Author's Chapter Notes:
First off, I want to say THANK YOU to every on who has read, reviewed, or both. Y'all really made writing this fic worth the effort.
Secondly, I haven't really looked this chapter over, so if anyone finds an error - PLEASE point it out to me.
And lastly, I hope y'all enjoy this chapter.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

For several long moments, Buffy simply sat in the backseat, silent tears rolling down her cheeks. Her present situation was the last thing on her mind as it paled mightily to Spike's betrayal. What really got her was that she wasn't even angry at him. She knew that she had been awful for leaving that night. What they shared had been special. Her whole view on sex and life had changed after their one encounter. And she'd known...or at least thought that it had been just as special for Spike. And that scared her.

So she bolted, and went right back to Angel. She hated herself for doing it, but after seeing him all over another girl she felt somewhat vindicated in her actions. She actually managed to convince herself that he had been playing her; that his sweetness, his caring had all been an act. She knew now that that wasn't the case. Only hours ago he had been yelling at her. Yet, as angry as he had been, he had been so attentive, so gentle with her.

It was her fault he was gone. She had driven him to it. And she couldn't find it in herself to hate him for leaving her.

Her stomach growled and she laughed.

"Wonder what it feels like to starve to death..." she said, almost casually. She reached into the front seat and checked her cell phone. It still had no service. A sound somewhere between a growl and a sob escaped her as she threw it across the car disgustedly.

Fresh tears pooled in her eyes and she threw her head back, desperately trying not to let them escape. She needed to stay calm and figure out what to do. She closed her eyes as her head hit the seat. Then suddenly, they were wide open again. She'd recognize that sound anywhere now.

"Spike," she whispered, jumping out of the car and into the road. Relief weakened her legs as she saw him approaching, even faster than he had the night before.

He was coming back for her! Her joy was short-lived however, when she realized what she must look like. She practically dove back into the car, checking her appearance in the mirror. Frantically, she grabbed for her purse and pulled out several tissues and began wiping the tears and sweat from her face. When she finished, she frowned at what she saw. Her face was splotchy and sweat had rid her of her make-up long ago.

Since there really wasn't anything to be done for it, she tossed the tissue down and stepped back out of the car. He was slowing down now, coming to a stop. He passed her and pulled off the road in front of her car. Buffy ran to meet him.

He was already off the bike by the time she got there. He barely had his helmet off before she was on him, her arms around his neck squeezing him tightly.

To say Spike was pleased would be an understatement. He half expected her to be miraculously gone when he got back. Far-fetched, yes. But his insecurities always did run deep. Instead, the girl of his dreams, the woman in all his fantasies was nearly squeezing the life out of him.

"Sorry I didn't make it back before you woke up, pet. I had a little trouble finding decent breakfast food."

She squeezed him tighter. He hadn't left her! He was coming back all along.

"You brought me breakfast?" She pulled back to smile at him.

"Course I did. Can of gas too...Have you been crying?"

She stiffened. "No." She abruptly pulled away, suddenly refusing to meet his eyes.

"You thought I left you out here, didn't you?" He tried to keep the accusing tone out of his voice, but it was difficult. After what they'd shared the night before, how could she think that of him?

"No. I mean...I didn't...I just woke up alone and figured...that you got what you wanted and left. And in the leaving, you also got y'know...even with me for leaving you..."
She trailed off, uncertain of what to expect.

"Buffy, look at me."

She took a deep breath and forced her gazed upward, dreading the look on his face. But instead of anger or pity or even contempt, she saw sympathy.

"He really did a number on you, didn't he pet?"

She turned her head again, not wanting him to see her shame. Angel had been a horrible mistake. For *years* the bastard had sworn his love and devotion. And when she finally submitted to him - gave herself to him completely - he betrayed her.

Without a word, he picked her up and deposited her on the seat of his motorcycle, placing a hand on either side of her and leaning in close.

"Look at me." He repeated his earlier order.

When she didn't comply, he reached up to stroke her cheek and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Buffy," he whispered.

Finally she looked at him, her eyes wide and wet.

"Why didn't you just wake me up? I could've gone with you."

"Only got one helmet, pet. And I don't really fancy your pretty little head all smushed."

She laughed, even as a few tears managed to spill over.

"Don't cry, kitten. Please. I'm not angry. Not at you anyway. Just that pillock you called a boyfriend. I ever see him again---"

"Don't." She put a finger to his lips to silence him. "I don't want to talk about Angel. I don't even want to think about Angel, okay?"

Spike licked his lips and fought back a growl. "Alright, sweet. We won't spoil our morning with talk of him." He smiled and leaned in to kiss her. Pulling back, he stared into her eyes. "Has anyone ever told you that you are absolutely gorgeous in the mornin' sun?'


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

An hour later, the couple once again lay together in the back seat of Buffy's car. After eating the doughnuts and juice Spike had brought back for them, they had somehow managed to get back in the backseat for another round of incredible sex.

