Chapter 5

Riley stepped forward, closer to Buffy. Time had not been kind to the soldier. Slices of scar tissue littered his face and arms. Lumbering over six feet tall, the once ‘normal’ boyfriend now resembled car accident victim. His once shiny, healthy brown locks of hair were peppered with wiry, gray strands. Dull and limp, it hung from his head like a helmet. His eyes reflected the light dully, no longer sparkling with life. His skin, pasty and ashen hung off his bones with a bit too much padding underneath. The health conscious soldier must have disappeared through the years, leaving the body to survive on its own. Barely standing on his own, his limp forward proved his self hurt. It was obvious to both Spike and Buffy that the soldier had many injuries that had not healed properly, leaving him disfigured. Gone was the innocence of the boy and in its place was the tough, hard knock reality of the universe. Gone was one Riley Finn, soldier extraordinaire.

The woman standing by his side, supporting his hefty weight didn’t look much better. Littered with just as many scars as her husband and partner, Riley. Her long, dark hair was now cropped close to her head and lighter, probably out of necessity. Her hands, peppered with hard life wrapped around Riley, holding him closer. Her gray eyes reflected hate towards Buffy. Samantha Finn, strict human version of Buffy, fought beside her husband for the greater good, the human species. Her military training had toughed her feminine body and attracted the heart broken soldier all those years ago. Her taste for adventure seduced Riley quickly, causing him to fall head over heels for the soldier girl. Married on the run in South America, the two found desperate peace in each other’s arms.

Standing back, Buffy studied the couple they saved. Feeling guilty that they lived such a hard life while she lived in the lap of luxury, she couldn’t form words. Fighting evil was her mission, her destiny, her calling, but it was their choice, their mission, their life. Choosing the good over evil during times when the odds seemed insurmountable was what they did and they paid for their choice in more than one way. Spike stood closer to Buffy, waiting for the anvil to drop. The hatred and the accusations to start flying from Riley, the rejection from Buffy, but it didn’t come. The soldier straightened, standing on his own and stepped forward. “Buffy, good to see you.”

Buffy smiled coyly, feeling the guilt once again. “Hi,” her voice wavered. “What are you doing here?”

Riley smiled, revealing a chipped front tooth. “Fighting the fight, you know?” Riley raised his arm, indicating Sam to step forward. “You remember Sam.”

Buffy nodded and smiled at Sam, not know what to say. The woman before her didn’t resemble the woman that Buffy met before. Her smile no longer touched her lips, leaving a scowl on Sam’s mouth. “Yeah.” The two couples fell silent, not knowing what to say. Spike stepped closer to Buffy, wanting to mark his territory. He wanted to tease Riley that he had the girl, but he didn’t have it in him. Somehow pointing out the obvious, kicking him while he was down, just didn’t seem like fun. “So, England, huh?”

“Yeah, England.” Riley looked aver at Spike. “See you’re still hanging about. Lurking in the shadows still.”

Spike growled, but Buffy stepped forward, resting her hand on Spike’s arm. “Actually, we are together. Spike found me a while ago and we decided to try and give it another go.”

“Ah, I see. So how’s that going?”

“Wonderful, Riley. I am really happy. I don’t know what took me so long.” Buffy said quietly, looking at Spike the whole time. Giving him, his demon and human selves, the reassurance that he needed.

“That’s good.” Sam looked around, not comfortable with her husband talking to his ex-girlfriend. Not that she ever liked Buffy much for that, but she’s also the Slayer and still beautiful. Her hair looked healthy and growing long. The darker shade of blonde shimmered under the moon light, giving her an unearthly glow.

“So what have you two been doing these past couple years?” Spike put his arm around Buffy waist, resting comfortably. Sam imitated the pose, leaving nothing to the imagination on her intentions. Riley was hers and she wasn’t going to give him up. Spike felt the same way about Buffy.

“Traveling. We’re mercenaries and go where we are needed.” Riley looked around, on alert for any demon activity. “You?”

“Working. I write for a travel journal. I now live in Hawaii.” A genuine smile erupted from Buffy’s face. Even though she felt guilty that she was living a normal life, she couldn’t help but be happy about it. “We’re here visiting the Watcher’s Council.

