Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, has it really been since 2011 that I updated? I know it's been a long time, but 2 years?!? God what is wrong with me. I've never had such a case of writers block or lack of desire to write. This morning I was in the shower and made the decision to finally sit down and hammer out this chapter. I feel I've finally settled into a groove of the changes in my life. I've had a new job since April that allows me to have weekends off and is a stable schedule so now I think I'll be able to be more consistent with my time and planning out my writing. Fingers crossed. I apologize for the hold up in an update. I hope no-ones given up on the finished product of this story, because I surely haven't I have every intention of finishing it, and I want to do so before I actually hit the flippin' 10yr mark. God where has the time gone.

Anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter. It took some time and research trying to give me some knowledge on guns, so I apologize to anyone who knows guns if I totally mucked it up. Internet research can only do so much.
A/N: If you want to keep up on me and have a direct way to hassle me into updating continuously you get find me on my tumblr. CLICK

Chapter 37: Guns

“There are typically two types of hand guns, pistols and semi-automatic pistols, because you’re a newbie and I don’t want your head to get blown off in the middle of anything because you’re too busying focusing on cocking the gun and firing I’m going to stick to the semi-automatic handguns with you.”

Buffy looked at the table before her where guns were neatly set up and organized from what she could tell by a certain type of grouping known only to Faith, however it all looked like a jumbled mess to Buffy.

“Does that mean it’ll just keep shooting if I have my hand on the trigger?” Buffy asked.

Faith looked at the blonde like she had grown two heads. “You’re thinking of machine guns, and unless you have a large enough purse, I highly doubt you’ll want that.” She guided Buffy from one end of the table to the other. “There are a lot of hand gun brands, but the most used is Smith and Wesson, Beretta, and Glock. And the use of it all depends on what works for you. Accuracy is similar and good else the company wouldn’t make it. So deciding on what gun is for you depends on just that…you.”

“Well how do you know what’s best for you.”

“Size and how it fits in your hand. What Spike uses could be way too large are harder for me to carry, you catching my drift B?” Buffy nodded her head. “Not only that but then you factor in weight, the use, and recoil.”

Buffy just stared at the brunette before her; it was as if Faith was speaking about calculus. Right now Faith was the teacher, and this was her biggest forte she had said when she had brought Buffy out here. She loved blades but the feel of a gun just made her skin tingle and the power of pulling the trigger was like having the power of God channeled to your fingertips.

The brunette had woken Buffy early in the morning, knocking at Spike’s door the morning after their date night that had gone sour due to the ambush of what looked like Riley Finn’s orders. When Buffy had asked Faith to teach her how to shoot a gun, she hadn’t been expecting it to be so early in the morning and certainly not just after the night. She had opened the door to Faith, Buffy bleary eyed and confused, while Faith stood fully dressed and down up as her usual and wide awake. Buffy wondered if the brunette ever slept. Spike had said she was always roaming the house or the streets late at night finding her entertainment while most of the house was already tucked in bed. Not only that but Buffy knew Faith was the first to rise getting in any form of workout she could. The woman had less hours of sleep than Buffy had in New York and a lot more responsibility.

Faith had told her to get dressed and meet her downstairs in the back gardens. Buffy although very sleepy was set in her decision to learn how to protect herself with a gun. She had come close to almost being shot last night and she didn’t want to rely on Spike having to look after her and handle his own should they ever come into another gun fight again.

So ultimately Buffy got dressed and ready for the day, as much as she was tired. The rush of last night had forced her to crash when she and Spike finally crawled into bed and slept. They hadn’t had sex and ultimately the mood for anything of the sort was ruined. Spike was still royally pissed off at the whole idea of them being ambushed and Buffy just wanted to curl up to him and feel safe again. He had been rigid when he had laid down and barely said a word to her since his mother had left after helping Buffy finish cleaning up. However the second Buffy had laid her head on her chest and wrapped her body around his he had relaxed and kept her tightly to him as if to reassure himself that she was all right and safe.

