Author's Chapter Notes:
I'M BACK!!!!
Chapter 11: The 3 D's.

Buffy continued to stare at Spike through the corners of her eyes as the two of them walked down the little stone path further into the garden on the Giles’ Estate. Ever since they had walked onto the grounds outside they had been silent most of the time, with an occasional comment made by Spike every once in while to explain where everything was.

The garden, in Buffy’s opinion, was very beautiful. A wide range of different roses and tulips decorated the edges of the path immaculately, a stark contrast of brilliant colors against the green of the leaves. Hedges were neatly trimmed and lined around the house. Trees scattered across the grassy areas giving many parts full of shade.

Spike had explained that the whole land was nearly two and a half acres, complete with a green house, pool, hot tub, and even a small hedge maze.

“My uncle bought the house before I was born and whenever we would come out here to visit my uncle who owned the house at the time, I’d love to run through the maze.” Buffy turned her head fully to gaze at Spike who held a boyish grin on his handsome face. To Buffy’s surprise, she found it cute. It was the most unlikely word to describe him, judging from his appearance. His expensive suit, slicked back bleached hair; hard, chiseled facial features and the badass attitude of a dangerous mafia. She never expected to see the little grin that reminded her of a young boy. There are so many sides to him that it seemed unreal.

She had seen many of these sides and she suspected that there were more to come. The hot tempered, angry side of him scared her the most. Even though she had vowed to herself to never fall in love with him or let him scare her, she was still allowing the latter one. The one that she had come across with no more than half an hour ago had shaken her to the bone.

Buffy thought back to the moments she had sat on the counter of her new bathroom where he had left her after his outburst of anger. The way his icy blue eyes had left her frozen, immobilized and too scared to even move. Why did she have to keep denying him? She had questioned herself. There’s nothing you can do now. Her thoughts were starting to sound like Spike’s, which was starting to worry her.

Deep down Buffy thought she could handle him, the situation she was in, but at his sudden changes of moods, Buffy knew it would be hard and dangerous to defy him. What if she pushed it too far? Would he hit her? Part of her believed he would while the other saw that deep down he was just too gentlemanly and respectful to raise his hand to her or any other woman. Buffy chose to stick with the first idea. Better to be safe than sorry. And, with that sudden, newfound fear of what Spike could do to her, it had caused her to make a decision then in that bathroom. At least that was part of the reason. She felt guilty because Spike was treating her well so far and she was still being a bitch. Yeah, she hated her situation but she could either suck it up or sulk as Spike had given her the same kind of choice. Therefore, Buffy had made a decision that she would from then on be compliant...to a certain degree. She would smile and agree with him that she was his but that was it. Buffy Anne Summers would never fall in love with him.

“Pet?” She heard Spike’s British voice call to her. Buffy looked up at Spike with wide eyes to find him raising an eyebrow at her. Buffy gulped, chastising herself for thinking that the look on his face was rather sexy. Shaking the thoughts out of her head, Buffy continued walking.

“So what happened to your uncle? How come you got this house?”

Spike followed her, stuffing his hands into his pants’ pockets. “Well, the old man passed away.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Buffy said, stopping to turn back to face him and surprisingly gave him a gentle look.

“It’s okay pet, the guy was a bastard.” She watched as he rested his hand up on the back of his neck, letting his arm’s weight sag down as if trying to release tension from that part of his body. He looked up at her through hooded eyelids and Buffy began to feel like as if she was being swept off her feet again. Turning away so as not to let him see her flustered face Buffy continued her path down through the gardens, walking slowly for him to keep up with her.

Minutes of silence passed through them and to Spike, Buffy seemed to be admiring the land of his estate when in reality she was trying to work up the courage to ask her half-unanswered questions. Finally, she opened her mouth to speak.

“Spike...” Her voice trailed off as she looked down at the ground. He fell into step right next to her and looked down at her, watching Buffy nervously chewing her lips.

“Yes pet?” This time his voice was gentle and Buffy wondered just how long it would stay like that.

“Um...wow...I’ve never been this nervous to ask for anything since I had met my instructor at the dance academy for the first time five years ago-“ Buffy cut herself off when she noticed the amused smirk on Spike’s lips at the fact that she was babbling.

He stepped forward towards her and Buffy almost took a step back except his hand caught her cheek in a gentle sweep, cupping it, leaving Buffy to stand still. He didn’t make a move to kiss her and he would have gotten away with it, what with her being all frozen and staring into her eyes. “Don’t ever be scared to ask me a question, kitten.”

That’s a lot easier said than done. You scare the crap out of me, Giles. She said in her head, not daring to repeat it out loud.