“I see. Got quiet a tan on you. How about you, Spike? Stalking the beaches, going to get a suntan anytime soon?”

Spike growled, leaving Buffy’s side. Before anyone knew it, Riley’s injured leg gave way and he fell to the hard ground with Spike standing above him. “Look, ma, no chip! Shut up, pillock!” Spike backed away towards Buffy, who was barely stifling her laughter. Spike’s swagger increased as he neared her, letting his black duster wave in the dark night.

Sam helped Riley stand up again, careful of the new abrasions on his skin. “No chip? Are you crazy? Buffy, what is going on?” Riley spat angrily.

“Don’t Riley,” Buffy warned, letting her arms wrap around her vampire. “I don’t need any lectures, or warnings. I’m not under any thrall. Yes, those are bite marks that you see on my neck, but no, I am not a vampire. I am alive. Spike and I are mated. We are in love and nothing, not even the narrowest point of view, will change that.”

“Whatever, Buffy. Just don’t turn your back on him.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. If Riley only knew what they had been through. Angel’s torture, Xander, the Council. Turning her back was the last thing Buffy needed to worry about. “Noted, Riley. So, really, what are you doing here?”

“Told you, fighting the fight. Got a call about two weeks ago about some trouble brewing over here.”

Not believing a word that Riley was saying for the whole truth, Buffy nodded. Buffy and Spike started their own inner dialog. “Trouble brewing here? Only a few feet from the great Council of Wankers?”

“Spike, behave! I know, he isn’t telling the truth.” Buffy leaned into Spike; reveling in the comfort he gave her.

“Look at the bird, maybe Captain Cardboard doesn’t know why they are here.” Spike wrapped his arm tighter around Buffy’s waist. Something wasn’t right about Riley and Sam popping up.

“Could be. He never was one to think through things. Reminds me of some blond vampire I know.”

“Don’t! Ever! Compare! Me! To! Him!” Anger rolled through her, leaving her feeling cold. Spike moved away slightly, leaving inches of air space between the two.

“Sorry, didn’t mean it.” Buffy smiled at Riley, trying to keep up with what Riley was saying about Egypt and spider demons released from a tomb. “Spike?”

“Yeah, love?”

“I was just kidding.” Spike moved closer to Buffy, his arm inched up to her waist again. All was forgiven.

“Riley, Sam. We’re staying at the Council’s headquarters. It’s just around the corner. Want to come and maybe sit down with some coffee and talk?” Buffy offered. Riley looked at Sam and agreed.

~*~*~
The kitchen had closed a few hours ago, leaving Buffy to riffle through the cupboards looking for the coffee and filters. Only finding tea, Buffy resigned herself to make tea. “Guess the Brits aren’t up on the coffee.” She said while letting the teakettle warm.

“No problem, Buff. Come sit down. Tell us about your travel magazine.” Riley and Sam sat on one end of the kitchen island. Spike stood in a corner of the kitchen where the cupboards met, leaning on hip against the counter. Buffy stepped forward, leaning against the island facing Riley and Sam. The bright fluorescent lights did nothing to help their complexion. Life really didn’t treat them well. Riley’s skin was patchy with color, almost as if burned with acid.

“Well, I started out doing it on the side, picking up a few bucks as I traveled around the states. I got pretty good and was offered a job in Upper New York. Moved about a year later to Colorado and finally settled in Hawaii. My article isn’t made up of tourist traps, but from the local prospective. I own a hotel and night club in Hawaii.”

“Wow, so how’s the slaying?” Riley looked over Buffy’s perfect skin. Almost perfect, Spike’s claim still marred her neck.

“Retired for a while. Came out a few weeks back to train a new one. Faith died. I don’t know if you remember her, but she’s…”

“Yeah, a guy can’t forget that, trust me.”

