Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! Pretty please keep 'em coming!

This chap: Angel tells Spike a little about Buffy, while Buffy finds out a little about Spike, as well as Angel's plans.....

***Disclaimer: Ain't mine. Don't own any recognisable characters, blah blah blah....don't sue me. It's just damn rude.***







*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“So. That was ‘er. Buffy Summers.” Spike said in an awestruck voice as he jumped down from the low, narrow ledge he had been walking along, until he was in stride with Angel.

“What? Yes.” Angel said, clearly deep in thought. Spike continued regardless.

“Wow. ‘s a shame she’s a, wot you call ‘em? Scoobie?” He asked. Angel didn’t reply. “’cos she’s a bit of all right. So, ‘sides bein’ bein one of them, what’s wrong wiv ‘er?”

“What?” Angel asked.

“Well, she shagged you, din’t she? Must be summat wrong wiv ‘er.” Spike commented, oblivious to the fact that his elder was ignoring him. “What did you hafta do? Knock ‘er out?” That got his attention. Suddenly Spike was shoved up against the wall, Angel holding him up by his duster lapels.

“What are you trying to say?” Angel demanded. Spike pushed him off and raised his hands in mock surrender.

“I was only kidding, mate.” He explained, before a devious glint appeared in his eye. “’ey, you didn’t did you? Aw, is that the only way ole Peaches can get any?” he taunted.

“I’m warning you.” He threatened.

“Or you’ll what?” he asked. Angel came dangerously close, the two face to face, noses almost touching.

“You don’t want to find out.” He warned, before breaking away, and continued stalking down the street.

“I think you’re scared of her.” Spike shouted a moment of two later.

“You do, do you?” Angel sighed in despair.

“Yeh. I mean, the chit put you in behind bars before. What’s to stop ‘er doin’ it again?” he asked. “How’d she do it? Send you down, I mean?” he thought back to the young woman n the bar, and how she'd seem to effect him before he even knew who she was. OF course, once he'd heard her name, he could tell you a lot about her. She was renowned throughout the higher circles of the criminal world. She had brought millionaires to their knees, and humiliated anyone that tried to cross her. Sending Angel to jail when she was just nineteen, and brand new to the game had elevated her name into the higher circles, but it was her charm and cunning that had kept her there.

But, even knowing all that, Spike was still surprised when he had met her. She was sassy, no doubt about that, but their was also a vulnerability he had caught in her eyes. Eyes that had seen to much, cried too many tears. And the William in Spike wanted to reach out to her, comfort her. Something Spike was taking none too kindly too. Dru. Think about Dru. But he hadn't been thinking about Dru when he had first laid eyes on her, or when he watched the bitter banter between her and Angel. In fact, he was thinking of everything but his Dark Princess.

“Bitch set me up.” Angel replied bitterly, causing Spike to whoop with laughter. “What? What the fuck is so funny?”

“Is that it? Is that all it took? You were really that stupid?” he asked between laughs.

“Maybe…” Angel began, as he turned on him. “Maybe I wasn’t that stupid. Maybe she was that smart." Spike sobered slightly.

"So, she's a grass then?" he asked.

"That about sums it up, yes." Angel replied, as they turned into the foyer of the hotel.




*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



“Well, what do we know?” Buffy asked, seating herself comfortably on the leather couch.

“Not a lot.” Willow said. “He’s twenty-eight, studied English Literature at Oxford. His mother was Anne Jocelyn Thornton, father Michael William Thornton. His father died when he was six, his mother died of influenza- the flu- when Spike was twenty-one. Apparently her immune system was shot. He went to a local comprehensive in Vauxhall, London, until he was eleven. He got a scholarship to a private boarding school, which he left when he was eighteen. That’s all I got.” Willow finished disappointedly.

“Anything after that? Like, since he got to the states?” Buffy asked.

“Nope. Guy doesn’t have so much as a bank account. Sorry Buffy.” The blonde sighed in frustration.

“No worries. Anybody got anything else? Xander?” she asked.

“I did the rounds, and the guy doesn’t exactly keep a low profile. Him and our old pal Dru have been painting the town red. Local clubs and bars. He was thrown out of Pulse a couple of nights ago. Him and Dru were doing the nasty in the bathroom.” Willow choked on the glass of water she was drinking, and Giles began rubbing his glasses furiously. “Anyway….” Xander continued. “I was talking to the bouncer who chucked them out. Didn’t know their names, but Spike put up quite a fight. It took three guys to chuck him out, and one of them now has a broken wrist, the other a broken nose. He took off before the cops could show.”

“Doesn’t get any so throws a hissy fit. So, basically, your typical male” Buffy concluded.

“On behalf of my gender, hey!” Xander said. “Anyway, I was talking to Tripod, and apparently, Angel’s none too happy about Dru and Spike’s little liaison. And, rumour has it, Dru’s not entirely enamoured with Spike, either.”

“Daddy’s home, and he wants what’s his.” Buffy said. “ Typical Angel. Do we have anything else? I mean, do we know why they’re here, or what Angel’s next move is? Giles?”

“I was able to contact our friend Whistler, I’m sure you remember him Buffy.” Giles began, and Buffy nodded.

“Yeh. Part of the gang up in Chicago, right?” she asked. “He works undercover at Masters?”

“Indeed. He was able to divulge some information about Angel’s newest mark.”

“Who?” Xander asked.

“Not so much a who as a what. He’s after the cross of DuLac.” Giles explained.
“Why? That’s a theft, not a con.” Anya commented, puzzled.

“No. He’s gonna pull a Forthwright Diamond.” Xander twigged.

“What?” Anya asked.

“What!” Buffy cried in outrage. “He wouldn’t dare!”

“OK, what?” Anya asked.

“Before your time, Ahn.” Xander explained. “We stole the Forthwright Diamond and had copies made. Five copies, and sold them all to different bidders, though not before we replaced the original back in it’s case.”

“Bloody brilliant.” Giles whispered reminiscently. “Anyway, as Xander deduced, it does appear that Angel is planning on doing something to the same effect.”

“Why?” Buffy asked suddenly.

“To make money.” Anya offered. “That’s what a con-artist does. Makes money. That’s why I became one. I like money.” Buffy ignored her.

“When I was talking to him, he had this, I don’t know, evil gleam in his eye. Like he was planning something. Something that involved me, or, at least, us.” Buffy struggled to explain. “It’s difficult to say, but he was almost mocking me, like he knew I knew he was after me, but he knew I didn’t know what he was planning.”

“Perhaps he really is here on business.” Giles pondered.

“There is about as much chance of Angel being in the same town as the woman who sent him to jail for five years, and not exacting fresh vengeance, as there is of me going into Krispy Kreme’s and not buying a doughnut.” Xander said.

"So he's after the cross of DuLac. And using my technique. Words cannot express how much I hate this guy." Buffy said. "So we find out who he's selling to. Go through all our contacts, Xan, see what you can find. Will, can you do a check on the net? See if you can hack into Angel's e-mails, anything like that. And maybe find out where he's staying? Anya, do you think you could try and get in contact with any of your associates?”

"Sure, but I'm pre-tty much an outcast from them these days. I could try my old boss, but i doubt he'd be willing to help." Anya replied, referring to her days when she worked for part of the Master's family in New York.

"I get that, but can you try?" Buffy pleaded.

"Of course."

"What about you?" Xander asked Buffy. "What are you going to do?"

"What I do best."