Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter contains angst. As such, here are the warnings in hopes no one flames me... please read. William is no where to be seen in the latter part of this chapter. Everything is consensual. This is no where near canon in any way, I’ve taken liberties with everything. Remember Buffy and Spike’s ‘safety’ word? It’s important. Thanks to Karbear57, Dusty273 and Beasleysmom for all their help. The muse had a difficult time cooperating. I’m spending the week on vacation out of state for thanksgiving with my dear sister, whose husband is also currently serving in Iraq. I’ll have internet access and answer reviews, but plan on relaxing and spending some quality time with my family. I originally planned on dividing this chapter into 2 due to its length but decided against it, especially since I can’t predict when I’ll post next. Happy turkey day to all and enjoy.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It took a moment for William to realize exactly where he was when he woke up. The tickling sensation under his nose and the sight of golden blonde hair as he looked down brought him back. Looking to his left, he spied a clock on the wall, 2:30, SHIT! Lord knows he didn’t want to leave, but he had to. He needed to get back to his place and get ready for his shift at the restaurant.

Being careful not to wake his sleeping beauty, he moved off the couch slowly then promptly went to the basement to retrieve his clothes, hurriedly changing. Coming back into the living room he found Buffy still asleep. With a heavy heart he sighed. He wanted to say goodbye but couldn’t bring himself to wake her. Looking around, he tidied up the clothes that were strewn across the floor then went to her kitchen in search of paper and a pen. If he couldn’t tell her he would at least leave a note.

Finding what he needed, he smiled as he wrote a few lines and signed his name. He left it on her coffee table so she would be sure to find it and made a last minute decision to take one small item of hers as a memento of their wonderful night together. Swinging his duster over his shoulder he strode back to the couch silently and knelt down on one knee.

“Until we meet again. Sweet dreams, kitten.” He kissed her lips gently, letting them linger for a moment then pulled away. He felt as if his heart were breaking. Unless she asked to see him again... then she wouldn’t; not until the restaurant was his. Once he had that he could woo her properly. A man needed a means to support a woman no matter how much money she had in her bank account or how successful she was in her chosen career; it simply wasn’t proper.

Standing, he did his best not to look back at her for fear of staying and calling in sick to work. He carefully turned the lock on the door handle so she was safely locked inside and made his way towards his motorcycle, walking it down a block before firing it up to leave, ever mindful of not disturbing her peaceful slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mmmm, William.” Her hand reached out but there was nothing there to grasp, causing her eyes to flutter open.

Nothing. Sitting up she looked around, called out his name a couple more times before realizing he was no longer there. Did he really just leave her there, with no goodbye?

She sat up and looked around. The first thing she noticed was the pile of clothes, neatly folded on the table, reminding her she was still half naked. Reaching for her sweatpants, her hand came into contact with a piece of paper. Lifting it up, she saw William’s name signed at the bottom and read aloud...

“Buffy,

Please don’t be mad with me for leaving while you slept. I had to hurry off to work and you looked so peaceful I couldn’t bring myself to wake you. I want to thank you for last night. There aren’t words to describe neither just how special it was nor how special you are to me. I hope to see you soon.

Yours,
William”


Folding the note, she set it aside and sighed. Instead of feeling happy at his words, dread grip her chest. Which job did he have to hurry off to, the one he performed for Lorne or his regular job? Shaking her head, she tried to convince herself it was the latter.

“Where the hell is my underwear?” Searching around the room, she noticed he’d picked everything up and left it on her table, including the clothes she’d lent him. “Humph.” Dismissing it, she headed to the basement to fold her laundry, trying to convince herself he wasn’t running off into another woman’s arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

William made it to work on time but not before calling Lorne to say it was important that they talk later that night.

The hours passed slowly and the enjoyment he usually experienced from cooking was not to be had. His mind was occupied with trying to figure out how to make the rest of the money needed to obtain the restaurant. It turned his stomach to even think about sleeping with another woman now that he was in love. Antonio wouldn’t need him at the restaurant more than he already was and asking Uncle Rupert for the money was out of the question. His Uncle would be more than glad but he vowed to make his own way. By the end of his shift, the only solution he could see was to take a second job. His sleep would suffer, but at least it would be an honest way of reaching his goal and he could quit once he’d made enough. Now he just hoped he could find something quick that paid enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m surprised you didn’t quit any sooner.” Lorne crossed one leg over the other and sipped at his drink, pleased with Spike’s decision.

