"When Edana was able to clear this place of all things evil, she left as well. But before she departed, she broke the Gem into four pieces and scattered them in four areas of this world. And when I say scattered, I mean it. It would take weeks just to get one piece, let alone four."

They all sat around the table, listening to Wally who stood close to Gretta. For a jolly man, he looked spooked. His rosy cheeks became pale and his eyes were wide with anxiety.

"So, this Gem will put these demons at bay?" Faith asked.

"That, and it will also open up a portal to get you all back home. You'll be taking the demons with you, I'm afraid," Wally said.

"Not like we aren't used to it," Faith said.

"I hate to say it, but you will all have to split up in order to retrieve the pieces of the Gem. This way will be faster," Wally informed them.

Buffy stood up and walked over in between Spike and Angel. "Fine. We'll split up in small groups. Some will stay here and protect the village, make sure the demon activity is under control." Buffy said.

Wally scanned them all. "Thank you. It might be smart to have this one and that one stay here, you know, as to not stand out too much on the road. Wally said, pointing to Illyria and Lorne. "And for the rest of you, there is much to learn about the places you are about to travel to."


The journey will begin at morning. Giles would stay up to make sure everything remained calm while they all slept. He was weary of the adventure they were all about to embark. This was a strange new place and they had no idea what to expect. Wally filled them in on most of the history, but now that demons were scattered about... He took a sip of the tea Gretta had so graciously made for him. It was still early. Giles wasn't sure how long he'd last keeping watch, but he had no choice. He was to remain at the Inn and stand guard with Lorne and Illyria.

Willow, and Kennedy were to head east. It was the easiest route, mainly through thick forests and nothing too dangerous should be in their path. They were to visit the city of Bruthem, where a piece of the Gem would be protected by a high priestess. Wally informed them that she may be hard to convince of why they needed it. She was the guardian, after all. Of course, Kennedy assured them that it wouldn't be a problem.

Xander and Issa were headed west. A pretty easy route as well, according to Wally. It was straight and flat and they would be passing many towns to rest their head. They were going to find the gem piece in an old temple near a beach. Wally didn't know the exact location, knowledge like that was never revealed. But he gave them the description of the building. They were to look for a large white temple with four bells on the roof, all painted gold. He said the bells rang twice a day. Once at 6 am, then again at 6 pm.

Faith and Angel were to embark on the southern route. This path was extremely hostile. Wally told them of the village of Gustor. He warned them that although their world has been demon-less, some locals are less than welcoming, and may even become dangerous if crossed. Angel and Faith smiled at the challenge. The gem piece was located in the heart of the village. When asked where exactly, Wally chuckled. He informed them that the gem piece was embedded in the collar of a ferocious lion who belonged to a warrior. Of course Faith shrugged it off.

And lastly, Spike and Buffy were going north into the mountains. Wally said this would most likely be the worst trek of them all. He said the mountains were unforgiving and harsh. There won't be any towns or people around for miles, save for one village named Rostin. He said this would be the last place they could get food and rest before heading through the treacherous mountainside. The gem is inside an abandoned church. The church stood alone in the midst of the range, only to be left behind by the locals. It was far too dangerous to hike up there and the priests were dying left and right of either starvation or wild animals, except for one priest. He was known as the Great Protector, and he kept the gem piece close to his heart. Wally eased them with the knowledge that this old priest was kind, and should pose no problem. All they had to do was tell him the situation, and he'd be too eager to help them.

This journey that lay before them would have them gone for weeks. Giles had high hopes for their safe return and he felt confident that he could hold down the fort while they were gone. Gretta had already put together sacks of food and canteens filled with water for them. Wally urged them all to sleep well, for this may be the last night they do so.


Buffy sat with Faith on her bed as they talked. Illyria paced the room, half listening to them. Her movement began to irritate Faith so she turned to her and threw her hands in the air.

"Blue, can you just stand still for like one minute?" Faith asked her.

Illyria's head spun to face Faith. "What would one minute of me standing still accomplish?"

Faith rolled her eyes. "Fine, how about for one hour?"

"Illyria, why don't you sit, tell us about... your L.A. Adventures." Buffy was really just fishing for more information about what Spike was doing there and what kind of big bads they had to deal with, and how Angel reacted to everything.

