A/N:Thanks for the reviews. Constructive criticism and otherwise. I’d probably start talking about Katherine and defending her character and etc., but as of now, I don’t feel the need to explain any of her actions. Her personality is complex and she’s a complete paradox in herself. Whether you like her, love her or hate her, one thing you have to admit is that I did a damn good job making her realistic. No Mary Sues here. I don’t do ‘em. They irk me and I think that for someone working towards being a writer it’d be an insult.

For the cemetery part, I’d advise imagine what Dawn did with Amanda in Potential. Same theme here.

Anyway, on to the chapter.

Chapter Six: In Your Hands


Halfrek cut the social manners once Katherine was gone. “Well, I must say, the reception was lovely, but I ought to be off. Do vengeance for kids. You know.” Everyone at the table stared at her. “…I’ll just tell Anyanka ‘bye’.” The vengeance demon stood and left the table.

D’Hoffryn then left the table without so much a look in their direction. He and Halfrek shared words with Anya before they both left.

“Rude much?” Buffy commented. The other three nodded.

“I saw you.” Dawn turned to her sister, smiling.

“Saw me what?” Buffy was confused as to what to her sister was talking about.

“You were having the time of your life with Spike on the dance floor.” Willow answered with a smile of her own.

“I wasn’t having the-“ Buffy stopped when Tara, Willow and Dawn looked at her. “time of my life. Spike and I are friends.”

“You’ve done ‘it’. With each other.” Dawn countered.

Buffy decided that she didn’t want to know how Dawn found out. “Very close friends.” Buffy said. “Can we get off the topic now, please?”

“Sure, Buffy. You can tell us when you’re ready.” Tara said comfortingly.

“It’s what she does anyway.” Dawn said.

Buffy was about to reply when Dawn stood. “Oh there’s that guy I met, well not guy, but-it doesn’t matter. TTYL.” She walked away.

Katherine, easier said than done

*^*


For whatever reason that only the Powers knew of, Anya left Katherine in charge of the shop. Katherine herself didn’t know why, but had a feeling it had more to do with knowing Anya longer, and/or being more experienced in magic than Willow or Tara. Not that she was much powerful then them. Just a longer practitioner. But Katherine would be going away in a day, so she’d have to leave the store in Willow’s just as capable hands, if it was okay with the redhead.

Katherine looked in the mirror to make sure her clothes were fine. She wore a blue-gray peasant top with a black tank top under it and a plain pair of black jeans.

Anya had told her to dress presentable and use all her assets to make money. How did Anya tell her? While on her way to the airport. She’d called the blonde and told her that and other things like, “read minds, lie and over price.”

“Kat, get a move on! You’re hogging the bathroom!” Spike yelled, banging on the door.

Katherine opened it and Spike fell forward. She smiled innocently. As if it were even possible. “There ya go, Will.” She moved past him but he grabbed her and pulled her back.

“I have to open the store.” Spike didn’t let go, raising an eyebrow as if to ask why he’d care. “If you make me late and Anya finds out, I’ll tell her you were distractin’ me and she’ll get one of her many demonic friends to castrate you.”

Spike immediately let go of her. “You know how to get rid of a guy, don’t you?”

Katherine smiled. “I’ll see you later at the shop, right? I can take a break, we can hang out, come back here…or just walk around town.” Katherine changed the direction of her sentence, thinking that it might bother Buffy. And then she had to ask herself why the hell she cared what Buffy thought. She wanted it to bother Buffy. That was her new purpose in life. And somehow, despite what she’d told herself, she didn’t want to hurt the Slayer.

Spike raised an eyebrow and looked at her. He was surprised she didn’t go off on the tangent she normally did. He’d have to ask her what she and Buffy talked about and if that had anything to do with her change in attitude. He decided to think on it later, kissing Katherine on the mouth chastely and saying, “I’ll be there.”

“Good.” Katherine’s smile was strained as thoughts ran through her mind of what was with them falling into Victorian England manners. Lack of a conversation about sex, chaste kisses and she’d swear she’d just met him again.

She left the bathroom and the door closed behind her. The shower started and she grabbed her jacket, house keys and the shop keys, and then left the house.

Despite whatever the hell just happened, today is going to be a good day, she vowed.

*^*


At noon, Jonathan came by the shop to thank Katherine for sparing his life. She told him that she did it for The Powers That Be. He told her that if she or anyone else needed help, he was available. As he left the shop, Katherine told him she’d hold him to it.

