Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to kim, cordykitten and dihcar.
Author's Note: Is there anyone not liking how I represent the characters, Spike in particular? Dihcar, you mentioned him to be weak. Specifically, how so? You guys let me know, and I'll make changes if necessary. Thanks.

The Initiative

Jonathan Levinson was ecstatic when the Initiative offered him an internship. He finally felt as if he held some type of importance in the world. They valued his opinion and his intelligence. After nineteen years of existing and never truly being noticed, it was refreshing for people to actually acknowledge him as a human being and to ask him questions and respect his opinions. It was pure heaven. Even though his first time in the Initiative was all because of a drunken frat boy (who happened to be one of the soldiers) showed him in on the eve of a party. The guy was put on suspension of course for his recklessness, but once Maggie Walsh checked Jonathan’s background and gave him some tests (of the mental sort), he was a shoe in. She totally let the “gun in the high school” thing slide. Hey, we all make mistakes. He kinda felt bad for the other guy (Dave or something) but was also very grateful for his slip up.

For the past two weeks, he had done some intense studying on demonology and got up close and personal with some of the hostiles. He had always wanted to do this- especially to join up with Buffy and her friends. Sure, that one time with the snake mayor but, it never happened. No regrets. He was happy where he was. But who knew? Maybe he would cross paths again with his high school friends, well, not so much as friends, but maybe since they were now (officially) on the same team, they would maybe become more acquainted in time. Yet, they haven't been around so much on campus the past few days. Maybe one day, he'll be one of those high rankings scientists - respectable and looked up to (metaphorically speaking of course). People beyond the Initiative will take notice of him too. Maybe someday...

**************

Riley was tired. All around he was getting no respect. Running around for Maggie, running around looking for Faith; it was exhausting. He decided to find some relief at one of the local bars. He never thought he would ever result to drinking to solve his problems, but what he soon found out was that it may not have solved them, but eased the pain of it.

Chasing - the story of his life. Chasing for his parents approval, chasing after good grades, chasing for Maggie's good graces, after demons, after Buffy, after Faith, and now finally for relief; for freedom. Now, it could possibly be the alcohol talking, but did it really matter? Maggie's a grown woman, and Faith's a slayer. Surely they could look after themselves. When the hell was someone going to chase after him?

"Hey there. You look about as lonely as I feel about now. Mind some company?" The pretty and leggy brunette asked as she sidled up next to him.

"Sure. Why not?" It's about time he thought.

****************

The sons of bithces wouldn't let up. Faith sat slumped against the wall in the tiny, all white cell for hours, immobile. She figured it had to have been less than three, and so far she hadn't had to use the bathroom. Until about now. Damn. Probably shouldn't have thought about it. She was very much aware of what was going on, but her mind and movements were incredibly sluggish. They kept her on tranquilizers of some sort that refused to put her to sleep. It was incredibly boring and she had nothing but her thoughts to keep her company. She couldn't help but wonder if dear ol' Riley knew where she was, cause if he did, he damn sure better be doing something about it!

Just when her eyelids were finally drooping closed for a quick nap in spite of the slight uncomfortable sensation in her bladder, Maggie decided to give her a visit. Apparently, her capture was no mistake. Surprise, surprise.

"Well, well, Faith my dear. I am quite pleased to have you here. Though I did prefer to study Buffy during her mysterious pregnancy with a most peculiar vampire's child, it was recently that I decided it best to see what would happen during the pregnancy from conception to birth. Therefore, you are to be my new test subject." Faith could feel the once rhythmic pattern of her heart speed up a great deal in her chest. The woman was obviously unstable, even more so than herself. Pain and torture, sure. But to try and knock her up with some vampire's kid was fucking insane!

"Oh, don't worry. We'll take good care of you. After all, you are now a prized patient. Being a Slayer and all. Tomorrow we will test your blood and the like, potency of your ovaries, etcetera. Then we will proceed to mate you with one of our top hostiles." Maggie continued with a particularly evil glint in her eyes. "When I say 'mate', I mean it in the most literal sense. Not only will the vampire claim you, taste your blood, whatever else it is they do, we will then commence the pregnancy the old fashioned way. Give it the old college try, shall we? Oh, not to worry. I know what you're thinking. I would never let it drain you. You wouldn't be of much importance to me as a corpse."

Fuck, that sadistic bitch! She would die before anyone one of them touched her. Better yet, Maggie would die before anyone touched her. Hey, it was all gonna be five by five. She would get out of there before... Where the hell was Riley?!

*****

The Hyperion

"So, major convo with Angel when he- " Buffy stopped as a pained expression bloomed across her face.

"Buffy, you alright?"

