Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait, guys... I hope you're still with me.
Chapter Eight


"AHHH!" Buffy shrieked when she opened her eyes and saw her reflection in the mirror. Drusilla jumped back, surprised.

"What!" She asked, staring, "It's not that bad! Really, it's just… a little streaky, but it's not bad at all!"

"My hair!" Buffy pulled at the damp locks, "It's… it's orange!"

"Not really," Drusilla protested, putting her hands on her hips. "It's more like… a, uh, burnt sienna with an orange tint? And anyways! It's not even dry, yet. I bet it'll look fabulous when it's dry."

"I should've let Cordy do it," the streaky-orange-tinged-burnt-sienna-haired girl looked miserable. Drusilla glared at her through the mirror.

"I'll have you know there's absolutely nothing wrong with your hair. You just have to wait for it to dry. And if Cordelia did it, you'd be lucky if you had any hair left at all!"

After a few more minutes of Buffy whining and Drusilla rolling her eyes, Buffy pointed at Drusilla's dark hair. "You're turn," she said, brightening at the prospect of her so-called hair dresser getting a taste of her own treatment.

"Uh," Drusilla faltered at this, "Blonde looks much better with your skin tone. If I went blonde, I'd look … odd."

"Hey! You said you'd - "

"I said no such thing. I just expressed an idea. I didn't say I'd go through with it."

She finished cleaning up with a smug smile and ignored the grumbling and complaining coming from Buffy's mouth.

………
………

"It's not so bad," Buffy thought out loud to herself, checking out the color of her hair in the mirror of the car's sun-visor. True to Drusilla's word, it had lightened to a nice, warm shade of gold once the hair was dry. She still wasn't used to it and fingered a strand, thoughtfully. It made her feel… different.

Blondes have more fun… so they said. She shook out her straightened hair and brushed her bangs to the side before she smiled at herself in the mirror one more time, snapped the cover shut, and stepped out of the car.

She walked across the parking lot with as much confidence as she could muster, smiling at whoever happened to look her way.

… Until she was halfway to the school doors and realized she had left her backpack in the trunk of her car. Shit! she thought as she did a one eighty and sprinted back to get it.

Okay… maybe not so fun. At least, not fun so far.

………
………


The second Buffy burst into the classroom, cheeks flushed red and backpack swinging, Spike felt his jaw go slack and drop. Well, what do you know?, Spike smirked, leaning back in his seat to get a better view of the girl giving Mr. Travers her tardy card. Little miss Buffy's a little miss Blondie.

Then he frowned, remembering how he had been left looking for Buffy the other night at the Bronze, only to be told by Cordelia that the girl had already left with Drusilla. Then, something peculiar had happened. He had actually started to feel a little - and just a little, mind you - … disappointed. And not just in the 'bloody hell, now I can't hook up with her' way, either. He had truly hoped to spend more time with her and had really looked forward to just, uh, talking to her. And when he found out that she had upped and left, his good mood had been killed, so he pushed off Harmony and any other girl that flung themselves his way and headed back home.

It hadn't occurred to him until he was getting ready to call it a night and crawl into bed that the entire reason he was with Buffy was because of that bet. Thinking about the bet had calmed him marginally, because, obviously, the sinking feeling he had in his gut when she had disappeared only proved that Buffy would be one hard bird to get in bed. Before he had drifted off, a voice in the back of his head laughed at him and sang Or maybe, the sinking feeling might be because the Big Bad Spike's developing feelings, eh?

He pushed the thoughts aside as Buffy nervously made her way to the seat in front of him. Wow, she was looking incredibly beautif-- no, hot, the manly part of his brain protested-- today.

"Hello, Goldilocks," he drawled out, leaning forward when she sat down. She spared him a glance before reaching into her bag to pull out her notebook.

"Spike," she returned, blushing at the nickname. Part of her was wondering if he liked her hair and another part of her chided her for caring. It doesn't matter if he likes it or not! It doesn't!

Buffy sat back in her chair, getting ready to pay attention. Too bad the bleached-blonde moron behind her felt a need to twirl her hair around his finger.

"You left without saying goodbye last night," his voice was light but she thought she heard a trace of hurt. Then again, maybe it was part of her imagination.

She twisted in her seat so she sat sideways at her desk, looking up at the front of the class and answering him at the same time. "Well, I would've," she said, keeping her voice low, "But you were a little busy."

The sight of him dancing up close and personal with the chesty blonde at the Bronze burned in her mind and almost made her want to cringe, but she fought the urge. Why did she want to cringe? Was it because she felt something for him? A little shiver ran up her spine.

