Chapter 9

It had been two weeks since they had buried Joyce Summers. Glory had been eerily quiet in that time. This made the Scoobies a little antsy. They knew from experience that this wait could be the quiet before the storm.

Buffy laid in bed with her stomach churning. She was feeling more than a little off. The smell of some foods -- usually ones she adored -- turned her stomach lately. The Slayer leapt to her feet, and she made a mad dash to the bathroom.

"Excuse me, little sister dressing here," Dawn grumbled as she scrambled to pick up her shirt from the counter.

Buffy gave Dawn a nudge. Then, she promptly dry-heaved into the toilet.

"You're looking pale and green at the same time," Dawn said as helpfully as possible. "I didn't think that was possible."

Buffy gave a grunt before she heaved again.

"You never get sick. Well, except that one time, but you killed that monster while all feverish," Dawn replied. She applied her eye shadow. "Maybe you're pregnant."

Buffy snorted as she stood up. "Vamps shoot blanks, remember?"

"We live on the Hellmouth, remember?" Dawn handed her sister a glass of water. "We've had inviso-girl, a costume whammy, and voice-stealing heart-carving fairy tale creatures." She tapped her index finger to a finger on the other hand for each event she counted off. "Have you missed your period?"

Buffy gave a gulp of dismay, and she sank down to the floor.

"I'll take that as a yes," Dawn chuckled. "Easy way to find out. The drugstore opens in ten minutes."

"Somebody might see you!" Buffy blustered. She was sure her sister was totally and completely wrong. Everyone knew stress could mess up a woman's system. Buffy's life had been extra stressful lately too.

"Us! You think I'm going alone?" Dawn put her hands on her hips. "I'll call Willow, Tara, and Anya. They can go with us. We'll make a day of it."

Buffy groaned. "I'd rather not."

"Get dressed. We're going!" Dawn marched out of the bathroom.

"Bossy!" Buffy dragged herself to her feet. She washed her hands and brushed her teeth.

Within twenty minutes the two Summers sisters set out on foot to the drugstore. Buffy offered to drive, but Dawn was adamant that walking was safer.

At the drugstore, they luckily didn't run into anyone they knew. Both Buffy and Dawn were relieved. No embarrassing questions meant no embarrassing come-back-to-bite-them-in-the-butt lies.

On the way back to Revello Drive, Dawn asked, "Where's Spike?"

"He wanted to meet up with Clem. They're playing poker later," Buffy answered. "They're at the crypt."

"Ah. Cool." Dawn nodded. "Are you gonna ask him to move in? He spends every night with us already."

"I don't know," Buffy shrugged. "My room's kinda small for two people."

"You could use Mom's," Dawn suggested tentatively. She didn't want to upset Buffy with the idea.

"I'm not sure. It's too soon, I think." Buffy looked at Dawn.

"Hmm, the basement's big. We could have Xander finish it." Dawn got a far away look on her face. "A main suite complete with shower and a nursery. Leave a little room for the washer and dryer though. We'll still need clean clothes."

"How would we pay for it?" Buffy asked with a sigh. "Mom's insurance covered her medical expenses, and that's it. We're kinda broke, Dawnie."

"What are we gonna do?" Dawn looked concerned.

"I don't know yet," Buffy sighed. They were back at the house. Buffy let the two of them inside. "Our biggest bill is the payment on the house."

"If you're preggers, we can't really downsize." Dawn opened the bag from the drugstore. She pulled out the tester. "Here. You go pee on the stick. I'll make you some toast."

Buffy grumbled under her breath, but she took the pregnancy tester anyway. She slowly made her way upstairs.

Dawn went into the kitchen, and she rummaged around to find Buffy something to eat. She opened the fridge. "Hmm, yogurt. That'll be good for the baby." Dawn put the container on the counter.

"No coffee. Caffeine is bad." Dawn opened the cabinet. "Oh, herbal tea. Perfect." She put the box on the counter next to the yogurt, and she turned to heat some water.

"Now, how can we make money?" Dawn grabbed a notepad, and she sat at the table. "Let's see... skills. Buffy can pummel demon butt and ... um ... hmmm, pummel demon butt. Maybe sheand Spike could open a self-defense school. 'Spuffy's School of Butt Kicking'. That has a nice ring to it." She looked up when a pale Buffy entered the kitchen.

