A/N: Thanks to everyone who reviewed! I apologize for not posting sooner. Had surgery a couple of weeks ago & was out of commission for a bit, but now I'm playing catch up & I'm back to bug you--aren't you lucky! Hope you like the latest...

Clem glanced up from the television to see the blond vampire stalk into the crypt. He had been surprised to come home and find the crypt empty, but judging from the unpleasant look on his friend’s face his plan had finally worked. Good thing too. He was quickly exhausting his poker winnings buying presents for the Slayer. His friend looked upset. No doubt he was coming home from one of their infamous fights, but they had talked, and that was a step in the right direction.



“Everything okay?” he asked grinning from floppy ear to floppy ear as he jumped up from Spike’s favorite chair. “Did you see Buffy?”



“That stupid bint,” Spike sighed settling into the vacated chair.



“You saw the Slayer,” Clem confirmed his smile growing even broader if that was possible. “I’m sure she was upset, she didn’t…”



“I leave her for a few months, and she goes out and gets herself involved with some Slayer hunter,” the vampire growled.



“You mean the Slayer’s new boyfriend?” Clem asked more confused than ever. “You didn’t fight with him, did you?”



Spike’s blue eyes rolled toward the ceiling. “Bloody hell, I didn’t even get to talk to him! I should have seen it. All those bloody presents.”



“You mean she still thinks he gave them to her?” he blurted out.



“What do you mean, thinks he gave them to her?” Spike questioned glancing at the saggy-skinned demon suspiciously. “Who else would be giving her presents?”



“Oh, nobody,” he backpedaled. “I’m sure he must be the one giving them to her.”



“What are you not telling me?” His scarred brow rose questioningly as he watched the demon shuffle his feet nervously in the dust covering the stone floor.



“N—nothing,” he replied putting on his most innocent face. “Really, I… I… It was me.”



“You?” the vampire growled. His fingers dug into the arms of the chair as he glared at the shaking demon through golden pupils. “Why would you be giving the Slayer gifts?”



“I…I didn’t know she’d think it was him,” Clem explained quickly. “I only wanted to help. I thought she’d guess it was you.”



“You were sneaking into Buffy’s house to leave her gifts from me?” He had a hard time believing Clem could break into anywhere without tipping someone off, much less make it into the Slayer’s bedroom and back out again.



“I didn’t break into her house!” Clem cursed himself silently. He never could keep his mouth shut when he was nervous.



“You didn’t break in?” Spike sighed. He had enough to worry about, and now he had to worry about Clem’s misadventures in matchmaking. “Who did?”



Clem’s shoulders drooped almost as badly as his ears. “I hired some guys…”



“Some guys?”



“Okay, vampires,” he admitted.



“You hired vampires to break into the Slayer’s house?” Spike burst from the chair, and he curled his fingers into the front of Clem’s shirt. “What would possess you to... Wait a minute, how did these blokes get inside?”



“I don’t know!” Clem shook violently in the vampire’s grasp. “They said they had it taken care of. I was just trying to help. I figured it was the Slayer. If they tried anything, she’d take care of them.”



Spike released his friend with a growl. The vampire part of him wanted to throttle him, but his soul kept reminding him this was his friend. Clem would never intentionally put the Slayer in danger.



“Sorry, mate,” he muttered. “I know you didn’t mean any harm, but I need you to stay with Dawn tonight.”



“You think she’s in danger?” he gasped as his thick fingers massaged his neck under the folds of skin.



“I’m pretty sure they’re after the Slayer,” he replied settling back onto his chair, “but I’d feel better if the Niblet wasn’t alone tonight.”





***





“Going out tonight?” Dawn looked up from the television as the Slayer descended the stairs.



“Ryan thought we could hit the Bronze tonight.” Buffy smiled happily as she shrugged into her jacket.



“You’re going out again?” she sighed. “You’ve been out every night.”



“Dawn, come on,” she sighed. “How often do I get a night out that doesn’t include vampires? I thought you liked Ryan.”



“I never said I didn’t like him,” she replied. She just didn’t trust him. “You’ve been out every night this week.”



“I thought you’d be happy for me,” Buffy snapped.



“I am,” Dawn sighed. It was no point talking to her sister. She was too far gone now. “Just be careful, okay?”



“I always am,” Buffy’s broad smile returned as she headed for the door. “Don’t wait up!”





TBC…