Author's Chapter Notes:
First of all thanks so much for all your feedback on this story, especially the last chapter, I was really worried it was too much. I'll try to answer all the reviews in the next day or two, but I don't think it'll be tonight like I normally would since I'm sick- have been for the last week.
I had planned to post this chapter on Thursday night but didn't get that far. Several of you have made comments about how often I post so I'll let you all know when it will be normally- Sunday nights between 9pm-midnight (ET).
That being said I wanted to let all of you know that there might or might not be a post next weekend due to this cold I haven't written ahead, that I start back to work next week (school starts) and my middle son's birthday next weekend as well. Keep your fingers crossed, I might get an hour squeezed out somewhere to write, but I can't promise a chappy next week and I wanted to let you all know a head of time. Okay so now on to what you wanna read. ;-P


Okay, here’s a recap for all of you who didn’t want to read the last chapter due to its graphic details.

- Spike comforts Buffy while she tells him about what has happened to her since he left. How she moved to LA and started her modeling career. How she’d met Gwen, her sister in law when she went for an interview at the Finn Modeling Agency, she was VP in charge of hiring new talent at the time. The two of them became good friends. Buffy’s career started taking off and she moved in to a new apartment with friends from the agency- Faith and Fred. Buffy got a contract with Victoria Secrets and Faith got one with Calvin Klein so Gwen decided to throw them and the other models that had made it big a party at the Finn’s mansion.
- They partied and when Gwen and Faith went off leaving Buffy by herself Riley showed up. At first he was charming but it didn’t last long as soon as he got her alone, he raped her repeatedly. The next morning Buffy called Gwen and Faith, they came, brought cloths and then took her home. Gwen went after Riley for what he did to Buffy but got badly beaten herself.
- Riley stalked Buffy after that. Buffy found out she was pregnant with his child even thought she was on birth control at the time. For the first time in her life she was going to do something she never dreamed of doing- she was going to get an abortion. But somehow Riley found out before she could and stopped her.
- Riley’s mother, Julie Finn forced Buffy in to marrying Riley to save the family name. He abused her almost daily, made her quit her job as a model and locked her away in an apartment allowing no one to speak to her. Only letting her out for Dr’s appointments.
- After seeing the ultrasound of their daughter, Riley pushed Buffy down a flight of stairs causing her to have a miscarriage.
- Spike’s heart breaks at all that she’s been through and he wishes he’d never left so none of it would have happened to begin with.

See, I told you it wasn’t pretty last chapter, hopefully there’s someone reading this, I didn’t mean for it to be so horrible but somehow it was, sorry about that. I promise this next chapter won’t be like that. It’s fluffy. ^_^



Spike ached for her, she’d been though so much in just a few years. The things she’d described that Riley had done to her were unimaginable. How could she have been though all that and still be as strong as he knew she was? He couldn’t even fathom it.

Most people would be so broken that they’d have given up by now, but not his Buffy. No, she was still so strong. She left that man for good; even admitting that the bastard would come after them, she’d left, wanting to start over again.

How could he tell her even more nightmarish things about her abuser after all she’d told him. He couldn’t bring himself to do it, at least not tonight. Maybe tomorrow or the day after that he would, but she’d been though enough just reliving the loss of losing not one, but two children at the hands of the wanker.

Spike tried to convince her to stop after she told him about the first one but she didn’t seem to hear him, that or her need to tell him everything was too great. Either way, she told him everything the prick had done to her over their almost seven years of marriage.

She’d cried most of the time. Held on to him like he was the only anchor keeping her from slipping back into that dark ugly world she’d just escaped from.

Several times during her terrifying tale he’d cried as well, wishing he’d never left her to begin with and feeling guilty that she’d had to suffer so needlessly. Thinking if he had been here with her this never would have happened.

It was close to midnight and they had both been though a lot, Buffy more than him but still the late hour and stress of the day were taking their toll on him.

“Luv,” he said softly his cheek resting on top of her silly hair. “There’s things I need to tell you, but they can wait till later… well, most of them can anyways. Just know I won’t let him hurt you, never again.”

Buffy lifted her head from where it rested on Spike’s chest, “You can’t promise that, especially not now that you know what he’s capable of.”

“Yes, Buffy I can. Do you remember why I left for New York in the first place?” he asked gently, tracing the curves of her tear stained face. Even now, as badly as she looked and felt, she was the most beautiful woman in the world to him.

She nodded, leaning in to his touch. “You said you had a calling to help people. People that were lost or missing.”

Will nodded and smiled back at her. “Yeah, princess. I did… do. I went to the police academy in Albany when I first left, didn’t know why at first, but I felt I had to. There I met a bloke by the name of Lindsey MacDonald. We became mates after a while, when we got out we both got assigned to the city doing grunt work for the forensic lab down there because we were good at finding and gathering clues.

