Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks cordykitten :D
Faith was standing alone on the Summer's front porch looking out into the distance when Buffy came outside to join her. She walked up to her and stood silently beside her, noting her demeanor and the way she held her arms protectively against herself. Neither said a word for a long while.

"You do realize the seriousness of our situation I hope. Do you think you can look past our differences to do what needs to get done and not betray me or my friends?" Buffy questioned in a not so friendly tone.

"Yeah, sure B. More than you know..." Faith closed her eyes as she involuntarily remembered.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? Look, you better not double cross us, cause I swear-"

"No. I'm not gonna do that. You don't know how much I want that place burned to the ground, preferably with Maggie Walsh inside of it. I've only got one personal vendetta now, and believe when I say it has nothing to do with you."

"Really? And how's that?"

"Well you know, gotta get my priorities in order." She said with a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"What happened to you there? I mean, I'm almost certain that there was no one else you wanted more to suffer and die than me." Buffy said with genuine interest and curiosity.

"When I came out of the coma, I didn't want you to die. I mean, how can I possibly torment you if you're dead? I was pissed when I found out that the lover boy you tried to kill me over was long gone, but I mainly just wanted your, your uh, existence. I didn't wanna be me." She said, looking Buffy directly in the eyes. Buffy frowned at her in confusion.

"Why would you ever want-"

"Think about it- new face, new body, and I'd still get to keep my slayer strength, well, yours anyway. But then, I thought, with your body came your friends, your family, their trust and faith in you... That was what I always wanted. I didn't want to be alone. When I really think about it, I think that's my main reason why I went to the Mayor, ya know? He became my family. He trusted me, got me the best of things, and he loved me, understood me. I know, that justifies none of the things I've done, but, I'm ready to make amends, starting here, now. Besides, I wouldn't want what happened to me to happen to you, or the kid." She said with genuine sincerity.

"Wouldn't want what to happen?" Faith took an uneasy breath, then focused her attention elsewhere while she explained.

"When Walsh learned of your pregnancy with a vamp, she wanted to see if she could duplicate the effects with me. But not before I was her personal guinea pig. Then she let this vamp in to come and play, with me." She said softly. She closed her eyes again before continuing. Buffy watched on in a stunned silence as compassion entered her heart. Faith may have deserved lots of things to happen to her, but personal violation was wrong, no matter how you cut it.

"I think she mainly did it out of some sort of personal hatred towards me. I don't know why she did, but I could see it in her eyes. She wanted me to hurt. I think she was punishing me, but I- I just could never figure out why and she, I saw her once and she, the bitch was laughing at me. Always had a fucking self satisfied smirk on her face, just for me. I wanted to rip her fucking throat out, I wanted, but I couldn't. I couldn't move. Just thinking; endless thinking. I wanted to die. I wished that he would kill me." Her voice cracked as her eyes finally became over burdened with tears and slowly traveled down her cheeks. She started to rub unconsciously at the puncture wounds on her neck. Buffy, shocking the both of them, held her and stroked her hair in a soothing matter. The kind, placating manner in which Buffy was treating her in caused her to sob. Buffy didn't notice the warm wetness on her own face. She became caught up in her sister slayer's pain. She seemed to have felt every nuance of it.

"I'm sorry that happened to you. That was supposed to have been me, wasn't it?" Faith lifted her head and stepped back as she attempted to compose herself.

"Probably both of us, I don't know. But it doesn't matter now. Tomorrow, we're taking 'em down, right?"

"Yea. I just hope Giles' little spell works."

"I'm sure it will. Besides, the element of surprise will be on our side. And with our two hackers, Warren and Willow, slipping in will be a breeze." She stated as she started to turn around.

"Faith, if you ever need to talk about- I just want you to know that I'm here for you. I know we can't just glaze over the rocky past between us as if it never happened, but it would be nice if we could start fresh. Ya know, after the impending apocalypse." Faith gave her a half smile in response, and went inside.

