Author's Chapter Notes:
There are only a few more chapters of this story. I'm toying with the idea of a sequel, but either way I have had so much fun getting back into this! I want to thank everyone who has been reading, especially those who have taken the time to review :) Also, a thank you to my wonderful beta's, Andrea and Sharon!
Chapter 17 – Love and Loss

It had been a week since Buffy and Spike voiced their true feelings for each other. Everything had been amazing between them, which Buffy used as an excuse not to tell him about her plan with Angel. She knew she had to tell him or it would always be hanging in the air above their heads. Twice she had tried to, but for one flimsy reason or another it never happened.

They were working on her take home English midterm in his living room. It was the day after Wesley and Cecily had shown up, and Spike had convinced Buffy they should actually put some effort into her English assignments. She figured now was as miserable a time as any to tell him. There were a million tiny butterflies in her stomach and she thought she might vomit all over their hard work.

“Spike?” she began, trying to sound as normal as possible.

He looked up from the paper he’d been reading. “Buffy.”

“I have to tell you something,” she blurted out. “I…it’s just…you see-“ She bit her lip. “I need to tell you the truth about something.”

“What is it, pet?” He was staring at her intently, waiting patiently for her to tell him what was on her mind.

“I think I’m still failing English,” she lied. Well, it was only partially a lie. She’d been neglecting school a lot since she’d started seeing him.

That was the closest she’d been to telling him the truth. She hadn’t gotten off scot free though. Now Spike was more on top of her about her assignments. Last week he even got her to study with him, giving her sexual favors in return for correct answers. Studying had never been so much fun.

It was mid-November and Buffy was dreading going home for Thanksgiving. She hated any family gatherings, but this year would be worse than usual. She could already feel the headache she was going to have from her parents criticizing her decision to break up with Angel. They thought she was a complete idiot and had no future without him. On some level she had thought the same thing until Spike showed her differently.

Buffy’s thoughts were put on hold as Spike’s lips lazily grazed her shoulder. “What’s going on in that brilliant mind of yours?”

She loved that he thought she was brilliant, even if it meant that he was delusional. “Thinking about how much I’m dreading going home next week.” She pouted. “I wish I could stay here with you.”

Spike kissed her pouty lips. “I wish that too, kitten, but-“ He kissed her again, “You’ve got to see your family and I’ll be here swamped with a hundred midterm papers to read.”

“I know,” she grumbled. “It’s just gonna suck.”

Spike intensified the kiss, leaving her breathless. “There must be some way I could distract you…” He moved over her, crawling down her body so that he was in between her legs. He leaned down to rain kisses all over her stomach, moving lower, kissing her hip bones, until he finally reached his destination. Slowly, he ran his tongue up and down along her slit.

Buffy bucked her hips, trying to force his tongue inside her. “Nuh-uh,” Spike scolded, holding her hips down with one hand. Teasing her, he nipped at her inner thigh before licking at her sweet opening. Bringing her legs up and over his shoulders, Spike drove his tongue even further into her wet heat. Her breathy moans encouraged him and turned into cries of pleasure when he found her clit. He sucked on the sensitive bud, simultaneously inserting two fingers. He pumped his fingers in and out as his tongue circled her clit.

Pulling his fingers out, he immediately replaced them with his tongue. Thrusting it as deep as he could, he teased the bundle of nerves he found there. “Spike!” she cried, so close to her orgasm. “Don’t…stop! So…close!” Pressing his thumb to her clit with his tongue buried deep inside of her was all she needed. Spike lapped up her juices as she came with a shout.

Still holding her legs, Spike sat up, angling his raging erection straight into her opening. The stimulation of his dick hitting her clit had her coming again within seconds of her last orgasm. Going down on her had him fully aroused and it wasn’t long before he felt his own impending climax. His thrusts became quicker the closer he got until he was spilling himself deep inside her.

Spike collapsed on the bed beside her, panting and sweating. “Love you,” he told her, taking her hand and kissing her palm.

*****


It took Buffy a full ten minutes to recover. Once she did, she headed for the bathroom to brush her teeth and get ready for class. Spike came in behind her, heading for the shower.

“Why don’t we go on a date Friday night?” he asked.

“Do you think that’s a good idea?” As much as she loved the idea of a night out with him, she knew it was risky.

“We could drive down to L.A. Have dinner in a nice restaurant like any other couple,” he suggested.

Buffy beamed at him. “That sounds perfect.”

“It’s a date then.” He leaned in to kiss her before stepping into the shower and turning on the water. “Better get going, luv. Don’t want to be late for class!”

*****


Buffy hadn’t told anyone besides Willow and Spike that she had broken up with Angel. If she had, people would start to wonder where she was spending her nights and with whom. That would be very bad and she had no idea what she would tell them, but she knew she had to figure it out soon.

Spike had classes all morning and afternoon, so she went back to her sorority house to spend some time with her friends and pick up a few things to take back to Spike’s. Unfortunately, the house was pretty much deserted so she went straight to her bedroom.

She was not prepared for who was sitting on her bed, waiting for her. Or, more correctly, lying on her bed watching television. “Angel, what are you doing?”

Straightening up, Angel turned off the television and stood to greet her. “There you are. I’ve been waiting here for twenty minutes.” He tried to kiss her hello, but she pushed him away.

