Chapter Five

With one hand on the steering wheel and another hand sticking out of the window, a cigarette propped between his thumb and index finger, Spike cruised across the parking lot looking for his braided, brunette target with the cute nose and the green shirt.

“She has to be here somewhere,” he muttered to himself, squinting through the crowded lot of students streaming out of the building. He had made up his mind that if he wanted to get her in his bed within a week, he had better start acting quickly. And, by the few meetings he had with her, getting her to agree on a date with him might be just a little challenging. Nothing he couldn’t handle though, he thought.

Finally, he caught sight of a short form scrambling out of the school doors with her face buried inside her knapsack, obviously searching for something. Spike couldn’t help the grin from growing on his face and he watched happily as Buffy pulled out car keys with a triumphant smile and zipped up her bag.

She started walking towards her car and Spike followed, slowly, in his vintage black Desoto, keeping a distance, but getting close enough as not to lose her. He noticed her adjust her skirt repeatedly as she made her way around the car-filled lot and he nearly laughed out loud. So his comment had gotten to her after all, he thought, smugly.

“Figures the bird would have a Mustang,” he shook his head when he heard the beep from a nearby car as she pressed the unlock button on her keys. Oblivious to her observer, Buffy pulled open the driver’s seat door and threw her backpack onto the backseat.

When the backlights of the Mustang lit up, Spike decided to make his move, gassing his car until it blocked her exit, trapping her in her parking spot.

…………

“Oh shit!” Buffy cursed at herself when she saw a old-looking black car speed up towards her and slammed onto her brakes. She closed her eyes for a few seconds, then opened them again, glancing up to her rear-view.

Oddly enough, the black Desoto was directly behind her car. She narrowed her eyes then sighed to herself. Stupid, annoying people who don’t know how to drive, she thought, glaring at the car in the mirror. There was a car across from her and now she was blocked in. Great.

Suddenly, Buffy heard a rapping nose on her window and jumped, turning her head to see who was out there. And stared straight into the smiling, blue eyes of the familiar, annoying, handsome Spike Pratt.

He waved at her and she rolled down her window, a little bit confused.

“Hello, cutie,” he drawled, leaning down to the window.

“Uh,” she began, flustered, “I, uh,… did you want something?”

Spike smirked and let his eyes peruse her body slowly before meeting her eyes again. She blushed brilliantly. “Well now that you mention it,” his voice lowered a few notches and his eyebrow raised.

Buffy was speechless. She had little to no experience with boys whatsoever and this… well this was a bit overwhelming, to tell the truth. Her eyes widened at his innuendo and she opened her mouth, then closed it again when she could think of nothing to say.

“But really,” he continued, seeing her dilemma and enjoying her discomfort, “I think that’d be moving a little fast, don’t you, pet? How about we start off with a date?”

**flashback**

”Hello, … Buffy,” Michael stressed the last part of her name as he took a step closer to her, causing her to back into the lockers.

“Um, Hi!” she replied brightly, shifting her eyes up and down the hallway nervously, noticing a small crowd forming around them. He put a hand against the top locker and moved even closer. She could feel his breath on her face and now her heart was pounding harder than ever.

So, yeah, she’s had a crush on him since fifth grade, but…

“So, what are you doing this Saturday?” he asked her, lowering his voice, but keeping it just loud enough so the people closest to them could catch onto his words. They started whispering amongst each other immediately and a few girls giggled.

“Probably, uh, homework…” she said, meekly. He raised his other hand and brought it to her hair, running his fingers through the long strands until they got stuck onto a knot. Buffy winced, feeling a few strands of hair getting pulled out and nearly passed out right then and there as he tried to pry his fingers away from the tangled mess.

When his hand was finally free, he gave her another smothering smile and leaned down.

“Do you want to go out with me?”

She was surprised. More than surprised. There was something deep inside her heart that felt like it was exploding into magnificent fireworks. A boy asked her out! This was the first time… She didn’t know what to reply. What if she made a fool out of herself? What if she… wasn’t good at dating? What if – But, if she said no… what if she never got asked out again?

Setting her jaw in place, she raised her chin and said, “I’d love to.”

The seconds passed like hours and he finally backed away, a smile still plastered on his face. “That’s great, but I just remembered, I’m not free on Saturday. Or any other weekends, actually. I just wanted to know if you wanted to, and now that I know that you do… that’s just fucking hilarious!”

Her cheeks burnt up as the students surrounding them started to laugh along with him…

**end flashback**


“Uh, I’m busy,” she said, forcing herself to look somewhere other than his beautiful, blue eyes. He was just like any other… he’d make a joke out of it and she’d seem like a fool.

“What?” he furrowed his eyebrows, not expecting that… “But I never told you what day! How can you be busy?”

“I just… am?” her voice faltered when she heard the confusion in his tone. Buffy bit her bottom lip and fiddled with the steering wheel. What was it about him?

Spike tilted his head to the side, studying her profile. “What are you doing tonight?” he asked her, not giving up. There was something in her eyes that told him she was scared, and he wanted to break down her defenses. As each moment passed, he felt more and more determined to get passed the wall she had built around her.