His face scrunched up, confused, until he remembered Harmony… Oh… Bloody hell.

Spike smirked, "Jealous, love?"

"What!? Of course not," she sputtered, whirling around to face his smug, satisfied face. His blue eyes locked with her and the twinkle in them made her want to melt.

"You sure? You look a bit… flustered," he tilted his head to the side and continued playing with her hair.

"I'm not jealous," she affirmed, setting her jaw. "Why would I be jealous? I don't care who you dance with. You can - you can dance with whoever you want!" Dance with anybody! Any bottle-blonde, puffy haired, big breasted floozy that walks your way! Do whatever! I care not! I am most definitely, absolutely, positively not jealous.

He traced his finger from her hair to her neck and followed the curve of her shoulder down to her arm, then back up again. His touch sent tingles all over her body and she tensed to keep from shuddering.

"Okay, then," Spike shrugged, then grinned, "But just for the record. Harmony's got nothing on you."

Wait, what?

"Huh?" Buffy crinkled her brow, "What do you mean - "

"Ms. Summers!" a sharp, annoyed voice cut her of mid-sentence. Buffy spun around to face the front to see a put off Mr. Travers staring at her with his hand clutching a piece of chalk poised at the board as if he was in the middle of writing something, which he most likely was. He looked at her over the tops of his glasses and glared, "Do you have something you want to share with the class? Something related to Calculus, perhaps?"

"Uh, no sir," her face turned red.

"No more talking. Next time, it's a referral," Mr. Travers warned before turning back to the board.

Spike didn't bother to hide his soft chuckling. He ripped a sheet of paper from his notebook and scrawled a note on it before folding it up and passing it to Buffy over her shoulder.

She took the note and opened it under her desk.

You, me, Friday night… possibilities?

Buffy stared at it, wondering what he meant. What possibilities? She glanced up to make sure the teacher wasn't watching before scribbling down: Possibilities? Such as… and slipping it onto Spike's desk.

When she felt his hand on her shoulder again, she reached up to grab the folded note, only to have her hand grasped by Spike's larger one. She froze in her seat as Spike squeezed her hand tightly before releasing it along with it's note.

I want you…

.


.


.


.


… to go out with me.


Buffy gulped.

………
………

"So, Summers," Spike stepped up to her as she packed up her stuff. The bell had just rung and all the students were hurrying out of class, shoving and pushing each other aside. "How about it?"

"How about what?" She slung her backpack over her shoulder and started walking down the aisle to leave the classroom.

"Oh, come off it," he rolled his eyes, walking in step with her, "You know what I'm talking about."

"Oh… that."

"Yeah, that," Spike grabbed her lightly by the elbow, slowing her down. Buffy bit her lip and looked away. She was nervous… and embarrassed. Her experience with dates were… wait, she didn't have any experience with dates. And part of her was still on the edge, not sure whether she could trust him, not sure if he actually wanted to date her, not sure if he was just messing around…

"Well, I'm not - "

Spike's face fell marginally and he interrupted her, grumbling, "Would it really be so bad? Going on one date with me? It could be… a friend thing." Bloody hell. He was half a step away from begging…

She paused and turned to look up at his face. There was something… hopeful, something different. When he had asked her out the day before, she'd seen the cockiness, arrogance, and suaveness coming off of him in waves and right now, there was just hope. Maybe it would be okay to say 'yes.' …

"Okay," she finally nodded and held her breath. She almost expected him to start laughing at her and mocking her like the boy had done such a long time ago… But his eyes lit up and he grinned.

"You mean it?"

Before she could reply, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders for a quick hug and started walking backwards to his next class.

"You won't regret it, Goldilocks," he winked, then added, "And I like the hair. It suits you."

With that, he sprinted down the hall… just as the two minute bell rang. Crap… Buffy winced and started to her next class two minutes to go halfway across the school. Great.

…………

Spike couldn't keep the giddy grin off his face as he hurried to his next period class. She said 'Yes'! She bloody said 'Yes'! A hand stopped him and he turned to see Devon standing behind him, not bothering to cover up his laughing.

"So you got her to go out with you?" The boy shook his head, amused, "You've got more game than I thought, man."

Spike shook his hand off his arm and stared, suddenly remembering the bet. For some reason, it had slipped his mind the moment she had slid into the seat in front of him. And for some reason, it made him feel somewhat… guilty…

His friend kept smiling and he tried to shake off the uneasy feeling that was starting to cluster in his stomach.

"Did you ever doubt it, mate?" Spike smirked and tried to stand straighter. Devon slapped his back and they parted ways.

…………
A/N: Hopefully, the next update'll be up within the week. We'll see. =)