised at how much the thought didn’t terrify her like it had in the beginning. Sure, it was still a little scary to admit you had such deep feelings for someone, but she was pretty sure that Spike returned her feelings which made everything a little easier.

Her thoughts took a dark turn because she knew there was still something hanging between them. She needed to tell him the truth about why she had started a relationship with him. Last night hadn’t seemed like the right time, but would there ever be a right time? She seriously doubted it. And telling him sooner would definitely be better.

“Morning, luv,” came Spike’s sleepy voice from behind her.

Buffy turned in his arms. His eyes were still half closed, but his lips were turned up in a smile. “Good morning,” she responded, leaning in to kiss him. Spike pulled her closer to him, rolling so that she was beneath him, never breaking the kiss. A hand travelled down her body to her already wet slit.

Buffy pulled back, breaking the kiss. “As much as I want to,” she started, stopping him from inserting a finger. “I’m still sore from last night.” Her stomach grumbled. “And hungry, apparently,” she finished with a laugh.

Spike pouted. “Was I too rough on you, kitten?” he asked, bending down to kiss her neck.

Buffy playfully slapped him away from her when she felt him rubbing the head of his erection against her opening. He gave in, moving away from her and off the bed. She admired his naked body as he made his way to the bathroom. “If you change your mind I’ll be waiting for you in the shower,” he told her with a wink.

Buffy stood from the bed, pulling on his dress shirt from the night before and a pair of panties. “I’ll go downstairs and make us some breakfast,” she called to him as he entered his bathroom. Yes, sooner would be better, but it could wait until after his shower.

*****


Buffy was pouring more batter into a pan when the doorbell rang. Wiping her hands on a dish towel, she moved into the living room to the base of the staircase. She could hear the shower still running and knew Spike couldn’t hear the doorbell from there. She debated going up and telling him or ignoring it, but figured it was probably just someone trying to sell something and it’d be easy enough to tell them to go away.

She opened the door to find a dark haired couple in their thirties. The surprise was evident on their face and she suddenly realized what she was wearing – or not wearing. Her cheeks turned pink with embarrassment, but she tried to act more confident than she was feeling. “Can I help you?”

The man was the first to speak, clearing his throat before saying, “I think we must have the wrong house. Maybe you could direct us. We are looking for William Thompson.”

Buffy should have known they were English. Both of them looked way too stuffy for their own good. The man had on a dark grey suit and wore glasses, while the woman wore a matronly skirt and sweater. Her hair was dark and curly and she was very pretty.

It took Buffy a minute to find her voice again. “You have the right house. Who are you?”

“I’m Will’s brother, Wesley and this is my wife, Cecily,” he introduced them. “And you are?”

“Buffy,” she responded simply. Standing there in Spike’s doorway was becoming awkward so she invited them in. She was pretty sure Spike had no idea they were coming and wouldn’t be very happy about it. “Spike’s in the shower, but he should be right out. Can I get you some coffee?”

Cecily smiled at her politely, declining the offer. They moved into Spike’s living room and Buffy motioned for Wesley and Cecily to take a seat on his sofa. She stood awkwardly, having no clue what to say to them.

She didn’t have to think long. Spike came out then, hurrying down the stairs in nothing but a towel, his hair still wet from his shower. “Buffy, luv, are you sure you-“ He stopped mid-sentence noticing the guests on his sofa. He looked up at her, confused before returning his gaze to the two dark heads. It wasn’t until Wesley and Cecily turned to face him that confusion turned to disbelief.

“Hello, Will,” Wesley greeted.

“Wesley?” Disbelief quickly turned into outright anger. “What the bloody hell are you doing here?”

Wesley opened his mouth to respond, but was interrupted by the fire alarm blaring from the kitchen. “Shit!” Buffy exclaimed, running out of the living room and into the kitchen that was quickly filling with smoke. She had completely forgotten about the pancakes cooking on the stove! She grabbed the smoking pan, quickly throwing it under cold water in the sink. Spike, who had rushed in after her, was waving around dish towels trying to clear the air and quiet the alarm.

Finally the alarm stopped screeching. Buffy turned off the faucet, turning to find Spike leaning with his back against the counter. His head was back and his eyes were closed. He looked like he was trying to figure out what to do with the couple in the next room. Buffy crossed the room, wrapping her arms around him. “I’m sorry.” Sorry for burning the pancakes and sorry for letting them in.

“Not your fault.” He sighed, hugging her back.

“Everything alright in there?” Wesley called from the living room.

“Fine!” Buffy called back, looking up at Spike. “Why don’t we go upstairs, get dressed and then find out what they’re doing here.” She paused. “Unless you’d like some privacy with them.”

Spike shook his head. “No, I need you.”

*****


Less than ten minutes later, Buffy and Spike reemerged from his bedroom looking much more presentable. Buffy hadn’t had anything to wear besides the clothes she came in with last night. She had run a comb through her hair, as Spike did not own a brush, and decided the best thing she could do was throw it up.

Once again in front of his brother and sister-in-law, Spike looked uncomfortable and hostile. Buffy decided it would be best to introduce herself, maybe lighten the tension. “I’m Buffy Summers.” She didn’t bother moving or shaking their hands. “Spike’s girlfriend.” She slipped her hand into Spike’s, hoping to have a calming effect on him.