“Homework,” was her automatic reply.

“Didn’t work, love,” he shook his head, grinning again. “First bloody day of school, isn’t it? No homework.”

“Oh,” she managed after a brief pause. She turned around to look at him again and once again, was trapped in his steady gaze. Maybe,… maybe he was being serious. No.

Her mind dueled with itself and she finally stood on a middle ground. “Cordelia said something about a Bronze… and I think I might be there tonight,” she said, shyly.

“Then I’ll be there, too,” he raised himself up from her window and winked at her. Spike backed away from her car, pleased with himself. “Until next time, kitten.”

Then he got into his own car and drove away, leaving Buffy sitting in the almost empty parking lot, stunned and feeling suddenly giddy.

…………

The front door slammed and Joyce looked up from her place at the kitchen table, which was littered with bills and letters, the majority of which from annoying people who wouldn’t give up or take no for an answer. She sighed and rubbed her temple, trying to make the headache go away.

Buffy bounded into the kitchen, dropped her backpack by the counter and immediately set to work on raiding the refrigerator.

“How was school, honey?” Joyce asked, wearily. The only sounds from the other end of the kitchen was food items being moved around. Finally, Buffy surfaced with a carton of milk and leftover spaghetti in both hands. Grinning, she kicked the refrigerator door closed and sauntered over to the microwave.

Joyce leaned back and crossed her arms over her chest. Okay…, “Good day, I take it?”

“Better than good,” Buffy sang, stuffing the spaghetti into the microwave. Joyce smiled. It wasn’t every day that Buffy had a good day in school.

“That’s great, dear -- did I just see you put something plastic in that microwave!” she exclaimed.

“Oops!” Buffy gave her a apologetic smile and opened the microwave door before it started heating. She took off the plastic wrap and stuffed the bowl back in.

“That’s better,” Joyce breathed out. She smiled again, “So tell me about your day.”

Buffy shrugged as she waited for her food to heat up. “You know,… same old, same old,” she said, casually.

“No, I don’t know,” her mother narrowed her eyes a little, “Since this is a different school…”

“Well, there were teachers, pencils, books, and boys,” Buffy grinned as her mom widened her eyes.

“Boys!” Her voice was suddenly stern, and she sighed sadly. “Oh, Buffy… we did have this talk, didn’t we?”

“Yes, we did,” she replied, happily. “No sex, no talking, no seeing, no boys. Oh, mom, can I go to the Bronze tonight?”

The microwave beeped.

“The Bronze?” Joyce asked, confused. “What is a bronze, exactly?”

“Just a little club – no alcohol, I promise,” Buffy said, silently crossing two fingers behind her back.

“Will there be boys at this club?”

Buffy gave her an exasperated look. “No, mom. It’s a nun club.”

Joyce sighed and shook her head. “Okay, fine… I swear you’re growing up too fast. One moment, you’re still a little baby in little diapers and the next moment, you’re going to all sorts of clubs…”

Buffy grabbed her food and swept over to her mother, landing a little kiss to her cheeks. “Thanks, mom. You’re the best!”

Then, she flew out of the kitchen and up to her room.

“You better not get any sauce on the rug!” Joyce frowned. Then went back to the bills.

…………

Half an hour later, the doorbell rang. Cursing it under her breath, Joyce got up to her feet and went to open the front door.

The second it was opened, a brunette girl with sunglasses propped on her head pushed herself inside, both arms full with shopping bags. Flustered, Joyce opened her mouth to protest, but another girl, a pale, dark-haired one, also pushed herself in, carrying a large, makeup bag.

“Hi, Buffy’s mom!” The first brunette said, cheerily.

“Wait - Hello, who are you?” Joyce was more than confused.

“Cordelia and Drusilla. We’re here to get Buffy ready, which way to her room?”

…………

“No.” She said, firmly, shaking her head.

“Yes.”

“Absolutely not.”

“That’s not an option,” Cordelia glared at a defiant Buffy, crossing her arms and sitting Indian-style on the bed.

“Drusilla..?” Buffy desperately turned to the thin, pale-faced girl for help. Drusilla had an eyeshadow brush in her hand and had it raised halfway in the air as she turned to see what Cordelia was holding up.

“I’m going with Cordelia,” she said, then turned back to her job at hand, forcing Buffy to keep her head still and her eyes closed as she did her makeup.

“But – I’ll look like a tramp!”

“Oh, stop being so Victorian era,” Cordelia rolled her eyes. “It’s flattering and you’ll look great.”

“I’ll look naked…”

“And what’s wrong with that?” she raised an eyebrow and put a hand on her hip. “I think it’s gorgeous and you’re going to wear it no matter what.”

Buffy sighed, losing the battle, then opened her eyes – to Drusilla’s dismay – to eye the scrap of cloth in Cordelia’s hand.

To tell the truth, it was beautiful. The emerald green dress was a halter and went low at the back and high at the hem, but it’s shimmer was appealing and it’s cut was flattering. Plus, it cost nearly two hundred dollars.

“Can’t you hold still for one second?” Drusilla growled and forced Buffy’s eyes closed again.