Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you like this chapter. Had tears in my eyes while writng some parts. Please review I would love to hear your thoughts.
Chapter 13 - Ghosts of the past

The house was unusually quite, as it various guests were nursing various stages of hangovers, even Spike was suffering slightly. Dawn and Willow, being the only ones who seemed to be ok decided to take Luke out and away from the grumpy occupants. Buffy sat on the couch snuggled up with Spike, the movie that was on was taking their minds off how awful they were really feeling. Xander was sat with a pillow over his head, blocking out what little light was coming in the room, Giles with his tea being very British about it all, and Lucy was itching for something to do.

“Lucy do you have any pain killers?” Xander asked rubbing his temples.

“Nope sorry, but you can help me clear out the spare room if you want?” she smiled at him.

“Huh, I’m dieing here and you want to clean?” he asked shocked.

“Best way to deal with a hangover is to keep busy, you don’t feel as bad.” she said getting up grabbing him on her way.

The two left, Xander under protest, Buffy, Spike and Giles laughing at the argument that followed.

“I think she has a crush.” Buffy giggled.

“WHAT!” both man shouted.
“Oh come on you haven’t noticed the little looks those two have been giving each other since they met?”

“No, not Lucy and the whelp, never.” Spike spluttered.

“Well I suppose it could be worse” Giles added cleaning his glasses.

Buffy just laughed at the pair of them, it was kinda sweet really. After all they had both had there loved ones taken from them.

“Urm,” Buffy asked “Where’s Angel? Haven’s seen him in a while?”

“Probably skulking in the attic as usual, haven’t seen much of him since that night he got Lucy hurt. Just goes out as soon as it’s dark.” Spike said idly.

Up in the back room Lucy and Xander were shifting boxes, the dust flying and making them both sneeze. She was right he was feeling better after all.

“Hey Lucy what’s in this one?” he asked pulling a large wooden trunk out of the corner.

“Not sure, probably something grandad left, it was his house once you know.”

She bent down and pulled the lid back. Age old dust and cobwebs flew up, stinging her eyes. When the air had cleared all that was in there was a book, a large leather bound book, old and rotting in the corners. She pulled it out, opening it carefully, then BANG! A large ball of energy escaped the pages knocking Lucy out and surrounding her, stopping anything from getting in.

“Lucy! Lucy!” Xander screamed at her before running to the door. “Some one help me!”

Lucy opened her eyes expecting to see Xander hovering over her, but she wasn’t in her house anymore. She was lead by an old fashioned fire place, the logs burning silently. She sat up dozily, rubbing her head where she hit it in the fall. She looked around the room, taking in the old décor, and tried to figure our where she was. A door bell rang, and she walked towards the front door. It was dark out, a maid pulled the door open, the rain outside flooding in. A man was stood at the door, holding a bundle of blankets.

“I have come to see Mrs Caldwell.” he said as the maid let him in, taking his coat from him.

Lucy’s jaw dropped, it was grandad, her grandad, but how. This wasn’t possible, this was Victorian England, possible earlier, and he was born in the 30’s, how could he be here, then again how come she was here. She turned and watched him go into a side room, and decided to follow. The bundle started crying, shushing it he unwrapped his parcel, rubbing its back, calming the baby from the cold. What was he doing here? With a baby? She turned as she saw him smile. There was a little boy, sat in the armchair under the window, book in hand, watching intently as the rain splashed on the window pain.

Lucy walked over, the child intriguing him. She walked straight up to him, but he didn’t flinch. She waved her hand in front of his face, still nothing. She was here to watch nothing more. Those eyes though, those boys eye. Startling blue, the hair was darker, and more curly, but there was no mistaking it though. “Spike?” she said as regal looking woman walked in the room nodding at her grandfather.

“Mr Giles, it’s so good to see you again, is this her, is this the baby?” the woman asked holding her hands out to the child.

“Yes this is her Mrs Caldwell, we named her Aimee, I hope you don’t mind?” he handed the baby girl over.

“I like it, very proper for such a young lady,” she said cooing at the new born.

“As I explained, she’s not safe with us, you have to raise her and love you as her own, of they find her, the world will not be safe.” the old man stood, wiping a tear from his cheek.

