Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to rosie (hey- me neither. I want to see what happens next too! Cause I so don’t know right now…), tis-kit (you know, that bio exam that I have to do doesn’t seem so hard now that I’m looking at it…And thanks for the congrats as well ;), shelly (okey doke- here ya go ;D ), Patty (I’m sure the ending shall surprise us all), and cordykitten (thinking it over, I just wasn’t satisfied… How do you like this ending?)
It was about ten minutes down into the tunnels that Spike realized that he hadn’t made sure that Buffy had taken that nasty, goopy slop that Willow called the anecdote. Had to make sure that Buffy was officially off of the Funny Farm.

“Bugger.” He said tiredly, heading back from the direction from whence he came. He pulled out his pack of mentholated smokes and silver lighter, lighting up a fag with a casual ease that appeared sexy as hell on him. Perhaps that isn’t fair to say, for pretty much everything Spike does looks sexy. Go figure.

On his walk back to the Summers’ home, he pondered the past events of the last few days. He and Buffy just couldn’t seem to stop bumping heads. Sure she was currently insane from a venomous poison, but still… And her betrayal with the wanker. It was just incredibly hard to believe that she could be so gullible. It must’ve been something deep down within her, looking for a way out. Couldn’t handle a real relationship, could she? Hell, maybe it was just me… Yes, deep insecurities had finally reared its ugly head again.

Spike pulled his coat over his head as he made a mad dash to the kitchen back door, rushing inside (of course it was unlocked- they never learn) and slamming it shut behind him. Straightening his jacket, he listened, not hearing any noise really on the main floor or upstairs.

“Buffy, help me!” He heard the whelp yell from the basement. Spike opened up the basement door and headed down the stairs. On the middle step, he could see Willow, bound and gagged on the cold floor.

“Red!” He called out to her, leaping over the stair rail to the floor in a fluid motion, reminiscent of a large jungle cat. As soon as he landed in a crouch position, he took a hard hit to the noggin. Buffy decided to go upside his head with a shovel. She hit him so hard with it, it broke in half. It stunned him, but he was still alert enough to kick her in the midsection, clear across the room.

“Always goin’ for my head.” He muttered, coming up behind the demon (who was about to attack a still bound, but standing Xander) and grabbing him in a headlock. He ran full speed towards the brick wall with the demon still in his grip, stopping short as he released him head first into the wall. It knocked the demon out cold. Before Spike could catch the breath he didn’t need, Buffy grabbed him by the shoulders, and threw him to the ground. She then jumped on top of him, straddling him as punched him hard in the face three times in rapid succession.

“I have to get better.” She said in a monotonous tone, eyes glazed.

“I know I used to be into this kinda thing. But pet, dementia really doesn’t look too good on you.” Buffy grabbed his hair, pulling his head up before slamming it down onto the cement floor. All business, she was. Spike was thoroughly dazed now. He had a headache from hell.

You’re a survivor. You can do this. Buffy heard her mom to say to her. She nodded bravely, grabbing the top half of the broken shovel. She raised it high above her head, the jagged edges aimed directly at Spike’s heart.

“Buffy- what are you doing?” She heard Xander ask, but she didn’t look at him. She couldn’t keep her eyes off of Spike. There was something vaguely familiar about it all… He was laying there, deathly still, and she was ready to stake him, because he wasn’t real, and she had to get better, and—

“Katrina?” Buffy said to herself quietly. She remembered the dream, where she staked Spike, and he turned into Katrina— the girl that Warren killed, and tried to blame on her. He tried to set her up; he tried to make her believe that she was a murderer. But she wasn’t. And now he was trying to make her believe she was insane. Her arm wavered as her hand dropped the makeshift stake to the floor, her hands shaking. She put her hands out in front of her- they were shaking. She had almost killed Spike, her best friends and her sister. Tears began to pour from her eyes.

“Spike?” She whispered to him. His eyes fluttered, and he turned his head, looking at her.

“Buffy?”

“I’m sorry… I didn’t… I’m not well. I’m not…” She trailed off. Spike sat up slowly, Buffy still on his lap. She started looking at her shaking hands again.