"I'm pregnant," the Slayer whispered. "How can I be pregnant?" She dropped down in a chair, and she stared off into space.

"Here eat some yogurt." Dawn looked worried when Buffy mechanically did as she was told. Dawn hurried to make the tea before she went to call the other Scooby gals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike and Clem sat in front of the television watching an episode of Passions. They were surprised when several small ugly demons rushed into the crypt.

"Gentlemen! I'm so sorry to intrude, but I wondered if I might beg for a moment of your time?" Jinx, Glory's head minion, said.

"Friends of yours?" Spike asked Clem curiously.

"Not really," Clem was able to say before one of the small demons hit him over the head.

Several more small scaly demons rushed in, and they attacked Spike. They were surprisingly strong. They held Spike down while the first demon hit him over the head.

As he descended into darkness, the vampire heard one of the demons say, "He has to be the Key. The Slayer spends all her time with him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, Buffy's pregnant with Spike's spawn?" Anya said. "Maybe it was the radiation from the meteorite."

"You guys should have used those vamp rubbers after all," Willow commented with a smirk.

"You're all so funny, I forgot to laugh," Buffy muttered.

"Spike said vamps shoot blanks." Willow nibbled on her lip in thought. "Are you sure it's his? You broke up with Riley only a little while ago."

Buffy gave Willow a dirty look. "It wasn't an immaculate conception, Will. I've had a 'time of the month' since Riley left. I'm sure it's not his."

"That only leaves Spike," Dawn replied. "Boy, won't he be surprised."

"You don't think he'll dump me, do you?" Buffy looked worried.

"Come on, Buffy. Spike loves you too much to do that." Dawn put her arm around Buffy's shoulders. "If he didn't dump the ho-bag for cheating, he's not going to dump you for being pregnant with his child."

"We could do a little revealing spell for him if he's reluctant to believe," Willow said. She looked at Tara for confirmation. "He'd have to believe you then."

"That's a good idea," Tara agreed.

Just then there was a loud knock at the front door.

"Can't be Spike," Dawn said. "He just barges right in. Always has." She went to the door where she glanced out the window. "It's a demon." She opened the door.

"Is the Slayer here?" Clem asked the teenager. "Spike's been kidnapped."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We brought you the Key, Oh Magnificent One," Jinx said. He dragged the barely conscious Spike to Glory's feet.

"You have?" Glory pulled the vampire to his feet. She studied him for a moment before she screamed, "This is a vampire, you moron."

"But the Slayer holds this one in the highest regard," Murk protested with a nod.

"The Key can't be a vampire! They're unclean filth!" Glory screamed.

"But the Slayer..." Jinx started to say.

"Yes, the Slayer likes this one." Glory's eyes suddenly took on an evil gleam. "I bet she would exchange the Key for this one."

"You're a barmy bint," Spike snarled weakly. "The Slayer'll never give up the Key for me."

"We'll see about that." Glory poked her finger into Spike's chest. "I think I'll have some fun while Jinx-y boy goes to set up the exchange."

Spike grimaced at the pain. "I doubt the Slayer will take back damaged goods."

"You better hope she does, or I'll just dust you." Glory turned to her two minions. "Go tell the Slayer that I have her vampire."

"Yes, Oh Glorious One." Jinx and Murk bowed low to the ground in front of the Hell-God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm getting really tired of this bitch," Buffy growled. She plopped a crossbow down on the table in front of the Scoobies. "If one more baddie steals my boyfriend, I'm gonna scream."

Willow and Xander chuckled. They both remembered when Spike was the baddie that stole Buffy's boyfriend.

Buffy gave her two oldest friends the evil eye. "Yes, I do see the irony. You don't have to laugh at me."

"Just as long as you do see it." Xander winked.

"We're ready to do the locater spell," Willow said. She studied the map of Sunnydale. "Let's do this!"

A few minutes later, Spike's location had been found. The gang loaded up on weapons, and they headed out the door.

Once outside, they ran into Glory's minions.

"We have your vampire, Slayer," Jinx said. "If you give Glory her Key, she'll give you back the vampire."

Buffy growled. "Kill them!"