**************

It was only in uneasy sleep did he ever escape it. Now he was awake again. Riley opened his eyes as the uncontrollable shakes began. They were becoming less frequent now, and he was able to allow his brain to finally focus. When he did, it scared the hell out of him. He woke up in some operating room that appeared to be apart of the Initiative, but he himself had never seen it before. He could have sworn that when he was first coming out of the effects of the drug that he was in some type of cave. He remembered some weird looking half demon half human guy, but now he was nowhere to be seen. Maybe Maggie found him, and locked him up for punishment. Oh god! She had to forgive him! He sat up and looked about frantically. Then, he saw a familiar bleached blond head attached to a body clad in black strapped to an operating table. Spike. He stood up on uneasy legs and slowly walked over to the vampire. Bastard.

Spike heard someone moving about in the room, but he couldn't see them. He heard a heart beat, so he knew it wasn't Adam. What the bloody hell’s goin on? Then, standing right before him was white bread, looking like shit. Great.

"Spike- I should stake you right now." Riley said with venom. Spike merely scoffed.

"Go ahead, soldier boy. See if I care." Riley blinked in confusion, then shook his head to clear the fog from his mind.

"Fine. I will. A disgusting creature like you shouldn't be allowed to live."

"Now, now brother. No need to talk in such ways. After all, soon he will be apart of our family. We must treat each other with respect." Adam said, appearing to have materialized out of nowhere. Riley stumbled backwards in shock.

"What the hell are you?" Riley said.

"I am your brother. I would very much appreciate if we all could get along." Adam said calmly.

"What the hell are you talking about? What family? What are you talking about?" Spike asked, irritation evident in his voice. Obviously the wanker was half way around the bend. Riley decided on not waiting on explanation and attempted to go to the door.

"Stop right there, Riley. Go have a seat while I explain a few things." Riley was shocked when his body stopped without his commanding it to and sat in a chair. The shock and fear was written all over his face.

"How did you- you put a chip in my brain, didn't you? What are you gonna do to me?"

"Actually, the chip is not in your brain, but in your chest. No need in trying to escape. You are now apart of the final phase."

"What's that about a phase now?" Spike said, straining his neck in an attempt to get a better look at what was going on around him.

"No need to worry, Spike. Or shall I call you William the Bloody?" Adam said as he stepped to the side of him, so Spike could see him as he spoke.

"Oh, so you've been reading up on me, have you?"

"I've doing much more than that. I like the way your mind works. You could prove to be a valuable asset to me in the future."

"Really, how's that?"

"First, I shall free you of all your weaknesses, all of your doubts. You, the two of you, will belong to me." Adam said in a monotonous tone.

"Hey, care to say that once more with feeling, mate? Besides, your crackpot plan won't work. If you did all of your reading, then you should know that as far as operations go, I'm inoperable. You can't cut me." Spike said full of self assurance. If he could move his arms, he'd place them grandly behind his head.

"Yes, I anticipated this would put a damper on my plans, which is why I've found a way to remedy the problem." Adam said with a very disturbing grin. Spike looked worried for half a second before resuming his poker face.

"Care to share? Come on now; let's see if you can impress us." Adam walked away to one of the operating tables, picking up a syringe filled with a green liquid.

"You see, I've also been doing research on other creatures, and I've learned quite a bit. You see, in order for you to really belong and to be equal with me and Riley, you must share our same properties. At this point, you don't. Neither of you do. But no need to worry. I shall fix you both, to my liking."

"What do you mean? Fix me how?" Riley said full of fear.

"For you Riley, I shall make you indestructible like me. I already have some choice demon parts for you- a better arm, for instance. Also some mechanical conditions. You'll get a full upgrading. Our Mother, Maggie, wanted it that way."

"She isn't my mother. My mother's back at home, in Iowa with my father. So stop calling her that." He said menacingly.

"It is true; she is not your biological mother. But she did mold you to who you are now. She gave you the chip modifier and she is the one who wanted you in the final plan. Her vision is brilliant, and I shall carry them out for her. As soon as you make a full recovery, I will get to work on you." Riley gulped worriedly in response. There was nothing he could do. His will was no longer his own. Adam walked back towards an incapacitated Spike.

