Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay I know I'm late- really late, not updating for two weeks had bummed me out but RL sucks (read living hell) for the last couple of weeks. I'm really hoping it will calm down cause I miss writing, damnit!

Anyways I hope this chapter makes up for it. It's a bit longer than the last few have been and even though it doesn't cover much time a lot of thing happen in it... well sorta, you'll see what I mean.

Also I want to thank each and everyone of you who is still reading this, I can't tell you how much it means to me. *hugs to one and all* and a special note of thanks to a dear friend, VamptasticA , who has been with me though thick and thin and who also has the daunting task of beta'ing for me. LOL

Last note I promise- Other warning not listed below- hint of fem-slash but nothing more than implied sex.
Okay now on to the fic finally....



Spike had listened to Buffy toss and turn for a long time. When she finally had settled and he started to doze off himself, her nightmares started. She whimpered in her sleep several times, but every time he went to check on her she was sound a sleep.

So he’d tiptoed back out to the couch and once again tried to get some sleep. It must have happened half a dozen times over the next hour or two. The last time Buffy had actually cried out so loud she’d woken herself up. When Spike had gone in that time he’d ended up staying, she’d finally admitted to him she needed him to stay with her. That had been hours ago…

He’d soothed her to sleep murmuring words of comfort, as he held her closely in his arms. He was beyond tired himself, but he just couldn’t bring himself to drift off, not quiet yet. He wanted to hold her a little while longer while she slept.

Afraid that if he closed his eyes, she’d be nothing but a dream and when he woke she’d be gone… she’d slip though his fingers and be lost forever. He couldn’t let that happen… not now, not ever. He had to find a way to keep her right here in his arms forever- where she belonged.

William’s eyes started to droop as the last forty-eight plus hours with little or no sleep finally caught up with him. Unable to fight any longer, he pulled his sleeping girl even closer, tucking her head under his chin and whispered, “Love you, princess. Never gonna let anything else happen to you, promise ya that.” Then drifted off for this first good nights sound sleep in a very long time.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Gwen, baby?” a very sleepy Faith asked tying her robe tightly around her waist as she made her way out into living room of their apartment. “What are you doing up so early?”

Gwen pulled her in and gave her a quiet kiss before answering. “I’m sorry love didn’t mean to wake you up. I had a few things to do today.”

Rubbing her eyes Faith finally got a good look at what her partner was doing on the laptop. As Gwen worked Faith watched as she attached file after file to an email addressed to her father, the LAPD, Sunnydale PD, as well the California state troopers, “Umm baby, what are you doing?”

The slightly older female stopped and turned to younger one and sighed, “You know I have a meeting with Wes again this morning right? Well, what I didn’t tell you was what it’s about….Last night I went to his office and had him draw up divorce papers for Buffy and before I give them to her I’m going to have Riley sign them.”

Faith gasped, “What? Are you crazy, he’ll never sign them! He’s more likely to kill you on the spot for even suggesting that. Good God, Gwen what are you thinking?” She was truly terrified.

She remembered the day she’d gone to get Gwen after Riley had raped Buffy. Her lover had been so beaten up that she didn’t think she’d make it, and now… now she wanted to do something even more stupid?

Gwen saw the look in her girlfriend’s eyes, taking her hands in her she stood before pulling her in to a tight embraces. “Baby, I’ll be alright. I promise. He won’t hurt me, won’t even touch me with what I have on him.”

Pulling back she motioned to the laptop sitting on top of the coffee table. “I’ve taken pictures of everything he’s done to Buffy over the years. Every bruise, bump, scrap, broken bone- everything. It’s all on that computer. I even took them of me the day he attacked me. I wanted proof so that bastard couldn’t do it again.

“I started putting it all together the last time she was in the hospital. I’d taken a few pictures in the beginning hoping that it would be enough, but I’d forgot about them until I was going though one boxes when we moved here. Some are only Polaroids, but some aren’t. I even got a hold of the detective that first handled her case in Los Angeles and convinced him to email me copies of the photos of the first “accidents” she had. With all I’ve got here. Riley wouldn’t dare not sign the divorce papers.”

“How are you so sure he’ll sign them and not just hurt you… or try to kill you like he promised?”