Buffy stretched against him, feeling more at peace than she had in a long time. He had loved her slow this morning, worshipping every inch of her.

"Spike?"

"Hm?" He answered, pressing a kiss to her hair.

"I'm sorry. For before..."

"'S alright, kitten. You're tired and the last twenty-four hours have been rough, yeah? No hard feelin's, okay?"

"Not this morning. I mean, I *am* sorry for this morning... for doubting you. But I meant for leaving you. After our first time."

He didn't respond for a long time. When he finally did, his words freed her. "I forgave you for that a long time ago, Buffy."

"Thank you." She responded quietly.

After another long pause, Spike spoke again. He was getting uncomfortable. And much to accustomed to having her in his arms. This just would not do. "So pet, you ready to be on your merry way?"

"Yea," she somehow managed to sound more confident than she felt. "Ready to hit the road."

"Right then." He slid from beneath her and fastened his pants. "You get your cloths, uh...situated and I'll go gas the car up."

"Okay."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mere moments later, and much too soon for either of their tastes, Buffy was dressed and her car was running. Spike seemed different, suddenly. Distant. He had barely spoken since he left the backseat of her car.

"So," Spike tilted his head at her. "Where you headed?"

"Texas."

"What's in Texas?"

"It's more like what's *not* in Texas? And that would be my Dad." She sighed. "I'm going to stay with a friend for a few weeks. I wasn't really planning on going back to L.A., like ever..."

"But?" he asked as he pushed his bike into the road.

She smiled, leaning against her car. "My plans have changed. I mean, maybe there's something left for me in L.A. after all...?"

"Think so?"

"Yea, I mean---"

"You'll have to let me know how it all works out. I mean I hope it does, for you."

"Well, I was hoping...you'd be around for that. For the 'me going back to L.A.' thing." She looked so insecure and Spike could have kicked himself. That was it: his opening. But he couldn't take it. She had already hurt him enough. After everything that had happened back home, with Buffy; his on-again, off again girlfriend Dru; his many mistakes like Harmony and Amy. He had burned too many bridges back home. Hell, two days before graduation, his own father had kicked him out of his home. He never had learned to keep his mouth shut.

But more than all of that, he needed to be free. He had to get away from his past and make a new life for himself. At least now, after last night, his memories of Buffy would consist of more than waking up with nothing more than her scent on the pillow. He would remember her under him, surrounding him. Glowing and glistening in the moonlight. But more than that, he now knew what it was like to wake up with her in his arms. And that would have to be enough.

"So...you're not...I mean, you're leavin' L.A. for good then?"

"That's the plan."

"Where then?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "Didn't really have a destination in mind. I was just gonna keep ridin' 'til I found someplace worth stayin'."

"Oh.'

'Yea.'

Buffy sighed. She knew she didn't deserve another chance with him. But she really expected Spike to jump at the opportunity to see her again. She couldn't keep the disappointment out of her voice. "Well, thanks. You know, for everything. I should probably...get going."

"Yea, you should. Take care of yourself, Buffy."

She forced a smile. He felt his heart constrict.

Damn, she was gorgeous.

Sauntering over to the car, he leaned over for one last kiss. When he pulled away, they were both breathless.

"So?" his voice was barely above a whisper. "I guess I'll see you around then."

"Maybe someday we'll both make it back to L.A."

"Yea. Maybe." He sounded more confident that he felt. When he left L.A. yesterday he was so sure that he'd never set foot there again. And now, out of the blue was Buffy soddin' Summers, of all people giving him a reason to go back to Los Angeles... maybe for good.

Fuck it. No way. L.A. hurt too much. And no matter how pretty Buffy Summers was, or how good she made him feel, Spike forced himself to accept that she wasn't worth it. In the end she'd only hurt him again. She *wasn't* worth it.

Without another word, he turned and headed toward his bike. Taking a deep breath he climbed on and put on his helmet, never once giving Buffy a second glance. He moved to start the engine. Her voice stopped him.

"Spike."

He looked at her then.'Removing his helmet, he shielded his eyes. "Yea?"

"Just thought you might wanna know...you're a better lay than Angel."

Minx.

"Bloody right I am!" He grinned and she laughed.

Hell, maybe she was worth it.

With a final smile, Buffy put the car in drive. This time, his voice stopped her.

"Summers."

She looked over at him - all black leather and attitude. Sweat poured from his golden tipped curls down his face and his white t-shirt clung to the wet muscles of his chest and stomach.

Damn.

"Yea?"

"You uh...You think you might need an escort to Texas?"

It took a full second for his words to sink in. It was the longest second of his life. Then she smiled.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


That's all folks. This fic was never meant to go any furthur than this. However I may do a prequel showing *exactly* how Buffy and Spike got together for the first time - it depends on the interest for it, I guess.
Also, I want to thank sammie for catching an error I made. I appreciate it !
Again, thank you all for reading.