A half hour later, Willow and Tara came by and they helped Katherine with the customers. Spike showed fifteen minutes later and Katherine asked the two fellow witches to watch the store for a while. With their okays, she and Spike left…

Only to be doing her second idea, walking through the town. She could admit she was enjoying the walk through town with him. She’d never thought walking through a stupid town could be this fun, but then she guessed that it was because Spike was so thoroughly enjoying it.

Spike had seen the town in the day once. But at the time, he’d been busy trying to kill Buffy so it was only means to an end. He wouldn’t say he missed it, because he missed it almost as much as he missed Angelus or his life before Drusilla. He…appreciated it. A lot.

“I think seeing the world again will be fun, don’t you?”

Spike shrugged, more interested in what Buffy was doing. He hadn’t really talked to her at the wedding and she seemed kind of subdued after talking to Katherine. It just brought him back to wonder what they talked about. And it was like she knew neither of the two would tell him, either. “I guess. Won’t be the same though.”

“Yep. Without Dru and Stace, it’s kinda…private, intimate.” Katherine looked at Spike out of the corner of her eye.

Spike didn’t look back at her, smirking as he said, “And who needs that when you can have fun?”

Katherine looked at Spike and nodded slowly, wondering when he got so clueless about her. “Yeah.” She forced a smile on her face, trying not to dwell on it. “Who needs that?”

*^*


Willow smiled to a customer as he left. “Have a nice day and thank you for shopping at the Magic Box.”

Tara smiled at the redhead from behind the counter. “So, shouldn’t Katherine be back by now?”

“Did you see how those two left?” Willow asked as the door opened and Buffy and Dawn entered.

“How who two left?” Dawn asked.

“Spike and Katherine.” Tara came from behind the counter to stand by her girlfriend.

“Three hours is a long time.” Willow added. She and Tara shared and amused look, blushing slightly.

“So…they took a sex break?” Dawn asked sitting at the reading table.

“Dawn!” Buffy exclaimed. Inside, she felt sick. Mental pictures of Katherine and Spike sped through her mind and she blanched. Ew.

“Oh, c’mon. With Anya around, be surprised I just started with the inappropriate comments.” Dawn said, shrugging. “Anyway, I think it’s cute that after maybe centuries of friendship, they can be so…into each other.”

“Yeah. Cute.” Buffy said bitterly. “It’s just so ‘cute’ how they’re on each other practically twenty-four/seven.” She grumbled to herself.

Dawn raised an eyebrow and decided to let it go. Let Buffy stay bitter about not going after what she wanted. Not even realizing that her sister and two friends already knew. That Anya didn’t care one way or the other and that Xander and everyone else would have to get over it. God, I wish she’d just tell Spike. Katherine’d…learn to understand, my sister and friend would be happy. Everything would be okay for a long while.

Spike and Katherine entered the shop, laughing and happy. Buffy inwardly groaned, their happiness like a punch in the stomach. She turned to look anywhere that was away from them.

“Sorry, guys. Got a little caught up.” Katherine apologized to the two witches. The more time she spent with Spike, the more she was thinking about what she was doing here. Why she was there and if this was the way things should be… Stop second-guessing things or you’ll become nervous.

In what? Buffy thought bitterly as she sat down next to Dawn.

Actually, we just walked around town. Katherine half-smiled at the Slayer when she looked up sharply.

“I don’t need you to tell me that.” Buffy whispered.

Really? From your thought, you naturally implied sex. I love him; I’m not half-witted or blind. Don’t insult me.

“Sorry…I guess.” Buffy said.

Katherine nodded. Same here, I guess.

The demi-god turned to Willow. “Red-um, Willow, I need you t’do a favor and watch the shop for at least a week and a half.”

“Why?” Willow asked curiously.

“Oh. A vacation. For Will and I. Australia… France… Italy…. Germany… Mexico…” Katherine trailed off as she thought of the fun she had last time she went to any of those places. She then refocused on the redhead. “You and Tara can watch it, right? I don’t want to force you if you can’t-”

Tara nodded. “Of course. Go. Have fun. See things.”

“Oh! Will there be souvenirs?” Dawn jumped in.

“Sure, Bit.” Spike answered, watching Buffy look uncomfortable.

Katherine nodded in agreement. “One for every city.”

Great, Buffy thought. Now she’s spoiling my sister.

“Of course, “ Katherine paused, “We’re leaving tomorrow at sunset, so I can watch the shop tomorrow. Road tripping is better at night.“

“Yeah, okay.” Willow took Tara’s hand and looked at Buffy. “Um, Buffy, want to go to the Bronze?”

The Slayer nodded, desperately wanting to get out of Katherine’s pitying company. “Bronze.” She turned to Dawn.

