Chapter 10

"We need something that can protect all of us and also protect you from the sun," Buffy said to Spike.

"A van or an RV would be best," Spike replied. He made a turn down a secondary sewer line that would bring them up on the alley behind the Main Street shops. "Do we travel during the day or at night?"

"Night's best for you," Buffy replied. She hoped that they got out of the sewers before Tara's spell to quell the morning sickness ran out.

"Van it is then." Spike nodded. "Harris is meeting us at the dealership. He'll drive it to the hideout."

"I can't believe we're using that place as our hideout." Buffy shook her head. "Bad memories all around, I say."

"That's why no one will think of it, luv." Spike grinned at the mate of his heart. As soon as the threat of Glory was over, he planned on talking to Buffy about doing a true claiming.

"Don't know why we have to stop in L.A.," Buffy grumbled. "You know he's gonna make trouble."

"Only if we let him." Spike wasn't exactly thrilled about seeing Angelus either, but Dawn, Buffy, and the baby were his highest priorities now. There was no way the hell-bitch was hurting his family.

Spike and Buffy stopped at the manhole cover where they planned on going street side. The vampire waited for the Slayer to climb out before he followed. They strolled onto the street as casually as possible.

Buffy glanced over her shoulder. She suddenly felt as if she was being watched. She noticed about half a block back that a vaguely familiar tattoo-faced man was trying to look inconspicuous.

"What's up, luv?"

"We're being tailed by one of those knight dudes," Buffy hissed through a bright smile. "We need to lose him."

"On it," Spike replied with a nod. "Willy's place is just ahead. Maybe we could incite a riot."

"Sounds fun, but I don't want him dead, just occupied." Buffy glanced back over her shoulder again. "He's kinda cute. The girls at the Bronze would eat him up."

"The skanks or the vamps?" Spike asked with a chuckle. A few nights before both kinds of girls had hit on him, and Buffy had forcefully defended her territory with fist and stake.

"Preferably the skanks," Buffy muttered. She linked her arm through Spike's as they walked towards the nightclub. "I hope Xander doesn't get ansty waiting for us."

"Harris will be fine," Spike assured Buffy. "Once we get the van ready, everyone will make their excuses, and we'll hit the road at dusk tomorrow."

Buffy nodded slowly. She had never run from a fight before, and it felt a bit odd. There was more at stake now then ever before. It wasn't just her life on the line this time. Her sister and her baby were in trouble too. Things would be different now. Maybe it was time to start talking to Faith again. Having another back up might be a good idea, no matter how much Buffy dreaded the idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next night Buffy waited impatiently for the Scoobies to start trickling into the mansion. Spike and Dawn stowed the gear in the van. She knew either Willow or Tara would be there first. Both women had gotten their professors to give their finals early. Buffy had been able to do the same thing, and she was surprised that she had passed with flying colors. Having Spike as a boyfriend was really paying off in the education department.

Xander signed up for a two week vacation while Anya had hired one of Clem's half-breed cousins to work the Magic Box in her absence. Giles had signed the entire operation over to the ex-vengeance demon when he left for England.

Tara arrived first. She greeted Buffy before she went about making sure that there were snacks for the drive to Los Angeles. She even made sure they were nutritious because of Buffy's pregnancy.

Xander showed up next. He brought news that the knights interested in the Key were combing downtown looking for a missing member of their sect.

Buffy felt a twinge of guilt, and she wondered about the skank that she and Spike had sent the knight's direction. She just hoped he didn't get a venereal disease or something. Then she shook it off. The knights were after her sister though. That made them just as much her enemy as Glory was.

Willow and Anya showed up within minutes of each other. Neither woman spoke to the other. They were both still a bit upset over the whole troll incident. Although they didn't let Xander know this little fact.

Thirty minutes later, the group had all piled into the van with Spike at the wheel. They were all quiet as they ran from the fight for the first time. There was more at stake this time, and none of the Scoobies regretted the decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We found Wagner, General," Dante informed his commander. "He was lost between the thighs of a woman."