"And as for you, well, you'll be the completion of my little experiment among vampires. You've heard of the Mohra demon, yes?" Spike's eyes widened in shock.

"Oh don't worry, I'm only going to give you enough to start your heart. You have to be equal, Spike. Just like us: equal part demon, human, and machine. Welcome to the family, brother." Adam said, as he plunged the needle into Spike's chest cavity. After a couple of seconds, Spike began to scream in pain.

"Oh, did I fail to mention that I've add a couple of other things to the blood? You see, with just plain blood, the other vampires became completely human. I didn't want that for you. You will be different; unique. Interesting. Very interesting." Well, Dru was right. The master of the tin soldiers came and got me after all Spike thought before passing out from the pain.

*****
Summer's Residence

"Xander, honey! You're back- a helluva lot later than you said you would. Where've you been?" Anya demanded as she bombarded him at the front door. Xander put up his hands as if to say "back off."

"Not now, Ahn. Where's Buffy?"

"Right here, Xand." She announced as she came down the stairs.

"What's up? Where's Spike?" She asked. Andrew not so discreetly looked the other way as Xander hung his head.

"I dunno." He mumbled as he looked at her. Buffy's eyes widened in shock.

"What do you mean you don't know where he is?" Xander nervously began scratching the back of his head.

"Uh, well, ya see, he thought it best if we split up. Though I thoroughly objected, of course. He thought we could cover more area that way."Hhe finished, though he knew it was really for Spike to escape Dweebville. Andrew just seemed to bring that out in a person.

"Yeah, I mean it sounded real efficient and wise, the way he said it anyway. We were just, um, following the leader?" Andrew offered rather meekly.

"Well, maybe, maybe he picked up on a lead or something and'll be back soon." Buffy tried to reason. No one said anything. That is until Anya scoffed rather loudly.

"What?" Buffy asked.

"Well, someone is obviously in denial. Meaning you, Buffy." She said pointedly.

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh, come on! It's plain as day. The little runt Jonathan said that Adam and Maggie had 'plans' for Spike. He was captured when he separated himself from the group, which, I might add, was his own dumb fault. Not that my Xander or the boy could have done anything to really stop it, but, still." Anya said in her matter of fact voice, better known as her normal voice. Buffy knew the ex-vengeance demon was more than likely right. So instead of replying, she walked to the dining room to talk to her mom and Giles.

"Giles, mom, we have a big problem. We've run out of time. Warren, Willow and Jonathan have to get it in gear. We have to take out Adam now." She said, her tone leaving no room for arguments. But Giles was the voice of reason, and ranked over his currently irrational charge. Joyce looked on worriedly.

"Buffy, you know as well as I do we can't go into the Initiative, guns a blazing at this very moment. Mainly because we don't have a gun, of course. What happened?" He asked softly as he observed the worry encroaching upon her face.

"Spike, he- I believe Adam has him. I know he has the ring and all, but I know, I can feel it in my gut, that it won't be enough. It won't be-" The sound of her baby crying stopped her from talking. Just before she dashed up the stairs to retrieve her, Giles stopped her briefly with a reassuring hand.

"We'll leave as soon as possible. Everything will be all right, I promise you." He said with kind eyes. Buffy smiled back at him sadly.

"You know I love it when you lie to me." She turned away from him and went upstairs to her room and took her daughter from her second new crib. She looked into her large, blue eyes. Joy almost seemed to have a troubled look in them.

"You feel it too, don't you sweetheart? I promise you, baby, I'm gonna bring your Daddy home. He'll be here. I swear it." She whispered as she cradled her close to her heart. Joy seemed comforted for a moment before she cried out again. It was time for her to be fed. Buffy kissed her on the forehead.

"He'll be home, I promise." She said again as she headed downstairs to get her a bottle. But as she glanced back down at her, Joy's eyes squeezed closed as she cried out, she could've sworn that for a second her baby's blue eyes were golden...

***************

Sometime later at the secret Initiative lab....