Spike seemed to be waiting for one of them to speak first. She couldn’t really blame him for being so cold. These were probably the two people he hated most in the world, and they had just shown up on his doorstep out of the blue.

Cecily chose to speak first. “We didn’t think you’d see us if we called ahead,” she explained.

“No, shit. Why in the world would I want to see either of you?”

“Will, it’s been ten years-“

“I know exactly how bloody long it’s been, Wes!” Spike interrupted. “And it’s not even close to long enough.”

“And you haven’t been to see Mum in six,” Wesley continued. “You barely call her and she’s not in the best of health.”

“So, what? You’ve come here to guilt me? You’ve got some nerve,” Spike responded angrily.

“We miss you, Will,” Cecily told him softly. “You were my best friend and Wesley’s brother and we miss you. You have three nephews you’ve never met and we want you to know them.”

Buffy felt very uncomfortable hearing the conversation, but knew Spike wanted her there. He needed someone to be on his side. And she guessed from the way that he had cut himself off from his family, especially his mother, that no one had been on his side ten years ago.

Spike looked at the tiny blonde standing next to him. He knew he was crazy for being so in love with her. He’d never had a relationship that ended well, the first of which was sitting before him. He was beginning to realize that being with Buffy made him look at things differently. He was so happy being with her that it made their betrayal sting less. And, if Cecily hadn’t left him he would never have moved to Sunnydale and met Buffy. She was by far the best thing he’d ever had in his life, including Drusilla. Maybe she was the reason he’d been engaged twice but never married.

He sighed, running a hand down his face. He was starving and needed time to process everything before addressing any serious topics. Since Buffy had nearly burned down his house making breakfast, he felt the safest route was to bring in food from his favorite deli. Buffy suggested that he go out and get it, knowing he could use the fresh air and time to think. Wesley offered to go with him, which Spike begrudgingly accepted.

And that is how Buffy found herself alone with Spike’s first love. Buffy was beyond starving and thirsty, so she offered to make them some iced tea. She hoped it would buy her some time since she wasn’t very familiar with Spike’s kitchen. Unfortunately, Spike wasn’t back by the time she entered the living room with two glasses of iced tea.

“How long have you and Will been together?” Cecily asked, accepting the glass from Buffy.

“Um, I guess about a month.”

Cecily looked surprised. “That’s all?” She quickly backtracked when she saw the angry look on Buffy’s face. “I didn’t mean anything bad. The way you two act together, it seems like you’ve been together for much longer.” Buffy contemplated what the older woman was saying. She wasn’t sure if she should take it as a good or bad thing, so she decided it was a compliment. “You look so comfortable around one another. It may have been ten years since I’ve seen it, but I know the look Will gets when he’s in love.”

Buffy nearly choked on her iced tea. She didn’t know how to respond so she just stared at Cecily. “Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed! Why, he’s positively enamored with you.” She winked at Buffy. “Just as you are with him.”

“Well, yeah we’re good together, but it-it’s complicated.”

Cecily laughed. “Buffy, life’s too short. Don’t waste any time when you know something’s right.”

Buffy was relieved when Spike and Wesley walked through the door and she didn’t have to respond. “Who’s hungry?” Spike asked and Buffy nearly jumped out of her seat, anxious to get away from Cecily and get to the food.

*****


By the time Wesley and Cecily left Spike’s home, the threesome were on more amicable terms. They had a long way to go before they’d be anything resembling family, but Spike was willing to try. He was long over Cecily, and although it hurt that his brother could betray him that way, he now knew how all consuming love could be.

Spike was in bed staring up at the ceiling when Buffy emerged from his bathroom after taking a shower. Her hair was wet and she was wearing nothing but one of his t-shirts and she looked gorgeous. She used his comb on her hair before joining him on the bed. “Thank you.”

Buffy looked at him, surprised. “For what?”

“Today. Everything. You have no idea how much you helped me,” Spike told her, taking her hand and bringing it to his lips.

Buffy moved so that she was in his lap. Her mouth met his in a kiss that told her everything she needed to know. Cecily’s words played over in her head. Spike loved her and she loved him and apparently it was obvious to a complete stranger.

Spike picked her up by the waist, positioning her above his erection. She slid down onto him with a low moan. They resumed their kiss while Buffy began slowly moving up and down his shaft. “Buffy…pet, faster,” he pleaded. Buffy grabbed onto the headboard behind him and rode him as fast as she could, slamming down so hard it was almost painful when their hips met. She took his hand, directing it to her breast. One hand remained on her hip, guiding her movements while the other pinched her nipple until it was a hard bud. Knowing she needed to cum, the hand that was attending to her breast travelled down to play with her clit.

“Ungh…Spike….yes, like that!”

Spike kept up his ministrations until she was whimpering under his touch. “That’s it, baby. I wanna hear you scream.”

And she did, screaming out his name as she came, her juices coating his cock. His fingers dug into the flesh of her hips as he continued to guide her up and down. He was so close-

“I love you.”

Her words undid him and he slammed up into her warm body a few more times, riding out his orgasm. Once he was spent, Buffy collapsed on top of him, her arms wrapped tightly around his neck. When their breathing wasn’t quite so labored, Buffy pulled back. “I love you, Spike,” she told him again.

Spike kissed her hard on the lips. “I love you, too, Buffy.”