Buffy had asked what was going to be done about Alan and Spike had assured her they would take care of his funeral and be sure any of his family was taken care of. Buffy didn’t tell Spike what she had asked of Faith, mainly because she worried he’d stop her but also she didn’t really know how to bring it up to him. Not only that but she knew he’d feel guilty that she had come to this decision and feel he wasn’t protecting her enough. However that wasn’t the case. Last night showed Buffy that anything could happen and could have ended a lot worse.

Because of that she had slipped out his room, quietly letting Spike sleep as much as possible because she knew he’d be running himself down to the bone today because of what had happened. She had met Faith down at the pool and followed her across the large expanse of the back garden lawn. Buffy had explored some of the grounds since her initial arrival but the grounds were so large she had yet to cover it all. Together the two of them had gone past the entrance of the hedge maze, following it’s outside perimeter to the side where to Buffy’s surprise a firing range had been set up.

The length of it was set up between the side hedges of the maze and the concrete wall of the estate’s grounds. The ending where the targets had been set up was against concrete wall that connected to the sidewall showing the farthest back wall of the grounds. Two targets were set up and the paper targets only had a few holes in each of them. A table had been set up before them which was where Faith had then unloaded the large duffel bag she had been carrying.

“Mostly we’re use glock and berretta. They’re manufactured overseas which means they’re harder to track when we get them from our dealer.”

“All these guns are illegal?” Buffy asked her eyes wide. And to think these were only handguns, she knew for a fact that the estate’s gun supply was not limited to just what was before her.

“Most of them, but if we register too many ATF has grounds to snoop and registered guns can be tracked.”

Faith picked a gun that was all black and the body rather bulky due to its squarer frame. The grip of the gun had grooves for where your fingers went. “Spike likes the glocks, said he can get a more steady shot. Me on the other hand I like my guns like I like the men...Italian.” She used her other hand to pull out a gun from behind her where she had tucked it. It was black and silver and unlike the glock she had just shown Buffy, had a lot more groove detail. “This is a berretta 92FS. Had this baby for six years.”

Faith put the glock down as well her gun on the table. “Okay, choose which one you want to try first.”

Buffy looked over the whole table. She saw a range in sizes and design styles. She didn’t want a small gun, she feared it would be too hard for her to really grasp. Seeing one that was similar to the handgun that Faith had indicated was what Spike used, she pointed to as her choice.

“Glock 19. A newer version of the Glock 17 and mostly just a little smaller. Probably better for you than the glock 17.” Faith informed her and Buffy nodded her head. “Now always assume the gun is loaded when you pick it up which means, don’t go waving it around, and picking it up all willy-nilly. Never put your finger on the trigger or even in the trigger guard when you pick it up or are just holding it. And always keep the gun pointing away from you or anyone else.” Faith told her firmly. She put her hand on her gun showing Buffy the placement of her hand was key and Buffy mirrored her with picking up the gun of choice. “Feel the weight of it and compare it to the strength it takes to hold it. If it’s too heavy shooting one round will be fine but having to hold it and adjust to the recoil after the first shot can be what determines whether you live or die in a split second.”

Buffy swallowed uneasily as she held the gun in her palm being sure the muzzle was never pointed at her or Faith. The metal was cool against her palm and the weight was new to her but it wasn’t down right heavy.

Faith put her gun back down and came to stand behind Buffy, grabbing the wrist that held the gun and slowly moving it so that Buffy was pointing the gun at the target, arm extended. She then guided her other hand to cup the one that was holding the gun, using it as a rest to holding the gun.

“Stand with your foot on the side that’s not holding the gun directly to being slightly behind your shoulders.” Buffy being sure to only move her legs followed her instructions. “Now hold the gun straight out and notice the notches at the top of the gun slide?”

“Yeah.”

“Good, those are your sights. Use that to line up with your target.” Closing her weaker eye Buffy lined up the grooves as much as possible with center of the target. “Okay now, all semi-automatics have a double action trigger. This means that when you pull it your cocking the gun and firing it. Because of that, the trigger needs more pull to it and you’ll have some resistance as your firing. Don’t shoot.” Faith warned her as she took Buffy’s left thumb and guided it to what Buffy guessed was unlocking the safety. Next she moved Buffy’s index finger to come into the trigger guard and rest against the trigger. Buffy could feel her blood pulsing in her body, pounding even in her ears. “Now before you shoot, you have to plant your feet firmly and as you pull the trigger breathe in from your diaphragm this will help with the recoil. Okay now when you’re ready, pull the trigger, and never close your eyes”

Buffy, trying to ease her breathing set her sight on aligning the target. She tried to keep her arms as steady as possible and with one deep breath pulled all the way on the trigger. Buffy pushed back against the kick that jolted through her body and tried to hear beyond the ringing of her ears at the crack of the gun’s discharge.

