PART 4

“ What do you mean?”
“ That someone granted me a wish, so I chose to stay in the sun. But my savior said I was asking for too much and that I had to give up something for it… Guess what she took from me?”
“ Your eternal youth!” she gasped with the brightest of smiles.
“ Exactly. So, I’m planning to grow very, very old with you, sweetie!”
“ So, how old are you? You’ve never told me!”
“ Almost 130 yrs as a vamp… 28 yrs as human!” he confessed.
“ So, finally the big mystery is unveiled! Mm… 28 yrs? I don’t know if this could work between us… you’re too old for me…” she joked.
“ Yeah, you’re right: only 108 years of age difference are ok… but six … that’s too much!” he joked.
“ Spike, I would love you even if we had 10000 years of age difference!”
The vampire’s happiness was huge.
“ Did you really said ‘ would love ‘ or I just imagined that?” he smiled, wrapping an arm around her waist.
Her only answer, she brought her lips close to his and she gave him the sweetest kiss.
“ Have you imagined that, too?”
“ I don’t know, let me try again…” he whispered, kissing her once more, with all the passion and the love he was capable of.
But after a while, he tasted something salty in his mouth, and he parted from her, to find her in tears.
“ Wassup, pet? Have I become such a bad terrible kisser?” he wondered a little bit insulted.
She punched his shoulder playfully.
“ Silly! These are happy tears!” she said, mingling the laughter with the tears.
“ I love you, Spike; do you believe me now?” she said, pulling him to her.
“ Listen, luv: do you think I died with a very large smile on my lips because the flames were tickling me?” he smiled.
“ But you… you said… and you were… so serious…” she stuttered puzzled.
“ I had to do it: you would have stayed there with me if I hadn’t told you that… I’ve failed once trying to save you, couldn’t fail twice!” he justified.

There was too much tension between them; he had to do something to slacken it.
“ What can I say? I’m an excellent actor!” he exclaimed with one of those smirks she had terribly missed.
The girl threw herself in his arms, holding him tight.
“ Stupid, stupid vampire! Never ever try something like that again! There can’t be life for me without you!” she said, wetting his coat with her tears.
“ Buffy, no more crying, let’s forget the past: now I’m here with you and I won’t leave you anymore!”
The girl’s sobs stopped and the smile came back to enlighten her face.

“ Anyway, the answer is yes!”
“ What was the question?”
“ You wondered if I like the sea: I do. I like the way it changes: sometimes it’s calm and surrendering and it seems to invite you to play with it; sometimes it’s wild and stormy and you’d better not deal with it… well, it reminds me of you!”
She shoved him, making him fall on the sand.
“ Hey! You can be the savior of the whole world, but you’re still so annoying and impossible sometimes!”
“ And that’s why you love me, baby!” he laughed, tugging her ankles and dragging her onto the sand with him.
She laughed, as she hadn’t done for ages.
“ So, how do you see me now? Wild and stormy or calm and surrendering?”
“ Why don’t you tell me?” he said, pulling her to him.
After a never-ending kiss, they got up.
“ Spike, there’s something important you must know…” she exclaimed.
“ What?”
“ I don’t love you..”
“ Hey, stop, stop! I don’t like the beginning of this sentence! Plus, before you said..”
“ If only you let me finish talking once in a while, my silly eager vampy!” she smiled, covering his mouth.
“ I don’t love you just because of your soul…” she explained.
“ It started before… it’s just that I didn’t realize it, or rather I was too afraid to figure it out! I began to see you in a different way since Glory tortured you. I saw you as a friend and maybe more… but I died before you knew it! Then, I came back and the feeling between us was stronger day by day; but we, or rather I, because it’s only my fault if you became exasperated, spoiled it all and you left. Then, you came back with your soul, but you weren’t yourself at all until you set yourself free from the trigger. And the night we have spent together when I ran away… well, there wasn’t kisses, or sex… you only held me tight… but believe me, that night it was like we had made love!” she exclaimed and the vampire’s eyes flashed yellow for the surprise, hearing the last words.
Buffy still held her hand on his mouth; she hadn’t finished yet her speech.
“ Then Angel came back, and you misunderstood that kiss, which was only a goodbye… I wanted to let you know, but I didn’t and then it was too late, ‘cause at the end you decided to do what you did and you… died!” she carried on, grieving at the memory.
“ But now I’ve been given another chance with you and I won’t waste it! I love you, Spike, I love you so much! I just wonder how you can love me after I had been so bitchy with you! I don’t deserve your love…” she blathered, withdrawing her hand from his mouth and parting from him.
He interrupted her with a kiss.
“ No more talking, let’s just enjoy our chance! Buffy, I love you, no matter what you do, I can’t stop loving you, I don’t wanna stop!” he said, deciding that maybe his kisses could convince her even more than his words.

“ Can’t wait to come back to the others. Dawn will be so happy to see you!”
“ I miss my Nibblet, too! Hey, wait; she threatened to burn me in my sleep after all. It doesn’t sound like a person who would be happy to see me…” he commented worried.
“ That was the past, a past that shouldn’t have ever been. Now, things will be different, and believe me, she adores you! I wouldn’t give so much importance to something she said in the heat of the moment. I know she didn’t mean it and you should know it, too!” she reassured him, holding his hand, putting her head on his shoulder, raising her eyes to look up to the sky.
“ Whoever you are, thank you so much, mysterious someone!”
***************************************************
“ You’re welcome, my darling!” Nikki said, seeing the whole scene from that place where also Buffy had stayed for 147 days.
“ I wonder how you can be so happy for them! After all, he was your enemy,… ours!” Kendra muttered, reaching her.
“ Funny! Words coming from the one who has helped the girlfriend of the guy you fancy! Not to mention that she used to be a Vengeance Demon!”
“ Ok, you won! I guess we are crazy as well!” the younger Slayer laughed.

“ If only you had seen his face when I told him that not only he could stay in sunlight, but that he could also age again! He was so happy that he wanted to give me my coat back… can you believe it? But I refused, after all.. it suits him better!” Nikki chuckled.
“ So, what about you, Kendra? Did the Highest Powers accept your proposal?”
“ Yes, it went fine. They granted my desire, I guess her sacrifice to save that guy impressed them!” the girl answered enthused.
“ Still wonder why you did it!”
“ You know, I owed it to Xander. He was the first guy who was so gentle with me; plus, I couldn’t stand anymore to see him like that. If you love someone, you want just his happiness, and there’s only a person who can make him happy again. That’s why I talked the Powers into sending her back to Earth. Probably, she’ll be already at L.A. by now, in front of Angel’s door. She was beside herself with joy when I told her everything, you should have seen her: she was just carrying on and on babbling about her and her… wait, .. what did she call him? Oh, yeah… ‘ Sexy Pirate ‘ having to make up for lost time and do lots of… well, maybe you don’t want to hear about this stuff!”

**************************************************
Los Angeles, Sept 7 2003

Although everyone was upset due to Buffy ’s escape, they had to go on living their own lives. After all, they were relieved ‘cause Angel assured them she would come back one day. Hers wasn’t a goodbye.
Now, Angel and his crew were out of town, because of an investigation; Willow and Kennedy were out for their business; and Andrew had finally managed to get a date with Dawn, which wasn’t indifferent at all to that guy.
So, Xander had remained alone, caring about the Office, while he was watching TV absently.

Suddenly, the bell rang and he approached the door, ready to open it.
He couldn’t even begin to imagine who was waiting at the threshold: Xander was going to receive the most beautiful gift of his life.
--
THE END.
TBC