Willing herself to speak, Buffy began, “Well...we went over this very briefly but kind of got moved away from this subject...”

“And what subject is that?” Finally he moved away from her and put his hands in his pockets, which allowed Buffy to think.

“My career,” she said softly almost as if she was embarrassed to talk about it. “I mean...it’s not really a career. Not like it used to be when I was in New York, and I don’t exactly get paid for it, but it’s what I do.” Again, she caught herself babbling. Letting out a heavy sigh Buffy willed herself to continue. “And...I am sorry to say that while I may be your mistress, this is one thing you cannot control. Whether you like it or not I will continue to dance.” Her eyes sparked by the time she was finished and she tensed herself for an argument, adrenaline coursing through her at the thought of him stopping her when he hadn’t even said he would yet. Buffy stood still, her head held high and her chin raised defiantly.

“I wouldn’t stop you,” Spike said, practically chuckling as he turned back the way they had come from and started heading towards the house. Buffy was about to protest, an argument ready to roll from her tongue before she realized he had agreed with her. She stared at him in amazement for the second time today. Noticing that he was walking away Buffy power walked after him.

“Wait a minute. You’re actually going to let me still do ballet?” she asked breathlessly, calling after him.

“Why? Would you rather I force you to quit?” Spike asked over his shoulder.

“No...it’s just I rather expected you to make me quit,” Buffy said quietly. Spike stopped suddenly and she froze, thinking he was going to yell at her again.

“Do you really think I’m that much of a bastard, luv?” he asked, hurt evident in his voice and she wasn’t sure if he expected an answer. Before Buffy could even open her mouth Spike continued, “I know you love dancing. Your dad told me that. I am not that much of a ponce. Give me some credit.” Suddenly the bleached blonde continued to walk away again.

Buffy wanted to kick herself. “No. Spike I didn’t mean it like that. I was just being a bitch. I’m sorry.”

“Apology accepted.” Still moving forward he turned his head to stare at her. “Besides, I always figured you could put on a show for me.”

Buffy hadn’t caught onto what he meant until he began waggling his eyebrows at her in a suggestive manner. Letting out a ‘hmph’, Buffy glared at him. “Don’t count on it!” she said through gritted teeth.

Pulling her by the arm so she practically fell against his chest, Spike held her close while looking down into her eyes. “Come on pet, I know you wanna dance for me.” His voice had that low husky tone to it. Like the one he had used on her that night up on the balcony, and it made her shiver involuntarily. Spike pushed back a loose strand of hair behind her ear. His face was so close to hers that she thought he was going to kiss her again. However, she didn’t push him away. As his lips inched closer to hers, Buffy’s breathing became heavier. She closed her eyes waiting until she felt him pull away and chuckle. “Yeah you don’t want me at all.” Her eyes fluttered open and she stared at him, eyes wide and confused. “So...when do you have rehearsal?”

She wanted to yell at him but that would make her seem even more foolish, so she answered his question. “Every day. From six in the morning till about eight,” Buffy told him. “I usually take Dawn. She’s in one of the roles in the production which is put on by my partner Lorne.”

“Lorne?” Spike asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Yeah. He studied at the dance academy with me. I’ve known him for years it seems,” Buffy told him openly. However, at the back of Spike’s mind he wondered if he should be jealous.

“So you two spend a lot of time together?” Spike asked cautiously. She nodded her head.

“Yeah. Especially the week before opening night.” Spike found himself clenching his teeth.

“When is opening night?”

Buffy stared at him, wondering why he was asking. “In a month and a half.”

Spike nodded his head but didn’t say anything for a while. “Remind me when it gets closer and I’ll make sure to buy tickets.”

Buffy’s head shot up. Shock encompassed her again for the- what, hundredth time that day? “You want to go?”

“Of course pet.”

“Mr. Giles?” A voice called loudly from a distance. Both blonde heads turned to find Tara standing at the edge of the steps leading from the porch to the walkway.

“Yes?” Spike said through gritted teeth. Surprisingly, Tara didn’t budge. She didn’t show fear.

“Lunch is ready.”

Spike nodded. “Thank you Tara.” Buffy watched as Tara nodded at Spike before turning to walk back into the house. Pulling herself free from his hold Buffy started back towards the house. Stopping at the steps, she turned back towards him, a grateful smile lighting up her face.

“Thank you, for letting me be able to keep on dancing. It means a lot to me.” Her words were true, he could tell that much.

