Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow these reviews make me so happy. I'm glad you all like it. I know there were alot of grammar errors in the first few chapters but I didn't have my beta read it because she couldn't. She read this one...so thank you to Jennifer. But sadly I need a new beta because Jennifer will not be able to help me due to personal matters for her. So if anyone would be so kind and has beta'd before if you would be willing to help me out I'd love you forver. My e-mail is on my profile. Enjoy
Chapter 3: In the end you do it to protect those you love

“Good evening Miss Summers. Would you like me to take your bags for you?”

“No I‘ve got it.” Buffy objected grabbing hold of the last shopping bag from her trunk. “Though, thank you for your consideration Jeffrey.” Jeffrey nodded his head moved to close the trunk door for Miss Summers.

“Miss. Your mother arrived earlier than her planned arrival. She’s up in her room.”

Buffy stopped. She had hoped she would be home before her mother arrived back from her trip in order to greet her.

Joyce Summers had been in a hospital clinic in San Francisco going through a rather difficult surgery to remove one of the larger brain tumors. Hank Summers had researched and sought out the best Neurology Hospital that were greatly known for successful surgeries in removing tumors. Joyce had flown up to San Francisco a week ago to get settled and her father had gone with her. After the surgery Hank took a flight back and told the rest of the family that the surgery was a success. Joyce only had to fly up there one more time in order to get out the last tumor. A week later now she had driven down with her private doctor. Knowing that her mother had pulled through with a successful surgery made Buffy feel rejoiced.

“How was she?” Buffy asked about her mother’s arrival condition knowing she’d be very tired after the trip.

“Your mother seemed to be rather well. She did admit to being a bit tired and decided to rest for a while. Your sister is visiting with her right now.” Jeffrey informed her. Buffy simply nodded and began walking again into the house. “Your father said he’d like to see you before you go up to see your mother, Miss Summers.”

“Do you know what it‘s about?”

Jeffrey shook his head. “Would you like me to take your bags up to your room. Your father is waiting for you in the study.”

“Yes thank you. Can you also tell my mother that I’m here and I’ll be up to see her after I talk with my father?”

Again Jeffrey nodded “Certainly.” The butler took her shopping bags and began walking up the large grand staircase. Buffy turned and started walking down the hall towards her father’s study. She pondered in her head what her father could want.

It was about 6:30 in the evening and she had been expecting her mother to arrive around eight. After shopping with Willow for more than the three hours she had tried to promise, Buffy and her best friend went to go grab something to eat before Buffy drove Willow home.

Buffy came to her father’s study and opened the door forgetting to knock. She stopped and was about to say something until she heard what her father and his men were discussing.

“So your saying Spike wants Buffy for his pleasures in exchange for the families help?” One of Hank’s guys said. Buffy saw her father nod his head and suddenly she couldn’t hold the gasp inside of her.

All heads snapped to where she stood with her hand on the doorknob of the opened door and her other had placed over her shocked opened mouth.

“Elizabeth!” Hank exclaimed surprised to see her there. He had no choice but to tell her now since she had practically already heard. For the millionth time since Buffy had learned to defy her Hank, the house was about to become a hell war zone between him and his daughter.

Every single one of the men stood up out of respect since Buffy was now in the room. Quickly the heads and stares looked to each other knowing what was going to happen.

“What the hell do you mean Spike wants me for his pleasures? Who the fuck is Spike?“ Buffy screamed forgetting who held the name Spike.

“Elizabeth Summers do not take that tone with me or use that language I am your father and I will not have you disrespecting me!”

Buffy’s eyes flashed with the same anger her father’s held. “Answer my question.” Buffy demanded through gritted teeth.

Hand was already losing his patience for his eldest daughter. He did not understand why Buffy constantly sought out to defy him or piss him off. Was this how he was like? Hank had asked knowing that most of Buffy’s negative behavior came from him. Hank didn’t really care right now that his daughter was making him look bad in front of his employees. What he worried about was the fact that he was slowly tearing about his precious daughters world.