“So you’re not upset?”

“Why would I be? After you serenaded me I knew it was only a matter of time.”

“I’ll find another job and finish raisin’ the money for Grisanti’s. Might take some time but...”

“No need,” he shook his head and sat up straight. “Got one for ya.” He laughed when William raised a questioning eyebrow. “It’s still for Rencontre Travaillée mind you, but in a much different capacity.”

“`M listenin’.” This was not something he’d expected.

“When it comes to the girls that work for me, they reserve the right to refuse the clients I set them up with.”

“Huh, didn’ know that.” Of course he never paid much attention to any of Lorne’s other employees, save for the interaction he’d had with Parker and Angelus, both of which rubbed him the wrong way.

“See, every time a new client calls and I don’t have an opportunity to meet them or hear them sing, well, for all I know they could be a serial rapist, murderer, etc. So for the girls’ protection, the client is required to meet them in a public place. I normally send Gunn or someone else along with them to hang out in the background, act as back up just in case anything does go wrong. But since he will be leaving my employment soon, I need a replacement for him. So, what say you to becoming a bodyguard? Your duty is simple really. Go in and observe the interaction and wait till you get the okay from the girls. Naturally if YOU don’t get a good vibe from any one of these guys there’s a code you use to let them know you don’t think it’s safe and they’re to leave with you at once, no questions asked.”

“Would I be packin’?” He hoped not, he didn’t need to get in trouble by carrying a weapon illegally.

“No, it’s not necessary. You’ll be in public and chances are a brawl is the most that would occur if the guy was a real threat.”

“I can handle it then, yeah. How often would I be workin’?”

“Oh, you’ll have plenty of work and though the pay isn’t near what an escort’s is, you get to keep all of it. I recently checked the financial situation and honestly, you’re only going to need, oh let’s say, somewhere around seven or eight jobs I’d say. We’re actually ahead of schedule for buying the restaurant.”

“Ya don’ say.” He paid no attention to his earnings from Rencontre Travaillée; he considered it dirty money even though it would buy him his dream.

Lorne set his drink down and leaned onto his desk, a serious expression on his face.

“So, what becomes of Spike?”

“He’s jus’ a tool, an act. He’s in the past now, mate.” He was thrown by the odd question.

“Don’t you think Buffy would miss him?”

“`M not quite followin’ you.” Indeed he wasn’t. In his mind, Spike had no part in the equation where Buffy was concerned.

“I beg to differ, my friend. Spike is who Buffy met first AND is an integral part of who she knows now.”

William leaned back in his chair and frowned. Lorne was right. Buffy had only seen bits and pieces of William at select moments. Spike, however, had always been there with her. In reality, she knew very little of the man he really was and that was because he’d chosen not to let her in for fear she wouldn’t like him. Seeing things in this new light was disturbing. Spike was everything William wasn’t and it irritated him to think Buffy liked any part of him.

“He’s someone you helped me invent, Lorne, I’ve got no use for him anymore.”

Picking up on the annoyance that tinged his friend’s voice, Lorne chuckled and shook his head. “Spike is very much a part of who you are; a part of your personality. He’s always been there; I just helped draw him out. I understand you don’t need the side of him that worked for me and all his charms, but he has some very admirable and useful qualities that would be a shame to throw away.” He could see William wasn’t convinced, so he asked him one very important question. “How do you plan to court the lovely Miss Buffy?”

William ran his fingers through his hair and sighed heavily. “I have no bloody idea. All I know is she’s the one and I won’t give up until she’s either mine or decides she can’ love me.”

“From what you’ve told me, it’s clear she feels something for both of you. But she will need to learn more, EVERYTHING actually, so her heart can decide whether or not to fall in love.”

“So when that time comes, you’re sayin’ Spike might come in handy?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying. Speaking of the right time, when ARE you going to tell Buffy? About the restaurant, your job... all of it?”

As Lorne listened on, he couldn’t disagree more with his friend. He understood his reasons, but as ‘noble’ as William thought them to be, all Lorne could smell was disaster the longer he waited. He tried to convince him otherwise, but his friend was stubborn, refusing to see it any other way but his own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy called Lorne that afternoon, letting him know to charge her for an overnight stay with Spike.

“Everything went well I trust?”

Better than well, that’s the problem, she thought. But be that as it may, Spike was still Lorne’s employee and as such she couldn’t allow herself to fully invest in the feelings she was starting to have for him.

