Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy tries to learn why the PTB put her on this journey.

(Authors note: Connor’s dream came from the story line of creators of the Wandererverse, I would not dare to claim ownership)
The next chapter will be writen for Tuesday! Any guesses where she will go next?
Gus shook his head again. “You pegged Connor alright. In fact I think he is who could help you more. He and his student James will be here soon. You may find this interesting. James actually was an actor before his first death. He appeared a few times as a bad guy on the TV show Slayer. While you’re here may be we will have time to compare stories. Your Highlander against the real thing and our Slayer against your story.” He said and started to laugh when I cringed. I was curious but I did not really want to know the stories about my life.
***************************************************

I was watching Gus make dinner when we felt the buzz. A cautious Connor and James entered Gus’s home. Connor nodded a hello to Gus while he watched me. “Hey Gus, who’s your friend?”, James asked. I could not help but stare. He looked just like Spike. As I stood there with my mouth open in shock he smirked and winked at me. I had to remind myself I was not in my own world.

“Connor, James, meet Buffy the Vampire Slayer” Gus said with humor in his voice. Connor gave him a look as if he did not appreciate the joke but James smiled and slipped into the role he played on the show. “Well, nice to meet you Slayer.” A chill went through me as he prowled around me setting my slayer on edge. “I guess I’m in luck. I just got word I’m the Slayers new love interest. Name’s William, pet. Maybe you can help me work on my lines later.” James purred in my ear while he ran a finger down my arm. I shivered for a moment before remembering where I was. He was smiling a smug smile at almost rival Spike’s. The Master Slayer decided to two can play this game.

With in seconds I had maneuvered him so he was sitting on the stool and I was straddling him. For a few minutes we forgot we were not alone. The heat between us was amazing. “Well William, I must tell you I do seem to have a thing for vamps. Although things tend to end up messy in the end. What with all the dust and everything.” I said giving him my best sweet and innocent look. Gus cleared his throat and I remembered that they were here and this was not my William. I blushed and got off the nice immortal. We sat down at dinner and I repeated my story.

Connor and James said they would help in any way they could. James told us more about his new role on the TV show. After dinner James and I went out on the porch to talk while Gus and Connor discussed what to do with me. “James I want to apologize for my behavior earlier. I don’t know what happened. I think your play acting reminded my Slayer to much of our Vampire.” I spoke softly to him. “No sweat sweetheart. I did not believe Gus at first but I saw the Slayer in your eyes and then I believed. Besides I’ve always been bad about playing with fire.” James purred, “You’re a strong woman Buffy. I would be lye’n if I did not say I felt something between us. I know you felt it too. I have never felt anything like this before and I must tell you it scares me a bit.” He looked up at me with intense blue eyes. He looked so much like Spike at the moment I gasp. We sat there as I quietly told him about living on the hellmouth and about Spike and Angel. Before we knew it the sun was coming up. We went inside to get some sleep. He showed me to the guest room where Gus had already put my stuff. As I sleep I dreamed of Spike.

I awoke in a cold sweet the dream had been so vivid I must have called out in my sleep. James had run in taking me in his arms telling me it was okay that he was there. Gus and Connor stood in the doorway looking worried. I am not sure if they were more worried about me and my dream or how close James and I were after a few short hours. James looked up at the guys, who nodded and left us alone. “Buffy honey, what happened? I heard you screaming.” James asked. He was so concerned it showed clear in his eyes. I recovered enough to tell him about my dream.

“I was standing in the hellmouth, and it was like the last time I had see Spike. I told him I loved him and he didn’t believe me. He told me to get out while I still could but this time I could not leave him there. I walked slowly until I was pressed tightly against him. The fire engulfed us both but it did not really burn. I told him again that I loved him and I was staying with him. The others did not need me, but he did. I saw the love in his eyes when he looked at me. After a moment he gasp and a look of amazement came over his face. It was like he finally believed that I loved him. The fire took us somewhere after the hellmouth closed. It was not like we died but more like we were moved to another place. I heard a voice speaking softly. I could not tell if it was male or female or maybe both. It said that our destiny had been fulfilled and a new one waited for us. It told us we were champions of the light and as such would receive our rewards. The voice disappeared and the First was there. It swallowed Spike and turned to me. It told me I was forever locked out of Heaven after my friends pulled me back to earth. It said it would hunt down the souls of all that I love, no matter what universe and kill them. I saw it tear the souls out of everyone I have met on this journey.” I started to cry as he held me in his arms.