“Honey calm down.” He said trying to soothe her.

“Not until you tell me what the hell is going on and what it has to do with me and guy named Spike.”

Hank sighed. “Spike is William Giles. You met him today, you remember?” All Hank got in return was a deeper glare. He stuttered for the next part he was about to say. “He...requested for you to be his mistress.”

Buffy just stood there now with a stupefied look on her face. Her grip that was still on the door handle was becoming tighter and she could feel all the blood rush from her face. Slowly she tried to get her brain to process everything. Spike was William Giles, for some reason she felt she knew that. And, her father just told her that Mr. Giles had asked for her to be his mistress. WHAT?!?!Buffy’s thoughts screamed and the petite blonde felt a sudden head ache come on.

She opened her mouth to object. “Well you can say his application was rejected.”

Hank winced at the raising of her voice. “I fear it’s not that simple.”

He‘s got to be joking! “Dad you better tell him that he can not just come in here and say that he wants me as his whore! And...and expect it to actually come about.” Buffy was on the verge of hysterics. She put her hands on her hips and waited for her father’s response.

“Like I said Elizabeth it’s not that simple.” Buffy gave her father a deadly look that said Well-make-it-that-simple. “Elizabeth I’m sure you know what type of man Mr. Giles is .”

Before she could stop herself the words flew out of her mouth. “Yeah he’s a monster just like you!” She pointed an accusing finger at the man who had been a part of giving her life and was known as her father, but right now wasn’t being a dad.

Hank tried to hide the hurt that appeared in his eyes at his daughters words. She was right though, he admitted facing the truth. Who in the world would give their own daughter away for a deal to a man who was known to be one of the most feared and powerful evil four men in the city. One of those four mentioned men that's who. Not even a man; a monster just as Elizabeth described him.
Silence filled the room. All looks were on Hank. Waiting for a another blow up reaction out of him to put his daughter into her place.

“The three of you!” Hank said referring to his three men. “Go! And make sure no one disturbs us.” His was voice was hard and cold just like Buffy’s, and she could see the coldness in his eyes that matched hers.

Buffy knew what was coming once her father’s men closed that study door. She had over stepped her bounds by calling a mafia leader a monster. It didn’t matter whether you were his daughter or not, no one talked to one of the bosses like that. Especially in front of his ’business employees’

The minute Buffy heard the door to the study click signaling that the door was close, Buffy then heard her father’s angry voice.

“Don’t you ever make me look bad in front of those guys ever again. Do you understand me young lady?” The words felt like they were cutting at her but Buffy still held her ground. No matter what she was not going to be afraid of her father like most people were and she was going to dig her heels into the carpet if he made her go to William Giles as a mistress.

“Don’t whore me off to people like you then!!!”

They just stood there staring at each other breathing deeply from yelling at one and another. The anger and hate for him was evident in her eyes.

“Like I said for the third time! It’s not that simple.”

Buffy was starting to get annoyed by what he kept saying. Her father was starting to sound like a broken record and she desperately wanted to kick it to make it stop repeating the same thing...hell maybe even change the song entirely.

“You do know who Angelus O’Connor and Riley Finn is right?” Her father asked her. His voice was a little more gentle but she could tell he was still angry like she was. All Buffy did was nod her head yes.
“Well...it seems that they have made an agreement to help one another. Which means there's a chance their working together to take me and Spike out.” There was the brunt force of it. The horror that some one was trying to kill and end her father’s gang. She tried not to show pity for it because she was suppose to hate her father right now but someone was threatening a family member of hers. “I asked Spike here today to join our men together just incase our assumptions are true. Except Spike wanted something to make sure I wasn’t going to stab him in the back or anything. He wanted something valuable. Something that meant everything to me. Something that he could hurt easily just incase I hurt him.”

Her. Elizabeth Buffy Anne Summers was what William Giles a.k.a. Spike wanted for his down payment. As if she were some object that could be given away.

“I tried dear. I desperately tried to see if he would take anything else but that man wants you. Before he left he told me you were intriguing and a challenge.” Hank told her.

