Author's Chapter Notes:
If You Were to Wake Up...has been
nominated for Best WIP and Best Fantasy at the 15th Round of the Love’s
Last Glimpse Awards!!


*passes around cake in celebration* Here's a longer chapter for you to enjoy.
Chapter 14

Buffy was careful not to let the door slam once she stepped outside.

“Buffy? Is that you, love?”

“Maybe” she answered, walking across the porch to stand behind William. “I thought you’d be inside by now. Aren’t you cold?” She moved closer to touch his forearms. “Where’s your jacket?”

He turned, looked her up and down, and kissed her forehead. “You’re wearing it.”

“What? Are you serious?”

“I’ve worn that coat for years; in fact, I’m concerned that you didn’t recognize it—hey, hey now, what are you doing? You don’t have to take it off…”

“I thought it was mine. It looked so familiar,” she explained, wrapping the leather jacket around his shoulders. “No wonder it was way too big on me.”

“Buffy,” he began, resisting as she tried to guide his arms through the sleeves, “this isn’t necessary. You need it more than I do. I’ve been working and--.”

“Just put it on.”

“Why? So you can accuse me of allowing you to freeze?”

“No.”

“I don’t know about this. I don’t know what you’re up to, but if I see your teeth chatter even once, or if you bitch about the cold, I’ll have half a mind to turn you over my knee, Summers.”

“Oh, I’d like to see you try. I don’t know what you’ve talked me into over the years, but I will not let you spank me.”

“Not yet.”

“Not ever.”

“Oh, oh!” he chuckled. “Never say never, baby, you’ll just end up eating your words.”

Buffy crossed her arms, not appreciating his line of teasing. “Are you done with the swing set yet? You’ve been out here for hours. We’ve watched Rudolph’s Shiny New Year, we’ve read that farmer book, and The Night Before Christmas; I’ve found the vacuum, and I--.”

“Vacuum? Why’d you need a—what happened? What’d he do?”

“He? Why do you automatically assume it was Jamie?”

“Okay, what’d she do? What did they do?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Nothing.”

“You just decided to vacuum? You?”

“Yeah. I got done bathing the kids and all that, and found myself in domestic overdrive.”

“Liar.”

“Don’t call me a liar--.”

“Liar,” he repeated.

“I promised that I wouldn’t tell, okay? Can’t you just take my word? It wasn’t a big mess.”

“But it was a mess?”

“A mess that has already been cleaned up.”

“Alright. I’ll get the truth out of you later,” he said, turning his back to her. “You should go inside.”

“Are you—you’re mad at me?”

“No, I have work to do.”

“You don’t want me to stay with you? I mean, you don’t want—you don’t want me to keep you company?”

“I’m fine either way, pet.”

“Oh.”

“Buffy, you shouldn’t feel obligated to be out here in the cold.”

“I wouldn’t be cold if you were smart.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Well, think about it,” she said, stepping carefully over and around the colorful plastic pieces to stand in front of him. “I’m cold, therefore you should be a gentleman and warm me up. If you were smart you’d take the opportunity to, well, to hold me.”

“You want me to hold you?”

“Yeah,” she admitted. “I did what you wanted, I changed Joy’s diaper and put kids to bed, shouldn’t I get my prize? I think I deserve it.”

“And your prize would be…”

“I want to spend time with you! Stop trying to finish the swing set tonight! Tell the kids, tell them that Santa had to leave before his elves could put it together—Santa travels to every house in the world in one night for goodness sake!”

“Buffy--.”

“I’ve been watching you and I can guarantee it’ll be easier to put together tomorrow in the sunlight!”

“You’ve been watching me?”

“I’ve been looking out the window…checking up on you.”

“Is that so…” He scratched his brow and glanced down at his project. “It is nearly finished, pet.”

“So what? I want to be with you now.”

“Now?” he asked, a soft smile touching his lips. “When you say you want to be with me, what does that mean, love?”

“Well, it did mean I wanted to have wild and crazy sex, but the longer I have to stand here, the less desirable you become,” she teased, taking a step closer. “It’s gone down quite a few notches, from wild and crazy sex to a lengthy cuddle with some kissing. Keep it up, and you’ll get a pat on the back and a night sleeping on the couch.”

“You’re too much, pet.”

“I’m serious.”

“I know you’re being serious,” he snickered, taking her into his arms, inviting Buffy to nestle against his chest. “Please forgive me. I wasn’t thinking.”

