Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all of you who have review and sent so many warm wished to me. It mean so much to me, really thanks. Also I want to thank to very some really dear friends of mine who have helped me so much in the last nine months. Tis, Vamps and Shannon- I love you. Thanks for keeping me sane even when I'm not. *hugs* You guys are the best.
A/n2-still only beta'd by me. Sorry if I missed anything.
Seconds seemed like hours to the two of them as they stared at one another. It’d been eight long years since they’d seen each other but neither of them had changed much.

Sure Buffy looked a bit thinner, paler and held an over all air of sadness to her. But other than that she looked like the girl he’d left in LA to follow her dreams while he went off to New York.

“You work here?” he finally said, trying to puzzle out all the feeling that assaulted his senses- surprised, confusion, nervous, longing and joy to see his former lover once again.

“I… ahh…” she stammered before taking a breath and letting it out slowly. “Yeah, I do.” Buffy said softly, feeling her cheeks heat.

Of all people to have show up in her diner! Oh how she wanted to crawl under the nearest table and just hide. But yet at the same time she couldn’t stop staring at him.

To her, he hadn’t changes a bit since she saw him last. In fact if anything he’d become even more attractive. Yet that wasn’t what held her attention. No, what did that was the lost look in his eyes. It was the same one she saw on him the day she’d drove him to the airport.

“Can I get you something to drink?” she said realizing she’d been silent too long. ‘Stay focused, concentrate on work. Don’t think about how much you want to jump in his arms and stay there forever,’ she chided herself.

Like she wanted to do on the day he’d left. If only she’d spoken her mind and told him she couldn’t live without him. But she didn’t and he left and… For all she knew he had a girlfriend. Hell, he could have a wife and kids by now for all she knew…

That thought lanced the deepest part of her heart. Did he have a wife and kids…? Did he have their life; the one they’d always joked about with someone else?

Gods she hoped not. She knew it was unfair of her to think that was but she did. She couldn’t bare it if he did. She knew she’d married Riley but that was different, she never wanted to. She’d been practically forced in to it by his parents- his mother.

She’d give anything to be able to go back and change things. She’d had gone off with Spike and never even met Riley Finn in the first place.

“Coffee, luv,” he said still staring a bit wide eyes at her.

“Oh, yeah. Right. Coffee, coming right up.” She said coming out of her trance realizing he’d said something. With a deep breath she turned and headed to the counter.

Buffy’s hands shook as she poured the coffee, as the two brunettes descended on her. “So what’s the scoop on him, huh?” Faith prodded. “Didn’t see no wedding band or anything?”

“Not like that would’ve stopped you if there was,” Gwen snorted and muttered teasingly, looking pointedly at the other brunette.

Buffy pasted on a not so convincing smile. “Don’t know. Didn’t get all the goods with the beverage order,” she snarked, trying not to let them see how much an affect he’d had on her with that little bit of contact.

Gods how was she suppose to make it though the rest of his order if just that little bit of conversation had her heart racing and her mind spinning?

Not to mention what would happen if Riley found out that she’d seen him here. She knew that he wouldn’t care anything about the truth. No he’d just use it as another excuse to hit her, like he always did.

“Damn B, you’re shaking,” Faith commented helping her return the pot without spilling. She and her lover exchanged a look then glances over at the male in question.

Without a word Gwen pick up the cup brimming with its stemming hot liquid and brought it to him. “One of us will be right over to take the rest of your order,” she said politely, checking him out more. Not the checking out a ‘good looking guy’ way like she had earlier but really studying him this time. What was it about this man that had her sister in law so spooked?

“Thanks, pet.” Spike nodded going back to concentrating on the menu. He wasn’t really interested in what was on it. Rather he wanted to get away from the blazing blue eyes of the waitress. He swore she was trying to see deep in to his soul, that one.

That was the last thing he wanted in that moment. There was no way he wanted anyone to know just how much he wanted to gather his high school love up in his arms and run away with her.

He’d figured he’d see her again at the reunion in a couple of days. He knew it would be difficult, especially if she was married or involved with something but this was even worse than he thought it would be. His feelings for her had never died, but he never expected to have this kind of reaction. Nor did he expect to see her here.