“Everything was great, Lorne, thanks.”

“Good to hear. However, being the jealous type that I am, I insist we get together soon.”

“What are you doing this Wednesday night, say around 8:00?”

“Oh the usual; hanging out at the club, catering to the patrons and keeping my staff in line.”

“Do you think you can break away for one night and come to Sunnydale? It’s my birthday and my friends and I are getting together. I would so love it if you could come.”

“Birthday!” he cried enthusiastically, “It’s my honey bunny’s birthday this Wednesday? Oh the injustice of it all. Karaoke night is being moved to Wednesday nights starting this week and if I didn’t HAVE to be here for it, I’d be in Sunnydale celebrating the night away with you. I’m so sorry muffin, but I know a way I can make it up to you.”

“It’s no big, Lorne. I understand what it’s like being married to your business.” What was it about this karaoke anyway?

“Since I can’t be there for your birthday, you simply MUST come to the Halloween party I’m having here at The-Hide-Away this Saturday night where you shall have my undivided attention. I have no other obligation except to dress up and party since nearly the whole of my staff will be running the show. Please say you’ll be here, sugar lips? I will arrange for you to stay at Le Hermitage or you can stay at my place of you like. We’ll dance the night away. Oh, and bring your friends too, I would simply LOVE to meet them and I’ll make arrangements for them as well to stay the night in LA. Hey, any chance I could get you to dress up as my sexy love slave?”

She giggled, “Sounds like fun, count me in. I’ll see if I can get my friends to come and let you know. As for the sex slave thing, not so sure, but I’ll come dressed up as something, I promise.”

“Oh that’s wonderful, and of course I’ll have your birthday present waiting here for you when you arrive.”

“You don’t have to get me anything, Lorne.”

“Hush now, I have just the thing in mind and you’ll hurt my feelings if you don’t accept,” he whined.

They chatted away for another five minutes before Buffy hung up the phone. She sat on the couch for awhile deep in thought, the events of the last two nights replaying themselves in her mind. She wanted so badly for William to confide in her yet he didn’t. He must have his reasons. Not wanting to dwell on thinking about it any longer, she decided to head back into work. There was a lot she should be doing that Anya couldn’t and perhaps it would keep her mind off William.

When she arrived at the gallery, Anya picked right up on her mood and had initially pressed her for details once it came out that her ‘one night stand’ had showed up again. Buffy thwarted her efforts, however, saying there was nothing more than sex happening between them.

“Nothing more than sex? Right, and I’m the ‘Virgin Mary’,” that made Buffy snort with laughter. “Well, when you’re ready to talk about it, I’ll be here. Until then, I’d say you were acting like a woman in love.” She raised an eyebrow at Buffy’s retort.

“I so am not.”

“Keep telling yourself that Buffy, you’re as easy to read as a child’s book.”

After Anya walked off, she huffed indignantly. She cared for William yes, but in love with him? No, that couldn’t happen, not yet anyway.

Figures the slut would be of no use in defending her.

---You have to give the man a chance. It’s obvious he cares but there’s a lot more going on than what Lorne told us.

If he cared then he would have told me about his other job, told me what’s so important that he whores himself out.

---Ouch! That’s harsh, even for you, Miss Goody Two-Shoes. Give him a chance and keep in mind the man who spent time with you recently.


Buffy tried to clear her head. She didn’t feel like defending herself from either Anya’s accusation or her inner slut’s.

---Oh that’s rich. Coming from a woman who argues with herself!

Erghh! Go away.

---Fine, have it your way. But don’t hold me responsible when things come crashing down because you chose not to listen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arriving at the Bronze shortly after 8:00 that Wednesday, Buffy was instantly greeted with bright smiles and hugs from all her friends. Sure as her word, Willow had the whole gang there waiting for her, two tables reserved with piles of presents and a small cake.

Xander, Cordelia, Amy, Eve, even Andrew had shown. Everyone had sang happy birthday and stood by as she ripped open her presents. By the time they’d finished the cake, everyone headed out to the dance floor except for Anya and her. She sat back and sipped on her daiquiri, smiling and enjoying herself immensely.

“Wow, total hottie nine o’clock sharp,” Anya announced. “Wouldn’t mind getting some of that.”

Buffy turned in the direction of her stare but couldn’t see anything.

“Up at the bar,” Anya pointed, “platinum hair, dressed all in black.”