“No problem pet. Come on, we have lunch waiting for us,” he said, coming back to stand next to her. Putting his hand on the small of her back, he led her inside.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*


Buffy stepped into the dining room which Spike had showed her earlier. He had said it was the smaller dining room of the two. The larger one which was just down the hall was for when ‘company’ came for dinner. In this one it was simply decorated.

A large oak table that could seat ten totals, was placed in the middle of the room. Four beautiful, yet simply carved chairs that matched the etchings of the wood on the table and had fabric cushioning sat on each side of the table, with two larger chairs which were a little more grand at the head of each side. A little armoire was in the corner, displaying antique china. Buffy was told it was Spike’s great grandmother’s and she prized it very much. Buffy could see why, seeing as the intricate hand done designs on the plates, cups, and bowls, were both unique and beautiful. The walls were painted a soft blue, allowing the dining room occupants to feel at peace while they enjoyed their meals.

The little blonde followed in after Spike who quickly stepped aside to reveal to Buffy that the dining room was already filled with others. Seven of the ten chairs were full, leaving one spot at the head of the table empty, which was situated in front of the open French doors leading to the patio. The spot right next to it was empty as well.

At the clearing of Spike’s throat, which Buffy found was a way for him to make his presence known, all bickering at the table ceased, and they pushed back their chairs, standing up to show respect. The silence told her that they were like children from the old ways of time that did all this when a father entered. This was exactly what Spike was. He was the head of this household. The boss. Respect was not politely expected. It was demanded.

“Well, I see we’re the last to get here,” Spike said to no one in particular. He turned slightly as if to show-case Buffy to the occupants, leaving her to look down at her feet. Would this be how he always acted when he first introduces me to someone? Buffy asked herself. “Everyone this is Ms. Buffy Summers. I know you all understand why she is here.” Buffy continued to look down at the ground, her cheeks again turning a rosy red. “I expect you all to treat Ms. Summers with respect. If I have heard that you haven’t I will make sure it’s dealt with.” The tone in Spike’s voice sounded so cold, Buffy looked up to see the expression on Spike’s face. It held such seriousness and certainty that if anyone messed with her, Spike would not be a happy mafia leader. Deep down it left Buffy feeling assured that she was safe from these people.

“Wait, why is she here?” Buffy looked over to see who had asked the question. A small scraggly blonde guy who stood on the side facing the entrance of the dining room looked at her curiously before looking around the table, waiting for an answer.

Suddenly a blonde girl spoke up bluntly, “She’s here to give Spike great orgasms of course!”

“Ahn!” A familiar man to Buffy who was next to the blunt blonde said through gritted teeth as he looked from his boss to the blonde girl.

Buffy heard Spike chuckle from his stance next to her.

“Buffy, I’d like you to meet the people who will be working with me every single day,” Spike said, waving an arm towards the group surrounding the table.

The blonde girl spoke up. “Except me, because I like being my own boss.”

“This, my pet, is the beautiful Anyanka,” Spike introduced, while laughing at her antics. The woman who spoke bluntly now had a name to Buffy. Both blonde girls smiled at each other; a warm greeting smile.

“Call me Anya, please. Only my parents call me the name Anyanka.” Buffy nodded okay and quickly went back to paying attention to Spike.

“The man next to her is Xander, he’s in charge of my surveillance and is her husband as well.”

Xander smiled at Buffy in greeting, while Anya wrapped her arm through the crook of Xander’s elbow, smiling at her brunette husband. “We hope Spike gives you just as great orgasms as Xander does for me.”

This time Buffy couldn’t help but giggle amusingly while her cheeks still blushed a bright pink tint.

“Anya. Remember those talks we had about private conversations?” Xander asked his loving wife through his own embarrassed blushing. Anya nodded but looked away with disinterest. It seemed obvious to Buffy that Xander had yet to get used to his wife’s straightforward talk.

“Ah, don’t bust her chops Harris. Let the girl speak her mind. At least she’s complimenting you rather than insulting you. She could be saying something about your size.” A brunette female stood across from Anya at the table objected.

“Thank you Faith. Just to clear it all up, Xander has a very nice sized penis.” Anya announced to the table. The woman Faith just laughed while Xander looked like as if he wanted to bang his head against the table. The rest of the occupants looked around the room coughing uncomfortably.

Buffy turned her head up to Spike and gave him a questioning look. The mafia boss just shook his head. “That Buffy is Faith. The only woman I have working so well for me.”

Faith turned around fully to look over at Buffy while giving the new arrival a smirk that reminded Buffy of Spike’s own. Buffy gasped, realizing it was the same woman who had come to the dance floor for her the night she was at Chaos.

“Hiya B!” Faith greeted. She turned back around and leaned against the table to stare down, obviously bored already.

