Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for your patience. Hope the story is interesting. More chapters coming up. PLEASE REVIEW. I'm 11 reviews short from reaching 100 reviews for this story. This is my first try in writing a story and I hope you can give me the support to reach my target. PLEASE REVIEW!!
Chapter 25 : New Life

Disclaimer : Joss Whedon owns the characters. Atleast most of them. I’m continuing the story which didn’t end when he finished. Just want to have an ending.





Angel was brought in front of a council in a white room. He didn’t know where he was and didn’t know what he should ask.

“Welcome Liam. We have been expecting you.” one of the council people said.

“My name is Angel. And where am I?”

“You were the chosen one who defended the innocent. A vampire cursed with a soul destined to do good for mankind. You have been proven worthy and will be awarded.”

“Wait. This is a mistake. I have signed off the prophecy. I cannot be the one you are looking for.” Angel answered disbelievingly.

“A prophecy cannot be changed Liam. It was meant for you and only you. You cannot decide whether you are worthy or not. We as the Powers To Be have decided you as worthy.”

“I have no reason to live. Everyone I cared about have died or left me. I have no one to be with. I have lost my friends and my family. What do you expect me to live for?” Angel asked angrily.

“There is nothing that could be lost and cannot be gained. Everything will happen according to the plan. You will find your purpose in your Mortal Life. You will find peace in your heart. However, you have a choice to be made.”

“What choice would that be?” Angel asked.

“Would you like to have a fresh start and erase all your memories? Or would you like to live your human life along with your old memories?” The leader of the council asked.

Angel had to think about his decision. He has committed sins that he can’t seem to erase from his memories. He was always haunted by those memories. But now he could erase those memories and live as a human. He can be reunited with Buffy. But if he erases his memory, he will not remember Buffy. Or Cordelia. Or any of his friends. And that would be a sacrifice that he cannot make. They have been with him till their end and they must not be forgotten so easily.

“I think I would keep my memories.” Angel spoke out.

“Very well, you have been redeemed of your past and your soul is fixed with your body permanently. You will have your life as mortal and age as a mortal. You will live your life and find peace in your heart. We wish you well Liam.” With that, Angel was transferred back to the reality.

He looked around and saw that he was in a hospital. He walked down the corridor and saw Giles standing there near a door. He walked towards him. Giles looked up and saw Angel.

“Oh Angel. We were worried about you. We were wondering where you disappeared.” Giles asked.

“I had a chat with the PTBs. Apparently I have proven my worthiness and they have made me human.” Angel explained and Giles’ eyes went wide.

“Oh Lord… Oh My…” Giles removed his glasses and cleaned them.

“I believe congratulations are in order.” Giles said and reached out his hand to Angel. Angel looked at the hand for a moment and took it to shake it strong.

“I was wondering where Buffy is. And what are we doing here anyway?” Angel asked Giles.

“This is a hospital known by the Council. We have brought the injured Slayers here. Buffy is inside this room getting out of her hospital clothes. She had to go in for a full checkup as a precaution.” Giles explained.

“May I talk to her alone?” Angel asked for permission.

“Sure. I’ll go get myself a cup of tea from the cafeteria.” Giles walked away allowing Angel to enter the door. Angel opened the door and walked in. He was focusing on closing the door making no noise; he didn’t see the black coated figure walking towards the door.

“Hello Buffy” Buffy spun around to look at Angel.

“Angel” she murmured and ran to him giving him a big hug.

“We were so worried about you. What happened? Where did you go?” Angel held her tight enjoying the feeling of her.

Buffy’s eyes widened at the feeling of his skin. It was unlikely warm. There was a thin sound of a heartbeat close to his chest. She moved away from him shocked.

“PTBs pulled me away for a while. They said I have proven myself worthy and awarded me with humanity. I am totally 100% human Buffy.”

She was still shocked to speak.

“We could finally be together without any worries or clause of losing my soul now.” Angel said smiling at her shocked face.

That thought made Buffy strong enough to speak.

“I didn’t expect this to happen.” She whispered softly.

“Neither did I. I thought Spike would be the one. But PTBs claimed I was the one. And now I can find my happiness with you. We can walk in the sun and be at the beach. We can have our family together.” Angel went on.

Buffy found the strength in her voice again.

“Angel… I was in love with you completely with myself and my soul. You were my first love and I will always love you. This is something I dreamt about and would have given anything to have a normal life with you.”