Just as her friend finished speaking she saw him. There was William, leaning against the bar taking a sip from the beer bottle he held in his left hand, his right elbow leaning on the chair as he stared out over the dance floor. Her heart skipped a beat as she continued to stare, ignoring Anya’s rant until it came back around to another sexual implication. She swung her head back and looked at her friend.

“Whoa. You know him, don’t you?”

“N-no.” How the hell does she pick up on these things?

“Hey,” she raised her arms in defense, “I know a ‘hands off’ look when I see one, it’s written all over your face. Speaking of the look on your face,” she made quotation marks with her fingers, “I’d say he’s the ‘one night stand’ that’s been giving you many orgasms... on more than just one night.”

Buffy didn’t see any point in denying it, but she couldn’t tell Anya everything either.

“You’re right, he is.” She sighed, “Anya, I wish I could tell you what’s been going on lately, but... I don’t even know what’s going on between him and me... if anything.” She watched her friend’s face soften to one of understanding.

“Buffy, you think too much.” She placed a hand over hers and bluntly told her, “Shut up and go get your man.” She patted her hand then sat back looking smug.

Smiling, Buffy stood and headed in William’s direction. She didn’t think twice about rushing over to see him. He would be happy to see her, she knew it. As she made her way through the crowd, she saw him talking to someone on his right. It wasn’t until she’d almost reached him that she saw a scantily dressed brunette whispering something in his ear, making him laugh. When he turned his head forward, he caught her eye, looking clearly surprised.

“Buffy!” He was caught off guard by her sudden presence, but was clearly ecstatic to see her. “What brings you here, luv?” He saw her smile quickly turn to a scowl. “Buffy?”

“I would ask you the same thing, but it’s quite apparent as to why you’re here.” She nodded her head in the other girl’s direction. “Don’t let me keep you from your job... SPIKE!” She turned around and wormed her way through the crowd as fast as possible.

“Me-OW! Take it that’s Buffy?” Seeing his crestfallen look she encouraged him. “Go on, go after her and explain, she’ll understand.”

He turned to her and frowned, “Thanks Faith, but I can’ leave you alone till your bloke shows up.”

“I’ll be fine, Spike rea...”

“No! `M not leavin’ `til `m sure the guy checks out. Lorne would never forgive me if somethin’ happened to you and neither could I.” He shook his head emphatically.

“Whatever you say.” She shrugged. She could see he was torn between his duty to perform the job he was hired for and his feelings for the girl who’d ran off after getting the wrong impression.

From the other end of the bar, a dark figure watched the brief interaction between his main rival and the petite blonde. He could practically feel the sparks of jealousy on the woman’s end and felt an opportunity present itself. Spike obviously cared enough about the cute blonde to look bent out of shape, so he figured he’d have a bit of fun at Spike’s expense. Setting his beer down, he darted around to the other end of the dance floor and intercepted the girl in question.

“Oomph. Sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going.” She had to strain her head up to see the man whose chest she ran into. He smiled down at her.

“That’s alright, my fault entirely.” He took a step back and introduced himself. “The name’s Angelus.” He offered her his hand.

She took his hand and shook it, “Buffy.” She watched as the good looking brunette turned her hand over and kissed it.

“Care to dance? Or are you too much in a hurry trying to get away from someone?”

“What? No. I mean yeah, I mean no.”

He chuckled at her. “Look, its okay if you don’t want to dance. I understand if your boyfriend wouldn’t appreciate it, I just couldn’t help but notice you seemed to have caught him with another woman.”

“He’s NOT my boyfriend. Matter of fact... he’s no one.” She threw him a bright smile. “I’d love to dance.” Right away, there was something about this guy she didn’t like. Maybe it was the fact he’d seen what happened and was using it as a chance to hit on her. She decided to ignore it and take advantage of the situation it offered her instead. If Spike saw fit to go fuck the skanky looking brunette who’d hired him, at least she could make him think she didn’t care.

As the slow, sexy beat of a new song filtered through the club, she led Angelus by the hand towards the center of the dance floor. Turning her back towards him, she raised her hands above her head and swayed her hips in time to the music, enticing him into an erotic dance.

Faith’s client showed up right after Spike’s declaration to stay by her side. Sliding down two chairs away from them, he listened in to their conversation while his eyes scanned the place for any signs of Buffy. When his eyes finally landed on her his heart seized in his chest. It was not only who she was dancing with but how that had him seeing red.

