Dawn entered the kitchen slowly. She was half afraid to see what she might find within the room. The night before had been rather unnerving. Buffy had come home late as usual, but instead of the usual crying and tossing and turning that had become standard since Spike had left, she had grabbed a shower and then went to bed. She wasn’t positive, but she could have sworn she had heard her sister humming as she had crossed the hall to her bedroom.



She had gotten up at her usual time that morning, and had been surprised to see Buffy’s door open and her bed empty as she had walked down the hall to the bathroom. Her sister was hardly ever out of bed before she got up. Something had happened while Buffy had been on patrol, and she could only hope it had something to do with Spike. She’d definitely have to stop by the crypt before she went to the Magick Shop.



“Buffy?” Dawn said softly as she entered the kitchen. Buffy was sitting by the counter munching on a bagel and browsing the want ads.



“Hey, Dawn,” Buffy looked up from the paper and gave her sister a broad smile. “I didn’t hear you get up. Want me to make you a bagel?”



“Sure,” she answered sitting down on the stool on the opposite side of the counter. Buffy was fully dressed and not in sweats, which had seemed to have become her usual morning attire of late. Her hair was perfect, and she even had taken the time to do her makeup. “So what’s up, Buffy?”



“What?” she asked looking a little surprised as she turned from the toaster. “I’d have to say nothing considering it’s first thing in the morning.”



“You know what I mean,” Dawn made a small gesture with her hand pointing out the Slayer’s outfit. “What’s with the new look?”



“What?” she looked down at her shirt as if looking for a spot or loose thread. “This is what I always wear.”



“Yeah, around noon maybe,” she replied with a smirk. “So what happened last night to make Buffy such a happy Slayer?”



“Nothing,” she answered quickly turning her attention to spreading a thick layer of cream cheese on the bagel. “Well, I did run into a few vamps. Ran off before I could dust ‘em though.”



“And?” she pressed.



“And what?” she asked innocently as she placed the bagel in front of her sister.



“A little slayage isn’t going to put you in this good of mood,” Dawn told her in between bites of bagel. “So who did you meet?”



“What makes you…Fine,” Buffy sighed. “I did meet someone.”



“So, he’s back?” she blurted out dropping the bagel on the plate. “Is he okay? Did he ask about me?”



“Dawn,” Buffy suddenly looked serious and even a little angry, “it wasn’t Spike.”



Dawn’s smile quickly faded. “It wasn’t?”



“He’s not coming back, Dawn. I know you miss him, but you’re going to have to face it. He’s gone.”



“But you miss him too,” she objected.



Buffy rolled her eyes towards the ceiling as she left out a long sigh. “Yeah, I do. I was furious with him for a long time, but I’ve had time to think about it. He’s a demon, and what would I expect a demon to do?”



“Yeah, but he was good too,” she protested. “He took care of me and you too when you came back.”



“I don’t know,” she sighed. “It might have been the chip, but whatever it was, I don’t think that part will let him come back. I’m sorry, Dawnie, it’s just not going to happen, but if it’s any consolation, I did meet someone.”



“Well,” actually no, she thought to herself, “I guess. Who did you meet?”



“Your enthusiasm is underwhelming,” she teased.



“No, I’m sorry,” Dawn plastered a smile on her face. “Really, who did you meet?”



“Well, his name is Ryan,” she replied looking happier than Dawn had seen her sister in a long time. “I was patrolling, and I heard this guy yelling for help…”



“He’s a vampire?” she cocked and eyebrow suspiciously.



“No!” Buffy snapped. “He was the blood suckee not the blood sucker. I saved him, and then we went out for coffee.”



“That’s great, Buffy,” she replied trying to keep the disappointment from her voice. “Um, I’d better get down to the Shop. Anya needs me to help her set up some displays. She has this idea for a back-to-school sale.”



“And no good student should start school without their eye of newt,” she laughed. “Go on, we’ll do the girl talk thing tonight.”





***





“So you’re back already?” Clem stopped short as he entered the crypt. He hadn’t expected to find the vampire anywhere near the cemetery today much less in his dusty, old chair siphoning down bourbon and watching reruns on the TV.



“Where else would I be, mate?” he growled wiping the back of his hand across his lips.



“I, um, thought…Buffy,” the demon stuttered obviously confused. This wasn’t anywhere near how the plan was supposed to go.



“What about the Slayer?” Spike snapped taking a large gulp from his bottle.



“She was here,” he replied quickly, “last night, right?”



“Yeah,” she was outside,” the vampire replied.



“Outside?” That wasn’t how it was supposed to go. “She didn’t come in?”



“She was a little preoccupied with slaying a bunch of vamps to pay a social call,” he grumbled.



“And you didn’t go out and help her?’ Clem pushed.



“Bloody hell, no!” Spike shot back gripping the neck of the bottle so tightly his hand shook. “She doesn’t want to see me, and she’s not going to. ‘Sides, she handled it just fine on her own.”



Spike shot him a cold glare and then focused his attention on the television set. Clem didn’t nee to be hit in the head with a rock. The conversation was over.



“I—I’m going out,” he told the vampire staring at the set as he crossed the crypt to the ladder. “I’ve, um, got to meet some guys.”



“Right, mate,” Spike mumbled his eyes not leaving the screen.





***





“So, the delivery has been made?” the blond vampire snapped.



“Yeah, it’s there,” the other replied. “Why don’t you do it next time? I don’t want to run into that Slayer again. Last night we were lucky!”



“The Master chose you to do it,” the blonde’s lips curled into a cruel smile, “and if you don’t follow His orders what he would do to you would make you beg for the Slayer.”



“Hey guys!” Clem called as he lumbered down the tunnel. “Working on the plan?”



“Yes, the plan,” the blond answered with a small laugh. “Of course we are working on it.”



“You didn’t do too hot last night,” he reminded them nervously.



“Hey, can we help it you’re boy wouldn’t come out and play,” the other vampire snapped. “We got our asses kicked!”



“Don’t worry,” the blond shot a glare at his companion then returned his attention back to the saggy-skinned demon. “The delivery was made. I’m sure your plan will work this time.”



“I hope so,” Clem sighed giving the two a hopeful grin.





***



“Clem?” Dawn pushed the crypt door open. She could hear the television outside so she didn’t bother knocking. “Clem, are you here?”



She could see the top of the demon’s head just over the back of the chair. “I need to talk to you about Buffy>’



Dawn jumped when Clem jumped from the chair followed closely by the sound of glass shattering on the stone floor. Her brown eyes grew wide when she realized who was standing before her.



“Spike?” she whispered. “You’re back?”



“Hey, Niblet,” he replied with a nervous smile.