Author's Chapter Notes:
nothing I can think of...other than to tell you I'm working on getting a new story u soon so that people who don't want something as dark as SB can read something of mine :)
Chapter Seven


James prepared himself for more porntastic-ness when it became obvious that Buffy and Spike were going to claim each other, but things happened differently than he’d expected.

”This doesn’t involve sex?” Buffy asked, not believing what he’d told her. “I mean it’s a vampire thing so…”

“Yeah, it’s a ‘vampire thing’,” Spike explained, “But it’s about love and protection—not about death and lust; so no, sex isn’t involved.”

“Won’t it hurt then?” the only times she’d been bitten where it hadn’t hurt had been while having sex with Spike---and that time Dracula had her under his thrall of course.

“Not with…I don’t know how to explain it but when two people—or vampires—decide to claim each other there has to be a certain level of respect and usually love there. That, that caring and my demon recognizing my intention is what stops it from hurting. I can’t promise it won’t hurt you some, luv because you don’t have a demon in you to know what’s happening….”

“That’s okay,” Buffy assured him, knowing that it really was. The outcome was more than worth a few possible moments of pain.

“I’d like to tell you it’ll be painless—feel good even, but I don’t know for sure and I wouldn’t lie to you, luv.”

“So, uh, how do we do this?”



*~*~*~*


James watched in fascination as Spike leaned forward and kissed Buffy sweetly for several seconds before pulling back.

”Now?” he asked.

Buffy just nodded, making no audible reply, just continued to gaze at him.

Spike kissed along her neck, truly worried that this was going to cause Buffy pain, before slowly sliding his fangs into the smooth skin of her neck.

Buffy flinched just slightly in pain before relaxing and finding that it hurt much when she wasn’t tensing up. It wasn’t an altogether pleasant experience, but it wasn’t an altogether painful one either.

“You’re mine now, Buffy. Mine to love and protect, ‘til the end of the world.”


And then, just as if it were the most natural response—which perhaps it was—Buffy leaned in and bit into Spike’s neck hard enough to draw blood and repeated her own variation of those same words.

It wasn’t as big of a to do as movies and books that he’d seen and read usually made it out to be, but it was….more sensual than any of those had been. This ritual was truly about love and trust, not some misguided sense of possessiveness during sex.


*~*~*~*


Things between he and Buffy had been going great and Spike didn’t think he wanted to leave her long enough to go in search of his soul. But at the same time….he knew that some day, sooner or later, he was going to do it.

He hadn’t given much—some but not much—thought to children since he’d become a vampire. It was just one of those things that was never going to happen for him and he’d accepted it. Or at least he thought he had.

But hearing James talk about his son had changed everything for him. Now it, once again, felt like something he was missing out on. Something great and joyous that he was missing out on.

Having his soul, of course, wouldn’t guarantee that anything would happen, he knew that. But what it would do was make him eligible for that Shanshu prophecy and the way Spike saw it, when you were in the position he was in, you ought to do anything and everything you could to increase you chances.

He hadn’t told Buffy any of this of course, scared that either it wouldn’t work out…or that she wouldn’t like the idea—but today he was going to tell her that he was leaving.

For his soul.


*~*~*~*


“I thought…I thought you said you wouldn’t leave me,” Buffy reminded him.

“Not leaving exactly…well, I am, but I’m coming back. I promised you, kitten, you remember?”

“Yes, I remember. I just didn’t think you were going to leave is all.”

“I’ll be back. You know that. This is just something I have to do. Evil’s been leaving us alone for a bit and you’ve got Red and Glinda here…You’ll be okay, sweets.”

“Well, yeah, but I’ll miss you,” she explained. “Do you have to go?”

“Fraid so, pet.”

“When are you leaving?” Buffy asked, resigning herself to the fact that he was going to go.

“Day after tomorrow. First time I could find transport.”

“And you’ve made sure this is all safe? I don’t want you turning into dust halfway there,” she said it simply but her could tell it was a real fear.