His heart ached as he glanced over to the counter where the three of them where huddled. Taking a sip of his coffee he closed his eyes trying to figure out what he was going to say to her when she came back.


Faith rubbed Buffy’s back while she stared at the wall, her head hanging down as she tried to catch her breath. “You mean that’s him?” Faith asked softly not wanting to upset her friend anymore.

“Him, who? Who is he, Buffy?” Gwen asked joining them.

“Oh God, please- please don’t tell Riley. He’ll kill me.” She babbled as the first sob broke.

Gwen growled, she’d like to kill her brother for even thinking about laying a hand on Buffy. “Don’t worry about it. He won’t touch you, I promise.” She told her rubbing her back also.

Buffy just cried harder, her shoulders shaking as she buried her head in her hands, but never make a peep.

Gwen looked to Faith hoping Buffy had told her something while she was gone. “Spike,” her lover mouth continuing to rub the blonde’s back. Gwen’s eyes widened a bit in surprise as everything started making sense. Looking back at the booth she studied him for a minute, trying to remember him.

‘Damn! she thought mentally kicking herself for not realizing it sooner. Even though Gwen was a few years older they’d still gone to the same high school.

Unlike her half brother- Riley, who was sent to a private school. The older brunette was so grateful she lived with her mother and not her father and his wife. Even if it meant she almost never saw him. It was way better than living with that bitch- Julie Finn. God how that woman was the wicked witch of the west… and east… and north… Hell, she was just the world’s biggest witch. That woman would make the Pope rethink the death penalty.

“Do you want me to take the table, sweetie?” Gwen asked gently.

Buffy shock her head wiping her eyes. “No, it’s my table. I’ll get it.” with slightly red rimmed eyes she collected herself. The other two exchanged look that clearly said they didn’t think it was a good idea.

“Why don’t you let Gwen take the order while you go freshen up? It’ll still be your table and all.”

“Yeah, go splash some water on your face and all that. I’ll just grab his order.” She nodded, wanting to have a serous talk with the guy now that she knew who he was.

After a moment Buffy sighed knowing she looked like hell, “You don’t mind?”

Gwen hugged her quickly then pushed her gently toward the back. “Not at all, now go,” She shoed the petite blond off.

Once she was gone Gwen turned to Faith. “What in the hell is he doing here? My Gods, if Riley walked in and saw him…” she sighed knowing that her brother would do just what Buffy said he would.

The little prick was the king of all assholes. She couldn’t even begin to count how many times she and Faith had bandaged her up from his abuse. Not to mention the numerous times they’d tried to convince her to press charges or just flat out leave his ass.

“I know, what are we gonna do?”

“First of all I’m going to go over there and find out just exactly why he’s here. Take his order and then we’ll go from there.” With that Gwen headed back to the table.


Faith watched from afar as Gwen did exactly what she said. She had to hand it to her lover, the girl knew how to make a man squirm. The poor guys couldn’t sit still as he blinked up at her. Gwen on the hand had her hands on her hips, her toe a tapping and she could tell she was telling him just how it was. Until Spike held up his hands in the universal sign of ‘I’m harmless.’

Stopping for a moment she crosses her arms over her chest waiting for him to explain himself. As the seconds ticked by Faith saw Gwen’s body relax a little by little until her shoulders slump slightly, and her looks turned more friendly. Several more minutes passed before Gwen returned to the counter.

After hanging his order she joined Faith. “So?”

“So…” Gwen signed, “Spike just came in here to get something to eat. He didn’t know Buffy worked here. He even offered to go if it would help,” she sighed again, slumping against the counter. “I told him no. It was fine he could stay. But if, if Riley showed up for some reason he was my customer and he’s not to know Buffy at all.”

“And?” Faith prodded knowing there was more she wasn’t telling her.

“He didn’t come right out say it, but I could tell he was happy to see Buffy. No, more than happy to see her…” pausing for a moment Gwen closed her eyes and shook her head. “And I know Buffy well enough to know she’s never gotten over him. She told me once that her biggest regret was not going with him when she had the chance.”

Opening her eyes she turned to look at her lover, letting her see just how worried she was about their friend. “I just hope for all our sakes the asshole doesn’t decide to show up in one of his drunken rages.”