A low admiring whistle came from behind her as Faith looked beyond Buffy at the target, “Go ahead and put the gun down.”

Taking her finger out of the trigger guard she slowly set the weapon down on the table and shook her arm trying to wave off the tingle that was coursing from her fingertips all the way to her breastbone.

Buffy couldn’t believe it; she had actually fired a gun and from where she pinpointed her target, pretty decently as she has landed on the third inner ring.

“I did it!”

*~~~*~~~*~~~*

“Where’s Faith?” Spike asked Gunn in a harsh whisper as the two of them and Wesley stood on the front entrance awaiting their guests’ arrival.

Gunn shrugged his shoulders but pulled his phone out anyway to check for any messages from Faith.

Spike set his jaw into it’s agitated place before going to button the top button of his suit jacket. He had woken up, feeling as if he had gotten no sleep whatsoever and on top of that alone. The memory of last night haunted him all the way into his sleep where all he could hear was Buffy’s blood curdling scream of his name, a plea for him to help her. His lower jaw ached from being so tense in his sleep, and brain was exhausted. When he had rolled over to face the side that Buffy typically occupied of his bed he was met with an empty spot that was just beginning to get cold. At first he thought he had just woken up to his worst nightmare and that Buffy was really gone, but a note was left saying she was out with Faith, but not where. Spike had had no time in going in search of his mistress because not long after he woke up did Gunn come to his room to inform him that the LML street gang had agreed to meet. The head of LML, his sister and a couple of their lieutenants would be arriving shortly.

Xander rounded the corner, slowly moving towards them, and Anya trailed behind him looking anything but pleased. Gunn looked at the two of them, surprised to see them there.

“Didn’t think you’d want to be at this meeting Harris.” Gunn said, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“I didn’t but-“

“I wanted to make it very clear to this…Ampata,” Anya spat out the name with venomous disdain. “that Xander is not hers to be messed with. His penis belongs to me now. And only me.”

All three Wesley, Gunn, and Spike leaned over and looked at Xander with amused expressions on their faces, Xander on other hand wanted to bury himself six feet in the ground.

A beat of silence passed before Wesley coughed uncomfortably and continued to look out into the driveway. “Yes well, completely understandable, but it would be wise to not state that in front of her. If anything it will only challenge Ampata.”

“Oh! Chick fight!” Gunn whistled and Spike could only laugh at his staff.

“Xander do you know where Faith is?” Spike asked the flustering husband.

“Yeah I think she’s at the range.”

Spike’s eyebrow quirked up but he didn’t get a chance to say anything because a moment later, a loud deep rumble could be heard pulling up the driveway. Four motorcycles slowly made their way to rest around the long circular driveway of the Giles’ estate. The riders of the perfect condition Harley Davidson choppers were four of the highest power in the local street gang, La Mirada Locos, better known as the LML.

Three parked their bikes directly behind none other than the leader of LML, Adolfo Sanchéz, and sharing his bike sat his baby sister Ampata. LML wasn’t a full Mexican street gang but instead a majority of its members were Peruvian. It was rumored that the original members and their families, including Adolfo and Amapata, were long line of the descendants from Inca royalty. The LML street gang ran its territory in Northeast Los Angeles, and Spike had come upon them shortly after he had taken over for his uncle. A few of the businesses that Spike owned or overlooked had come into disputes with LML because they were on their turf and in turn belonged to them. Spike had worked out a deal to supply the gang with anything they might need as far as guns, drugs, or manpower if they left his businesses alone.