When Spike came to, he had this terrible, pounding headache. A boom- boom, ba- boom that wouldn't go away. Except, it wasn't exactly in his head, as so much as in his ears... his heart. His heart was fucking beating! God, it hurt like hell. After nearly twelve decades of it being still and silent, he wondered if he'd ever get used to it. God, I hope so he thought. Then he heard heavy footfalls enter the room. Adam.

"Ah, Spike. I see you're finally awake. I've been thinking. Your child would make a nice addition to our family. Naturally half demon and half human. Tell me, is it a boy or girl?" He asked.

"I'm not telling you jack, you sod. You stay away from them." He said as threateningly he possibly could. His heart beat was a huge distraction to his senses.

"No, really. I think it would truly be an interesting specimen-"

"She is not an ‘it.’ You talk about her that way again, I swear... bugger." Spike said, accidentally going for the bait.

"A girl? Even better. Perhaps even you and the Slayer could procreate again. A little boy." He said thoughtfully.

"Never'll happen. You won't lay one of your dirty, surgically attached hands on her. So just forget it. And just because you're gonna try to make me physically like you, I will never be on your side." Spike said.

"Ah, but you will brother. I have a chip for you as well. In fact, she's coming now. I can feel it."

"Good on you. Got a bit of prognosticating demon in there, right?" Just then Buffy entered. Her face of determination slightly faltering as she saw her lover strapped to the operating table. She looked at Adam with an extreme coldness in her eyes. She knew she was going to win...

*Once I'm in, barricade the door behind me. Is this place okay to be magic central?" Buffy asked Giles. He looked around before replying.

"It, uh, should do."

"As long as we don't get blowed up or nuthin." Willow said.

"What are the odds of that happening? Besides, we've all got that good ol' Kamikaze spirit, right?" Xander said.

"How long before the ritual kicks in?" Buffy asked Giles.

"Five minutes, give or take."

"I'll move fast then." Buffy said. Faith gave her a reassuring nod.

"Buffy, I still don't like you going in alone."

"I won't be." She said with a reassuring smile. Buffy mentally prepped herself as Faith took guard at the door...*


"Slayer, I've been very much looking forward to your arrival. But let me say first that I'm going to give you a choice: either join us or be killed." Adam said.

"Buffy, what are you doing?! Get the hell out of here!" Spike said in a panic. His heart began to beat so hard that it felt like it would pop out of his chest at any second. Buffy ignored his stricken outburst and replied to Adam instead.

"Sorry, but I don't jump through hoops on command. I've never really been one to toe the line."

"Death it is, then." Adam said with a steely glare as he advanced upon her. So the fight began as...

* "By the power of the Slayer and all who wield it. Last to ancient first, we invoke thee. Grant us thy domain and primal strength. Accept us and the powers we possess. Make us mind and heart and spirit joined. Let the hand encompass us. Do thy will..." Willow chanted. *

Buffy was quick on her feet, but Adam's blows were by far stronger. She dodged as much as she could, and attempted to kick him away in the midsection. But of course, the battle couldn't deter her love of banter.

"Fun, isn't it?" She asked as she ducked another on of his blows. Adam, beginning to get bored, let out his retractable demon blade from his arm. Buffy grabbed it and quickly broke the sharp weapon off.

"Broke your arm." She taunted...

* "Spiritus... spirit." Willow said as she placed down a card.

"Animus... the heart." Xander followed.

"Sophus, the mind." Giles said.

"And manus... the hand. We enjoin that we may inhabit the vessel. The hand... daughter of Sineya- First of the ones. We implore thee, admit us..." *


Adam then grabbed Buffy's wrist and jerked her to him. He then placed one massive hand on the side of her face and then the other. He gave her head a quick jerk to the right, relishing in the satisfying crack. Spike's screams of terror could be heard resonating throughout the room. Riley sat still and looked straight ahead.

"Huh, broke your neck." Adam said as he dropped the lifeless slayer to the floor.

* "Bring us to the vessel. Take us now..." Willow finished. *