A/N: Oh, lookie! An update!

Chapter 12: Thirty Above and Welcome Signs


It was a blue convertible. Just like the one in the vision. It sped down the highway, zigzagging in between cars. At the driving wheel was a blonde with short hair, blue-gray eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses. Every once in a while, she drummed her fingers on the wheel or took them off to find a CD in the backseat, eliciting nervous glances from her companions.

Sitting in the passenger’s seat was a brunette trying to look nonchalant to the fact that, though a good driver, every other minute, the blonde looked ready to start a fifteen car pile up or go off the road. She drummed her fingers on the dashboard, bobbing her head to the beat of the song coming from the radio, as if it would slow her heartbeat and calm her down.

In the back seat sat a redhead, reading a novel in the backseat and trying to ignore that the wind was blowing the pages, and her hair, all over. She jumped, terrified, when the car went faster. There was no reason for a car so little to have so much power…

“Do we really have to go this fast? I believe you’re…” she leaned forward, trying to read the speedometer and freezing at what she was. “Thirty above.”

“If you’re not in danger o’dying, you’re not living.” The blonde said, turning to look at the redhead.

The brunette paused in her music session to grab the wheel as the car started to drift out the right lane. “The road, Katherine, the road!”

Katherine turned back, taking the wheel and grinning as they passed the “Welcome to Sunnydale” sign.

*^*


“I think I should learn magic.” Dawn announced as they walked through the graveyard.

Buffy didn’t even turn to look at her sister as she and Spike walked hand-in-hand. “And I think you’re suddenly insane.”

“C’mon, Buffy. It’s just magic.” Dawn complained.

“’Just magic’? I think we’ve learned that it’s addictive.” Buffy retorted.

“I’m not Willow. Or Katherine.”

“I didn’t say you were. All I said was that you weren’t learning magic. I don’t care what new Key-like abilities you suddenly have.”

Dawn pouted as a demon lumbered through the bushes. Buffy attacked it, kicking it in the stomach and following through with a backhand to the chest.

The teenager turned to her brother-in-law, an innocent smile on her face. Or, as far as she could get with her intended question in mind.

Spike saw the look. And he’d become very much able to tell when Dawn was about to beg for him to go do something stupid for her. And most of the time, it involved Buffy and something she’d already said “no” to.

“I don’t think so. No bloody way I’m going to tell her that.”

“Come on, Spike. I really need to learn.” Dawn said with a pleading look on her face.

“And you’re asking me to tell your sister that, of all things, after she already has to deal with you fighting and patrolling. Are you insane, or, are you insane?”

Buffy tossed the demon off her and flipped to her feet, hurriedly embedding one of her stakes into the demon’s chest. It stilled and she turned back to her husband and sister.

“What’s the topic?”

Dawn replied quickly, saying, “Spike thinks it’s okay for me to learn magic.” She raised an eyebrow at her sister smugly.

Spike spun to face her. “You know I didn’t say that.”

The teenager merely crossed her arms, eyebrow still raised as if to say, “Prove it.”

Buffy sighed. It was times like this where she felt like the oldest one here. “Fine, I’ll talk to Willow and Tara tomorrow.” Buffy relented, deciding to nip this in the bud before it got out of hand.

Dawn’s eyes brightened and she grinned. “You’re serious?”

“Yes. Can we get going? I’d like some…me time tonight.” Buffy said, giving Spike a meaningful look out the corner of her eye.

He smirked. “Me, or we, pet?”

“Okay! Mushy couple territory! Back away slowly!” Dawn exclaimed, hands over her ears. Everyday it got worse. And she bet it had to do with not having a moment alone to just have sex and get rid of the married unresolved sexual tension.

Buffy rolled her eyes as they restarted their walk through the cemetery, which was supposed to be patrolling. They settled for a silence.

The slayer’s thoughts strayed to Katherine. To if the blonde demi-god was having fun, wherever she was. And when she was coming back.

“Could be now.” The blonde said, leaning on the gates as the trio neared them.