“You already know Gunn and Wesley.” Gunn was next to Faith and Wesley at the other end of the table head. The large black man smiled and gave her a small wave, which Buffy returned. Wesley in turn smiled at Buffy, giving her a small courteous nod. “Next to Faith is Andrew.”

“Hi.” It was the blonde boy who had questioned Buffy’s reason for being here. He sat on the other side of Faith.

“Yeah he’s the nerdy one,” Faith teased, giving Andrew a smug glance.

“I’m not a nerd!” Andrew objected, verging on high pitch. Faith chuckled and rolled her eyes, before she began to tick off her fingers.

“Do you spend a lot of your time behind a computer?” Faith asked. Andrew nodded. “Do you masturbate to female star trek characters?” Again, Andrew nodded his head.

“You’re a nerd,” Anya said for Faith. Andrew let out a huff of breath before leaning back in his chair, pouting.

Without a word Spike led Buffy to an empty seat between Anya and the empty seat at the head of the table. She sat down and smiled at Gunn who was now across from her. Just as Spike sat down the others took their seat as well. Finally, Tara and two other servant girls walked in with trays of food.

After placing plates in front of everyone, they left. Nothing was said for a while as they ate, until Spike spoke up.

“I’m sure you all heard from Wesley about the Abbott call.” Buffy looked up confused but figured he probably wasn’t talking to her, or Anya. It was a business talk with his employees.

Buffy watched as Faith nodded her head and began to speak after swallowing a bite of her food. “Yeah. When are we doing the job?”

“Tomorrow night. I want Wesley and Xander on the surveillance of the perimeter. You are going to do it at a Motel 6. He’s ordered a girl through one of the rings. Only instead of a getting one, he’s going to get you. Got it pet?” Spike asked Faith and she nodded with a devilish smile. “Andrew here is going to make sure you need the equipment and Gunn’s going to help you with clean up.”

“Why clean up boss?” Xander spoke up.

“Because I don’t want it to look like a messy hit you ninny. People are going to know it is our family, and if we make it look sloppy people are going to stop taking us seriously. Remember?” Spike said, slightly irritated.

Unconsciously Buffy swallowed loudly. Out of the corner of her eyes, she surveyed all the occupants of the table. The others all looked so calm. Even Anya. The blonde woman didn’t even seem to be fazed and from what Buffy observed this seemed to be their normal routine. It was completely new to Buffy. As well as upsetting. Her father never spoke about his business in front of his family but it was always behind the confinements of his door to the study.

The thought of the people around her plotting the death of an unfortunate person made Buffy’s stomach turn. She didn’t say innocent, simply because the person who they were currently planning to assassinate was probably just as low and involved in the life of crime as those around her. Though, it was still unsettling. As they continued to discuss the way they were going to ‘take out’ Mr. Abbott, whoever he was, Buffy found herself getting lost in her own thoughts.

She cursed herself for the countless time. Because, again, she had forgotten what type of man Spike really was. Dangerous. Deceitful. Deadly. The three D’s that Buffy would always continue to repeat in her head about William Spike Giles. It would be the new beat she would dance her life to.

Taking another bite of her sandwich, she tried to tune out the conversations going on around her by repeating her new mantra.

Dangerous. Deceitful. Deadly.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*


Buffy stepped off the elevator, but didn’t stop to wait for Spike. It’s not like I need to be shown around everywhere.

She came up to her door and was about to open it and step inside but found Spike’s hand over hers, halting her movements. He pulled her around to face him, placing his hand against the door.

“What’s wrong pet? You’ve been quiet since lunch,” Spike asked, turning his voice now, to its more charming, gentler side. Buffy inwardly growled.
What’s wrong? What’s wrong? You are a murderer. You may not pull the trigger, but you might as well. The reason I’ve been quiet all lunch is simply because I had to remind myself the man that you really are! Buffy screamed subconsciously. How she wished she could say it aloud. However, knowing Spike this past week, and most of the time she spent pissing him off, Buffy found herself thinking it was wise to bite her tongue.

“I’m just tired. Lorne worked us all very hard today at rehearsal. If you don’t mind I’d like to go rest for the rest of the afternoon.” Again, she didn’t wait for him. Gently pushing his arm away, the ballet dancer gracefully eased herself back into her room, shutting the door in Spike’s face.

Buffy leaned against the door, and took a deep intake of breath and closing her eyes. Truly, she did have a headache coming on.

Silently to herself, Buffy walked to the bathroom, repeating the Three D’s again.

Authors Notes: Kind of drabble but things will of course start to pick up more now that she has moved in.Like it? Hate it? Please give me honest reviews.