The minions let out shrieks of terror when more than one crossbow was leveled on them. They started to back away, but their progress was stopped when the Slayer and her allies let the arrows fly. Murk fell immediately, gurgling his last. Jinx was able to crawl away, but the petite blond warrior caught up with him. The green grass of her yard was the last thing he saw.

"That's why you don't mess with Buffy's boyfriends," Dawn whispered to Clem.

"Let's go!" Buffy marched off in the direction of Glory's penthouse. "Time to rescue Spike."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike groaned in agony. He hoped that Buffy rescued him soon. He was tired of Glory rummaging around his insides.

"Tell me who the Key is." Glory slammed Spike into the wall. "I'll make your death as painless as possible if you do."

"That's what they all say," Spike coughed. "At least Angelus had style, which is more than I can say for a fashion victim with a bad perm and a lopsided arse like you." He coughed again.

"My ass is not lopsided!" Glory's hand encircled Spike's throat.

"I've seen a lot of arses in my unlife," the vampire rasped. "Yours is the most lop-sided I've ever had the misfortune of seein'."

"Take that back!" The Hell-god flung Spike across the room with a scream. His body broke the double doors that led to the hallway.

Spike crawled through the downed doors into the hall. He struggled to his feet. At the far end of the corridor, the elevator dinged. The bruised and battered vampire was sure that it was probably Glory's minions, but he didn't have the energy to extend his senses.

Spike fell to his knees. He watched with relief as Buffy and the Scoobies burst forth from the elevator.

"Dawn and Clem," Buffy's steely voice rang out. "Get Spike on the elevator. Willow, Tara, try that new spell. Anya, Xander, cover me."

"Give me my Key!" Glory burst out of the penthouse in a rage. "I know it's human." Her eyes lit on Tara. "Somebody new to the group, I'm sure."

Willow's eyes blackened. "Don't you look at my girlfriend like that." With a wave of her hand, she tossed the Hell-god back into the apartment. "Try getting home from here." Willow concentrated hard, and Glory vanished.

"Where did you send her this time?" Xander asked with curiosity.

"The bottom of the ocean." Willow's voice was cold and dark.

"Let's get out of here." Buffy led the Scoobies back to the elevator where Dawn and Clem waited with the tortured Spike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're nervous about something, pet," Spike said from his spot on Buffy's bed. He had watched her pace and twist her hands together ever since they got home.

"Yeah, a little." Buffy nodded. She closed her eyes, and she gathered her courage. "We ... you and me. We're having a baby."

"Excuse me?" Spike resisted the urge to put his finger in his ear and wiggle it hard. He was pretty sure he misunderstood or was hallucinating in his pain. Did Buffy just say they were having a baby?

"Surprise?" Buffy waited for the explosion.

Spike suddenly grinned. They were having a baby! He had no idea why he was taking the whole situation so calmly. He was actually excited to hear news that he didn't think was possible for him anymore.

Buffy slowly opened her eyes to find Spike's face twisted into a goofy grin. "You're not mad?" she whispered.

"Never thought I'd ever be a father," Spike whispered. He opened his arms to Buffy, and he winced when she settled next to him.

"You're not even going to ask if it's yours or not?" Buffy carefully touched Spike's hurt face. "I thought for sure that you'd freak out and dump me."

"Buffy, even if the baby was Captain Cardboard's, I'd still love you," Spike whispered into Buffy's ear as he gave it a kiss. "I love any part of you, Buffy Summers. I always will."

"Well, it's not Riley's," Buffy huffed. "Tara checked. I don't know how it happened, but this is your baby."

"We can't stay in Sunnydale, luv." Spike struggled to sit up. "That hell bitch is not going to hurt our family, and you can be sure she'll be right pissed when she figures her way out of the ocean."

"I found it." Willow burst into the bedroom. "If we can hide the Key until after the stars or whatever align, they won't align properly again for centuries." She handed Buffy a book. "It's only a couple of weeks away."

Buffy looked at the book, but she couldn't make heads or tails of what was written there.

"All the more reason to skidaddle out of Sunnyhell." Spike looked at the book over Buffy's shoulder. "Red, you get the Scoobies organized. You can have one bag of belongings each. The Slayer and I will get the transportation."

"We'll raid the blood bank." Buffy handed Willow the book. "Pig's blood isn't good enough to heal Spike."

"Gotcha." Willow nodded before she went to do as Spike suggested.