“Buffy the PTB are not going to let that happen and neither will you. I heard you screaming my name honey. That is not what woke me though. I felt your need for me before you started screaming. I don’t know why but I knew you needed me here. Not Connor or Gus…Me. You say I remind you of your Vampire. Maybe it is my soul. Connor had a friend, an old immortal who was Chinese. Told me a lot about the universes. I listened but thought it was nonsense until I met you. One thing he told me was that there are other versions of us in other universe. Most people have many sides that only show up once and a while. Those sides may be more dominate in our other selves. You say I remind you of this vampire. I may represent him on this plane. I can tell you some differences I have noticed from what you told me already. One I am a very patient man, two I try to find way around violence, and three although I’m protective over things that are given to me freely I do not obsess over them. I write songs and sing but never care as much about fame as about the fans. I enjoy what I do and enjoy that people like what I do. If it is one person or one thousand I would still do it for those reasons.” James whispered to me as he held me and stroked my hair.

I don’t know how but I knew his words where true. He was very much like the human still left in Spike. That was when I realized Daran was like Spike’s soul and James was his human. I shuddered to think that on this journey I might also meet Spike’s demon.

I looked up into his blue eyes and felt like my mind shut down and my body took over. I leaned up and kissed him softly. He gasps for a moment looking for something in my eyes. What ever he found there was what he was looking for because he kissed me and deepened the kiss. He slid down to lie beside me and I pressed myself into his body craving the closeness. We both broke the kiss gulping in air as if we had forgotten we needed to breath.

I could smell his arousal, before the thought of smelling such a thing was disgusting but now the only thoughts in my mind were the words Faith had said so long ago………Want.Take.Have. Right then I wanted the man who held me so tightly in his arms. I rubbed myself against him as a moan escaped from both of us.

Hands began exploring over and then under clothing. Needing to feel him I ripped both our shirts open and pressed our bodies together. James was turned on more by my aggressiveness. He took the hint and began working on the rest of our cloths before I could tear them away as well. In moments we were touching skin to skin with nothing between us. It still was not enough. I needed him inside me. I tried to hurry it along but James showed that he to could be dominant. He took his time exploring my body with his hands, lips and tongue.

He finally lay over me using his arms to hold himself up and looked into my eyes, “Buffy are you sure?” He asked as he held himself just short of where I wanted him. I was surprised I could still speak. I moaned out a yes just before he slammed into me all the way to the hilt. He stayed still for a moment as if fighting not to lose it then and there.

Finally he began to move as we set up a rhythm that was so natural it was like we had done this a thousand times. It was slow and sensual but I started needing more. My heels dug into his ass cheeks as my nails clawed into his back. As if he knew what I wanted he began to drive into me faster and harder. He managed to hit both my clit and g-spot on each stroke. The tidal wave I had felt building inside me finally broke and I screamed out his name. He still pounded me into the mattress and a few moments later we both screamed as another orgasm hit me and he gave himself over to his own. James slid over to lounge beside me again and pulled a cover over us as we both drifted back to sleep again.

I awoke some hours later feeling very satisfied. That is until it all hit me. I had sex with someone I just met and only because he reminded me of Spike. The Slayer quickly beat down the old Buffy as I remembered all I had learned. I looked up to see the door was closed and groaned. James stirred and looked at me.

I could see he was unsure as to how I would feel after such an emotional morning. He thought about his words carefully, “Morning Buffy. I feel I must tell you I don’t have casual sex. Last night was not a one-night stand and it was more to me than just sex. I’m not sure what it was but I’m just as scared here as you are.” He whispered as he held me close.

I knew there was no need to say anything else just now so I let it be and changed the subject. “I think we will have some explaining to do when we get up. Somebody closed the door at some point. I just hope it was after we fell asleep.” I was sure I had a blush on my face. James just chuckled. Finally we got up and dressed as we both realized we needed food and had to face the cousins.