“Spike, did you hear me?” He felt a hand tug on his coat sleeve. “I said I’m good to go. I’ll catch you later. Hope everything works out fo... Oh shit.” When she saw what Spike was looking at, she knew there would be trouble. Angelus was well known for two things; his twisted idea of sex and his hatred of Spike. When she turned back to say something he was already gone, all but pushing his way through the crowd to get to Buffy.

Buffy turned around and wound her arms around Angelus’ neck, allowing him to slip his hand down low. That’s exactly when they were interrupted.

“Excuse me, mate, but you’re dancin’ with my girl.” No way was Angelus going to get his sadistic mitts on Buffy.

Angelus turned an arrogant, unsurprised look towards Spike.

“Really?” his tone dripped with sarcasm. Any opportunity to knock ‘Captain Peroxide’ off his horse was a welcome one. “Funny, cuz if she was your girl, she wouldn’t be dancing with me right now, would she?” He turned his back to Spike, ignoring him completely in lieu of the woman who was clearly ready to take advantage of the situation to make his main rival jealous.

As childish as it seemed, Buffy was pleased her little show got Spike’s attention. When he spoke, she chose to ignore him and keep her attention focused on Angelus instead. If he’d chosen to ignore her she would have turned up the bump and grind–o-meter with her handsome dancing partner.

His blood was past the boiling point. Buffy didn’t say a word. Matter of fact, she made no attempt to even acknowledge him, quite content it seemed, to let Angelus answer for her. He tapped his shoulder again, but before he could say a word, Angelus spoke.

"Can’t you see I’m working here?” He let go of Buffy, acting dramatically annoyed for her benefit, hoping it would serve his new goal in taking the blonde home with him for a night of fun. “I can’t imagine why you’re so concerned with this beautiful lady here. I mean really, Spike. Why don’t you toddle on back to that hot little brunette number you were hitting on and leave us be... MATE! "

Ok, yes, it was clear these two knew each other, but uncaring as to the how, her desire to goad him overwhelmed any rational thought.

“Yeah, SPIKE. Why don’t you go back to your JOB. I’m not paying you to care... and who I leave with is none of your business.”

“Buffy, he’s not who you think he is... he works for Lorne.” He truly feared for her knowing what Angelus’ idea of a good time was, plus she was his girl.

“Does it look like I care?”

“Buffy. If you go home with him tonight... he WON’T stop when you cry ‘Uncle’.”

“Who says I’m going to?”

Wrong answer. His nostrils flared; there was no hiding the rage he felt over her flippant statement. The words flew out of his mouth before he could think.

“Well then, luv, maybe he should be paying you.”

Her mouth dropped open in shock. How could he say such a thing? His hurtful words cut her to the core. In her anger, she brought her right hand across his jaw with all her might.

‘SLAP’.

Angelus began laughing hysterically. “That’s gonna leave a mark.”

The look on Spike’s face told her he instantly regretted what he’d said. Too late.

Rage quickly filled the wound from her stinging blow to his cheek. His eyes followed her as she walked away and the sound of Angelus’ clapping filled his ears.

“You’re quite the charmer, Spike. Let me guess. You fell in love with a client... didn’t you? Can’t say as I blame you, she looks like she’d be quite the... what’s the word you use for it? Oh yes, SHAG. Am I right?”

He’d heard enough. Without hesitation his fist connected with Angelus’ jaw, knocking him out cold. He didn’t bother looking back, satisfied when he heard the dull thump of the stupid git’s body hit the floor along with gasps from the surrounding crowd. His eyes were trained on following Buffy. No way was he going to let her go this time without hearing him out. They’d been down that road before and he knew her stubborn streak. She was ‘his girl’ and he’d be damned if she wasn’t going to listen to what he had to say.

When Buffy reached the table where Anya sat, she grabbed her purse and announced her intentions to leave. Little did she know Anya saw everything go down from the moment her friend reached the bar. She couldn’t hear what was being said, but it didn’t take a genius to figure it all out. When the platinum blonde arrived seconds after her friend left she merely pointed towards the door, nodding vigorously while smiling.

“She went that way.”

If he wasn’t on a mission, he would have asked why this apparent friend of hers bothered telling him where Buffy went, but there was no time to waste.

She heard the door hit the brick wall from being flung open and his voice shouting for her to stop. She didn’t, wouldn’t, she’d been through enough tonight and continued towards the front of the club to get to her car.

“Buffy, stop!” He ran to catch up with her, grabbing her arm the moment she was within reach. He pulled her into a darkened alleyway and pushed her against the wall forcefully.

