Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all of you that have read and reviewed. Your kind words and encouragement have helped me more than you know. Especailly on this fic. ~*~

Also no violence in this chapter, just a slight mention. Other than this it's angsty and fluffy. ; ) ~*~

Still only beta'd by me, I take all the blame.
Willow finally got a hold of Buffy just one day before she left for Sunnydale. It took some convincing but in the end she’d gotten her to agree to come to the reunion; that is if she could find a way to get out of the house without Riley going buzerk on her that was.

All Buffy had been thinking about had been seeing her friends again since she’d gotten the letter to begin with. She didn’t even care if Riley had found it the next day and she’d gotten beaten again for it. To her it didn’t matter anymore, if he was going to hit her he’d find a reason that’s just the way he was.

Her goal right at the moment was to get though the next two days without having him leave any visible marks that would show for the reunion. That, find a dress she could afford that looked good and convincing Gwen to cover for her. The last part was easy, the brunette was one of the only close friends she had these days. If it hadn’t been for her and Faith she didn’t know how she would have survived the last few years. She knew Gwen would cover for her.

Applying the final touch up over her slightly yellow bruise on jaw line she said a silent prayer that Riley would still be passed out after last nights drinking binge.

Walking though the door she thanked the powers that be for answering her and headed out for work. It was a short drive to work granted but it was a peaceful one. She’d gotten out of the house without a fight, or even waking him. In fact when she pulled in to the diner she even had a few minutes to spare. Most days she was lucky if she even got there relatively close to on time, without at least one new bruise.

‘It must be my lucky day,’ she thought walking though the front door of the diner. Smiling and waving to all the regular customers, that were more like family than anything else to her, she headed back to hang up her things and punch in.

Momma Rose, the owner and surrogate mother of all that worked there was in back whipping up some of her famous Texas Chili. “Honey child, slow down. Nothing’s on fire, is it?”

Buffy smiled at the woman in her mid- fifties, “No, Rosey, everything’s fine.”

“Then got right over her and give Momma a hug, girl. I haven’t seen you in over a week,” the short, slightly over weight woman said holding out her arms to her.

Buffy hung up her coat then give her a hug. It was good to see Momma again. She swore the woman could make a bad day good in no time. She didn’t know how she did it but somehow, someway she did.

Pulling back from the bear hug Momma frowned. Reaching up she turn Buffy’s face to her so she get a better look of Buffy’s healing face. “That bastard hit you again, didn’t he?” she cursed.

The petite blond pulled back slightly, shaking her head, “Um… no… no.. it wasn’t his fault. I forgot to take out the garbage. It was late when I remembered and I fell down the stair.” Buffy said automatically falling into the usual lies she told to cover up what really happened in the Finn household.

If anyone really knew what happened there it would all be over for Riley. And for her, because he wouldn’t let her live if anyone found out the sick twisted games he used her for.

The elder women arched her brow at her, “Ya honestly think I’m gonna fall for that one? It’s the oldest one in the book for battered wives. I’ve used it a few times myself, back in the day.”

Buffy sighed knowing she shouldn’t have tried to hide anything for her. Momma was a master of seeing though the smoke and mirrors. “Oh alright. Yes, he hit me, but I did forget to take out the trash like I said.”

Rosey shook her head, “There isn’t a good enough excuse in the world for him to lay a hand on you, child. And you know it. Seriously, I think you should really consider getting out of there. The last time he was this bad for something ridicules like the trash you almost ended up in the hospital.”

Buffy lowered her head with a soft sigh, “I remember. But I can’t leave. I don’t have any money to get myself a place. Beside even if I did he’d just hunt me down. Then what?” she sighed again. “The last time I tried to leave he promised that I wouldn’t have to worry about being in the hospital next time. I’d be dead. And he means it, Rosey. He truly does.” She said nibbling on her lower lip in worry.

Rosey shook her head in discuss, Riley Finn had to be the world worst asshole, even compared to her own miserable ex-husband and that was quiet a feet considering how bad he was. She vowed to herself that she’d find a way to get Buffy out of there, she just had to.

It was killing her to see the young girl she’d grown to love like a daughter be so violently abused all the time. Buffy never told her all that her husband did to her but she didn’t need to. The look in her eyes was the same one she’d seen many times before in her own when she looked in the mirror years before.

Pulling her in for one last tight hug before letting her go, Rosey tried to sooth her, “Don’t even think about it, child. We won’t let that happen. I promise you that.”

“Thanks…”Giving the older woman a weak smile she stepped way and started getting ready for work. Glancing at the clock she added, “Guess I better get out there before Giles has a cow.”

That made her laugh, for one thing the short order cook was ever patient with Buffy and all the girl, no matter how much noise he made. Like Rosey, Giles had in a way adopted all the poor souls that had made there was to their diner.

~*~

For the most part the evening had been as it always was- Her usual customers coming in for dinner, and the teenagers coming after school on their way home.

She’d even seen the little girl that reminded her so much of herself when she was younger again- the one that made her heart ache every time she saw her. But Buffy couldn’t think about her any more she told herself, she had work to do as she cleared the table they’d been sitting at.

Out of the corner of her eyes she saw another customer take a booth on the opposite side just a few away. “I’ll be right with you,” she said as the gentleman sat facing away from her.

“Mmmm…mmm...mmmm,” Gwen commented checking out the new guy that was sitting her in friends section.

Faith craned her neck trying to get a better look at his long, lean legs incased in black denim, “Damn… why can’t we ever get ones that looked like that?”

“Cuz they can tell you’d jump their bones in a heart beat?” Buffy smirked as she set the dirty dishes in the dish pan.

“Very funny, B. But honestly why is it you always get the hotties? It’s not like you even appreciate what’s in front of you.” The tall brunette pouted leaning against the counter with her arms crossed over her chest.

She shrugged. She really didn’t know why she always seemed to get the cute guys in her section no matter where she was working. It wasn’t like she was going out of her way or anything. And most of the time she didn’t even dare look at them for fear Riley or one of his friends would come in and say she was flirting with him.

That was the last thing that Buffy needed was Riley to think that she was interested in someone else. He’d kill her for sure, she just knew it.

“You know Buff, if you want to take a break I’ll take this one for you?” the other brunette said still eyeing the blonde.

Shaking her head Buffy headed back toward her section, “Thanks, Gwen but I think I can handle it. Besides wouldn’t want either of you doing something to embarrassing yourself now would we?” With that she headed off to wait on him.

All she could see of the guy the girls were drooling over was his blonde head with his dark root. The rest of his face was hidden behind the menu.

“Welcome to Rosey’s Diner, I’m Buf….” She trailed off as he lowered the menu and she got a good look at him for the first time. Blinking she tried to make her brain register who she was seeing. It couldn’t be….

“Spike?” she whispered still not believing her eyes.

At the same time he stared at her, disbelief clearly written on his face as well, “Buffy?” he questioned.

TBC…