Chapter 19

Buffy felt herself floating, her arms and legs prickling. Then she heard voices. She strained her ears to understand the mumbling, but couldn’t put her finger on them. She heard Spike, felt him; she felt the distress and abundant guilt through their claim. “Spike,” her mind desperately wanted to reach out to him, to comfort him. She heard Dawn, her cries and pleas. Struggling, Buffy fought for consciousness, knowing that they needed her, “Spike,” she whispered, her lips dry and cracking, but able to move. She felt him rush towards her, the voices now shouting. He touched her hand, holding her fingers in the palm of his hands. She focused all her energy on moving her fingers, wrapping them around his hand. She heard the voices raise once more, excitement in their voices. She felt something sharp pierce her right hand and inhaled sharply.

“Coming around… responsive… eyelashes fluttering…. BP stable, 102 over 72, pulse 85… she’s coming around.” She felt the mattress move, Spike’s cool body next to her.

She felt Spike encouraging her, and she smiled at him. “She’s awake,” Dawn screeched. “I saw her, she smiled at you, Spike!”

Buffy groaned, wincing even though her eyes were still closed. “Hey,” she licked her lips, feeling better.

“Buffy,” she felt his breathe on her cheek, his whisper barely audible. She knew that his head was next to hers on the bed. She opened her eyes, wincing at the brightness of the lights once again, but kept them open so she could see his blue eyes staring back at her, “You all right, love?” His eyes were shimmering with untold emotion, and she smiled at him.

“Getting there, I feel it, Spike… dissipating, it doesn’t hurt as much.” She blinked, the bright lights still bothering her eyes.

“Turn down the bloody lights!” Spike growled, “Its okay, love. Dawn’s here.”

Dawn appeared before Buffy, behind Spike’s body, which wasn’t moving from his close position. “Hey Buffy!” Her voice was quiet, almost reminiscent from when Buffy first came back from the dead all those years ago. “How you doing?”

“What is my sister doing in England?” Buffy asked Spike, her green eyes flashing yellow in anger.

She felt his chuckle, moving the hospital bed in his mirth, “I’d say it’s safe to say Buffy is feeling better,” a large smile erupted on his lips. They shared a short moment, reveling in the reality Buffy was in fact getting better.

“Sha!” Dawn rolled her eyes, “It’s not like my sister was kidnapped by some vapid soldier ho half way across the world and no one bothered to tell me.” Buffy could have sworn she heard a bit of her mother’s voice in Dawn’s. Buffy rolled her eyes, she couldn’t argue with Dawn, not only was Dawn right, but Buffy didn’t have energy to argue.

Instead of answering, she closed her eyes, rolling her head toward Spike, “I love you,” she whispered to him.

She felt his lips on her slightly heated skin, “I love you, too.” Buffy sighed, feeling Spike next to her, holding her lightly.

“Dawn?” She questioned softly after dozing off a bit.

“Here, Buffy,” Dawn’s voice came closer, “just sitting on the stool over there,” Buffy opened her eyes to find the room dimmed again and Spike lightly growling next to her. She could feel him sleeping, the pull of his dreams tugging on her.

“Where are we?” She looked around the room once more.

“A clinic owned by the Council.” Dawn picked up the stool and brought it to the side of Buffy’s bed.

“Oh,” Buffy closed her eyes again.

“How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” Buffy opened her eyes again, smiling, “but feeling better. What did they do with Sam?” Dawn looked over at Spike whose growls became sharp and loud suddenly. Buffy moved and kissed his cheek, “Shh, baby. It’s okay.” When Spike’s growl became more of a purr, Buffy looked apologetic towards Dawn, “Better not say the S word.”

“Yeah,” Dawn shook her head away from Spike’s form. “Travers captured her when Spike and Riley went to find you.”

“Riley?” Buffy questioned, she tried to remember what happened while she was kidnapped. She remembered seeing Sam and a couple Army type people, but not Riley.

“Yeah, Sa… the bitch, she totally pulled one over on him, such a wanker.” Dawn and Buffy shared a smile, “And, she left him. Riley went back to the vamp hoes to suck the life out of him and Spike and Drusilla found him.”

“Drusilla?” Buffy questioned. Her heart started to race. Drusilla was in town? “Drusilla?” She whispered again, repeating the name.

“Is all right, love,” Spike opened his eyes, “She helped me find you.” He cuddled closer to her, wanting to assuage any doubts Buffy had. “The bloody stars told her I needed her to find the sunshine or something like that rot.” Buffy felt the truth in his words, comforted with the knowledge that Spike held no romantic feelings towards his Sire.

Buffy blinked, her emotions too turbulent to analyze right now, “Where’s Giles?”

“Out in the hallway, talking to the doctors, I can go get him for you?” Dawn asked.

“Okay…” Buffy answered, still a bit tired. “I’m getting sleepy,” she commented after she yawned.

“Is all right, baby. He’ll be here when you wake up, then.” Spike shifted, as Buffy turned over, allowing her to rest partially on top of him.

“I’m not hurting you?” She whispered while she waited for Giles to come into the room.

“Never,” Spike said emphatically. He played with a clump of her hair, grimacing that it was still grimy. “Tell you what, love. Get some more rest and then we’re going to pamper you so good. Bubble baths, manicures…”

“Oh, can I have a pedicure?” She sounded excited.

“Got a foot fetish, do you?” He smiled into her forehead, enjoying the quick wit between them once again.

“Do, but you do, too” She lifted one leg carefully, drawing it up his.

Spike growled playfully, “Better stop it, or I will be forced to flip you over and make love to you for hours. I missed you so much,” he closed his eyes, willing his emotions to rest.

She smiled, ready to tell him she wouldn’t mind what he threatened, when Giles walked into the room. “Are you all right, my dear?” Giles sat down on the stool Dawn brought over.

“My blood still kind of burns, but a lot less than before.” She turned her body back so she would face Giles. Spike wrapped his arms around her, bringing her head back so it would be pillowed on his chest. She closed her eyes, “What happened?”

Giles took his glasses off and started to wipe them with a handkerchief. “Not very clear. I’m afraid that Quentin was a bit hasty with the disposal of her body,” he put his glasses back on and looked at her. “There are a few things we need to discuss.”

Spike felt her inhale sharply, “It’s about it, isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Giles answered simply. Spike felt confused. Their cryptic words sent shivers down his back.

“Not now, Giles, okay? Give me a few…” Buffy closed her eyes, exhaustion over taking her.

“I understand, dear girl.” She heard his last words before drifting back into the sea of black.