“You’re gonna hear me out whether you want to or not. And when you do, you’re gonna feel like the stupid bint you are.”

“Let go of me, Spike.” She struggled but he held her fast.

“Damnit, Buffy, shut your gob! You WILL listen to me! That girl you saw me with isn’ a client, she WORKS for Lorne. I was there with her tonight as a bodyguard until she met with the bloke who hired her... for her protection.” He calmed a little and let her arms go, feeling better for telling his side of the story.

She stood still, letting his words sink in. He said he’d never lie to her and his eyes told her he spoke the truth. Guilt instantly filled her, especially when she saw the clear red imprint of her hand on his left cheek. But that mark also reminded her why she’d struck him in the first place. He had no right to say such a cruel thing to her. As if reading her mind, he addressed the issue.

“`M sorry for the remark I made back there. I didn’ mean it. Angelus is a twisted psychopath when it comes to sex. And the thought of you... wait a minute,” his lips curved into a smile, “You were tryin’ to make me jealous.” The look of shock on her face didn’t fool him one bit. His girl was jealous, which meant she cared.

“Don’t flatter yourself, that wasn’t...”

Curling his tongue behind his teeth and giving her a cocky smirk, he leaned in closer to her face to interrupt her.

“Yes, you were.” His lips touched her ear as he confessed. “Don’ worry, it worked.” She shoved him back. Like he expected her to admit it openly?

“Uhhh. You’re bent.”

He laughed at her. His girl was a feisty one no doubt, and he loved her for it. He slowly moved back into her personal space, pleased that she wasn’t trying to get away.

“Yeah. Made you scream, didn’ it?” Stifling her protest, he plundered her mouth, pushing his tongue inside to taste hers. Oh, she fought him... a little. But that ended as quickly as it had begun and soon her arms were around his neck, drawing him in even closer.

This is insane. Her body belied this thought, however, unable to help itself as it responded to his. He snaked an arm around her waist and yanked her flush against him. She could feel how hard he was and it sent a delicious ache of desire to pulse between her thighs.

He broke the kiss and nuzzled her neck roughly. Lowering his hand from her waist to her thigh, he shoved her skirt out of the way and pulled her up leg, wrapping it around his hip. “Tell me you weren’ gonna take him home. Tell me you weren’ gonna let him touch wha’s mine.”

Panting from his kisses, she spoke with conviction, her anger warring against her body’s need for him.

“Who the hell are you to tell me who I can and can’t sleep with?” She knew she’d said the wrong thing when he pushed her back into the wall. His face leveled with hers, pinning her with a stare that told her he meant what he was about to say.

“No one touches you but me. You’re mine, Buffy.”

“Yeah, whenever I’m paying for it.”

His features hardened, instantly making her regret what she’d said. Her eyes searched his for the man she’d been with a couple days ago, but William was nowhere to be found in their icy blue depths.

Pouring all the mad fury of his passion into a bruising kiss, he gripped her shoulders and pushed her tiny form harder into the cold bricks of the alley wall. Her words denied her passion for him, but her body couldn’t lie as it responded even to this rough treatment. With her leg still hooked around his hip, he could feel her using what leverage she could to desperately rub her core against his erection. Pulling back, he begged her.

“Come home with me.” He leaned his forehead against hers, feeling her hot breath on his lips as she struggled for air.

“Why would I want to do that?”

He slid a hand under her ass and curled his fingers around the crotch of her panties, grazing her nether lips, causing her to shudder before ripping them away from her body. She gasped as his fingers sought out her opening, pushing two of them deep inside.

She was positively beautiful as he watched her throw her head against the wall, eyes closed, moans of desire escaping her kiss swollen lips.

“Because you want this as much as I do... and its got nothin’ to do with money, pet.” Latching on to her throat, he licked and nipped at her before begging her again, “Come home with me. I’ll give you what you need, baby... what we both want.”

“N-no.” Her lust was spiraling out of control but she wouldn’t acquiesce to his plea. God only knows how many women he’d taken in his bed and she refused to be one more. “I can’t do that, I’m sorry but I can’t.”

He couldn’t accept her answer, he was past the point of wanting her, of needing her; this was about possession. He moved in to kiss her with as much passion as he could, pumping his fingers in and out of her sweet channel, driving her need to match his own.

She pushed her anger aside and her body against his fingers, needing more, just a little more to make her cum. She damned herself for wanting him so badly, for giving herself over to the pleasure only he was capable of giving her.