“Yes Mr Giles, I understand, I will love her as my own, a baby sister for my William to watch over.” she smiled at her eldest child.
“Can I just say a quick good bye?” he asked. Mrs Caldwell handed Aimee to him and he held her tight, tears falling freely now down his face. “I love you Aimee Daniels, I will tell Lucy about you when she’s older and can understand, I promise you that.” he whispered to the baby. He handed her back quickly brushing the tears from his face, nodding to Mrs Caldwell and left as quick as he came.

Lucy was crying also, that was her sister, her twin she thought, there was no other explanation for it. There was a baby that looked exactly as she did when she was a baby. The same white hair, dimples, and hazel eyes. What did grandad do? Why had he ripped her sister from her and left her in the past. She closed her eyes, wiping the salty water from them.

When she opened them she had moved forward in time. Aimee was now about ten years old, which meant Spike was about fifteen or so. Aimee was running round the house, her skirt hitched up, Spike chasing her, the book she was carrying she clearly wanted back.

“Aimee that’s mine give it back to me!” he shouted trying to catch her.

“Not until you promise to read me some of you poems William,” she shouted back, Lucy laughed, it was funny hearing Spike by his true name.

“Alright, alright I’ll read them to you just promise not to laugh.” he snatched the book from his sister and they sat on the chairs by the windows. “The wind blows through the Willow trees.” Aimee giggled and Spike lost his temper again. “You promised not to laugh, I’m not reading to you again, now go away.” a hurt looked washed over Aimee.

“Aimee and William Caldwell, what is all this noise about, this is no way for a lady and gentleman to behave.” there mother reprimanded them.

“Sorry mother” they both chorused. Spike pulling his sister close and kissing her head in apology.

Lucy wanted to scream, tears where in her eyes again. She was angry at the way the woman called her a Caldwell, she wanted to scream that she was a Daniels, but knew it would do no good. She was also jealous of the brother she had found. She may have been ripped from Lucy, but at least she had found a replacement, and she had to admit Spike was a good replacement, where as she was left alone. Alone and afraid, with no father and mother who resented her. She always thought her mother wished she was someone else, often making slip ups and calling her by her sisters name, now she knew why. She was mourning the child she lost.

The room span and time hopped again. She was still in the same house, but Aimee and William were now in their twenties. They had been arguing, Lucy knew that look from when Spike had been mad at her for something. Aimee came down the stairs, her coat buttoned and muff around her hands, purposefully ignoring Spike.

“Aimee don’t go and see this man. Its not proper he hasn’t asked permission.” he was looking at her the blue of his looking watery through tears.

“William I love you, I really do, but when are you going to understand I am a grown woman, and I don’t need my dear brother to look after me any more.” she walked over and ran her hand over his cheek. “I’ll be back later, don’t tell mother, I love you.” she kissed his cheek before leaving the house.

Lucy didn’t know what made her follow, but she did, it was like a play and it was all about Aimee. She followed behind her, avoiding the passers by. She had never realised just how smoggy old London really was. Aimee weaved her way into some back street, loosing Lucy for a second. When she caught up she saw her standing with a man, he had her engrossed. Lucy came closer and stopped, her heart pounding, it was Angel.

“Angelus my love, when are you going to come and introduce your self to my family. My brother is becoming quite worried.”

“Don’t worry dear Aimee, we will meet soon enough, I promise.” he kissed her hand.

As he raised his head, his fangs were drawn, the dark eyes which had once attracted her to him were now yellow. Aimee opened her mouth to scream, but nothing. Angelus bit down on her neck, the life slowly dripping from her, then stopped.
“Dru, she’s got something missing, I can taste it.” Angelus said wiping his mouth, leaving Aimee to fall to the floor.

Lucy ran over, she wanted to comfort her sister, do something, but she couldn’t even touch her. She looked at Angelus and his companion, fire burning in her eyes.

“They are two.” Dru sang.

“What do you mean two, the brother?”

“No not him, another one that looks like her, but she’s not here. This one is not of this time, she is younger than she appears, but we will need her to complete this.” she started dancing around Aimee.

“Right then, we will have to keep her fresh till we find her, lets get her back.”

Lucy followed as Angelus practically dragged Aimee back to the sewers. He dropped her in the corner, his minions thinking he had brought home dinner closed in, but he growled a warning, making them back away. He pulled a book off a makeshift shelf and uttered some words in Latin. A bubble appeared around her suspending her in mid air, time seemed to freeze around her.

“Mummy thinks our plans will have to wait” Dru said draping her arms around him.

“That they will my sweet, you go eat Darla will be home soon.” Angelus gave her a sly smile as Dru left swishing her skirt as she went.