Clem watched the blond vampire cross the room and slump into the battered chair. He seemed tired since he had returned from Africa, and he seemed even more so after the Slayer’s sister had visited. He had expected his friend to return to the Hellmouth sans chip prepared to rid the world of the Slayer once and for all. Instead of wreaking a bloody vengeance, Spike had hid in the crypt, and if it was possible he was even more obsessed with the Slayer than when he had left.

“But you want to see her again. Even I can see that,” the floppy demon insisted. “She and Dawn miss you. So what are you waiting for?”

Spike put a cigarette to his kips and lit it. He inhaled deeply and then exhaled a cloud of white smoke slowly before answering. “Upset that she didn’t put a stake through my heart before I left would be more like it.”

“She really wouldn’t do that,” Clem replied. “She really cared for you. Anybody could see it.”

“Anybody, except her,” he replied. There was a far away look in his blue eyes as if he were losing himself in memories of better times. He tended to do that quite often since returning, and Clem worried that the discussion was over.

“After what I did, love is the last thing she would want from me, he sighed his expression hardening as more disturbing memories entered his mind.

“But she misses you,” Clem pushed. "You should talk to her, apologize, talk things out.”

“This isn’t exactly a talking things out sort of problem, mate,” he told his friend as he took one last drag off the cigarette. Spike tossed the still smoldering butt to the floor and stomped it out with the heel of his scuffed combat boot as he made his way across the crypt to the trapdoor leading to the lower level.

“So what do you plan to do?” Clem asked before the vampire could disappear through the hole in the floor. “Sit around the crypt and watch TV all night?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Spike told him curtly as he descended the ladder.

“What about the Slayer?” he called after the vampire. “She needs you.”

“I’m the last thing she needs,” Spike’s voice floated up through the hole. “She’ll move on and take care of herself. She always does.”

Clem shook his head as he returned to the fridge and pulled out one of the many cans of Cheese Whiz from the upper shelf. “Thick headed vampire,” he muttered before filling his mouth with a large does of cheese.







*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*







Buffy twirled her stake aimlessly about her fingers, as her eyes scanned the empty cemetery—not that she actually expected to see anything. She had been patrolling the cemetery for over an hour, and she hadn’t even seen a disturbed grave much less a real dead vampire. She hated nights like this. She was so tired of spending her evenings roaming about an empty graveyard moping about that damned missing vampire.

She should be glad that he was gone. A sigh passed her lips sounding more like a groan as she tucked her stake into the pocket of her shorts. It was a good thing that he left. She needed to concentrate on getting her life in order, making their home as close to normal as it could be for Dawn, and most of all, she needed to stop obsessing. If only she could come across a single baddie, even a fledgling would do. A good spot of violence was just what she needed to take her mind off things.

“Help me!” The scream came like an answer to her prayers. “Somebody help me!”

Buffy sprinted across the cemetery pulling the stake out of her pocket as she leapt over a low-lying gravestone. Almost instantly, she found herself rounding the crypt Spike once called home. It was so convenient that she would find her first fight in weeks behind this place, She almost expected to find him, now chipless, with fangs bared ready to rip apart some innocent Sunnydale citizen, Quickly, she pushed the thought from her mind. It was time she remembered that she was the Slayer, and not some love struck teenager.

She almost felt relief as she reached the back of the crypt to find a group of vamps, all three with backs turned, too busy traumatizing a rather attractive although extremely terrified young man. He was dressed in a blue denim shirt and a rather snug pair of jeans. From his appearance, he must have spent the evening at the Bronze. He must of have been new to Sunnydale. She would have remembered seeing him around. Besides, most long term residents of the ‘Dale knew better than using the cemetery as a route home after sunset.

“Focus, Buffy!” she scolded herself. She couldn’t believe she was checking him out! Had she completely forgotten she was the Slayer? This wasn’t a special on location episode of The Dating Game!