“And so I repeat, what are you doing?” She stood with her arms crossed over her chest.

“I missed you,” he admitted. “Can’t I come see my girl?”

“I am not your girl anymore,” she corrected him. “We broke up!”

“You were serious about that?” he scoffed. “It’s been a whole week. I thought if I gave you your space, you’d have time to cool off and realize what a huge mistake you’re making.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. Of course he would think that. What girl in their right mind would break up with the wonderful Angel O’Toole? “Listen, Angel, I really don’t have time for your games. I meant everything I said to you last week. Nothing’s changed.”

“And what about next week? Thanksgiving break? I’m sure your parents won’t be very happy to hear that you’re throwing your life away.”

“Do you even hear yourself? Throwing my life away?” She threw up her hands in anger. “Just get out of here.”

“But, Buff-“

“Get. Out.” She glared at him, daring him to say anything else. He must have realized she wasn’t joking and stalked out of her room but not before muttering, “Your loss.”

*****


Every Friday morning Spike had an eight o’clock class. Afterwards he held office hours from nine to ten. Students hardly ever utilized office hours, especially on Friday morning. Spike got a lot of work done this time every week, which was proving to be very useful since so much of his time at home was being consumed by Buffy. Thinking of Buffy made him think of their date scheduled for that night. He couldn’t wait to take her out and do things other couples took for granted. They were meeting at his house at six so that she could shop and primp and do whatever else girls did to prepare for a date. Six o’clock couldn’t come fast enough.

Spike was surprised when he heard a knock on his door. Maybe Buffy had come to surprise him…

No such luck. Instead of Buffy, his least favorite student was seeking him out, no doubt to once again discuss the less than stellar marks Spike was giving him. “Mr. O’Toole,” Spike greeted, trying not to sound as exasperated as he felt. “Please, take a seat.”

“Professor Thompson,” Angel started, getting right to the point. “I thought I’d give you one more chance to reconsider the grades you’ve been giving me.”

“How generous of you,” Spike replied sarcastically. God, he hated this asshole. “And why would I want to do that?”

“Because if you don’t I’m going to show these to every administrator, professor and student on this campus.” Angel threw a manila envelope onto Spike’s desk.

Spike’s heart sank. He didn’t have to open the envelope to know what would be inside. He opened it anyway and his worst fears were confirmed. There were at least a dozen photographs of him and Buffy. Her closing his front door in his dress shirt. Them kissing in his car behind her sorority house. Him walking her to her car outside of his house. He felt sick to his stomach.

“It’s up to you,” Angel told him. “I show these pictures to everyone on this campus, effectively ruining your career and her reputation. Or, you give me an ‘A’ for the semester and you get these plus the negatives.” He paused. “Oh, and you have to stop seeing Buffy.”

Spike felt like the wind had been knocked out of him. He didn’t give a shit about giving this over privileged son of a bitch an ‘A’, but losing Buffy? He knew he didn’t have a choice, but it would kill him.

Angel stood up. “I guess I’d better start making copies.”

“Wait!” Spike closed his eyes, wishing so badly that this was just a nightmare. “I’ll do it.”

“I thought you might.” Angel smiled, throwing another envelope on his desk, containing the negatives. “And don’t even think about not going through with it. I won’t bother coming to you next time.”

Spike watched the brunette devil walk out of his office. He knew he had no choice but to end things with Buffy, but he had no idea how he would get through it. It was the last thing he wanted in the world, but he’d do it to spare her the public humiliation.

*****


Buffy showed up on Spike’s doorstep at exactly six o’clock that evening. She looked stunning in a form fitting spaghetti strapped dress. The sweetheart neckline showed off her cleavage and her strappy heels showed off her tanned legs. Spike was going to die when he saw her.

Buffy frowned when he opened his door, wearing jeans and a tee. “Ok, now I’m feeling way over dressed.”

Spike closed the door behind her and led her into the living room. “We need to talk,” he told her, sitting down on the sofa.

She followed his lead, sitting next to him. “What’s going on? Is everything ok?” His tone and the look on his face was really worrying her.

“No, it’s not.”

Buffy took his hand in hers. “What happened?”

Spike had no idea how he was going to force the words he needed to say out of his mouth. Not when she was looking so gorgeous and concerned in that sexy red dress. “Buffy, you know how much I love you…”

“But,” she inserted for him, a feeling of trepidation taking over.

“I love you, but I’ve had a lot of time to think about it and I think it would be best if we ended things before they got messy and out of control.” It broke his heart to see the flash of despair cross her face.

“How long is ‘a lot of time’?” she questioned, narrowing her eyes. “This morning everything was fine.”

“I sat in my office all day and thought about it. Buffy, you’re so young and I honestly think it would be best for you if we ended things now.”

Buffy could feel the tears welling up inside of her, but she wouldn’t cry. She hated when anyone saw her crying, especially the person who was causing her tears. She pulled her hand away from his as if she’d been burned. “How can you say you love me and then break up with me in the next sentence? You don’t just wake up loving someone and then come home from work wanting to break up with them!”

“I’m doing this for your own good,” he told her softly. She’d never know how true that was.

“Oh, spare me!” She stood up, knowing she had to leave quickly or she’d burst into tears.

“Buffy-“

Spike reached out to her and she instantly recoiled. “Don’t touch me.” Her voice was cold as ice. “You got your wish. It’s over.”