Chapter 10

Spike ran out of the cemetery, following Drusilla. The familiar melody, her voice, the pull he felt towards her; he should have known. He tracked her rather easily. She didn’t try to hide her tracks or the direction she was heading in. He caught a glimpse of her as she turned a corner, moving away from the Watcher’s headquarters. He didn’t heed the warning of the dawn of the new day, intent on finding Drusilla. Her black hair was still plastered against her head and back, limp and undone. Her dress hung heavy, weighing her form down. Spike ran through the street, intent on catching up to her. It’s been so long since he saw her. His Dark Princess. His salvation from mediocrity. He saw her duck into a store front, opening the front door and walking in. Spike caught up and breathed deeply before he entered. The shop was only a few blocks away from the Watcher’s place, giving Spike a good opportunity to run for there if he needed to. He twisted the cold metal knob and opened the door.

~*~*~
The warm blue ocean encased her. Breathing easily, Buffy dived down into the deep blue abyss. She spotted a herd of dolphins to her right. Their dorsal fins broke the surface of the water, allowing the land dwellers to peak into the ocean’s secrets. She kicked her feet back and forth, propelling her body down into the shadows. She felt the pressure bare down on her lungs, stifling the air there. . Buffy opened her mouth, breathing in the ocean’s water, only to dive deeper into the darkness.

~*~*~
Spike walked into the dark store, he changed into his vampire face, hoping to catch a glimpse of Drusilla scampering away, but, unfortunately, there was no movement in the abandoned store. He stepped further in to the room and inhaled, trying to get Drusilla’s bearings. Her scent trailed back to the back of the building. Spike carefully stalked down the aisle, careful not to make a sound. He ran his hands through his hair, squeezing the water out. His coat dripped the remaining moisture to the floor, leaving Spike dry once more. He rounded the corner to the back storeroom, he spied Drusilla standing in front of him, only twenty feet away. She was not facing him, but when she sensed the invasion of her privacy she turned around. Already in her vampire visage, she snarled. Her dress hung on her generous curves. The fabric of her dress hung on her heaping bosom, leaving her breast looking like ripe, wicked plums. Her hair was drying in the stale air of the storeroom. Spike stepped forward out of the shadows of the store. Drusilla’s dark eyes widened as she watched Spike’s white hair come from the shadows. “My William!” Drusilla’s face turned smooth and she clapped her hands together. Spike could see the light dancing in her eyes, turning them a chocolate brown. Her demeanor became more child-like; she smiled and batted her eyelashes at him.

“Dru.” Spike walked parallel to Drusilla, leaving a wide distance between them. He cocked his head to the side as he watched her sway from side to side. Her dress rustled on the floor, picking up dust and dirt. Curious to as why she had showed up at this precise time, he eyed her dangerously. “What are you doing here, pet?”

“My love!” Spike winced at the term of endearment thrown his way. “Miss Edith told me to come here and visit my birthplace. Play with the wiggling worms, she did.” She stepped forward and swayed. “She said you needed help, that you lost something and couldn’t find it.” Spike stepped back, trying to keep the same distance between them. “Oh, my Spike. Has Miss Edith been lying, or do you need me?”

“Dru…” Spike stopped moving. Drusilla quickly moved over to him, standing before him in her magnificence. He swayed towards her, as if in a trance.

“My William is alive.” Drusilla smiled sweetly. “He has a pretty poppet to keep him company. Are you happy, Spike?”

Spike felt like he was drowning in her bovine eyes, so wide and brown. His salvation, his effulgent love. His mind tottered on the edge of sanity and reality as he stared into her eyes. Such passion and intrigue held within. His fingers twitched to touch her silk hair, to run through it. Her skin smelled so sweet, peaches and honey. One lick would be like ambrosia. One sip of her tepid blood would be like a brush fire. Spike’s head swayed to and fro, leading him towards her.

Suddenly, Spike jumped back. His sense restored, he roared. “You bloody bitch!” Spike stalked away, pacing quickly a few short steps this was and that. “You… you… bint. Stop it!” Spike pointed at Drusilla. Her lip puckered out, drawing into a pout. She clasped her fingers together, watching Spike panic. “Stop it, I mean it Dru. I’m not in the mood for your games. Just bloody stop it!”

Drusilla held her arms out, reaching for Spike, “My Spike. Shhh, we will find your lost girl. Shhh.” Her fingers graced her mouth, “The stars say she is alright… for now.”

Spike looked at Drusilla. The clarity he found in her eyes scared him. “Dru… did you…” he didn’t want to say it, but he continued, “Did you do something to Buffy?”

“Shh, my William. I did not harm your precious Slayer. I did not take her to be with the rats and dirt.”

Spike stomped closer, grabbing her by her shoulders, “Do you know where she is?” His voice was low, almost a growl. Drusilla’s eyes widened,; she was almost scared of her own childe.

“No, my Spike.” Her voice was soothing, making Spike release his hold on her. He backed away from her, leaving a considerable amount of space between them. “She was taken by humans, Miss Edith says.”

Spike arched an eyebrow and cocked his head, “Humans, you say?”

~*~*~
Her body felt so heavy. She was one with the environment around her. Pitch black and cold. She felt the creatures around her brush up against her, prickling her skin with their scales. She breathed in that water, filling her lungs with it. She felt so tired., Closing her eyes from the dark depths of the ocean, she fell asleep.

~*~*~
Quentin was sitting in his meeting room. The rich wood grains of the table and inlayed woodwork surrounded him, leaving him feeling superior. The Slayer had been missing for twenty-eight hours and no one knew where she went. The spells that Giles had tried did not succeed. The Council was once again sans a Slayer and Quentin couldn’t be happier.

He chuckled to himself, if Buffy was gone, that meant he was in charge. The takeover of the Council had failed and he was left standing. He looked over the documents that Giles had given him with a new budget and rules that pertained to Slayers. He didn’t have to adhere to them. Buffy was gone, he could have the de-invite spell worked out for Spike and kick Giles out of the Council. Things were looking up.