Angel was smiling at her declaration of love and Buffy was so into her emotions, neither noticed the door close completely and a figure walking away from the doorstep.

“However, I am not that same girl anymore. That girl didn’t live through the life I have. She didn’t have to die to save the world. She didn’t have to loose her mother. She didn’t have to go through the pain and suffering I have been through in the last six years. After everything I have been through and lived through, I don’t think I want that anymore. I don’t think I want to be a normal girl anymore. I love you Angel but I’m not in love with you. The only person who has been by my side regardless through everything was someone else.”

Angel tried to speak but Buffy raised her hands to stop him from speaking.

“I know you left town for my own good. But I didn’t ask you to. You decided what was good for me. You left me to face my own destiny. I lived through a lot in the last few years. I felt alone and abandoned. But Spike was there to remind me that I’m not. No matter how many times we tried to get rid of him, how many times I tried to avoid him, he never gave up on me. I even beat him up and took all my anger on him and he just let me. I used him for my own selfish reasons and he simply allowed me. And when he did react, it made him go and get his soul so that he will never do it again. We hurt each other then but I think I hurt him emotionally and physically far more than he did.

Angel didn’t know about that incident. He wanted to ask but he didn’t want to interfere.

When we were in the battle with the First, I don’t think I could have won or survived in that without the strength he gave me. When all my friends and family abandoned me and threw me out of my own house, he was there beside me to give me the strength to follow my path. And he never asked anything in return.”

Angel tried to speak again. But Buffy’s stern look stopped him from speaking.

“I know what you are going to say. He is a vampire and he cannot give me the life I want. Truth is, I don’t care. I don’t care whether he is a vampire or he has done unforgivable sins in his past. He was always there for me no matter what. He saved the world by giving up his life. He changed his true nature to be by my side. I believe in him. I trust him. Even if he somehow loses his soul, I have complete faith in him not to harm me or anyone else. He loved me with or without a soul. That is something I cannot say about you when you were a vampire. When you became Angelus, you did not love me and I couldn’t love you. But I can love Spike with or without his soul because both are the same person to me. I love him for who he is and what he did for me and my friends. I didn’t want to believe it then because he is a Vampire and I am a Slayer. But it doesn’t matter to me anymore. He may not be able to give me a family. He may not be able to take me in the sun. But he gives me what I need. He gives me a reason to live my life. He is what I need and I don’t think I can be without him. My heart and soul belongs to him and only him.”

She took a moment to catch her breath.

“You are human now Angel. You can live your life happily with someone else. You can find the perfect someone who completes you. Because I am not that one. I am already complete with my other half. I wish you will find yours too.”

With that, she reached up and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek and walked out of the door. Angel was stunned at her speech for a moment. Tears came from his eyes. He wiped it off and left the room.




Meanwhile…

Spike went to get some diet coke for Buffy. When he came back, he saw Angel walking into her room. He was surprised seeing his Grandsire and at the same time wondered why he was going to Buffy’s room. He walked in closely to hear Angel telling her about him becoming human. Spike was jealous for a moment at Angel for being shanshued. Then he heard Angel’s declaration of being with Buffy and her talking about her love for him. It broke his heart into many pieces.

‘Of course. What else did you expect? Did you think she would actually choose you over Angel who is also apparently a human? You are truly pathetic.’ He was scolding himself for hoping too much.

‘I can’t be around watching them be a couple and look like a wounded puppy. I must get out of here. Get out of America. Maybe go to England.’ his thoughts ran wildly. He picked up a paper and a pen from the reception. Wrote down something and put it in his pocket. He was close to the lift when it opened and out came Giles.

“Hello Spike.” At the look of Spike’s face, Giles knew what happened.

“I believe you have heard the extraordinary news?” Spike silently nodded. “I am quite sure what happened from your face. I can’t say I didn’t suspect it. She always wanted a normal life and she did love Angel. Now she has a chance to get both she wanted without the worry of being the only Slayer.” Spike kept silent. He didn’t want to speak as it might make him break down in front of Giles.

“I didn’t get a chance to properly thank you for what you did in Hellmouth. It simply showed your courage to save the world. I am truly sorry for the way I treated you in the final years. I was taught that demon cannot change and always will be evil. When you had your chip, I believed it was what was controlling you. When you helped us in that summer, I did believe you to be good. But I had my doubts. But your act to achieve your soul and save the world showed who you really are. You are truly unique for a vampire. And I am honored to have fought by your side.” Giles spoke with sincere honesty.