Before she could say anything, the teenager said, “It’s okay. I’ll just hang with Kat and Spike. “ Buffy looked at her. “I’m fine. Go.”

Spike watched Buffy the entire time, trying to come up with reasons for her behavior and then gave up as Buffy left with Tara and Willow.

Dawn smiled at the two blondes she was to hang out with. “Wanna patrol?”

*^*


“They’re going on a vacation. Is that like a serious couple thing to do, or is it something weird between them? Because, I’ve had two boyfriends and we’ve never gone on vacations to other countries. Hell, I’ve never even been outside of California.” Buffy ranted as they entered the Bronze.

“Buffy, we came here to loosen up.” Willow said to her friend.

“So…?”

“You’re ranting about Spike and Katherine instead. You’re jealous, I-I get that, but could we hold talking about ‘til later? Y’know, keep it to yourself?”

Willow didn’t mean to sound insensitive, but Buffy hadn’t been all that “let’s eat junk and hate boys all night” when Oz left. She decided to make it up to the blonde later. With cookies and ice cream and chick flicks.

“I-I’m not jealous. It, it just makes no sense!” Buffy continued. Willow raised an eyebrow and Tara smiled and she knew they weren’t buying it. She wasn’t ready for a confrontation about it either. “But, I’ll…keep it to myself for now.” She said as they sat at the usual table.

The table where she first saw Spike with Katherine.

“I’m all for keeping it to myself.”

*^*


“There is something that is much more scarce, something finer far, something rarer than ability. It is the ability to recognize ability.”
-Elber Green Hubbard


*^*


“So, “ Dawn started as they walked through one of the many cemeteries in town, “A vacation?”

“I’ve been here five days and I already need one. Poor Will’s been here for three years.” Katherine answered, keeping an eye out for any vampires or demons.

Sure enough there were some. A vampire was hefting itself out of a grave as three vampires stood, waiting for him. One looked up. “Well, what do we have here? Dinner for our friend.”

“Pssht. Yeah right. I can so kick your ass.” Dawn stated.

“Dawn…” Spike said warningly. “Don’t patronize the hungry vampire.”

“Why-“ Dawn watched three additional vampires join the four already there. “Not.” She smiled nervously. “Oh, well. I was just playing. You can fight my friends, though. They have no problem with that.”

“Dawn, I swear…” Katherine grumbled.

The leader moved towards Dawn and the teenager stepped back into Katherine. “Well, I think I’d rather be fighting you.”

Spike was instantly taken back to when he was trying to cure Drusilla and there were two Slayers. He’d told Buffy that he’d rather be fighting her. And he knew he’d always pick her.

Then why are you with Katherine?

Spike had to ask himself if it was because he wanted to, or to hurt Buffy.

Granted, not everything he did involved Buffy. He liked Katherine as a friend and…maybe a little as whatever the hell they were now. But, Buffy still held him, and this really evil part of him liked that him with Katherine hurt her, bothered her and made her jealous.

Dawn? Are you scared? Katherine asked silently.

“Terrified.” Dawn whispered.

Don’t let them know. You’re growing up to be an adult, right? Almost seventeen? Act like it. Use your instincts.

The demi god took a breath before slightly pushing Dawn forward to fight…and away from stepping on her foot. Dawn shrieked as she caught her balance just before bumping into the vampire.

Spike and Katherine had jumped into action, attacking the vampires quickly, so to be able to help Dawn if she needed it.

Dawn stood in a nervous fighting stance, waiting for the vampire to attack her. He came at her and ducked out of the way, a bit more positive as the vampire turned back towards her. “Instinct. Katherine said instinct.”

Taking Katherine’s advise as her only lifeline, she ducked a fist and lashed out, hitting the vampire across the cheek and barely feeling the contact.

“You know what’s better than instinct? Women’s intuition.” She kicked the vampire between the legs and he doubled over.

She then elbowed him in the back, reaching for the stake in the waistband of her jeans. Another vampire grabbed her and spun her to face him. She brought her knee up to his gut, backing away.

Spike slammed to vampires together, skulls cracking, before staking them. Katherine kicked her vampire in the face twice, staking it. She ran over to Spike to stop him from helping Dawn. “Don’t.”

“Why the bloody hell not?”

“There’s more to her than you know, Will.” She felt bad about throwing Dawn into danger, but she had to. So that she could learn that she didn’t need to be so mollycoddled. And if your life wasn’t at risk at least once in your life, you haven’t lived or fought for anything.

Dawn snapped a branch off a nearby tree. She blocked a punch easily, arcing her right hand to stake the vampire.