“Because this is my insurance policy. I tell him if I’m not back in an hour, unharmed, then you’ll send these emails out with the same photos that are on the disk he’ll have. I’ve already got a copy of all the photos on a disk for him to prove I’m not bluffing when I say it too. Gonna print out a copy of the draft email even.”

“I don’t know about this, Gwen…” Faith said worrying her lower lip.

“Don’t worry baby, I’ll be fine.” pulling her lover against once again, she kissed her softly before giving her a gentle shove towards the bedroom. “Give me a minute to finish up here and I’ll be right in, okay?” she said giving her a soft seductive smile and wiggled her brow.

Faith couldn’t help but smile back at her, even though she wanted to tell Gwen the million and one reasons why she shouldn’t go she made her way back to their bedroom. She knew her lover well enough to know she wasn’t about to change her mind, especially when it came to something she’d set her mind to.

And saving Buffy was defiantly something Gwen had set her mind too a long time ago. Faith’s only hope now was convincing her to take someone along with her just incase things didn’t go the way she’d planned.

~*~*~*~

Riley paced back and forth in the small confines of the apartment living room like a wild animal. He’d returned home just after midnight expecting Buffy to be home sound asleep in the bed but she wasn’t. In fact she was nowhere to be found. The apartment was completely empty; most of her things were gone as well.

He snarled pushing the send button on his cell phone trying once again to get a hold of her; he knew it was futile but his demon refused to let her get away. He would get her back and when he did she’d play dearly for it.

Just like all the other times he’d tried thought the night, the phone rang and rang only to go to voice mail once again. He growled deeply wanting to kill something, his beast was too close to the surface; he couldn’t control himself when he got like this. It was a good thing he’d left Sara and the penthouse before he’d gone in search of his sleazy little tramp of a wife, if he hadn’t who knows what he would have done to her or his child.

It was the first time in over twenty years he’d actually successfully produced a worthy offspring, he wasn’t about to let anything happen to him. That was why right now he had someone guarding Sara and his son while he took care of something he should have a long time ago.

Reaching the far end of the room again he snarled, “Where are you, you little whore? You can’t hide from me forever, bitch. I will find you!”

Just then his phone rang, glancing down at the display he smirked. ‘Ahh… so you finally decided return my calls?’ he thought.

“Where the fuck are you?” Riley barked answering it.

“Well if you must know I’m laying here in my bed with Faith, we just had the most….” Gwen’s sweet and oh so sarcastic remark was cut off by an ungodly ear piercing scream on the other end of the phone.

When Riley spoke again it was more an animalistic growl that anything else, “Where. Is. She?”

Gwen swallowed, maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to bait and cage such a wild beast. But it was too late now, she, along with Spike and Buffy had already set things in motion, it was too late to stop now.

“She left, for good this time. Don’t bother looking for her, you won’t find her.” Taking a deep breath for courage then proceeded onward telling him when and where to meet him to sign the divorce papers.

She wanted to meet in a very public place if anything happened she had a better chance of surviving with others around, besides Riley was more likely to control his beast in public.

“I need you to meet me at the café down the block and across the street from the agency at ten-thirty to sign a few things. Know this, if you don’t I’ll send all the proof the authorities need to arrest you for domestic abuse. And before you get cocky and think I won’t go check your email, I’ve already sent you a sample of what I’ve got.” With that Gwen clicked her phone shut and tossed it on the table beside the bed.

Getting up she went to take a shower and head out to see Wes, it was going to a very long and nerve racking day for all of them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Buffy woke to the feeling of a pair of strong arms wrapped tightly around her from behind; she tensed forgetting where she was or who she was with for a moment. That was until the room came in to focus more and her sleep addled brain remembered all that had happened the night before.

Spike had been so sweet, he’d held her and told her everything would be alright even if she knew differently, it was nice every once in a while to believe in happily ever after. Even if it was for only a little while she wanted it to be true. She wanted for them to be together safe far away from Riley, where he’d never find them.

She had no idea what lay ahead of them, where they’d go or what they’d have to do to get away from Riley. Spike said he’d take care of her, but would he? Could he? He might think he knew what her husband was like but he didn’t. Even with his paranormal background she doubted he’d ever come across anything like what Riley was… whatever that might be.