“Katherine?”

“Yep…that is, unless you’re all hallucinatin’…which would just make you crazy, wouldn’t it?”

*^*


“I’ve got one thing to say, “Stacy Lynn said, picking up her bag and closing the car door behind her.

Gunn gave her a look. “And that would be?”

“Knock me off the bed again and I’ll bite you.”

As much meaning as there was in Stacy Lynn’s voice, it was an empty threat. It had taken three months before Gunn got used to the fact that Stacy Lynn was a demon with no regrets, though she managed to care about him. It took another two months before dating even entered the equation. And another two months before he even entertained the thought of letting her bite him.

“Like that’s new,” he retorted as they entered the hotel. “You’re just-“

Stacy Lynn cut Gunn off, kissing him on the lips, as there was a set of footsteps on the stairs.

Angel saw Gunn in a lip lock with a mysterious woman. He had a small smile on his face as he started to call out to his friend, only for the female to turn to him and smirk.

“Hey, Angel, how’s it going?”

*^*


There’s always these little moments where you think your worst nightmare will come to life. And there it was for Angel, in the form of Gunn’s new girlfriend.

Her smile was bright and streaming of innocence. Anyone would trust a girl with her face. Except, Angel knew better. Mostly because Stacy Lynn was about as creative with the hot pokers as the vampire Spike had hired years ago. A fleeting thought had passed on why Spike hadn’t hired her; she seemed like the type he and Katherine would know.

It was half expected. In other words, Stacy Lynn was poised and ready. She ducked the first punch he aimed her way. Blocked a second. She ducked every advance Angel made, refraining from hitting her boyfriend’s friend. She didn’t need Gunn mad at her again.

A punch caught her in the jaw and she careened back, falling on her knees. She jumped to her feet, raising her face quickly, her eyes an untamed, wild, yellow and her teeth as fangs. And odd smirk was on her face as wisps of hair hung in her face.

“This ought to be fun,” She commented before kicking him in the chest and landing a second high kick to his face. He flew on his back and she folded her arms across her chest.

Angel rose to his feet, demon visible, and lunged at Stacy Lynn, taking them both awkwardly over the couch. Stacy Lynn bucked the soulful vampire off her and rolled to her feet.

Gunn then got involved, grabbing Stacy Lynn around the waist before she could attack Angel. If he’d known she’d get into a fight the first time there, he’d have come alone.

The other three occupants rushed down the stairs in a hurry at all the excitement. They slowed to a stop as Angel’s face returned to his human on and he wiped blood from the corner of his mouth.

Stacy Lynn did so also, examining it and then looking at Angel in appreciation. “You hit less like a girl than before.” She was insulting.

“Who the hell are you?” Angel asked, already annoyed by her presence. For years she’d been this anonymous attacker, annoyance, showing up wherever he was every few decades.

“Stacy Lynn. You might know my sire. He’s about my height, bleached hair, blue eyes…” she trailed off as understanding sparkled in Angel’s eyes. “His name’s Spike.”

*^*


In seconds, Dawn was hugging Katherine tightly.

“Katherine, I’m so glad you’re back! Buffy and Spike can’t go anywhere without making out; Xander and Anya are gonna be parents, but I didn’t tell you because Anya wants to. Willow and Tara might adopt and I totally need a boyfriend.”

“Hi, Dawn; nice t’see you too.” Katherine raised her eyes to the stunned couple and forced herself to smile. “Hey…guys.” That didn’t even sound right to her.

Five months had passed, giving the awkwardness of the situation time to set in. Since she was outside the little love triangle, Dawn was able to observe them as the greeting hung in the air.

For Katherine, it hurt. She could see that much. As far as Dawn knew, Spike was the only guy Katherine had fallen in love with and he was committed to someone else. She was basically the rebound girl. That was it. Sure, Katherine had a chance when Buffy died. But she’d spend forever trying to live up to whatever legacy of an impression Buffy left on Spike. And Katherine didn’t want that. She didn’t want to be second choice, second best.