"Fine, Cordy. Maybe indigestion or something..." Buffy didn't look so sure. She looked up as Spike came in through the door.

"Hey, success in finding Angel?" Cordy asked, her attention to Buffy thoroughly averted.

"Yea. Said he just, uh, needed to blow off some steam. He should be back soon." He looked at Buffy and sensed something was wrong. She wasn't looking too good.

"Luv, you alright?" He asked with a concerned expression as he walked over to her. Her eyes were rapidly becoming watery. Something was definitely... Oh, god no.

"Cordelia, call an ambulance, quick." Spike commanded as went to Buffy's side. He wasn't sure if Buffy knew, but he was certain he could smell blood.

"Oh god, Spike. It hurts so much. What's happening to me?"

"S'alright, luv. I'll take care of you." Please let them be okay, please let them be okay... he pleaded silently in his head.

******

Xander's Basement

"I can't stand it, Xander! Why do we have to stay in your musty basement? I mean, Giles and Joyce are off in merry old England, Buffy and Spike are in L.A. and the four of us are stuck here. Do you see the problem with this? And, it's been too long since you've given me proper orgasm. A few quickies in the bathroom don't count." Anya ranted as she lounged about in Xander's orange reclining chair.

"Anya, it's not like you have to be here. Nobody knows where your apartment is, or even the fact that you actually have one since you're here all of the time anyway. Besides, Buffy and Spike were in some serious trouble and had to leave." Xander said in a more patient tone than he actually felt. Tara and Willow just watched the interaction between the two with quiet amusement.

"Sorry. It's just that it's white’s day, and the bleach gets to me."

"Xander, honey? Would your guests like some fruit roll ups? I have strawberry!" His mother exclaimed in drunken happiness.

"Ooh! Strawberry is my absolute favorite! Tell her to bring down the snack goodness." Willow said.

"Sure mom!" He yelled back. Maybe Giles and Joyce would come back with good news. But was Anya right? Spike and Buffy were probably living it up in LA while they were all stuck here, bored and restless. Man, he wished he could be there...

*****

"Placenta abruption is when the placenta prematurely pulls away from the wall of the uterus, causing painful, vaginal bleeding..." Spike continued to listen with a heavy heart as the doctor droned on what was happening to Buffy and their unborn child. Wesley and Cordelia came along to offer support, but all they were really doing was driving him insane. Everyone was talking to him like he was some stupid child who didn't understand anything. Hell, he was old enough to be their bloody great- grandfather. He understood all right. As the old saying goes, shit happens. Huh, did it ever.

Why couldn't Dru have warmed him about this? Why didn't the idiot doctors of Sunnyhell warn her, tell her about the possibility of it? But, he guessed no one saw it coming. Everything was always "fine and dandy." He needed a smoke, a drink, a kill, anything to take his mind off it all.

They were really pissing him off now. Idiot doctors. What did they know? They wouldn't let him see her, hold her hand, be by her side, something! He never felt so hopeless in his entire existence. He became accustomed to always taking charge in his unlife; doing things his way; making his own destiny. But then, he thought, what if my past choices was the cause of this? What if Buffy and the baby were somehow being punished for my mistakes? ‘And the child shall pay for the sins of the father.’ What if Buffy blamed him? What if she stopped loving him?

As a vampire, he was never religious. He decided that if he knew nothing of God or the Devil, then why have worries about either? But today, for the first time in nearly one hundred- twenty years, he prayed. To the Powers that Be, to God, to angels, to whoever was listening, to spare his love and their child. He never prayed so hard in his entire existence. With head bowed and hands clasped, he silently cried as he continued to beseech the higher beings for help.

******

She couldn't believe this was happening. After everything she'd been through, they were just going to rip her baby from her body. But it wasn't time! She wasn't due for another two and a half months. But at this point, a cesarean section was absolutely necessary. She was utterly terrified. What if her baby didn't make it? An innocent, little baby who had yet to experience life, taken away so abruptly? How could it happen?

She had literally given her life, her youth for the Powers. Couldn't they cut her some slack? Always sacrifices. It's not fair! She screamed in her mind. Shortly, her baby was going to be taken from her womb. There was no guarantee if it would survive or not. But maybe, maybe it would all be okay. The baby had to have inherited strong genes of some sort, right? But what if it didn't? What if her baby didn't even live long enough to cry, for her to hold it in her arms? Never get to see it open its eyes, first laugh, first steps... What if she was forced to miss it all?

"No, no, nooo!" She cried out unconsciously. She was on the verge of hysterics now. The pain in her belly was now a constant reminder that she could lose the one thing that she loved more than herself; that she wouldn't get the chance to know what it would become. She decided that if she lost her baby, then she was done. No more slaying she thought. She was tired of making sacrifices.