Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, everyone. ;) I have good news for you, this story won runner-up for Best Fantasy at Love's Last Glimpse at Round 15!
Chapter 17

Buffy woke to the sound of a delighted baby.

“We really have got to stop meeting this way, sweetie.”

Joy squirmed, hitting Buffy in the forehead with her pudgy arm.

“Well, on the plus side, at least you spared my hair.”

“Ma!”

“What? What'd you say?” With a smile, Buffy scooped Joy into her arms. “Did you say my name? Can you say it again? Can you make it a mom this time? How about mommy? Heck, I’d even take a Buffy--.”

“Gleb!”

“Oh shoot, I could’ve sworn we were getting somewhere with this talking thing…”

“You might want to cut her some slack, love, she is just a baby after all.”

“You're here,” Buffy began, discovering that William had been watching them from a shadowy corner of the bedroom.

“Well, yeah, where else would I be?”

“Wherever you were yesterday when I woke up without you.”

“You're never going to let me live that down.”

“Nope,” she said, tipping her chin to meet his kiss. ”Where are the twins?”

“Downstairs. I let them open their stockings, so they'll be occupied for, well, all of the next five minutes.”

“They shouldn't be on their own for too much longer. I saw all that candy.”

“You're right,” he said, sitting on the edge of the bed. He moved Joy to a safe spot before pulling Buffy forward for a longer, more leisurely kiss. His hands slipped under the blankets, and when they broke apart Buffy let out a happy sigh.

“At times like these, gosh, having kids can be a drag.”

“I could lock them in a closet if you want.”

“Over my dead body…but thanks for the offer,” she added with a smile, kissing the soft skin under his ear. “Go and look after the twins, I'll join you in a minute.”

“Want me to take the baby?”

“No, we have some girl-talking to do. I can't wait to tell her all about our evening.”

“Are you serious?”

“I don't have anyone else to talk to--.”

“You can talk to me.”

“About you? I don't think so.”

“But what good is it going to do, talking to Joy?”

“I know she can't talk back, but—I don't know, it's better than talking to myself or to a plant or to a…a something else.”

William paused, and then his eyes narrowed. “What exactly are you going to tell her?”

“Ah…I’m not answering that.”

“Why not? Is it that bad? What'd I do?”

“I'm—it’s nothing, William. You didn't do anything--.”

“So, that's the problem? What did I not do then?”

“Nothing! I just—there's a reason why it's called girl-talk! You're not a girl, therefore I’m not talking to you!”

“But, Buffy--.”

“My lips are sealed.”

“Are they? I doubt they’ll stay that way for much longer.”

“I’m not telling you anything,” she insisted, turning her head before William could kiss her. “Shouldn’t you be heading downstairs? Go away. Shoo.”

“Go away? Shoo?”

“You heard me.”

“Well…fine. Have your sodding chat then. Talk about me as much as you want.”

“We will.”

Buffy listened to William curse under his breath and could barely stop from giggling before he disappeared into the hallway. “Oh, Joy…it’s hard not to love him, isn’t it?”
***

“Santa brought us a park!”

“A park?”

“It’s in the backyard!” Jamie cried, bouncing as he waited for Buffy and Joy to reach the bottom of the stairs. “Daddy hasta fix it! Santa was running late!”

Buffy’s lips curled into a soft grin, recognizing the story that she’d made up the night before. “You’d better show it to us; I know Joy can’t wait to see it.”

“Okay!” With his fingers clutching Buffy’s pant leg, Jamie escorted them to the backdoor. During the little trip, he talked unstop, naming off every small gift and piece of candy that he found in his stocking. “And there’s even more presents under the tree, mommy!”

“Whatever will you do with all your new toys?”

“Um…I gonna play with them!”

“Oh, I guess that was kind of a--.”

“Stupid question?”

Jamie gasped and looked up, his eyes wide. “Daadddy! Where’d you come from? You scared me!”

“Oh? I’m sorry,” William chuckled, wrapping his arms around Buffy’s waist. “Go eat your cereal, mate. The sooner you finish, and with the less mess that you make, the sooner you’ll get to open all your presents.”

“Bye, mom! I’m going to eat right now, dad!”

“Well, that got rid of him,” Buffy laughed, leaning back against William’s chest.

“Did I scare you too, sweetheart?”

“Not really, I’m getting used to you sneaking up on me. Are you still pouting?”

“I wasn’t pouting.”

“Oh really?”

“I wasn’t—alright, I’m done pouting.”

“I’m happy to hear that,” she replied, sitting Joy on the carpet once she began to wiggle in her arms. “All I could do was brag, you know. I was only disappointed with myself. You weren’t supposed find out that way. When I thought about telling you how I felt… I was hoping for something a little more romantic. I wanted the moment to be romantic and sexy, not crazy and hectic.”

“I didn’t think it was so bad.”

“You must be ridiculously easy to please then.”

“Eh, remember that bit about you calling me your husband? That proved a thing or two about that, didn’t it?”

“Now that, that wasn’t you being easy to please.” He snorted, but before he could speak, Buffy cut him off with a kiss. “That was you being pretty damn wonderful.”

“I guess we’re all entitled to our opinions, but--.”

“No, when it comes to this, your opinion is stupid.”

“Oh, now you’re really starting to act like the Buffy I married.”

“Is this a good thing, or are you telling me that I’m usually mean to you?”

“You don’t mistreat me or anything. It’s all in fun, love. I take whatever you dish out, and I toss it right back. You do the same, but we stop before any feelings can get hurt.”

“That sounds like quite a system.”

“I can’t complain. It’s gotten us this far.”

“And it’ll take us even farther,” she mumbled, suddenly feeling shy. She ran her hand along his cheek before resting her forehead against his. “I should probably get something to eat myself. I’m starving. You really wore me out.”

“Buffy.”

She pulled back to search his face. Her gaze swept from his eyes down to his full lips and then she kissed him. His hands slipped under her sweater and she whimpered softly into his mouth, enjoying the warmth of his palms against her back.

“Buffy…”

“I know…we should stop, but—God, it’s like we’re always out of time! There’s always something else do to!”

“If you want to starve to death, we could always make our way into the laundry room…”

“Shut up,” she said, playfully hitting his chest. “Don’t tease me.”

“Who said I was teasing?”

“Really? Do you think we could—oh, shut up!” Buffy laughed, pushing him away as he snickered. “You’re such a pain, William!”

“Oh, but you love me. You love me so much that you would’ve let me fuck you in the laundry room of all places. Have you seen our laundry room?”

“I would’ve let you make love to me in the laundry room.” She held back a grin, watching his expression change. “But thanks,” she said, patting his back, “you’ve totally ruined the mood and now my mind’s back to my stomach. I think I’ll go raid the fridge before the unwrapping starts.”

On her way to the kitchen, Buffy smiled from ear-to-ear.

“You’re a tease, Summers!”

“I’m just tossing it back, baby!” She sang, opening the refrigerator. “Just tossing it back!”
***