“Thanks Rupert. It means more than you can ever imagine. I do have a request though.” Spike said with a soft emotional voice.

“Anything you want and I’ll arrange it for you.”

“I’m thinking of coming back to mother land. Can you arrange something for me to do there?” Spike asked him.

“Sure. I’ll make the travel arrangements. And you can work in our Council. You can be the trainer for all the Slayers in the Council.” Giles spoke with authority.

“Don’t you think the Watchers may get annoyed by the fact a vampire training a Slayer?” Spike smirked.

“I believe they would. But I can convince them otherwise. Will you be at the Hyperion?”

“Nah. I am thinking of being somewhere else for the time being. I’ll contact you in a couple of days for my travel arrangements. Can you give this to Dawn for me?” He took the paper from his pocket and gave it to Giles. Giles nodded and Spike went to the lift downstairs to the car park. He came out of the hospital and stayed in the shadow looking at the sun shining street. He took a cigarette and lit it.

“You know those things will kill you?” A man came and stood next to Spike.

“Can’t kill something that’s already dead mate.” Spike said taking another puff from it.

“Sometimes you can’t. Sometimes you can.” Whistler answered cryptically.

“Who are you and what do you want?” Spike asked straight forwardly. He didn’t want to be played again.

“Seems like the PTBs are interested in you for some reason. They have sent you an invitation. Wanna go for a ride?”

Spike thought for a moment. “Already had someone play that card before. Didn’t work out very well.” He replied.

“This time I’m taking you to the Oracles. You can hear it from them directly. No confusions.”

Spike nodded and both of them walked to the wall in the shadows. Whistler said something and touched the wall. It became tangible.

“You can go in now” Whistler stepped away and Spike moved forward.

Spike wasn’t sure about this. He thought this was a trick. But he wanted to know who was trying to play him. So he decided to play along and he stepped into the wall. It took him somewhere else.

“Welcome Vampire” Two figures appeared in front of him.

“So what’s the deal here? Who are you people?”

“We are the Oracles. What have you brought us?” The female questioned.

“What the bloody hell should I bring you? I didn’t bring you anything. Why should I? You are supposed to be telling me something.”

“We require gift in order to share vital information for you.” The male replied.

“Sod this. I can’t give you anything.” Spike turned to leave.

“The information may be vital to your future.” The female spoke up.

Spike was indecisive. He didn’t have anything to give them even if he wanted to. Then something felt in his pocket. He reached in and pulled out his lighter. His favorite lighter. And he didn’t want to sacrifice that.

“How important is the information?” Spike questioned.

“It may change your life completely.” They answered in unison.

“Ok. Here you go. My lighter. Has been with me for years and now I have to trade it with the sodding Oracles.” Spike murmured.

“The PTBs are surprised at your sacrifice. They have been watching you and expected a long time for you to come on the good side. It was expected to happen years after. But your sacrifice to save the world gave you a start early in your life.” The male explained.

“You have been chosen by the PTBs to be the protector of the innocents. There is still a need for a savior and you are the chosen one. Your strength comes from your love. And it will help you redeem yourself quicker than any other. You will be rewarded for your service. You will find your happiness.” The female continued.

“Sorry but I think you must be mistaken. I just came out knowing my happiness is over and my love is no more. So play another tune will ya?”

“Nothing is what they seem Vampire. You will know it when you leave here. You will have a gift of our appreciation waiting for you. You may leave now.”

“Hey. You didn’t even ask me if I want to be the one. What if I don’t? Don’t I have a choice?” Spike called them back.

“You already chose when you decided to fight for the good side. Now follow your path and find your destiny.”

And then Spike was standing outside the wall looking at the street.

“Where did you go? I’ve been looking for you.” Spike turned around to the voice.

Buffy was standing there looking at him. Spike shrugged his shoulders. “Great. First the Oracles and now madame I’m in love. ” Spike murmured to himself.

“Spike… What’s wrong?” Buffy asked while coming closer to him.

“Don’t Buffy. I already know what you are going to say. You don’t have to say anything. I’m not going to be bothering you. I have my own path to follow to. You can go and live your merry life.” Spike spoke trying to hide his pain but failing to do so.

“What are you talking about?” Buffy asked confused.

“I heard you Buffy. I know what’s happening. I know your decision.” Spike continued his rambling.

“What the hell are you talking about? What’s happening?” Buffy questioned him.