For Buffy, it was unbelievably uncomfortable. What else could she call it? Eight, nine months ago, they’d been at each other’s throats. Over Spike. Katherine had rubbed her the wrong way, and not just over Spike. In general. She’d pushed feelings Buffy hadn’t wanted to feel to the forefront. Made her think about things, realize things, feel a bit of guilt. And she hadn’t wanted that. She’d fixed everything, made Buffy feel inadequate. She’d helped Tara open up a bit, fixed Willow’s addiction, made Xander and Anya work, helped everyone out in Los Angeles, and had no problem giving up the guy she loved, fixing the wedding, being the maid of honor or catching the bouquet.

For Spike, there was this intense desire to be anywhere but there. Dawn didn’t exactly know why; his face wasn’t giving away any emotions. Usually, Dawn could read his face like an open book, but it seemed to her as if her were purposely hiding what he might really be feeling.

“Katherine, hey.” Buffy said, breaking the long silence. She sensed that no one wanted to be at this dreaded reunion. They needed to let it go, though. Or, at least, try. “Told you you’d be back in five months.”

Katherine smiled a bit, relaxed now that Buffy had broken the ice, chipped it away. “That you did. How’s it been?” She didn’t ask about the married life. One: she didn’t want to know; two: it was kinda obvious after what Dawn said.

“I guess you can say it’s good.” Buffy said.

“That’s great.” Katherine said, excited enough to fool the three. She and Buffy then shared a quick hug and then she and Spike, who relaxed at their friendliness, as he asked her about her vacation.

“Oh. Fun all around,” Katherine said backing away to stand at Dawn’s side, giving the couple space. “Started a riot or two, visited Pylea-“ she rolled her eyes at that one, “ went to France, saw Drusilla and Darla. You know, I didn’t think it was possible, but I managed not to stake them. Saw some old friends in L.A. and nearly got Angel chained to the bottom of the sea.”

Eyebrows rose at that last part. Spike was the first to respond. “Kather-“

Katherine interrupted him. “Long story.”

Just then, a female with long red hair burst through the bushes. The group of four turned their attention her way as she said to Katherine, “I had a vision.”

“Marge?!” an extremely familiar voice yelled as she broke through the bushes. “Where the hell are you go…ing.” She slowed to a stop as she saw her audience, brown eyes wide. “B.”

“Well, if it isn’t she-who-tried-to-kill-my-sister-and-best-friend.” Dawn said, crossing her arms coldly. She was angry. She had to overhear that Faith had tried to kill Spike when he and Katherine were in Los Angeles.

“Looks like the mini grew up,” Faith said, trying to pretend that comment hadn’t cut deep. She felt eyes on her and looked at Spike before looking away. Yeah. Now that she was living and he was living, she felt really guilty. Guilt to her elbows. And that was partially why Katherine forgave her. Maybe the only reason Katherine forgave her.

“Faith.” Buffy said coldly. She moved to hit the younger slayer because she really needed to. She almost killed Spike.

Katherine stepped in her path and Spike grabbed her wrist. She looked at Katherine with confused eyes before spinning to face her husband. “Spike-“

“Buffy-don’t.” Spike looked her in the eyes and she knew that he’d forgiven her. Because of whatever new abilities he had, he had some unknown reason for why he’d forgiven her.

Dawn titled her head, looking at Faith. Her eyes narrowed.

I don’t know why he forgives you, why Katherine does, why Buffy’s not kicking your ass across this cemetery. But I don’t. I don’t, I can’t, I won’t. I can’t and won’t forgive you for what you did. To Buffy, to Spike, to everyone.

Faith looked at her, eyes wide in surprise. When Dawn had added telepathy to scary Dawn things was beyond the dark slayer. But that thought wasn’t half as important as what Dawn said next.

And I don’t think I ever will.

*^*


She ran through the streets, hoping to prolong this as long as she could. To get to someone.