Buffy blushed and looked down at her hands. Her nails were long and needed a manicure, the polish chipping at the ends. Looking over at Sam’s fingers, she noted that her right ring finger was cut off half way. Her skin was dirty and puckered, leaving scar tissue to surround her fingers. None existent nails grew out of the dirty stumps she had as nailbeds. Buffy’s guilt returned. “Yeah, well. When she died, another was called and so on. I’ve been in the training mode.”

“Ah, so how’s retired life?”

“Seems to be looking up.” Buffy spared a glance at Spike. Appearing bored with the conversation, Spike picked at his black nail polish, also noticing Sam’s injured hand.

Sitting around the kitchen seemed so strange for them all. The conversation strained and stayed away from certain subjects including the undead. “Want a short tour of this fine establishment? Can’t show you the upstairs, but the downstairs is pretty pop and circumstance.”

Riley and Sam followed Buffy, leaving Spike to trail behind. Riley listened intently to what Buffy was saying. She repeated the same nonsense descriptions of the artwork on the walls and different furniture that one of the young Watchers bestowed on them. Sam looked around, studying everything, every nook and cranny. Her eyes never ceased to travel along the walls, the corridors, and the floor. Spike felt like she was casing the joint, memorizing its layout. “Where are all the Watchers?” Sam asked in the foyer. “Shouldn’t they be milling around?”

“Um, probably upstairs or already left.” Buffy said distractedly. Sam looked up the stairs, hoping to catch a glimpse of a Watcher. She hesitated and then started to move toward the staircase.

Spike stepped forward and grabbed her arm, “Afraid you can’t go up there, pet.”

“Let go of me, you demon!” Sam pulled her arms away, twisting her body, almost loosing balance on the bottom stair.

Buffy stopped Riley from going after Spike while his back was turned, watching Sam disengage herself. “I believe the Slayer told you not to go up there.”

“What? It’s not like she’s in charge.” Sam snorted, happy with herself.

A large booming voice interrupted the four, “Actually, Miss Summers is indeed in charge here.” Buffy looked up to see the plump, yet surprisingly supportive, Quentin Travers on the stair landing. Quentin walked slowly down the stair with his chest puffed out. He stopped a few stairs about Sam. “Mr. And Mrs. Finn, I heard you were in town.”

“Sir.” Riley saluted, his military training shining through.

“The infamous married mercenaries. You aren’t very quiet when you stroll into a town, are you?”

Sam stepped of the staircase, surprised to be faced with the head of the Watcher’s Council. “Mr. Travers. I have a matter I need to discuss with you.”

Riley looked shocked, not knowing Sam knew Quentin Travers by face or name. “Sam?”

“Hush, Finn. Prime directive from the Source.” Sam glanced at Riley.

“Any business you would like to discuss should be with Miss Summers here, she is now officially Head of the Council.” Both Spike and Buffy looked strangely at Quentin, his change of attitude surprised them greatly.

“No, I believe this concerns you.” Sam’s voice rose in volume, trying to assert herself in the eyes of Quentin.

“No, I believe Miss Summers would like to know exactly why you are here in England. More specifically near the Council of Watchers.” Buffy looked questionably towards Quentin and then towards Riley. Riley looked as surprised as Buffy and Spike felt. “I think she would like to know the apparent disbandment of the covert United States government mission subtitled the Initiative is not so much disbanded anymore. Isn’t that right, Mrs. Finn?” Quentin stepped down to the main floor. “The nefarious dealings of your troops in the Sudan and Sri Lanka hasn’t bypassed the Council. We are aware that your cause has gained support from the Middle East and the guerillas of Central America. And, Mr. And Mrs. Finn, I would like to go on record of telling you to back off. Human wars maybe your prerogative, but the demon war is mine. Stand down.”

“Mr. Travers, you don’t understand. We are on the same side.” Sam stepped closer to Quentin, trying to get her point across.

“No, Mrs. Finn, I don’t believe you heard me. Stand down! Go back to your army in Nicaragua and live on the human side of this reality. Forget the demons and the ethereal beings because it is not your war to fight. Leave now and never come back.”

Riley, clearly angry and disoriented, dragged his wife out the front door and into the night. Shocked still, Buffy and Spike listened to the explanation Quentin bestowed on them. The Initiative was once again active.