“I know about Angel. I was there. I heard what you said. I was outside the door when you declared your undying love for him. I heard him asking you to spend your life with him. And I’m not going to come between you and your true love. Some people are destined to be together and I guess you and the great poof are one of them. So go live your happily married life.” Spike said and turned to walk away.

“Oh My God. How stupid can you really be?” Buffy asked him and he turned to look at her with anger. She was trying to hold onto her laugh failing miserably.

“Oh ya. I look like a joke to you. I know… how pathetic can a Vampire be falling in love with a Slayer? I am the big bad joke of all time.” Spike continued.

Buffy’s face turned to seriousness. “Spike. Look at me.” He looked. “I’m not going to be with Angel. I want to be with you. That was what I was telling him and you ran away without listening to the whole speech.”

Spike looked dumbstruck. “But… I heard you say that you love him.” He was struggling for words now.

“Yes I did and I do love him. But I’m not in love with him. Not anymore. I may have wanted that once upon a time in my life. But I already have everything I need for the rest of my life. As long as you are by my side, I wouldn’t need anything else to make me happy.” Buffy said with a smile.

“Why? I mean he was your true love. And now he is human. Both of you can be together and have a family. Why come to me? Why choose me?” Spike still questioned showing his insecurity.

“I don’t know why. Why is it that you love me when you are supposed to kill me? Why is it that you risked your life for Dawn? Why did you sacrifice your life to save the world?” She asked him back. Then continued “I don’t know why but all I know is that I love you and without you, nothing would seem perfect to me.” She was surprised on her openness of her feelings. A couple of years ago, she would have kicked him and ran away when she felt anything remotely emotional to the same Vampire.

“You have no idea how you make me feel. And I can be damn sure I won’t loose my soul out of pure happiness because if I can, then I would have by now.” Spike said smiling. Buffy gave him a smile as well and came into his arms and embraced him around his waist.

“I don’t know how long I will live Buffy but as long as I do, I will always keep you safe and happy. I promise” he kissed her forehead to seal the promise and when she looked into his eyes, he leaned down and captured her lips with his. It was soft and tender full of promises.

“Ahem… I guess everything went fine I see.” the voice interrupted their moment. When they looked at the person, Buffy was shocked.

“Whistler?” she asked surprised.

“You know this bloke luv?” Spike asked Buffy who simply nodded.

“Nice of you to remember me. I came to congratulate Spike on his mission and give him his gift.”

“What mission? What gift?” Buffy tensed.

“Don’t worry luv. Nothing bad. The PTBs have chosen me to be the savior of the people. They want me to take the peaches’ place in the good guys list. And they are supposed to give me a gift of appreciation.” Spike explained.

“Actually, you are one step more than Angel. Since you found your redemption by yourself and love showed you the path, you are given a gift of love.” And Whistler handed Spike a small box.

Spike opened it and a ring was inside. He looked at Whistler with disbelief. Buffy looked at it as well and knew what it was instantly.

“The ring of Amara?” Both asked in unison.

“Yes. A gift for you to walk in sunlight and be safe from your Vampire weaknesses.”

“It’s too risky. What if something goes wrong? What if it falls into the wrong hands?” Spike raised the question.

“Good that you asked. Actually this is different from the one you had before. This is blessed solely upon you. Only you can wear it. And don’t worry about it getting destroyed because it cannot. It will exist as long as you exist as a Vampire.” Whistler explained it to the couple.

“What do you mean he exists as a Vampire?” Buffy asked the question now.

“Well… he is on a path of redemption now just like Angel. He will become human too one day if he follows the path. But I have a feeling he would reach there quicker than Angel.” Whistler told his final point and looked at the couple who were still in shock.

“Now I’ll let you two lovebirds get on with your life and move on. By the way, someone will be your seer to help you in your redemption. Good luck” with that, he went off.

Buffy and Spike were lost out of words. They looked at the path Whistler went and looked at each other.

“Was that…” Spike started to ask but couldn’t complete. “Real?” Buffy completed and nodded her head.

“I guess it’s nice to know the PTBs do have a way of showing how they care huh?” Buffy asked Spike who was still in shock with his surprising gifts.

“So try on the ring. I want you to take me on a walk in the sun.” Buffy encouraged him and he put his ring in his finger. Then he reached a hand out into where the rays of sun were falling. His hand didn’t burn but it warmed up though. Then he moved into the sunlight and the light bounced off his features making him glow. Buffy was engulfed with emotions looking at him. He looked like a real Angel in the sunlight. She walked close to him and gripped his hands. Both of them started to walk in the sunlight hand in hand.