As we walked out we found the others in the kitchen preparing a meal. We sat down at the table. Connor looked over at us with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes as he tried to keep the smile from forming. Gus just looked concerned. “Good afternoon, Buffy I hope you are better now.” Gus asked.

“Yes..I..Um..had a nightmare about my past. I’m sorry about waking everyone up but I was thinking maybe we could train later. I have gotten out of practice and would like to see if there is something new you can teach me.” I asked Gus as I tried not to blush. Gus agreed and after we eat we talked about what I would be learning. I even watched an episode of “Slayer”. I was impressed with how the stunts were done, even though I could tell they were stunts. James was in this one. He played a convincing vampire. The role of William was a vampire similar to Angel but with more of Spike’s look and personality. I learned a lot about myself watching how the other characters treated the Slayer. This story was your typical gather the troops so they can discuss what to do while the Slayer figures out what to do, sends them on a helpful errand out of the way and then slay the bad guy, kiss boyfriend, end show. I remember how much simpler thing were back then.

For the next two weeks I helped James go over his lines and work on his stunt. I found it cute that he insisted on doing his own ever since becoming immortal. Gus and Connor taught me some martial arts and we all worked out daily. I was feeling in better than top shape. Connor taught me new mediation exercises as well as helping me worked on strengthening my senses. “A strong body is nothing without the Mind and Spirit to match”; Connor would tell me when I got discouraged.

As I approached the living room I heard Connor and Gus talking. Al though there voices where low I could make out every word so I listened………………………“Gus I really must say I had trouble believing her at first. Even with all we have seen in the last few hundred years.” Connor said. “I know, if she had not talked to me about immortals and what she knew I might have tried to take her head on our first meeting” Gus laughed. “From what I have seen you would have gotten your butt handed to ya” Connor chuckled, “She is who she says she is. Can you imagine if demons are real in her world then there must be a few here right?” he asked. Gus nodded not liking where the boy scout was taking this conversation, “May be that is what we are here for? What if we ware here to be the Slayers in our world? I had a dream once and this guy in my dream told me that the demons started the game to have us killing each other off. What if that is true and we are supposed to be warriors of the light like Buffy?” Gus shook his head, “Connor you have a point and it is probable but trying to prove it or do it is not.”………… They both continued in their own thoughts as I drifted back into the shadows and out of the hallway. They had a road a head of them that was for sure. I was not sure if I should be happy they might end the game or sad they would speed eternity with a life like mine.

In my spare time, James and I would go out. We spent hours just talking. We sleep in the same bed ever night but had not been intimate again since that first night. We kissed and held each other but I think both of us knew this was temporary and I would be moving on.

I knew my time here was coming to an end. It had been a month just like last time. I really did not want to leave James but just as with Darin something told me they would find me again. It was their souls that I was attracted to. It was the memory of Spike they invoked in me.

Just as I feared I had a dream that last night. I was walking through a doorway when I saw a young man stop another man from being hit by a truck. I had seen him move faster than any vamp or slayer I knew of. I saw that I was outside of a place that sold newspapers. When I woke up James knew something was wrong. I clung to him desperately as I cried knowing I would never see him in this time and place again. Today I must say my good byes and caught a bus. Today I must move on to where my journey leads me.

James and I made love that morning. We did not talk, no tearful goodbyes, no words we did not mean. I said goodbye to Gus and Connor and wished them well. They told me to remember all they had taught me and they would do the same. James hugged me and kissed me before I got on the bus headed west. “I love you guys and we will meet again somewhere some how, so don’t lose your heads” I yelled out before taking my seat. Most of the passengers looked at me as if I was crazy.

One man though made a motion for me to sit next to him. I don’t know why but I did.
“I’m Jonathan. I am your guide through the next part of your journey. After talking with the PTB we think this time you can help someone else from your experience. We are headed to my hometown. My son is having trouble excepting that my death was not his fault. I think you could help him learn he cannot save everyone. He will need it for the battle he is going to be facing. It was much like yours with the First. You will not be there as long. You are not there to fight but to teach.” Jonathan said before disappearing. As I fell asleep and dreamed of the battles with Faith, Glory, and the First, then of losing Mom and coming back from the dead. I think the powers wanted those experiences fresh in my mind when I meet Jonathan’s son.