It was then that Xander had a run in with Ampata. At the time, her and Adolfo’s father were still at the head of the gang, but Ampata like her brother were both heavily involved in the daily affairs LML saw over. A small fling had started up between the two, but it had turned ugly after Xander had learned how difficult it was to deal with the Peruvian gang princess. Known to most of the gang, Ampata was nothing more than a man-eater. Going through guys quickly and practically sucking them dry of all resources and emotional stability. Some had disappeared randomly when it was known she wasn’t pleased with them. Xander felt he had been lucky to get out of their relationship alive.

Adolfo stood and helped his sister off the back of his motorcycle, and the other three, most likely Adolfo’s lieutenants, stood in an intimidating manner.

“Spike Giles.” Adolfo greeted, taking off his motorcycle gloves before coming up to shake the hand of the mafia king. Spike returned his firm grip, while nodding his greeting.

“Mr. Sanchéz,” Spike had never dealt with Adolfo at least not when it came to business. When he had his run ins with the LML gang it had been when Adolfo’s father was still in power, but only a year in a half ago did the man take the reigns as president of the LML LA chapter.

“Call me Adolfo. Mr. Sanchéz makes me feel like I’m back in school being regarded by the principle again.”

Both men laughed exchanging joking comments about drudging times of school before Spike and Adolfo’s men both made their way into the front door of the estate.

“I believe you know my sister, Ampata.” Adolfo introduced, looking back to his beautiful sister who trailed behind him, walking as if the foyer hall was her own catwalk. She smiled at Spike, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

“Yes.” Spike said looking back, with no interest, but not enough to insult Adolfo. “I believe she and one of my men were close.”

Anya who followed behind the rest with Gunn and Wesley gave an annoyed huff, making Xander send her a warning stare.

“I see Xander is doing well.” Ampata said breaking her silence for the first time. She looked at her former lover with coquettish eyes, making Xander squirm.

“Yes, we’re doing quite well, I’m Anya infact, his very loving wife who gives him amazing orgasms.” Anya stated matter of factly. She refused to be intimidated by the Peruvian bombshell that had at one time had Xander wrapped around her little finger.

Adolfo’s three stone-faced lieutenants broke their cool and begun chuckling.

“Ahn, why don’t you go find Faith and leave us to talk business.”

Ampata, feeling as if she won their unannounced war smirked at the irate blonde wife, who huffed. Before turning on her heel, she grabbed Xander to plant a heavy kiss to his lips then walking off without another word.

“She’s forward.” Adolfo said with amusement making Xander blushing with embarrassment.

Spike let out a snort, “You have no idea.”

“Women, eh?” the gang leader elbowed Spike causing both men to chuckle.

Ampata looked at her brother, annoyance rolling from her glare at him. She let out a harsh whisper of words that no one else could decipher except the LML lieutenants who couldn’t hide their amused smiles.

*~~~*~~~*~~~*


“What on earth are you bloody doin’?!?!”

Buffy turned over her hip lowering the gun from where she was aiming it at the target and stared back at Spike with wide eyes.

“Uh oh! Daddy caught us!” Faith teased before blowing a bubble of her gum.

Buffy let out an un-lady like snort, her eyes rolling closed. However Spike did not look amused as he glared both women down. Buffy put the gun that she was trying out on the table, before clasping her hands behind her back. She had perfected the move she was about to pull next over the many years of being a daughter to her father.

“Nothing!” She looked up at Spike with wide, innocent eyes and her brightest smile.

Spike’s eyebrow quirked up, and he stared at her as if she was stoned. “Yes because nothing makes it sound like a drive-by is going on in my gardens.” He crossed his arms across his chest and tilted his head, waiting for the right response.

“I think you’re imagining.”

“Buffy.” Spike said firmly. The blonde pouted before moving to the side to display the table behind her and Faith.

“Okay, okay. Faith is teaching me how to use a gun.”

Spike crossed his arms over his chest, and came closer, perusing the table with his hard stare. Buffy held her breath, waiting for him to blow a gasket. Would he be angry with her for asking Faith to teach her how to shoot? Would he be angry with Faith for indulging Buffy’s request? She knew after last night he was on edge and anything could very easily tip him over into his foul mood again.