“Spike” Dawn’s voice was heard from a distance. Both of them paused to turn around. When they did, they saw Dawn running towards them. She ran into them breathless and took a moment to catch her breath.

“What the hell were you thinking leaving me a note and going away?” She started to yell at him not noticing him in the sunlight.

“Nibblet, it’s alright. I’m not going anywhere. Not anymore.” Spike said smiling at her.

“Wait…” Dawn looked at him wide eyed. “You are in the sun and not burning…” Dawn was shocked out of her head.

“Courtesy of the people above.” Spike pointed up and showed her the ring. Dawn knew about the ring of Amara from Spike’s stories. She looked at him happily and surprised.

“Wait a minute… You were leaving and not telling me?” Buffy caught up on her sister’s accusation.

“Well luv, I was thinking you were gonna be with the grand poof and I didn’t want to be around with you giving moon eyes to him. I thought of going back to England with Giles and help the Council in there.” Buffy and Dawn looked at him disapprovingly.

“If you ever pull a stunt like that ever again, we will tear you apart piece by piece and bury you in the garden so that you will never leave.” Buffy threatened and Dawn nodded her head in agreement.

“Well luv, small technical difficulty. Vampire here, no tearing apart. Only dusty ending.” Spike said humoring the situation.

“Whatever. We will mix your dust into the water and pour it to the plants in the garden. Right Dawn?” Dawn was nodding trying to hide her smile.

“Don’t worry. Why would I want to leave when two of my best girls are here?” Spike smiled and put his arms around both of them. All three walked back to the hospital.




Illyria has healed from her wound. There is a light indication on where the wounds were but they were healing supernaturally.

“I have decided to go to another dimension.” She spoke her thoughts.

“Why? I mean you seemed to be getting settled in here. Why would you want to leave?” Willow asked.

“This is not my time. I don’t wish to intrude on the human lifestyle. You have taught me how valuable human life is and how one should fight for the good at any cost. I will follow that and help the innocents in other dimensions.” She bowed her head in respect.

“We’ll sure miss you blue. Be safe and do drop in some time.” Spike said.

“I will miss you too half breed. Lead the others and protect the innocents.” She turned to the wall and after a moment, a portal opened. She walked right through it. The portal closed behind her.

“I guess I’ll be going as well. I must find a way to live my life.” Angel said turning to Giles.

“I’ll contact you to get my papers. You will be in Hyperion right?” Angel asked him.

“I’m afraid so. Until all the Slayers are healed and sent back to Cleveland, I have the responsibility to their safety. I will arrange for your identification and authorized papers immediately.” Giles answered back.

“Be safe Angel and good luck with your new life.” Buffy wished him.

He gave her a smile and nodded his head towards his once grandchilde. Spike nodded back and Angel walked out the door into the sunlight.

‘Man it sure does feel different when you are alive.’ Angel thought to himself.

He walked down the pavement with his memories of his friends. He missed all of them and they have given their lives for a path he followed. He was lost in his thoughts when he heard a woman scream.

“Help. Someone, he stole my purse.” A guy was running towards Angel.

Instinctively, Angel raised his hand and blocked the mugger’s path. He took out a knife and Angel took hold of his wrist and twisted it. He managed to slash Angel before he dropped the knife. Angel looked at the blood coming from his arm and the pain he felt. He sure did feel alive. A smile came on his face and he punched the lights out of the mugger. He took the purse from his hands and turned to the lady who came running behind the mugger.

“Oh thank god. I thought I wouldn’t be able to get that shoes I wanted to buy today.” the woman stopped her rambling when she saw the guy who stopped the mugger staring at her like a ghost.

“Co.. Co.. Cordy?” Angel whispered.

“Duh. I’m not Cordy or whoever she is. I’m Jenny. Haven’t you seen my ads before?” Jenny continued to babble. Then looked at Angel.

“Do I know you from somewhere before?” Angel shook his head. “Guess I can buy you lunch for saving my money and my Gucci purse. It caused me quite a lot to get this specific purse.”

Angel smiled at the coincidence. ‘Somehow, everything will be alright.’ Angel thought to himself.

A/N : Only an epilogue left to go. Let me know whether a sequel is a good idea. Continue to read and don’t forget to REVIEW. I'm aiming for 100 Reviews as a target for this story and I hope you guys can help me achieve that. So PLEASE PLEASE REVIEW!!!

TBC