When he could no longer breathe he broke the kiss.

“Buffy, I don’ wanna have to take you in an alley.” He paused to cock his head to one side then spoke matter-of-factly. “But that doesn’ mean I won’.”

They stared at each another for one very, very brief moment, both too eager to wait any longer.

“Yes,” she whispered, uncaring at the moment of the emotional repercussions it would have.

He brusquely spun her around and placed her hands against the wall front of her. Rubbing his erection into her bottom until she was writhing against him, he pulled on her hip with one hand and flipped her skirt up with the other.

Keeping her hands where he’d left them, she felt the cold autumn air hit her bottom before being replaced with the warmth from his hands as he kneaded her roughly.

“Would you like me to make you cum, kitten?” Hearing her breathy reply of ‘yes’ pleased him very much, but he wanted to be sure that she knew what she was getting herself into. “There will be nothin’ slow and gentle `bout it this time, Buffy. You need to be reminded I’m the only one who can make you feel this good, bring your body the satisfaction it needs. No other man but me can do this for you. You remember that next time you even THINK about takin’ anyone else home to your bed.”

“Oh, God.” She looked over her shoulder and saw him sink to his knees. Spreading her cheeks apart with his hands, he placed the flat of his tongue against her clit and licked her entire length, all the way up to her lower back. She closed her eyes, never noticing he’d stood until she heard the sound of his zipper and felt the head of his cock against her opening, the knuckles of his fingers pressing into her clit as he held himself there.

“Need you, kitten, need you so bad. Missed you, missed this.” Pushing forward, he felt her muscles tighten around the tip of his shaft just as he let go of it. Wrapping an arm about her waist he leaned his head against hers until he felt her somewhat relax. Pushing ever so slowly inside of her, it surprised him when she unexpectedly pushed back, taking his entire length inside in one quick motion.

“AHHHH!” She had the presence of mind to know he was trying not to hurt her by entering too fast, but her body shoved any rational thought aside in its greed to have him. The grip to her waist tightened and he held them both still, his cock buried deep inside her.

“Careful now, luv. Don’ wanna hurt my girl.” He kissed her hair and tried to establish a slow rhythm, working her until he could take her hard. A sudden noise to their left startled them. “Ssshhhh,” he whispered into her ear.

She felt the leather from his duster brush her legs as he sought to conceal her body from any onlookers. The voices grew closer and they watched in silence as a group of guys walked past them, clearly drunk and oblivious to what was happening in the darkened corner of the alley. When they were out of sight his hips began moving, every slow thrust increasing the swell of need in her belly.

“Please,” she choked.

“Please what? Tell me what you want, baby.”

“Make me cum, Spike.”

The use of that name, the fact she hadn’t called him William once that night both hurt and frustrated him. He tried to remember what Lorne had said, about Spike being a part of who he was, about using those qualities that were of value.

“Oh I will, luv, I will. But first tell me,” he took long, deep strokes, trying to coax her into saying what he needed to hear. “Whose girl are you, who do you belong to?” When she didn’t respond right away, he stopped and pulled out.

It didn’t matter that she wanted to belong to him, it was the fact he had no right to ask. He didn’t belong to her, not while he was still working for Lorne, so how could he ask her this?

“Please.” Don’t make me say it. “I-I... OHH!” Without any warning he plunged back inside of her. Every time he pulled out he’d pause before slamming back inside her as hard as he could, grunting with the effort of his thrusts, setting every nerve in her body on fire.

“UHGNN! `M beggin’ you, Buffy. Uhgnn! Please, baby. AHH! Tell me you’re my girl.” He didn’t want to force her into saying something she didn’t mean, so he begged her over and over. “You’re on my mind, every second of every day. Drove me bloody insane to see you dancin’ like that with Angelus. Please tell me you’re my girl.”

To hear him plead like that told her she held power over him and it filled her with confusion. The only thing she knew for sure was that somehow, he’d found a place in her heart, a place no man ever occupied and though it scared her to death, she silently admitted it to herself... and then to him.

“I’m your girl.”

He ceased all movement and buried his face inside the curve of her neck. “Thank you.”

Keeping his body flush against hers, his knees bent every time he used his hips to slide his cock up into her as far as possible, over and over. The hand at her waist reached down between her legs in search of her tiny nubbin. Using two fingers, he rubbed it furiously and began thrusting up into her body at a fierce pace, reveling in the feel of her heat, her muscles as they clamped down hard around him. Her admission meant everything to him as he lost himself inside her... physically, emotionally. He knew in that moment he was nothing without her in his life.