“I need help, Spike. I’m all—”

“I know, Buffy. S’alright, now.” He said gently, soothingly, attempting to ignore the pain in his head. He took both of her hands in his and placed them down on the tops of her thighs. He then placed his hands softly on the sides of her face, lifting it up just so, so that she could look at him.

“Sorry.” He whispered to her. He then quickly yanked her head toward his, ramming his forehead into hers, effectively knocking her out. He let his hands slip to her shoulders, and slowly lowered her to the floor. Spike got up, dragging the demon back over to the pillar and re-chained him. Then he walked back over to Buffy and picked her up, carrying her to Xander’s pillar. Once he had effectively tied her to it, he untied Xander before going to help Dawn and Willow.

“How?” Xander asked, stupefied.

“How what?” Spike asked irritably, finished taking off Dawn’s rope before going to Willow.

“Thank god you got here, Spike. Buffy was totally out of her friggin’ mind.” Dawn said, rubbing her wrists gingerly. “It was… scary.” She said softly, looking at her immobile sister.

“Thanks, Spike. But then… you were the one who said he’d make sure she drunk that stuff in the first place.” Willow complained as she attempted to help Spike untie her feet. He batted her hands away, knowing it would go faster if he did it himself.

“Sorry. Was a bit distracted.”

“How, Spike?” Xander asked more firmly, standing behind him. Spike turned once the knots were loose. He stood up and faced the now angry brick layer.

“How what, Harris?”

“How were you able to hit Buffy with no pain?” Spike paused, not sure what to say.

“Well… dire emergency, wasn’t it? Guess uh, guess it didn’t matter.”

“Try again, fang boy. When you first got that chip, you couldn’t even point a fake gun at me. Willow, Dawn, upstairs now.” He said firmly.

“Xander, you’re totally overreacting- he just saved us.” Dawn said.

“And Xander… his chip still works.” Willow said sheepishly.

“What? What are you—”

“The long and short of it? When we resurrected Buffy, she had some slight molecular changes. Like a molecular tan. Just enough difference that it could fool Spike’s chip.” Willow explained.

“Even so, he could still hurt Buffy, Will. Gotta get Tara to do a de-invite spell.”

“What? No!” Dawn objected.

“Blowing things way outta proportion, Xander. I’m not gonna hurt Buffy.” Spike said, body tensed in anger.

“Oh, like how you just didn’t ram your head into hers, knocking her out? If we weren’t here, you’d probably be making yourself a Slayer snack about now, huh?”

“It’s clear you’ve completely lost it. And I’ve had enough of crazy for one day.” Spike said, heading up the stairs. Just as he was about to open the kitchen door, he heard Dawn make it to the top of the stairs.

“And here I thought you were fond of ‘crazy.’ Buffy should be perfect for you now.” Dawn half joked. He turned to look at her.

“Dawnie, the dating of women past twelve on the crazy clock is more than over for me. I truly did appreciate your sister’s sanity.”

“Really hating the use of past tense verbs in your sentences. At least, when it’s in regards to Buffy.” She said solemnly. “When are you going to forgive her?” He gritted his teeth a bit before a look feigning thoughtfulness appeared on his face.

“You know? How about when she finally asks for it? When she shows that she does appreciate me? How about that?” Dawn pouted at his sarcasm.

“That face doesn’t work on me, Nibblet. Give us adults some time, yea?” He said, opening the door.

“Time? Well maybe it’s time the two of you stop acting like babies!” She yelled to his rapidly retreating form. “I swear I’m the most adult one around here. And technically the oldest.” She thought aloud to herself, closing the door.

*******


A/N: Yea, so after “As You Were,” I’ve been writing this story as I go along. I don’t know what’s going to happen next, and I’m terrified at the prospect of disappointing you all… Please let me know how I’m doing, and your opinion of what you would like to see happen next. I’m not making any promises, but as a writer, I am after all, catering to you.

Oh yea- an update to “Here & Now” will be here in the next week…