Author's Chapter Notes:
Please don't hate me, it's necessary! Thanks for the reviews.
Buffy woke with the unfamiliar sensation of safety. Spike had held on to her all night and even now his arms were around her waist, pulling her close to him. She had never woken with anyone this close to her before, Angel had needed his space and to be honest neither of the others had stayed that long. She was slowly becoming more aware and remembered exactly what had happened last night, what she had done and as she lay there she waited for the guilt to come. It never did though. She should feel guilty this was Spike! Angel’s brother! I just slept with my husband’s brother. She thought, she was trying very hard to feel some guilt, but she found she couldn’t, no guilt and no regret, what ever would be would be.

Sure they had no future, but honestly at this moment, with his arms around her, she couldn’t bring herself to care. She loved him and the pain could wait.

“You awake luv?” he asked, his voice husky with sleep, pulling her out of her thoughts.

Rolling over in his arms so that she was facing him, she smiled and kissed him gently. Speaking directly onto his lips, “Yeah, but I gotta go check on Katie, it’s about time for her to get up.”

He pulled her closer, kissing her hard, pulling her on top of him. Buffy enjoyed the sensations for a long moment before she broke free, and got up from the bed. Looking around, she spotted his robe and pulled it on, causing Spike to protest.

“Spike!” she scolded, trying to stop herself from laughing, “I refuse to give the neighbours a free show, just because you want to see me walk around naked!”

She left the room and walked across the hallway into the bedroom she shared with her daughter, her smile was still firmly in place and she wondered if maybe they could work something out. At least it would be a while yet before she had to leave.

At first her mind couldn’t process what she was seeing. She looked into the cot; her mind unable to accept what her eyes were telling her, Katie wasn’t there. She must have got out of her cot, she thought suddenly, climbed out. Yes, her daughter had woken up and gotten tired of waiting for her mom, so she had climbed out and was now hiding from her.

She wasn’t panicking, it was all very logical the door was closed, so she couldn’t have gotten out. She started searching the room, looking under the bed and the cot, in the wardrobes. Her searching was starting to get more frantic and her mind was offering her different scenarios. Spike had already taken her down for breakfast. But Spike would have said something, maybe she had done it herself, she had gotten out the room and made her way downstairs to get her own breakfast.

No that was also a ridiculous idea, she was too young to even get the door open, but whilst that idea was ridiculous, the truth was unthinkable. Katie was gone.

“Spike!” she screamed, “Spike please!” this cry was quieter but tinged with desperation. Spike would know were Katie was, he had to.

Hearing her scream, Spike ran out of his room to join the blonde across the hall, naked he grabbed her as she started to fall to the floor. “What is it? Buffy! Where is Katie?”

“Gone! Spike she’s gone!” she yelled at him. He had almost as much trouble with the concept as Buffy, but knew that it wouldn’t do any good for him to fall apart. He stood there holding Buffy to him tightly, allowing the frantic mother to cry and shout into his chest as her hands beat on his shoulders.

As he held her his eyes examined the room, looking for some idea for what had happened. It was then that he saw them, the muddy footprints leading from the window to the cot. Someone had stolen Katie. He clenched his fists tightly, trying to keep control. They needed to call the police, needed to get Katie back and they needed to kill the bastard that had done this. If Buffy had been looking in his eyes at that moment she would have been terrified. There was deadly resolve there, along with a great deal of anger. No matter what happened, the man who had done this would not see the sun set on the day Spike found out his identity.

Reigning himself in tighter he spoke to the sobbing woman, “Buffy, luv we have to call the police. I’m going to throw some clothes on. We will get her back. I promise you luv.”

She looked up at him, her hazel eyes filled with sorrow and confusion and nodded slowly. She walked to the wardrobe and pulled out a t shirt and a pair of jeans, which she slipped on, not bothering with any underwear.

Spike went back across the hall, pulling on his own clothes and opening his wardrobe door. Feeling inside for the hidden shelf at the top, he pulled out his gun, something he had hoped he wouldn’t have to do until he left. Tucking it behind his back he allowed his shirt to fall over it, disguising it from view. He walked with purpose, collecting Buffy from the bedroom where she had sat on the bed and was softly stroking a stuffed pig that had fallen out of Katie’s cot.

The pair went downstairs, Spike sat Buffy down on the sofa, still with the pig in her hands and moved to the phone. Realising quickly that there was no dial tone, he pulled the wire out of the plant pot and reconnected it. He couldn’t stop himself from smiling as he realised that it must have been the little bit, monster she was. Then he remembered the reason he needed the phone and blinked back tears.

Buffy listened to Spike without hearing the words. She was looking at Mr Gordo; he had been her toy, one that she had given to Katie when she was born. Her little baby, Angel hadn’t been there when she was born, she had been alone. He had apologised when he collected his wife and daughter from the hospital. She had forgiven him and gone on forgiving him, until she didn’t have anything left. But still he was Katie’s father.

Spike returned to her side with a mug of sweet tea. “The police are on their way. Drink this,” he ordered, the look of loss in her eyes was cutting him like a knife.

“Spike. We have to call Angel,” she said, taking a sip of the hot drink.

He sat beside her and closed his eyes tightly. She was right; he knew she was right but… But what? He asked himself silently, it’s not like he doesn’t deserve to know, he is her father. Shaking his head slightly he bit the bullet. “Yeah, did you want me to do it?”

“No. I need to speak to him.” She placed the stuffed toy on the arm of the seat before getting up to go to the phone.

Angel’s cell phone was switched off and she couldn’t leave a message. Staring at the phone, she wondered what to do next, she couldn’t leave a message, what the hell would she say? Thinking quickly she phoned a number that was almost as familiar to her as Angel’s, thankfully he answered.

“Gunn, it’s Buffy.”

“God Buffy, we’ve been trying to get hold of you!” Gunn exclaimed.

“I need to get hold of Angel. Are you with him?”

“No. He’s on a plane to Sunnydale; he should be there very soon. Are you alright?”

The concern in his voice made her cry again. “It’s Katie. Someone has taken Katie.” She sobbed into the phone. Spike came over and hugged her and she let him support her as she listened to her husband’s partner.

“Shit! It’s that fucker, Buffy. The one that trapped Angel. I’m on the next flight; I promise you we will get her back.”

Buffy thanked him and put the phone down, struggling to make sense of what she had been told. “Angel’s coming, that’s why his phone is off. He’s on a flight right now.”

Spike nodded and pulled Buffy closer to him, his eyes far away.