“I forgive you.”

“So,” he paused, inhaling deeply, “why to you smell like Joy’s bottom?”

“Excuse me?”

“Did you douse yourself with her powder?”

“Not by choice—I mean, no.”

“At least it came out of the carpet, yes?”

“Um…” She nodded and brushed off his shirt as she avoided his eyes. “How’d you figure that out? They just didn’t want a timeout, William.”

“Sarah and Jamie?”

“And Joy too, she started it. She wouldn’t sit still; she kicked over the bottle, and—let’s just say we need more baby powder.”

“That was a big bottle, sweet,” he mumbled, sweeping her hair from her neck.

“Now it’s a big empty bottle.”

“Bloody hell…”

“I hated getting after them, but it wasn’t so bad. I had fun. It was like playing house, but only where everything smells, and gets dirty and—okay, it would’ve been a real drag if the kids weren’t so gosh darn cute.”

“They are charming, mmm?”

“Very charming,” she gasped, enjoying the kisses he was dotting along her neck and shoulder. “Adorable.”

“Just like their mother.”

“What about their father?”

“Oh no, the twins? Our Joy? They’re nothing like him. He was a bad, rude man you know.”

“I know,” she said, giving him a lengthy kiss to prove her point. “That’s why I liked him.”

“Knew you always had a thing for bad boys.”

Her arms snaked deeper into his jacket, searching for bare skin to explore. “I’ve always had a thing for you.”

“You just denied it for a bit.”

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.

“It’s alright.”

“Can we, can we please go inside now?”

“Sure, pet, just let me tidy this stuff up.”
***

Buffy couldn’t believe how slow time was passing. She’d left William outside for five minutes, but it felt as if hours had crawled by.

“Just settle down,” she whispered, pacing the area by the backdoor before deciding to head upstairs.

I’m sure he’ll stop by to say goodnight to the kids too, she thought, heading to the bedroom. He’s such a good dad…he’s such a good man.

Biting her lower lip, she contemplated her next move, not knowing if she should change into sexy lingerie or stay fully dressed.

“Or,” she mumbled, “I can always strip now and just pounce on him naked.”

With a happy sigh, she settled on the bed and hugged one of the pillows to her chest.

I’ve never been so nervous…or so eager…or so excited…

She closed her eyes, prepared to wait for as long as it took for William to come to her.
***

“Twenty, twenty, twenty-four hours ago-o. I wanna be sedated. Nothing to do nowhere to go-o. I wanna be--.”

“Please stop.”

“You don’t like the Ramones, pet?”

Buffy shifted, burying her body deeper in the passenger seat of their unmarked patrol car. “I don’t like your singing. And why is it impossible for you to keep up a steady beat?”

William snorted, not taking her insults to heart. He stopped tapping on the steering to pull a flask from his leather jacket. “You and chuckles have a fight?”

“No.”

“You’re acting as if it were so…what’d he do now?”

“He didn’t do anything and if he did, I wouldn’t tell you.”

“Want a drink? It’ll make the time pass by quicker. I doubt Angel’s going to show.”

Buffy eyed the flask, more than tempted to drink away her bad day.

“If you were mine, Summers…”

“What?”

He cleared his throat and twisted off the lid to the silver bottle of alcohol. “If you were mine, I wouldn’t let you leave me upset, and Riley’s a knob for doing so.”

She didn’t speak, watching his Adam’s apple bob as he took three long sips.

“The rest is yours, if you want it,” he said, giving her the flask. “If you were mine…fuck, I’d pick a fight over stupid shit, like you do with me.”

“I don’t--.”

“I know you like the banter, baby.” With a chuckle, he took off his coat and slipped it over her shoulders. “I wouldn’t fight with you for the sake of playful banter, well, not all the time. I’d do it for the makeup sex. I’d keep you in my bed until you forgot what we were scrapping about.”

“I don’t want your jacket. Take it back.”

“No.” He leaned his head back and closed his eyes as if caught up in his daydreams. “I’d treat you right. Riley, he doesn’t understand you like I do.”

“That is not true.”

“I don’t even have to look. The flask is empty, yes?”

“Shut up.”

He snickered and turned his head to give her a boyish grin. “Truth or dare?”

“Go to hell.”

“Sorry, but that’s not an option.”

“I’m not playing.”

“You afraid you’ll reveal something?”