She knew it was coming. The End. And they’d try to stop it, follow it through all the twists and turns. Even through all the backtracking.

She tripped over a jutting piece of cement, stumbling, but continues to run. She heard footsteps from all sides and turned to the left, ducking a dagger that missed her head by mere inches.

She ran.

She knew she had to fulfill her destiny. It was only a matter of time. Death was fate. You weren’t supposed to change fated things. They were meant to happen and that would soon catch up with Katherine.

A robed figure flew at her. She kicked it in the face and ducked a fist. She then made her own and hit the figure. She flew up in the air and double-kicked the figure behind her before flipping over the on in front of her and throwing him to the ground. She reached into the waistband of her flowing skirt and pulled out a dagger, jamming it into the figure’s forehead.

More showed and her fear arose. Two she could take, more she could not.

She turned down and alley and pushed harder as the courtyard to the Hyperion hotel loomed in the distance. She closed her eyes, praying to any God listening for her to make it.

A figure grabbed her from behind and her mind raced to come up with someone to pass the message on to. Someone to tell, warn, to prepare. Someone who would take action, help. Someone who was family.

Stacia, be ready. It has come-

At that precise moment, the figure stabbed her in the chest, being sure to twist it. The unknown female fell to her knees, holding her bleeding wound with death waiting for her as her body fell forward on the ground with a sickening thud, any more of a warning dying in her throat.

*^*


The six walked towards the Summers’ house slowly, an uncomfortable silence hanging around them. Buffy walked to Spike’s left, Dawn at his right, as if to protect him in case Faith should suddenly decide to not feel guilty. Marge, as Faith had called her, watched them with interest.

Katherine was the last to enter the house. The moment she closed the door was the exact moment that Buffy exploded.

“What’s she doing here?” she asked Katherine coldly.

“She’s here to help, Buffy.” Katherine replied. And we need it.

“Who says we need hers?” Dawn asked then, not caring that Faith stood five feet away. Dawn could so take her down.

Faith bit her lip. It didn’t bother her because B was an uptight bitch and Dawn was a little squirt. What they said didn’t matter. Never did, still doesn’t. Faith rubbed at her eye for a moment and then put her hands in her pockets. I won’t cry.

“I do. We don’t have time to argue.” Katherine retorted.

“That’s great.” Buffy muttered. “That; is the world going to end or something?”

“Not yet. But it is a possibility.”

“So, what are we supposed to do until you know for sure?” Dawn butts in.

“Well…I guess we can play ‘catch up.’” Katherine said.

As long as it isn’t “I Never…,” Buffy thought to herself as the group of six settled on the couch.

*^*


Stacy Lynn watched the look on Angel’s face as he realized just who she was. A smirk slowly crossed her face. “No, Angel, what’s with the look?”

“Stace,” Gunn warned, wanting his girlfriend to just drop it.

“Looks…” the vampire continued in Angel’s face, “like…fear. Is that what it is?”

Stace.” Gunn moved forward.

“No-“ Stacy looked at Gunn and back to Angel. “What’s changed, Soul boy? Does knowing that Spike sired me bother you now? ‘Cause if it does, good for you, bastard.”

Gunn yanked Stacy Lynn back as Cordelia asked, “You’re dating a soulless vampire?”

Stacy Lynn pulled her arm away from Gunn, moving into Cordelia’s personal space calmly. “I’m his guide, he’s my warrior. You’ll see what I mean, seer.” She backed away before Angel could lash out at her. “This has been nice, but I think I’ll find where we’re staying and call it a night.” Stacy Lynn turned to walk away, leaving the others to watch her exit.

Stacia, be ready. It has come-

She stumbled suddenly as the desperate warning filled her head. Gunn was already racing towards her as she fell to her knees, taking deep breaths to try and get some of her energy back.

“Stace?” Gunn asked, his voice and face holding concern for her.

She looked up at him, her eyes wide in this strange mixture of awe and horror. Her voice reflected this. “The world is ending.”

A/N: Dumdumdum...