Illyria sat on her bed, across from them and smirked. "When I took this vessel, I was being held by Angel and his people. After my Qwa'ha Xahn was killed, Wesley and Angel assisted with helping me live. Spike tested my abilities."

"Your what?" Buffy asked her, referring to the Qwa'ha Xahn.

Illyria , now annoyed, turned to Buffy. "What information are you are seeking?"

Buffy sighed. "I don't know. Never mind." Buffy realized she wasn't going to get anywhere with Illyria. She was such a strange being, she couldn't imagine what it would have been like for Angel and his gang to see her like this. Still, it bothered Buffy that so much had happened in this last year that she had no idea about. She remembered hearing about Illyria from Giles, but the details were vague and to be honest, she wasn't paying much attention to it. Now, she wanted to know every detail of this past year at Wolfram and Hart.

Illyria stood and moved to the window. Her head tilted a little, then she turned back to Buffy as if she understood what it was she needed. "He talked about you all the time. He wanted to see you and Angel would argue with him about it." Illyria turned back to the scenery outside.

Buffy smiled. It was what she needed to hear.


Buffy roamed the hallway, unable to sleep. She came upon the room Spike and Angel shared and jumped when she saw the door open.

"Buffy?" Spike asked, looking behind him to a sleeping Angel.

"Sorry, I couldn't sleep," Buffy confessed.

Spike quietly left the room and closed the door softly. "Me neither."

"I was thinking about maybe going downstairs to sit by the fire. Watching flames sometimes makes me sleepy. Wanna join me?" Buffy said.

"Alright," Spike agreed, happily.

As he turned towards the stairs Buffy grabbed his wrist. "Wait."

Spike met her gaze. "What is it, luv?"

Buffy's cheeks flushed and her stomach was in knots. She hated these moments and usually avoided them at all cost but she couldn't now. Spike deserved an explanation as to why she didn't share a room with him.

"It's not like I didn't want to sleep in the same room, Spike. I would love it, actually. It's just... weird , you know, with everyone here and..." Buffy cringed knowing how absurd and insulting it sounded.

"I get it, Buffy. We aren't exactly couple of the year. Are we even a couple?" Spike asked, knowing already what she was going to say.

"I... don't know. I haven't thought about what to call... us. After everything in this last week, I..." , she stammered.

"Then whatever this is... what we are... will need it to flourish, I suppose. I'm in no rush, even though I am part of this mortal coil now. " Spike joked.

Buffy giggled and took hold of his hand. This gave Spike a reassured feeling and they both smiled as they made their way downstairs.


Spike and Buffy sat by the fire with Giles near them in a chair by the window. Wally had brought over a few history books for Giles to read. It wasn't the most exciting subject, but he figured it would be a good idea to learn more about where they were. Giles had already argued with them about not sleeping, and how imperative it was to get rest before they left in the morning. Buffy explained that it wouldn't matter if she were down here, or in bed. She couldn't sleep.

A few hours passed. By then Illyria, Xander, and Willow joined them by the fire. Even Gretta was up making them all hot cocoa. They sat around listening to Illyria tell stories of her glory days as the Great Old One. Giles found the subject enticing. He had to remind himself that he was actually hearing these stories from someone that was actually there. Before humans took over, that is. Xander looked most intrigued, though. In his mind she was like a great super hero from some nether world, probably from some weird comic book fantasy he had.

"I am kind of excited about our trip tomorrow! I mean, this place looks so beautiful. There's probably so much to see!" Willow said.

"Yea, and maybe we'll meet up with a stranger who calls himself 'Strider' and he'll aid us, yet be torn between his destiny and..." Xander was cut off by Issa knocking him in the head.

"Ow!" he yelped. "Guys, we're going to be gone a long time. It's weird considering we have no idea where we're even going," Xander said.

"You're going on a quest to help us get back home and help Wally's world be rid of demons!" Giles said.

Xander, Buffy, and Willow chuckled at him. Giles looked around, to spot what they were laughing at. "What?" he asked.

"It's just... Wally's World... 'Wally World', you know, Vacation with Chevy Chase..," Xander giggled.

Giles looked lost and rolled his eyes as they starting singing the Marty Moose song.