The night passed slowly. In her bed, Buffy lay staring blankly at the ceiling, one hand mindlessly stroking Dawn’s silky hair. She thought her niece was asleep until finally the little girl stirred, moving her head to look into her aunt’s eyes with bright curiosity.

“Aunt Buffy?” Her voice was a loud whisper that briefly reminded Buffy of being a little girl at a sleepover, sharing secrets with her friends.

“What is it, Dawnie?”

“Why does Mr. Spike have to go tomorrow?”

“Because he has to go back to being a vampire, sweetie.”

Dawn’s brow furrowed. “But he’s a nice vampire, isn’t he? I don’t want him to be bad.”

Buffy chuckled. “He’s a nice vampire, Dawnie. He saves the world, I think.”

“But doesn’t he get lonely, being the only nice vampire?”

“Yeah. I guess he does.”

Dawn sighed and snuggled down into Buffy’s side again. Her voice dropped to a sleepy mumble. “Then you’d better be a nice vampire, too, Aunt Buffy. You could save the world and you could be together forever, like Barbie and Ken.”

As her eyes closed Buffy smiled wickedly, remembering the crotch on some of her Ken dolls when she was younger and comparing them to Spike’s more-than-adequate… spike. As she drifted into sleep, she cuddled the little girl close and murmured a reply. “I’d like that.”

Spike lay awake in his vast, comfortable bed, staring at the elegant drapes above him. He wondered if Buffy was still awake, whether she was thinking about him. He thought about getting out of bed and going to see her, but decided against it. Don’ wanna wake the Nibblet.

Thinking about Dawn made him smile. It’d be nice for the Bit to have bittier ones to play with. Can see Buffy as a mum. Lilah had never wanted kids. They’d never discussed it, but he knew. She wasn’t exactly the maternal type. Maybe that’s why they had been so totally incompatible. Lilah was everything that Buffy wasn’t: She was cold where Buffy was warm, sly where Buffy was honest, dangerous where Buffy was safe and, most of all, difficult to love where Buffy was so adorable.

That made him smile, and he drifted into a sleep filled with dreams of delicate, blue-eyed, blonde-haired children playing with Dawn in a sun-warmed garden and, for some strange reason, a large, shaggy mongrel dog with a crooked tail that never stopped wagging as it watched the children through odd-colored eyes. Spike just tried to ignore that part.

Buffy woke before her alarm clock, and rolling across the bed, she carefully turned off the alarm. Leaving Dawn sleeping, she showered and changed for her last day of work for a week – the hotel management tried to schedule a week-long break between clients for each floor – and prepared to face the pain of saying goodbye to Spike.

Wesley opened the door for her, as usual, but she didn’t bother to make any wry remarks, just flapping a grateful hand before padding quietly along the corridor. Pausing until she was sure the butler was out of sight, she breathed a sigh of relief. Only Andrew, Wesley and herself were coming in today, the others having already said their goodbyes the night before (though Buffy had a sneaking suspicion that Anya might turn up later.).

She didn’t bother to knock on Spike’s door, assuming that he was still asleep. She slipped into the bedroom and shut the door gently before turning to face the bed. Her jaw dropped. Spike, it seemed, liked to sleep comfortable. Naked and comfortable.

He was splayed out over the mattress as though he had been dropped from a great height, the lightweight summer covers twisted around one leg. He was almost spread-eagled, his head tilted back slightly, his lips gently parted on a soft smile. She studied the graceful curve of his neck, the mouth-watering lines of muscle on his chest, her gaze lingering on his abs until she let it wander greedily south.

He was semi-hard even in sleep, and the fleeting thought that he might have been dreaming of her earlier made her smile. Almost without realizing it, she stepped quickly towards him, pausing at the edge of the bed. She teasingly traced the thick length of him with one finger, eyes glazing over as he hardened under her touch.

Spike was having the most fantastic dream. Buffy was in his room, wearing nothing but those sinful stockings and suspender belt, straddling his chest and masturbating frantically while he watched, her head flung back in glorious abandon, the whisper of her hair caressing his abs as she arched further back making him groan.

He could feel the dream slipping away as he swam towards consciousness, and he whimpered in protest, clinging to it fiercely. As it faded and he became aware of his surroundings, however, the heat in his limbs didn’t disappear into the ether; if anything, it intensified. Opening sleep- and desire-filled eyes, he drew in a sharp breath when he saw Buffy standing above him, one hot little hand wrapped around his cock.

“God, Buffy! What you do to me.” A guttural groan was ripped from his chest as she flexed her fingers around him.

“Good morning, Mr. Giles.” Her voice was a silky caress, her smile wicked. “Are you ready to get up yet?” She gave another firm squeeze and, with a final hard stroke, Spike rocketed over the edge.

“Bloody buggering fuck!” He yelped as he bathed her palms in hot, sticky ejaculate. As the pleasure shuddered through him he thrust his hips towards her for the last time, panting for breath. Looking at her with glazed eyes, he moaned. “That was one heck of a wake-up call, pet.”

Buffy smiled, licking her lips as she raked her eyes over him. With a wink, she vanished into the bathroom to clean her hands. When she emerged again, he was wearing his notoriously tight jeans, but nothing else. She bit her lip, feeling heat uncurl in her belly. Seeing the desire flashing in her eyes, he smiled and reached for her.