She reached a hand back to cradled his neck as he kissed hers, holding him close while leaning her head against his shoulder. No one could ever make her feel like he could, she knew that now. The knowledge set her free as she willingly gave herself over, allowing him to bring her the rest of the way to heaven, her body strung taut from the pleasure he filled her with. Their bodies were so perfectly tuned to one another, fit so well it had to be right, they must be meant for each other. Shutting the rest of the world out as waves of bliss crashed through her, she rode the crest of her orgasm and cried out, uncaring where they were. Seconds later she felt his cum as it exploded hot against her womb, his body jerking until the last of his passion spent itself.

He gently pulled out of her and tucked himself back into his jeans as he silently watched her straighten her skirt then turn around.

Face to face with him, her mind searched for words to define, to come to terms with exactly what had just taken place between them. Their coupling was wild, reckless, like two wild animals rutting outdoors heedless of their surroundings. Her head swarmed in confusion, blocking out all previous thoughts that had occupied her during their union. She would never be able to deny him, didn’t want to, she understood that now. She also understood exactly what he’d meant when he’d answered her question the other day...

“Tha’s the power you have over me, luv. Every time I’m around you I... can’ ever get enough. Have to have you... I crave you like the very air I need to breathe.”

He said he’d never lie to her, never hurt her, needed her. But hadn’t they all? Hadn’t every man she’d been with claimed the same thing, only to leave after tiring of her, just like her father tired of her mother for another, younger woman?

Forget the look on her face; he could sense how uncomfortable she was about what they’d done. He quickly gathered her into his arms and held her head against his chest with one hand, the other rubbing her back up and down lovingly. No way was he going to let her feel confused or ashamed of what she’d said or done tonight. He wanted so badly to tell her that he loved her but it was too soon; he’d only scare her, he was sure of it. All he could do for now was to hold her.

She wrapped her arms loosely around his waist and leaned into his embrace. He didn’t speak, but his soothing hand on her back told her everything she needed to know. The only thing left to do was to figure everything out for herself, all the emotions she couldn’t deny, all the fears that remained so strong they made her want to flee... She sighed. Time... she needed time.

“I need to go home,” she whispered.

He rested his chin on the top of her head and screwed his eyes shut. Letting her go was not what he wanted, but if that’s what she wanted, what she needed, well, what could he do?

“Okay, luv. I’ll walk you to your car.” He felt her nod against his chest after he kissed her hair. Still holding her waist with one arm, he was grateful that she clung to him, her cheek pressed into the side of his shoulder as he walked them out of the alley.

“Are you okay, luv? Is there anythin’,” he paused to run a hand through his hair, frustrated at her silence. It wasn’t like her to be so quiet. “Anythin’ I can do?”

She shook her head no and got into her car after he opened the door, avoiding any eye contact with him. He couldn’t help shake the feeling he was losing her to her own thoughts.

Squatting down on his knees, he rested one hand against the open door of her car, the other on her shoulder.

“When can I see you again?” He threw himself out there for possible rejection, but he had to know.

“I don’t know.” She continued staring straight ahead after slipping her keys into the ignition. “I... I have to go. I just...can't be here right now.”

Her words stung harder than when she’d slapped his face earlier that night.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw his head slump forward as if in defeat. She didn’t want to get his hopes up, but she couldn’t leave him like that either.

“I need some time to think.”

He looked up but she was still staring straight ahead.

“How much time?” His heart filled with hope.

“I honestly don't know, this is just...I can't do this, William, not right now. Soon... maybe.”

This time she looked at him, just as he nodded and lowered his head again. Reaching her left hand out, she touched his chin, offering him a weak smile when he looked. She leaned over and placed her lips against his, kissing him sweetly before pulling back and starting up her car.

It was enough. That one small act from her was enough to keep the spark of hope lit. He stood up and shut her door, watching her drive off until she was no longer in sight. He smiled. If she needed time to think then he’d give it to her, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t do everything within his power to make her want to run right back into his arms, right?

A/N: Have a little faith. It’s a bumpy road yes, but always spuffy in the end. Reviews are welcome, but keep flames to yourself, it’s only fiction after all. Remember, I write from the heart and do what the muse commands. Patience is a virtue even I must observe while awaiting instruction from my temperamental muse.