But she wasn’t going to think about that right now… No, right then at that very moment she was going to let herself believe in the fairytale, even if it was for only a little while. After all didn’t she deserve a little happiness? She thought so….

Closing her eyes Buffy pulled the warm, loving arms that encased her, a little closer to her as she snuggled back against his welcoming body that she seemed to fit so perfectly against. Then she hugged his arms to her, idly running her fingers over the tiny hairs and let herself dream….

Dreaming of a future where she saw herself smiling and laughing as the two of them walked hand in hand. Spike pulled her close and kissed her passionately every few steps and when he’d pull back he’d tell her how happy he was. How much he loved her. How beautiful she was… and then he’d place his hand on her descended belly and say the same to their child.

God, what she wouldn’t give for her dream to come true. That’s all she’d ever wanted in her whole life….



Spike lay quietly, spooning Buffy as she drew random pattern on his forearm. He’d woken the moment she’d started to stir but once she relaxed and snuggled back against him he wasn’t about to move, even if it killed him the way her bottom was wiggling against his very hard cock. He’d endure it a million times over if it meant he could have her in his arms like this forever.

Taking a deep breath he inhaled her scent trying to commit to memory everything about her once again. The softness of her skin, the way her hair looked in the morning, the feel of her tiny hands on him. All of it, everything… he wanted to make this moment last for all eternity. He wanted to shut out the rest of world forever.
He was so lost in thought that he almost missed her whispered words, “I wish….” Then she shook her head as if to dispel what ever thought she had, “No, if it’s meant to be it’ll happen.” She said with a soft sigh.

William debated with himself for a moment on if he should ask or not but in the end his curiosity got the better of him. “What ya wish for, luv?” he murmured placing a gentle kiss against the back of her head.

“Oh… I didn’t. I didn’t mean to wake you.” She said softly, “I was just thinking out loud really…”

“It’s alright, been up for a bit, just didn’t want to let you go quiet yet.” He told as she turned in his arm slightly so she could see him better. Brushing a strand out of her face he tried again, “Now what was that wish, princess?”

Buffy closed her eyes and leaned in to his touch as his fingers tucked the wayward strand behind her ear. “It’s nothing, really. I was just daydreaming about….the future.”

When she didn’t embellish any father he asked gently hoping she’d feel safe enough to confide in him, “And what exactly were they about?”

Buffy was quiet for a few moments unsure what she should tell him. In her heart she wanted to tell him everything- all her hope and dreams for a future for the two of them, but her head was telling her it was too soon. That she didn’t know if he still felt the same way about her that she felt about him. If she told him would he be happy or would he run as fast as he could in the opposite direction?

So instead of telling him she decided to ask a question of her own, “Did you mean what you said last night…? Would you do anything to keep me safe?” She paused for a moment to take a breath and gather her courage before saying the last part. When she asked it came out no more than the barest whisper, “Do you still love me?”

Spike stared at her for a few seconds; he thought she’d been asleep when he’d told her that. Nodding, “I do, Buffy. I meant every word. I’ve never stopped loving you, not for a second.”

They stared in to each others eyes as Spike lowered his lips to hers, giving her a soft yet passionate kiss. Pulling back he cupped her face in his hand, his thumb lightly stroking up and down against her cheek. “Ya have no idea how hard it was for me ta leave ya that day,” he whispered. “If I could do it all over again, I wouldn’t have left… would have taken ya with me- something.

“God Buffy, when I saw you the other day my heart stopped. All I’ve been able to think since then is you.”

Crushing her to him he hugged her and kissed her again. With his eyes closed he pressed his lips to her forehead and whispered the next part, even though he didn’t want to hear it if she didn’t but he had to give her a choice. “Tell me if ya don’t still feel the same way I do… I’ll still help ya get away but….I need ta know, pet.”

Watery hazel eyes met sparking blue ones as Buffy’s lower lip started to tremble, “Oh god, I love you, Will. Love you so much… I was worried you didn’t love me. That you were doing this just because you felt you needed to… I thought was reading more into this then there was…. that you didn’t want a future for us and that’s what I was daydreaming about- us. Our future. A house far away from here and I was pregnant and we were happy and… and,” her hysterical babble was cut off by Spike’s lips crushing hers.

His heart soared knowing Buffy wanted him just as much as he wanted her and she’d wanted a family with him.

Tbc….