She noticed Spike and Katherine watching as she faced the last vampire. It went quickly. He charged at her, ready to take her out when she kicked him in the gut, followed by and uppercut punch in the face and a second punch to the face. Finished by staking him in the heart.

Dawn took a deep breath before racing over to the two blonde immortals. “Did you see that?”

“Yeah. Did okay there, Niblet.”

Dawn smiled at Spike, turning to Katherine. “I can’t believe you pushed me into him!”

No one knows what she can or can’t do, because everyone wants to protect her all the time. But she doesn’t need it that much.

“Well, I had to. You were stepping on my shoe.” Katherine said as they began to walk away.

I’m going to tell Buffy. Katherine said decisively. Let her do with it what she wants.

Huh. I was almost sure you’d do it yourself
.

Katherine smiled. I’ll admit, I felt like that at first, but that’s Buffy’s sister. Who Buffy’s the guardian of. And I don’t need her to think I’m trying to take her sister away from her. Think she’s lost enough.

“I was not!” Dawn exclaimed.

“You were too. I bet I have dirt on my shoes.”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Don’t tell me you’re actually going to have a discussion about this.”

“Only for you, Spike.” Katherine said without thinking, stopping as she realized what she just said. She called him Spike. She’d done that exactly five times in his existence, and every time she was mad.

Spike had a similar look of disbelief on his face as Dawn, oblivious to their reactions, said, “Wow, you haven’t said that your entire visit.”

Katherine shook off the feeling of dread. I’m actually glad, you know. Now they’ll realize and know. She’s not eleven years old anymore.

*^*


Buffy, Willow and Tara came home to find Spike, Dawn and Katherine playing Go Fish in the dining room. The two witches said goodnight and went upstairs, Dawn quickly following them.

“What?” Buffy asked when Katherine continued to look like she had something to say.

“Dawn’s special.” Katherine hinted.

Really straightforward, Katherine.

“I know. The Key.” Buffy sat in the seat Dawn vacated, wishing Katherine would cut to the chase.

“No. Not that.” Katherine sighed. “This isn’t working. Will-“

“Bit’s like a mini-you. With the strength and everything.” Spike cut in just when Katherine was going to ask him to explain.

A mini-her? As in super human strength? Buffy narrowed her eyes. “Um, Katherine, how did you two find out?”

“Patrolling.” Buffy opened her mouth to yell. “She was safe. She took out two vampires on her own. Plus…strength.”

Buffy took a deep shuddering breath and let it out slowly, before laughing. She found it funny. Just days ago she and Katherine hated each other. Now they were apologizing and trying to explain things to each other. Now, she found out that, while she was protecting Dawn, she was really not letting her fight and realize her strength.

Katherine and Spike had expected a lot of things. Yelling, tears, the intense desire to kick them out and find Halfrek, but the laughing wasn’t one of them. The laughing meant she was okay with it.

“Buffy, pet, are you okay?” Spike asked in a concerned voice.

Buffy stopped laughing and Katherine looked away to ignore the tense, UST, need-to-get-a-room now looks passing. She stood up suddenly. “So, we told you. Now we can mosey on home. Call it a night…” She snapped her fingers in front of their faces. “Hey, Hellmouth to Spike and Buffy… We were leaving!”

Buffy snapped out of it first and Spike soon followed. She nodded slowly. “Um, yeah. I’ll talk to Dawn tomorrow. Tell her about the Slayer-like thing.”

“Okay.” Katherine headed for the door, not turning to wait for Spike to catch up with her. She needed to think for a minute. And it was starting to bother her. Having the need to think about the situation five times a day.

She took a deep breath and smiled, turning to face the door where Spike and Buffy were talking a bit. Probably about Dawn. She spoke and he laughed.

See, you can make him laugh if you think about it.

Buffy looked at her as Spike walked away a small smile on her face. She stepped inside and closed the door.

Katherine was sinking. In six days, she’d gotten attached to people she wouldn’t have paid mind to six years ago. The longer she stayed in Sunnydale, the more she lost her mind.

*^*


Monday, Katherine left the keys to the shop with Willow and went home to pack her bag for the trip. It was years since she last traveled with Spike and she was eager to do it again. Only thing missing was Stace and Drusilla. Maybe even Darla. But it’d be fun.

“How about we go see Angelus?” Katherine asked.

“Why would you want to do that? He’s all soulful and even poofier now.” Spike yelled from his own room.

“What if I made him think I was evil?” Katherine asked, already knowing the answer. Spike couldn’t risk an opportunity to needle Angel.

Spike stuck his head in the door. “You evil-“

“Bitch?” Katherine asked sweetly.

Spike laughed. “Only if you promise to make it really believable. And especially fun for me.”