“After a bit of time they started noticing we had a knack for putting the pieces together faster and better than most of the top teams in the lab, particularly when things were a bit off. Gave us right shit for it too, I might add. Calling us freaks and whatnot... didn’t bother us though, but the higher ups stepped in and put a stop to that right quick they did, especially when they needed us.

“They sent us for more training and whatnot, then soon we were the team ta call when things were… unusual. We solved hundreds of cases, most of them deal with the paranormal and the supernatural.” Spike held his breath waiting for her to tell him that stuff wasn’t real or that he was crazy, like most women did. But she didn’t she just laid there on top of him her head resting on his chest waiting for him to continue.

Letting out a sigh of relief, he went on. “Then Lindsey got a call from the LAPD wanting him to come out and set up a special crimes unit dealing with “special cases” as they called it. He accepted it, wanted me to go with him but I just couldn’t. I didn’t feel right leaving New York unprotected when all the spooks were still running around, so I stayed.”

He sighed, thinking now that maybe he should have taken the job offer. Maybe if he had he could have stopped Riley from hurting Buffy.

She looked up and smiled up at him. “That sounds like you. Always thinking with your heart, not your head,” she teased, running her hand over his heart.

In school he’d gotten into more trouble that way. It was good to know that her Spike was still react first, think later kinda person. If she’d had any doubt about it, today proved it most of all.

He chuckled, loving to see her smile again, it warmed his heart. “Well, what can I say? Never was one for thinking things through, now was I?”

“Nope, and that’s one of the things I love about you.” Leaning up, she gave him a gentle kiss.

Spike’s heart seemed to stop beating. He couldn’t believe his ears. Had she just said ‘that was one thing she loves him,’ present tense, not past? Oh dear god, please let it be true, his heart screamed.

But the logical part of his brain took over before his heart could tell her the million and one feelings that were racing thought him at that very moment.

So instead of proclaiming his undying love for her like he wanted to, he leaned down and kissed her forehead before continuing on with that he’d been saying. He’d have time to tell her all the rest later, but for now he wanted to tell her the basics of who and what he’d become after he left; then they could turn in for the night.

“Anyways, after he left I got partnered with another bloke. Went though several of them as a matter of fact. None of them were as good as Lindsey.

“One night about five years ago, my partner, Doyle, and I were tracing down a few leads. We were getting close too, when the perp shot him right in the back of the head. I didn’t know what to do. I wanted ta stay with him, but I knew he was already dead by the time he hit the ground. So I took off after the punk, he shot me in the leg and got away.”

“Oh, Will I’m so sorry…” she whispered, hugging him tightly.

He was amazed that after all she’d been though she was comforting him over losing his partner and getting a flesh wound. ‘This woman was bleeding amazing…’

“I was fine in a few weeks, but telling Doyle’s wife was hard. They’d only been married a couple of years. After that, though, I left the force. Couldn’t stomach having a partner after that, but I couldn’t just give up everything, either. I’d seen too much, knew about things that most others didn’t. I didn’t feel right leaving all those innocent people out there unprotected, so I started a detective agency.

“It was small in the beginning. I was the one and only employee, but I took freelance work for the NYPD especially if it was paranormal or suspected to be. As the business grew I hired a few others, a secretary first and then two other detectives who were former cops. The others take the more normal cases, leaving me to deal with the ones that are a bit off, but I don’t mind. It’s a good living and I get ta help others.”

“I’m glad things worked out so well for you, Spike. You deserve so much,” she said, trying to hide her yawn.

But it was no use; he saw it. “Well you deserve just as much, luv, but for right now I think it’s about time we turned in for the night, it’s getting late… later,” he said, glancing at his watch which read one-thirty. “You take the bed and I’ll just sleep out here on the couch.”


Buffy bit her bottom lip as she looked up at him. She didn’t know how to tell him she didn’t want to sleep in there all alone. She’d actually been hoping she’d fall asleep right where they were, stretched out on the couch laying side by side as she curled up against him. It reminded her so much of the way they used to be… she’d hoped that maybe things could be like that again.

But maybe she was reading too much into things; maybe he’d only rescued her because it was his job, his calling in life. Maybe he didn’t still love her the way she loved him…
Or maybe he did still love her and he wanted to take things slow… she didn’t know.

All she knew was she didn’t want to be alone tonight but she didn’t dare ask. Instead she merely nodded before whispering her thanks and gave him a goodnight kiss on his soft, sensual lips before heading into the bedroom.


Spike laid there totally at a loss after she left. The look of longing he’d seen on her face gripped his heart. And the kiss… god, it set his body on fire. He wanted so badly to go in there and just gather his little broken princess up in his arms and keep her there forever. The only thing that stopped him was fear—the fear of unknowingly hurting her.

Tbc…