The sound of her voice was enough to distract the three. When the blond of the trio turned to face her, she actually felt a tinge of regret to see, while similar in features, it was definitely not the vampire she had hoped. Buffy gave her head a quick shake angry with herself for her momentary distraction.

“Look guys,” the blond laughed running the tip of his tongue over his sharp, yellow fangs, “and we thought we’d have to hunt down dessert.”

Buffy returned the creature’s smile. She was going to enjoy this! She’d miss the quirky little pre-slaying banter, especially with the few vampires left who didn’t recognize that she was the Slayer.

“Oh boys,” she sighed twirling the stake about her slender fingers, “didn’t your sire ever tell you not to play with your food?”

The young man leaning against the crypt wall cringed, his eyes growing wide at her response. It was obvious she wasn’t exactly what he had in mind when he was screaming for a savior, and he was probably wondering why she hadn’t taken off across the cemetery at the sight of the lumpy beasts before her. This thought didn’t seem to faze the vampires—it never did—as the one to Buffy’s right burst out laughing at her response.

“We’ve got a funny one,” the third that seemed to have forgotten the importance of bathing even after death growled. “What happened to the running and screaming? I love it when the scream!”

“She’ll be screaming soon enough,” the blond assured his companion taking a slow step towards the Slayer.

“Actually, you’re going to be the one screaming. Like a girl, if I don’t miss my guess.”

With that the Slayer made her move. You could only make small talk for so long. The heel of her boot connected with the blonde’s chin with a satisfying crack. He was up again quickly. She blocked his barrage of swings easily, and swung the stake in for the kill. She couldn’t help but wonder why the other two had yet to jump in to help their comrade, but after all her years slaying, she knew vampires were far from a loyal lot.

The moment she took her attention away from her assailant, she was blinded by a glaring white light. Buffy clutched her stake tighter. There was no falling sensation, but she knew she was dying again. She should have been happy. She could still remember what it had been like—she would always remember—but she couldn’t be happy. As badly as she had wanted to return last fall, she knew she couldn’t leave now. Dawn needed her, and Spike wouldn’t be around to take care of her this time.

Almost as quickly as it came the light dissipated, and she found herself back behind the crypt. The vampires were gone, and their would be victim sat in the thick grass leaning against the stone wall still trembling with fear.

“O…kay,” her eyelids fluttered as she adjusted to the dim light. “You didn’t happen to see where they went?”

His eyes darted about as if searching for the missing demons as he struggled to his feet. Buffy couldn’t see any injuries, but he was still quite shaken up. “I…uh…no,” he answered. “How did you do that?”

“Um, oh that?” she answered slowly. “Um, self-defense class. Listen, if you’re okay, I’ve got to get going. You might want to get out of the cemetery. Those guys might still be lurking about somewhere.”

She didn’t wait foe a reply. It was better not to stick around for deeper explanations. Besides, it was getting late, and Dawn should have gone to bed by now.

“Hey!” Buffy sighed hearing footsteps behind her. “I really wanted to thank you.”

“Not necessary,” she replied continuing on her path out of the cemetery. “Just part of the job…”

“The job?” he sounded more confused as he placed a hand on her arm. She quickly shoved the stake behind her back as she stopped to face him. “Listen, really, I need to thank you somehow.”

“Really,” she gave him a weak smile, “you don’t need to thank me.”

“Yes, I do,” he insisted. “A beautiful girl saves my life, it’s mandatory that I take her out for coffee. I’m Ryan by the way.”

She could feel her cheeks begin to burn red. It had been so long since she had met a good-looking guy who was also sweet. “I’m Buffy.”

“Buffy,” Ryan repeated as if testing out the sound of it. “Well, Buffy, my warrior princess, would you care to join me for a little refreshment?”

“Well, I suppose I could spare the time for one cup,” she laughed. It would be nice to spend an evening not obsessing over Spike.

“Shall we then?” he gave her a smile as he offered her his arm.