Buffy sat down suddenly feeling sick and faint. Her world was crashing down. Why did she have to be born to a mafia leader.

“Dad you can’t seriously be asking me to go to that monster.” Her voice wavered because she was on the verge of tears.

Out of the corner of her eyes Buffy saw her father shake his head. “Sadly Elizabeth I’m telling you. I already agreed to what Spike demanded.”
Buffy screamed at him, “You do not just give away your daughter for help from another monster.” There she went again calling her father a monster. “This is the twenty first fucking century Hank! This isn’t the
fifteenth century where you marry away daughter to the highest bidder in order for help in war! Your not even telling me to marry him. Your telling me to be his little whore!!! The woman he goes to take out on what ever his sick pleasures are. Ever think about that Hank? I‘ll be his little sex toy.”

Every word that she used to describe what she would be put through caused Hank Summers to want to die more and more. His daughter was no longer going to be innocent and it was going to be his fault. Most fathers would chase away any man that had the slightest idea at wanting to take away their daughter’s innocence. Instead like the bastard he was, Hank was pushing her towards the guy.

The blonde got up angrier than she would ever be at her father and stormed towards the door.

“Elizabeth!” Hank called after her but she didn’t stop. “They’ll come after them!” At his words Buffy stopped. Her back went rigid. He was referring to the two people that meant the most to her. The place where he knew Hank could get his daughter to agree with him. “If you don’t go to Spike, O’Connor and Finn could come after them. They’d go after something that means the most to me. You, your sister, and your mother. And if we don’t have the help of the Giles gang me and my men will never be able to protect you or your sister and mother.” Slowly Buffy turned to him with tears slowly falling down her cheeks and he hated himself for telling her this. “Do you know what they’d do to your mother? What Angelus could do to you or Dawn? I’ve heard he takes a liking to young virgins. Just around Dawn’s age. Finn would take you as his making sure you wouldn’t be able to protect Dawn. They might even go after Willow since her father works for me. No one will be safe if O‘Connor and Finn go against me and Spike.”

The words were harsh but he had to get Buffy to see that the world she was saying no to was a lot better than the world she wanted to desperately stay in. “If you go to Spike and be what he asks you to be, you’ll safe and your mother and sister would be safer.”

“I....I need time to think.” She began walking to leave the study.

“Elizabeth!” But his call for his daughter was drowned out by the sharp slamming of the door.
*~~~*~~~*~~~*

As Buffy walked to her mother’s room she tried not to think about what would happen to her. The world her father had painted for her with his words seemed horrible. Worse then anything she had heard go on throughout her father’s dealings. Sadly the idea of going to Spike willingly would be a lot better and much safer than being forced into with the other two gangs. Even though she was practically being forced into Spike’s she could at least have some say in things.

Plastering on a fake smile Buffy came up to her mother and father’s bedroom door and knocked softly. She heard her mother’s cheerful voice, which was the exact opposite of what Buffy was currently feeling.
Slowly Buffy opened the door. Her mother sat at up in her bed with her back against the head board, a bunch of pillows resting behind her. Dawn laid on her stomach on the other side of her bed looking at her mother. Both the two Summers women turned to look at Buffy.

Joyce smiled at her eldest daughter and opened her arms, bidding Buffy to come and greet her with a warm hug. Observing her mother closely, Buffy walked to her mother to hug her. Her mother’s head was wrapped in a floral scarf hiding the bandage and the bald spot on her head. To Buffy, Joyce looked tired but she could tell her mom was trying to hide the fact so she could see her daughters. Buffy bent down to hug her mother, feeling as if she could break Joyce if she hugged too tight.

“How are you feeling?” Buffy asked.

“Rather well seeing as I just drove here. I told Wilson to go fast.” Joyce joked with a smile on her lips and in her eyes. Buffy wished she could smile like that too right now but even the fact that her mother was back had been ruined from what her father had just told her minutes ago. Buffy nodded and mustered up a smile.