“Checked and double checked. If you think I’m leaving you now…I’ll be back, luv. Promise.”


*~*~*~*


James couldn’t believe it, even without those traumatic events, Spike was still going to get his soul. He wondered why.


*~*~*~*


“So you'll give me what I want? Make me what I was? So Buffy can get what she deserves.” Spike tried to get up from the floor, to face the demon head on but as far as he could get was to his knees.

“Very well,” Bumpy, as Spike had taken to thinking of him, replied.

Spike looked, out of his one good eye, at the demon, nervously.

“We will return….your humanity.”

Spike screamed in agony and surprise as the demon held its hand against his chest and the life burned itself back into him.



*~*~*~*


Well wasn’t that just…something? Apparently just a few actions really could change everything.

James sat back and watched the rest of the episodes in fascination.


*~*~*~*


Spike came back during the middle of the night on a Thursday, three and a half weeks after he left.

“You came back,” Buffy tried, poorly, to hide her surprise.

“I promised you I would, di—“ But Buffy interrupted him before he could continue.

“Spike?” she questioned, a look of outright awe on her face.

She’d grown so accustomed to her ‘vampire’ sense going off whenever he was near—and to ignoring the feeling when it came to him—that it took her several moments to realize that there wasn’t anything there for her to ignore.

“Figured it out then, have you?”

“But I thought…”

“That I was going for my soul? Yeah, so did I. Apparently Bumpy there had other intentions though. Do feel like I got it a little easy though. No world saving involved.”

“Not this time, but you have saved the world before…So, are you one hundred percent human or…?” Buffy trailed off, not completely sure what she was asking.

“Still stronger than I ever was as William…not sure if I’m as strong as I was, though. Think I am, but I guess time’ll tell with that one. Full aversion to sunlight and fire—or I guess not fire since I can still burn and it’ll still hurt like hell and all, but—“

Buffy’s giggling cut him off, “You’re human. And you can still help me fight evil?”

“From what I can tell, yeah.”

“The world so loves me!” Buffy squealed before jumping on Spike, her legs around his waist and her arms around her neck. “See? I still get you to help me fight all the nasties and hey, can’t kill you with sex, but…”

“But we can go out in the sunlight, have dinner together and both require the food…”

“Have kids,” she finally said what they were both afraid to be the one to say. “I mean…well maybe not because I’m the Slayer and all and there are all those things that want to kill—“

‘Faith’s the Slayer, too,” he reminded her.

“She’s in jail.”

“Gets out sooner or later, yeah? Plus, Council of Wankers could probably figure out springing her for ya.”

“You really want to…”

“To have you have my child? Are you insane? Dreamt of it since the day I met you…granted at first they weren’t very welcome dreams and I managed to banish them most of the time…but I still…Yeah I want to pet, long as you do.”

“I do,” Buffy assured him, still wrapped around him, “I didn’t used to think I did…but I think that was just because I was so sure I couldn’t that I made myself think I didn’t want to…’Don’t want to’ is easier to deal with than ‘can’t’, you know?”

“I know, pet…more than you can imagine; I know.”

“So, we get Giles to get Faith out of jail, then…”

“Well, first we get married and get ourselves a place that’s just ours—maybe even here without the witches, then we get Giles to spring the other Slayer.”

“You want to marry me?”

“Are you ever going to stop being surprised that I want a life with you?”

“I don’t know….But it’s good surprise; really, really good surprise,” Buffy assured him before kissing him, a kiss filled with all her hopes for the future and their life together.


*~*~*~*


THE END….at least til I decide to write more ;)



So we got what, Spike’s soul, human Spike, Buffy loving Spike, claiming, marriage, a baby…yeah I covered it all, oops.



a/n: I did think of something....I'm probably starting a little 'fic preview' group and I'll need some of my fluffy fic loving people too if I do...uhmmm either email me at suzeefic@gmail.com and I'll let you know when it's up or leave me your email in a review :-)