Author's Chapter Notes:
Next one is the last one folks. Please review and let me know what you think.
Angel came to slowly, wincing at the pain that felt like something had dug their teeth into his head. He gingerly opened his eyes wondering where the hell he was and found himself looking at a plain white wall. He was finding it hard to focus, blinking, he realised that he could hear crying and sat up and turned his head far too fast. His vision turned black again and his stomach rebelled expelling its contents onto the floor in front of him.

He didn’t pass out though and he sat for a couple of minutes with his eyes closed, breathing slowly through his mouth until he felt a little better. This time when he opened his eyes he looked directly into Katie’s and his memories came back in a wave. They needed to get out of here, but first he needed to stand up. Slowly staggering to his feet, he put a hand to his head, grimacing as sharp pain pulsed through his body and his stomach clenched, making him gag. Looking at his own blood on his hand made him realise how important it was for him to get Katie out of here now.

Katie was crying but not screaming anymore. She was terrified because the air was getting thicker with smoke and it was hard for her to breathe. Angel picked her up and sat her on his hip. Struggling to keep his balance, he slowly walked to the door. The fire had spread quickly and they had been very lucky that it hadn’t reached the room they were in, he realised as he walked past the flames in the next room. The heat was oppressive and they were both coughing and struggling for air by the time they reached the landing and then there were the stairs. All they needed was to get down the stairs. The smoke hadn’t reached the bottom of the warehouse and they would be able to breathe easily.

But there is no way I can walk down those stairs without dropping her, he thought to himself despairingly. He struggled to think past the pounding of his head and the rolling of his stomach. He set his daughter down on the floor and was sick over the protective railing. Feeling the blood trickle down his neck as he bent over, he knew he really needed to get down the stairs before he became even more light-headed.

Looking at Katie sitting on the floor he had a flash of inspiration. He sat next to her on the floor and pulled her onto his lap. Scooting along using his heels, he reached the top step. Carefully wrapping both arms around his daughter, he very slowly and with great care, bumped himself down the stairs. It occurred to him about half way down that he must look ridiculous and he laughed out loud unable to help himself. Katie looked round at him with trust and love shining in her eyes; she kissed him and giggled along with her father.

That small action by his daughter gave Angel the strength to carry on and get to the bottom of the stairs.

******************************************************************************

Buffy was furious. Gunn was having a stand up shouting match with the fireman in charge, who was refusing to allow anyone into the warehouse.

“My partner is in there with his daughter!” he exclaimed angrily. “Do you really expect me not to go in there and get him?”

The fireman was ruddy faced and from his eyebrows it was clear that he was red headed, with the fiery nature that was often associated with that colouring. “The fire started up the top of the building, the ceiling is going to collapse very soon. Nobody is going in there!” he shouted back.

Calming slightly, he said with more compassion, “Look, I realise how you feel and if I wasn’t convinced that you would die along with him, I would let you in there.”

Watching the fight, she wondered exactly who was watching her, looking around she realised that the paramedics were currently checking their equipment and that the firemen were busy watching the FBI agents to prevent any attempts to be heroic.

She bolted, running directly at the door Angel had entered and jerking it open. There was a cry of alarm from behind her as a number of the firemen saw her actions and gave chase. It wasn’t necessary though as the moment she opened the door Angel staggered out.

“Angel!” she exclaimed in shock looking with concern at his pallor.

Katie immediately reached out for her mother and as Buffy took her daughter Angel collapsed. The paramedics took him to a safe distance and started work on him; while Buffy hovered nervously. Their daughter was held protectively in her arms, whilst another paramedic placed an oxygen mask on the little girl and checked her over as best she could when Buffy wouldn’t let her go.

She spoke to the mother in gentle tones, “We need to get the little one to the hospital, get her checked out. It looks like she’s only had a little smoke inhalation, but to be safe…”

Buffy nodded. “We can go with Angel?” she asked.

“No problem. If you want to take a seat up there, I’ll make sure you go together.”

Smiling at the woman gratefully, she climbed up and took a seat in the ambulance.

******************************************************************************

Just as Buffy took her seat the building collapsed with an almighty crash, falling in on itself, dust and smoke mushrooming above the building, before settling to burn. The firemen finally went to work, now being able to reach the flames with their hoses.

The noise pulled Angel out of the dark place and he opened his eyes, not sure where he was he gazed down the street. There was no pain, but there wasn’t any other feelings either, he was numb and that explains why when he saw a familiar figure waving at him a smile on their face, he felt no anger, confusion or fear. He tried to raise his arm to wave back and simply said, muffled by the oxygen mask, “Hello Dru. That was some hit you gave me.”

Noticing that he had regained consciousness, the paramedics quickly wheeled him into the ambulance and sped away, taking the little family to the hospital.

******************************************************************************

Spike watched the hustle and bustle from his hiding place across the street, after what he had done, it would be a lot simpler if very few people saw him. He watched with a heavy heart as Buffy hovered around Angel, worried about him and never once looked round to see where he had gone. He realised that he was being irrational, but he couldn’t help it. He also knew that if Buffy and Angel could try again, he couldn’t stand in their way.

His phone jerked him out of his morbid thoughts. Pulling it from his pocket and flipping it open, he answered his eyes on Buffy and Katie sitting in the ambulance and being joined by Angel.

“Hello.”

“The operation has been moved up. We need you.” the voice said flatly.

“I’ll be on the next flight.” he answered, his eyes following the ambulance taking Buffy and the little bit out of his life.

Unfortunately the position did not allow him to see the figure of his psychotic ex-wife waving at his brother. Nor did he hear the words she spoke especially for him. “Well wasn’t that fun my prince? Maybe we could do it again sometime.”