Stepping back, she eluded his grip, and when he pouted she rolled her eyes and leaned down to whisper in his ear. “No, William. This morning was all about you. Don’t forget me. Don’t forget us.” And she slipped from his room as silently as she had come, leaving him with the memory of her soft voice warming his heart.

Buffy spent the morning avoiding Spike. She was grateful that she would be having a break from her work, which she had to admit was taxing, but she worried about how he would feel when he got back to work. She had to be honest with herself: she was pretty, and she knew that men found her attractive, but when he went back to filming, Spike would be surrounded by celebrities, especially female ones trying to catch The Next Big Thing. How could she compete with their looks and wealth? She was just a normal person, after all.

That thought made her think about Anya. While she was blunt and sometimes a little scary, the girl was in the same boat as her. Xander, too, was a catch for those slightly less famous celebrity women looking for something to boost their careers. Did that worry Anya they way it worried Buffy? Resolving to talk to the girl, she slipped out into the corridor and headed towards her flat; Dawnie had asked to say goodbye to Spike and Xander in person.

When she opened to door, Dawn was lying on the coffee table, her head over the edge and her long hair touching the floor. Buffy had to stifle a giggle. “Sweetie, what are you doing that for?”

Dawn smiled. “I wanted to see what the world looked like upside-down.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because Mommy said that Australia was on the other side of the world. That must mean people there are upside-down. I wanted to see like they see.”

Buffy nodded solemnly. “Ah. Do you want to come and say goodbye to Mr. Spike and Mr. Xander?”

Dawn rolled onto the floor and jumped up with a smile. She gripped Buffy’s outstretched hand and followed her back out the door.

Spike was frustrated. Every time he went to talk to Buffy, she found something else to do. And now, when he had to leave in only quarter of an hour, the silly bint was nowhere to be found. Scowling, he went to ask Wesley where she’d gone, but the butler was in the kitchen and couldn’t answer. He finally arrived in the front room just in time to see her walk in, Dawn clutching her hand.

His anger melted away at the sight of the little girl. Little Bit has me wrapped around her finger, good ‘n’ proper. Dawn saw him and smiled shyly, tugging her hand free of her aunt’s. He crouched and held out his arms and she leaned into them for a hug, her little arms going around his neck.

He stood, lifting her with him, and she giggled, burying her face in his shoulder. He spun her round twice, then gently lowered her to the floor. She looked at him from wide, innocent eyes and he smiled mysteriously, tapping the side of his nose. “Got somethin’ for you, Nibblet.”

She gasped and clapped her hands happily, then frowned. “I’m not a Nibblet. I’m a Dawn.” She informed him.

He grinned. “Sure you’re a Nibblet. Wouldn’ be more than a mouthful to a vamp.”

She scowled fiercely. “Would too.”

“Would not.” He retorted.

“Would.”

“Not.”

“Would!”

“Alright,” he relented, “You would. Can I call you Nibblet anyway. Suits you.”

She frowned at him for a moment longer, then smiled. “Okay.”

Watching as they talked, Buffy felt her face soften tenderly. He was so good with Dawn, so gentle and so careful. When he drew a wrapped box from behind his back, the little girl squealed and held out her hands. He wagged a finger at her and Dawn pouted, then said, “Please?”

Spike relented; how could he not, when she was looking at him with those big puppy eyes, so like Buffy’s. She took a moment to admire the pink wrapping paper, with little white angels on it, before she carefully began to unwrap the gift, her tongue poking out the side of her mouth with concentration.

While she was occupied, he happened to glance up at Buffy. The wistful, adoring expression on her face made his breath catch, and he hastily looked away as he felt tears prickle behind his eyes. Her gasp as Dawn flung herself into his arms brought him back to the present, no pun intended.

“Thank you thank you thank you!”

He grinned. “Welcome, Bit.”

Dawn squeezed him one last time, then bounded over to Buffy and thrust a signed box-set of the first two series of ‘Slayers and Souls’ at her. “Look, Aunt Buffy!”

Buffy smiled, but looked puzzled. “I didn’t know you liked the show, Dawnie.”

“I didn’t before, but now I’ve met Mr. Spike, and he said he thought I’d like it.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow. “Did you now, Mr. Spike? Will you go and get Mr. Xander, please, Dawn. I think he’s with Anya in the living room.”

As the little girl bounced off, Buffy eyed Spike with amusement. “Leaving something to remember you by?”

He leaned closer, nibbling at her neck until he reached her ear. He sucked the lobe into his mouth for a moment before he growled. “Have to wait for your present, kitten. I’s not exactly rated PG.” To emphasize his point, he thrust his hips roughly against her.

Whimpering, Buffy backed away just in time for Dawn to come back into the room in front of a sheepish-looking Anya and Xander. Her nose wrinkled, the little girl said, “They were kissing. Yuck!”

Giggling, Buffy went across and embraced Xander, kissing him lightly on the cheek. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Xander. I hope you’ll keep in touch.”

Grinning, he returned her hug. “Of course, Buffster.”

She turned to Spike, who’d just said his goodbyes to Anya. She gave a weak smile, her eyes stinging. He swore, clasping her to him tightly. “I’ll call as soon as I can, pet, I swear. Gonna miss you so much, my Buffy.” She held him for a moment longer, then stepped back. She watched as he walked slowly behind the porter towards the elevator. He turned as the crowded into the small room, his eyes meeting and holding hers as a single tear traced down her cheek. She continued to stare at the spot he’d been in even after the doors had closed.