The old Wizard leaned in a whispered, “We may not have Slayers but we do have heroes and they too need Watchers.” We both began to chuckle. I saw the twinkle in his eye and he reminded me of Giles. Daran and I spent another month together. In that time I had learned some magic. At the end of the month I knew I would be moving on and I did not know if I would be back. I wrote letters to all of my friends and left them with Basir who also knew my time with them was growing short. Although Daran and I had never been physically intimate we had shared our souls with one another. A part of him would always be with me.

“Must you leave me my love?” Daran asked even though he knew the answer. “Daran you know I must but part of you will always be here in my heart.” I look at him with tears in my eyes before speaking again, “You believe as I that we will meet again. Maybe in another time and place but our souls will always remember” I said in elvish before kissing his cheek and walking away.
**********************************************************.

I had gathered my things earlier that day and said goodbye to my friends and the Lady. I had not realized I had acquired so many things in my stay here. I was given a pack in which I put my cloths and things I wanted to keep. I asked the Lady to see the rest got a proper home then I got onto the horse and followed Basir into the wood. I was not sure where I would go next or how I would get there but I would always remember this place. It reminded me of what it had felt like in heaven.

We rode in companionable silence until night fall when we set up camp. Basir was showing me how to identify herbs in the forest and what they could be used for. He was currently looking to find something we could cook. We had some rations the Lady sent with us but we did not know how long until we parted ways so we decided to use them sparingly. “Besides I like living off what the earth provides me!” Basir said. He had been appalled when I told him of our super markets and fast food joints. “A meal should be enjoyed with company. We discuss business and important happenings at our meals. You can not get these things done by rushing through a quick meal.” He had gruffed. I giggled but she thought he was right. The best Scooby meetings had all been over pizza or donuts or some kind of food. When I think about it though it is still common for people to offer guest food and drink when they come into your home.

We talked of many things before sleep found us that night, but it did not last for long. We had reached the edge of the Lady’s wood before camping. I awoke to a noise with my Slayer senses on full. I noticed Basir lying in his roll but as Wizards tend to sleep with their eyes open I was not sure if he was awake or not. I quietly got out of my bed roll and armed myself.

A few minutes past as I sat and listened for the noise. I was not disappointed as some really ugly creatures came rushing up on us. I was ready for them. I positioned myself between them and Basir. I was not sure what these things were or what to do so I bluffed my way through it. “You have entered the sacred wood for the Golden Lady. Leave now and I will show you mercy. Stay and face me I will show you death.” I said in elvish. I repeated it in common as well. The creatures were not intelligent. I was not sure if they did not understand me or if they did not think me a threat. Well there was six of them and one of me. The “leader” of the group finally spoke, “Tugoth think sleeping man scarier than little girl” it said.

I was angry but I had learned enough to control it. I simply looked at him and let an evil smirk form on my face that would have made Spike proud. “Well Tugoth, School is in and I’m the teacher. Today’s lesson: NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT”S COVER. Class begins now” I quipped as I motioned for him to attack me. I started off easy, a few kicks, some punches, then the others started coming to join in so I used my sword. I let my Slayer out and danced with my blade as I took down one after another. Before long they all lay dead at my feet. As I calmed down I looked around and quibbed, “Here endeth the lesson.” I cleaned my sword and wiped the gunk off my cloths before returning to lie on my bed roll. I sleep until mid morning.

I awoke to the smell of Basir fixing something like coffee. He watched me as I sat up. He did not say a word but his glare showed he was hesitant and more distant than he had been the night before. I had finally had enough. “What is it?” I sighed. He sweep his arm out indicating the destruction from the fight. “I’ll take care of it after I eat.” I said. It was a normal thing for me. If a body did not dissolve then I had to dispose of it.

Basir looked at me in shock, “I believe those are bits of troll. Mind telling me what happened.” He did not look pleased as he spoke. “I got woke up by a noise. Grabbed my weapons, saw the uglies coming and was ready. Told them they had entered the Lay’s wood and could leave the way they came or die. The smartest one, and that is not saying much, said he was more worried about you than me and you were asleep. So we had a little lesson on books and covers.” I told him like it was no big deal and for me it wasn’t.

Basir asked how many and I told him only six. He was surprised. Seems most of the time to take down a single Troll you need four men each or two magic users. I just shrugged, “Took down a Troll God back home and beat a Hell God to death with his hammer. I’m a Slayer it’s what I do.” I said sadly, “I will understand if you wish to leave my company Basir. Not many can deal with what I do.” He put his arm around me and gave me a fatherly hug. For a moment I was reminded of Giles.

“Daran said you were special. I heard all the stories you told and I guess it did not sink in. I can’t believe I sleep through the whole thing. Slayer you are a remarkable person. I would dishonor myself and my people to leave your company before it is time.” Basir said in a serious tone. I nodded my head and the matter was settled. We talked a bit during the day as we traveled.