She looked to Dawn, pushing back strands of hair from her sisters eyes. Dawn wasn’t a lot like Buffy but you could always tell they were sisters. Dawn had brown eyes and hair opposite to Buffy’s blonde and green eyes. Buffy was rather short and Dawn was tall. Though they did have many things in common, like the looks they got in their eyes sometimes, or the hate for what their father was into, but most commonly well known was their love for their mother and ballet. When Dawn had become age 7 she wanted to be just like Buffy and do dance as well. When Buffy had left for A.B.D.C. in New York, Dawn wanted to go with her. Most of Dawn’s ballet instructors now, believed very much that Dawn would be just as great as her older sister. Dawn was even staring as one of the roles in the ballet that Lorne and Buffy were putting on.

Buffy’s eyes misted with tears when she thought about what the man Angelus could do to her poor baby sister of 14 if she did not agree to go to Spike. Finally Buffy came to a decision. Sitting down she tried to ease herself into the conversation between Dawn and Joyce.

The rest of the night she spent with her sister and her mom. Sometimes she would seem distracted because she’d think about her situation. Would Spike give her freedom or simply keep her locked up? Was she going to live at his place or would Buffy be allowed to stay at home? And if not was she ever going to see her family and friends again? What would happen to her dance career and the theatre piece with Lorne? So many questions came to her mind that Buffy felt the head ache coming back again.

“Buffy dear are you alright?” Her mother’s gentle voice asked her. Buffy just nodded her head not wanting to worry her mother by telling her the situation she was in. Besides she bet her father didn’t want Joyce or Dawn to ever know. Joyce would certainly kill Hank if she found out that he gave their daughter away. Suddenly another question came to her mind, What were they going to tell them if Buffy agreed. But Buffy shook it out of her head deciding that tonight she was done with questions, she just wanted to rest. She’d ask her father all these unanswered questions in the morning when she was sure to be more calm.

After declaring that their mother needed to get rest and sleep for the night, Buffy and Dawn left to go to bed.

When arriving at her room, Buffy quickly put away her new purchases, placing her new ballet shoes with the bought ribbon in her gym bag, before she walked into her adjoining bathroom to shower. She desperately tried not to think about all that had been placed on her tonight but she couldn’t help it. Images of William or Spike flashed in the back of her mind. His blue eyes that looked gentle to her. She imagined what it would be like if she were his mistress She wondered if he would be gentle with her while they made love-had sex Buffy caught herself. Have to be in love with the person to make love to them And she was definitely not in love with Spike Giles. Yes he was sexy and handsome but you don’t fall in love with people for their looks. More for their personality. And, so far what Buffy had observed, she did not like Spike’s personality.

Coming out of the shower, Buffy toweled herself dry feeling the blush on herself from when she had the thought that she and Spike would be sleeping together. Quickly she donned her pajamas and slipped between the covers of her bed.

That night Buffy cried herself to sleep.
*~~~*~~~*~~~*

Hank awoke the next morning feeling like crap more than anything. He turned and looked at his sleeping wife. How could he tell her that he agreed to give their daughter to an evil man. An evil man like you. The thought rang creeping into Hank’s head. He got out of bed and began to get ready for the day. When Hank came out of the shower there was a knock at the bedroom door. He answered in his robe, finding Jeffrey on the other side holding a folded piece of paper.

“Good morning sir. Your daughter asked me to give you this before she left for her morning training.” Jeffrey handed him the note.

“Thank you Jeffrey.”

I‘ll do it. But for mom and Dawn only. You can burn in hell for all I care.
Buffy


The note hurt but he couldn’t be angry at her for it. He was ruining her life and he’d just have to deal with her anger and hate towards him. “Tell my daughter that when she gets home from practice that I’ll have to see her to discuss the Spike issue.”

Jeffrey nodded and left after Hank closed the door. Hank crumpled the note in his tight grip and let the few tears fall at the fact that he had just lost his daughters love towards him forever.

A/N: Thats Chapter 3. Wonder what will be decided next chapter when Buffy and Hank talk.