But Buffy coaxed herself into standing tall about the matter. It would only make sense after last night that she at least learn how to aim and shoot a gun. She knew the threat against her, and it wasn’t narcissism that ensured that. It was just plain and simple. Buffy was daughter to Hank Summers. And in the exchange for their alliance she now belonged to Spike and everyone including her and Spike knew Buffy was becoming more than just a bed warmer to Spike. She was a prime target to hurt and control both men and Buffy would be damned if she just let herself be taken in order to do so without learning how to protect herself. Besides she couldn’t rely on someone else to protect her all on their own. It had been dangerous for Spike to take on the gun battle all on his own while at the same time looking after her.

Still looking at the table, Spike spoke: “Faith go back up to the house, have Gunn fill you in on what was discussed with LML.”

Faith being the wiser one, nodded and stepped towards the house without argument. Buffy gave her a look that spoke her thank you of Faith taking the time this morning. She gave Buffy a hopeful look before turning around fully.


Spike looked up at Buffy after he was sure Faith was a good distance from them. “So you want to learn how to shoot a gun.” It was more a statement than a question and Buffy nodded her head. “Is this because of last night.”

“Yes.”

He swore under his breath and ran his hand through his gelled hair. “I knew it. Buffy you have to understand that I will do everything in my power to protect you.” He wanted to reach out and touch her, bring her close to him. Last night had been scary, even for himself. He had been outnumbered and came close to losing if it hadn’t been for his own people coming at just the right time. The sight of Buffy being dragged out of the limo haunted him all last night and multiple times he had woken himself up to ensure that she was still in his bed curled around him.

“I know Spike. But last night was too much of a close call. It’s dangerous to both of us for me to rely on you to keep us both alive. I don’t doubt that you would try with every fiber of your being, but I can’t let you risk yourself when I can just as easily help.”

Spike mulled it over in his head. He didn’t like it one bit, but he had no valid argument against hers. He admired her need to learn, especially when he knew how against guns she was. He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to the top of her forehead.

“Okay, but I don’t want you carrying until we’re for sure you’re a good shot.” He unfolded his arms and took her by the arm to stand in front of him with her back to his front. He molded her body to his in the same stance he would normally take when he was practicing at the range. His hand caressed her hip and he reveled in her gasp and thrived to make her heart beat faster than it already was. He loved that he invoked such a reaction from her by a simple touch or close proximity. “What were you working with?”

“The Glock 19.” She said in a breathy whisper.

He smirked, loving it even more. Spike planned to drag her back to the bedroom after this and spend the afternoon driving moan and pleads from her body.

“Go ahead and pick it up.” She did as she was told, picking up the weapon just as Faith had showed her. His arm and hand came to cover hers that held the gun, guiding her to line up with the target. He nudged her other arm up to support the other arm. Her arms wavered a little but the second his free came to wrap across her stomach where he pulled her body closer against his and held her there, she became firm and relaxed. Spike wanted to groan at the feel of her body against his. He arm that coated hers tingled from the tips of his fingers all the way down to the erection that was growing in his pants and would soon make it’s presence known against the small of her back. Spike had never had such an erotic and intimate experience when it came to guns, But then again with Buffy anything could into erotic with her nearby. “Nothing more beautiful than my girl holding a gun.” He whispered into her ear.

Spike could see she was biting her lip and trying to not be affected by it all just as he was. She was going to fail miserably soon. He nudged her finger through the trigger guard and onto the trigger.

“Breathe in…and then breathe out.” As one they followed his mantra of breathing, focusing on the middle of the target. “Relax your shoulders and on the next breath in, pull the trigger.”

Exhaling one long breath, Buffy rolled her shoulders back, and in one hearty breath pulled the trigger. The crack of the gun echoed off the garden walls and after a few seconds they lowered the gun to the table and both his arms came to wrap around her and his chin rest on her shoulder. They both squinted to peer at the target down the long range and noticed the perfect bullet hole through the bull’s-eye of the target.

Buffy squealed in excitement bouncing slightly at her on-mark shot. She turned around in his arms wrapping her own tightly around him. Spike smiled pulling her tighter against him and whispering good job in her ear.

It was in that moment Spike came to a deeper realization of his feelings regarding his beautiful mistress.