“I’m afraid of what you’ll make me do.”

“Truth or dare?”

“Why can’t I ask you first?”

“I asked you first.”

“Why did they call you Spike in the academy?” Buffy asked, feeling smug once she noticed a change in his eyes.

“How’d you—who told you about that?”

“It isn’t your turn yet.”

“What if I wanted a dare?”

“Okay, I dare you to tell me why they called you Spike.”

“Fuck you, Summers,” he said, sounding more hurt than angry.

“What? You don’t wanna play anymore?”

He lifted the jacket from her shoulders and stepped out of the car. “I’ll be back.”

“You going to go sulk somewhere?”

“I’m going to smoke. You won’t let me do it in the car, will you?” Before she could answer, he slammed the door.

“William—William! Stop being a baby!”

“Maybe you should stop being a bitch!” he yelled back once she caught up with him.

“I have a boyfriend! How else am I supposed to act?!”

“Well, for starters, you could leave him!”

“For you?” Buffy burst out in giggles and just laughed harder as William’s face fell. “If I left him, you’d be the last on my list! I’d never date you!”

“I was wrong; you and Riley do deserve each other.”

He turned on his heel and stomped away again, but this time Buffy watched him go. Once he turned down a dark alley, she finally started to feel remorse.

“William—wait! Wait up!”

The next few minutes blurred together as she charged after him and shoved him into the side of a building.

“Buffy, what the--.”

Not letting him finish his sentence, she captured his mouth.

“Buffy?” he gasped between kisses.

“I'm sorry.”

“It-it's alright.”

“I've been having a bad day.”

“I could tell.”

“You could tell,” she agreed, kissing him lightly. “Can you… Make my day better, William. Please? Help me forget about everything…about him.”

William searched her face, bewildered, but pleased by her actions. “Sure, pet. I'd be happy to.”

***

Buffy woke the moment he kissed her.

“That was sort of neat. Just like from a fairy tale.”

“William?”

“At your service,” he purred, kissing her again. He scooted closer from where he was lying at her side to brush his lips against her brow. “I didn’t wake you from a good dream, did I?”

“Actually you did.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I was dreaming about you…about us.”

“I see…” he trailed off with a laugh, slipping his palm under her shirt to cup her flat stomach. “If I knew you were having one of those dreams, baby… Maybe I should’ve let you be, yes?”

“No. I like this much better.”

“Come closer, tell me more about this dream. Where were we? What were we doing?”

“We were on the job,” she answered, moving to rest her head on his chest. “It was the night of our first kiss. It started with you singing, then it went through us fighting, and I woke me up after, you know, I kinda molested you in the alley.”

“So you missed the part where you grabbed me by the ear, tossed me in the backseat of our car and had your way with me?”

“Uh, yes… Did that really happen?”

“You don’t remember—bloody hell, why do I even bother? What do you remember, love?”

“I can tell you the name of every teacher that I had from kindergarten through most of high school. High school’s kind of tricky, especially since I didn’t go to class very often. I remember what I ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner six years ago on the 22nd of December. I remember the moment we met, I knew—just by the way you looked at me—that my relationship with Riley was in danger.”

“That sod was lucky to have you as long as he did.”

“Did we really…in our car? That quickly?”

“It was a night of firsts.”

“I guess,” she grinned rolling on top of his body. “Of all the things to forget…” Buffy pushed up his shirt and drew her fingers over his muscled stomach. “You must’ve not been very good then.”

“Hold on. Now see here, Summers…”

Not paying too much attention as he defended his manhood, she kissed under his belly button, above the band of his jeans. “Too bad we don’t have the car. I’m sure a reenactment would be very, very helpful. Wait, you didn’t keep it, right? I know some people do that—oh, do we have a mini van? If we have more kids…oh, ew, maybe I shouldn’t bring that up right about now, you think?” She looked up to find William smiling at her. “What?”

“You’re babbling.”

“Sorry.” She gave his stomach another kiss while her eyes never left his face. “I’m nervous.”

“So am I.”

“You hide it well. You’re all cool and collected while I just shake and talk.”

He reached out to caress her cheek. “I want you to be comfortable with me. I want this to be a night you’ll never forget, regardless of what we do, may it be wild and crazy sex or…what’d you suggest earlier?”

“A lengthy cuddle with some kissing.”

“Yeah, let’s start with that, shall we?”
***