"Wagner always was swayed by sin," General Gregor replied. "What about the Key?"

"The Slayer's house is dark," Dante replied. "Wagner was the one tailing her. We have lost contact with the Slayer."

"This isn't good." The general went to the door. He waved at the mages to join him and Dante.

The mages entered the room. They quickly concentrated on the Slayer, but within minutes the head mage shook his head. "The Slayer is blocked from our sight," the mage said. "It's as if she's not in Sunnydale any more, General."

"What?" the general growled in disapproval. "Dante, have the men check all roads leading away from town. I suspect the Slayer is on the run with the Key."

"Yes, sir. Immediately." Dante saluted. He left to do as General Gregor commanded.

Within hours, Dante was back with a report. He handed a paper to the general as he said, "Two vehicles left town with women fitting the Slayer's description. One was a van, and the other was a recreational vehicle."

The general studied the descriptions of the vehicles and their occupants. He had to decide which one to follow. Soon! The van was fast true, but it seemed that the Slayer had taken her friends with her because the reports said they were missing too.

"The R.V. is the one we'll follow." General Gregor put the paper down. He looked at Dante. "Prepare the troops."

"Right away, Sir."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy yawned as she shifted in her seat. She was so tied all the time. All she wanted to do was cur-l up next to Spike to sleep. Being pregnant sucked, she decided. Physically at least.

"Where's Angel living now?" Dawn asked.

"At some hotel, I think," Buffy replied through another yawn. "I guess he bought it."

"He was really grumpy after that last visit and the whole Faith thing." Dawn looked concerned. "I bet he's gonna freak when we show up."

"He'll just have to deal," Buffy muttered. "It's not like we're staying for long."

"Why are we even stopping to see Deadboy anyway?" Xander asked. He had no desire to see the dark-haired vampire or his ex-girlfriend.

"I want Wesley to confirm Willow's findings while we decide where to go," Buffy said with another yawn. She looked at Spike. "How long will it take for you to get the money that demon owes you?"

"A couple of days at best," Spike assured Buffy. "Razor hangs out at a demon bar in downtown L.A., but he won't have the dosh on him most likely."

"Gotcha." Buffy nodded. "Now, we need to work on our arsenal of distractions."

"Anya could tell a few of her grossest emasculation stories," Dawn suggested.

"Might not work on Peaches," Spike glanced in the rear view mirror.

"Would on Cordelia though," Xander said as he remembered some of Cordelia's reactions to the grosser things they'd encountered in Sunnydale during high school. The nasty bug assassin came to mind.

The group continued to make strategies until Spike parked the van outside of Angel's hotel. They piled out of the vehicle, stretching and yawning as they did.

"There's no lights on," Dawn peered through the courtyard gate at the front of the hotel.

"Maybe they're out on a case," Willow said as optimistically as possible.

"Or asleep." Xander helped Spike with the bags, but even as he uttered the option he secretly hoped that Angel and his crew were not home.

"Angel's not here," Buffy replied. "I can't feel any vamp vibes other than Spike." She pushed the gate open.

"Let's get inside." Willow smiled at Tara. "Buildings are so much easier to do shielding spells on."

"Why's that?" Dawn asked curiously.

"The spell binds with the stone or wood of the building, making it stronger," Tara told the teenager.

The Scoobies trooped into the Hyperion lobby. Buffy found the light switch. Everyone blinked as the bright lights popped on.

"Anybody home?" Buffy called out, but there was no answer. She guessed even the human part of Angel's crew was busy. "Guess not," she said to the Scoobies.

"What now?" Anya asked.

"Well, I guess Spike needs to make contact with the demon who owes him money." Buffy sighed. "After Willow and Tara do their thing, I think we should pick out some rooms and get some rest. I'm totally pooped already."

"Sounds good, pet." Spike sauntered over to the phone. He glanced back at Buffy as she yawned quite loudly. "You looked pooped."

Buffy just stuck her tongue out at the vampire who just smirked in return.

Willow and Tara set up for the shielding spell while Buffy, Dawn, Xander, and Anya went to check on the rooms.