Author's Chapter Notes:
I know, long time no write… but I ‘m currently on (a month long) vacation visiting family in New York AND, while I was in NJ visiting the in-laws awhile ago, Beasleysmom and I went to the Fangoria convention where we both met James for the first time. Can I just say that man has done wonders for my muse – giggles. (new saying… James does a muse good!) I had so much fun there it should have been illegal. If anyone is interested, they can check out my piccie with JM on my LJ (imbloodyenglish@livejournal.com). It was such a thrill meeting other authors/members of various JM/spuffy sites while there, hi everyone, *waves*. (Hi Lostboy – I’ll be reading your fic later tonight - I totally promise). I could go on all day here about my lovely trip, but I’d much prefer everyone read the latest chappy of TE instead since I’m uber excited to say… NO MORE ANGST – woo hoo!!! Thanks to my pals Dusty273 and Beasleysmom for their help and a special hug and kiss for my friend Karbear57. I’ll do my very best to keep up on answering reviews, just bear in mind that here in (very) rural upstate NY, I’m forced to deal with the slowness that is dial-up Internet & the occasional ‘getting kicked off’ – UGHH!!! And to my newest friend Nos (Dana) – go read In the ARMY Now… NOW girl. I’m not so far away that I can’t drive back to NJ and twist your arm or worse, make you do military style pushups – hee hee, smooches sweety.
Buffy had allowed work at the gallery to dominate her life while everything else went on around her... without her, making her feel like she just... existed these days. The weeks had passed by like years, but the experience she’d had while in England remained fresh in her mind, as if it happened only yesterday.

Not once did she permit herself to wallow in self pity or sink into a malaise over her loss however, no way. If anything, she kept telling herself that everything happens for a reason and the reason just wasn’t clear to her yet. Perhaps fate had placed William in her path to teach her a valuable lesson? That she needed love in her life, the kind that encompassed the unconditional as well as the romantic in order to truly understand what it means to be happy? Well, whatever the reason, the lesson, she was still in love with him. It was learning to live without him that was proving a slow and agonizing process though she managed the best she could while fronting a plastic smile for her friends.

Everyone was kind enough not to talk about William around her ever since coming back from London and informing them things hadn’t worked out. Naturally, Anya dragged the details out of her while Lorne, well he did too, but not before revealing his ‘gift’ to her. She was shocked and a million questions ensued of course. None of the answers she received, however, came as any surprise. They were ‘destined to fall in love with one another’, but apparently it was the timing and their unique circumstances that stood in the way of a happy ending.

Anya closed the back door to the gallery after the truck driver and his assistant carried in the last painting. She crossed her arms and watched Buffy busy herself with removing the protective bubble wrap from every piece of this latest shipment.

The truth was she was getting fed up with her friend’s behavior. Last night she’d invited Buffy to the Bronze, again, saying the whole gang was going to be there. And just like every other time she asked, Buffy said ‘maybe’ then never showed. Okay, fine, her friend had been in a slump ever since she and William were officially ka-put... totally understandable. But it was getting ridiculous given the fact that it was well over two months ago.

Sure, she ‘acted’ as if everything was fine, but Anya knew better. All her friends knew better. Buffy not only avoided social situations like the plague but Anya had caught her on more than one occasion crying in her office when she didn’t think anyone was around. In her opinion, it wasn’t healthy for her friend to keep going on like this. She didn’t want to badger her, but enough was enough, so she decided it was time to approach the subject and with a sense of humor to deflect any misunderstandings.

“Are you ever going to come out and play?”

“Excuse me?” Buffy glanced at Anya with surprise before quickly returning to the task in front of her.

“You know... play, have some fun.” She twirled in a circle while snapping her fingers, wiggling her butt back and forth. “Shake that booty... get your drink on? MAYBE, God forbid... even start dating again?” Ok, perhaps that was pushing it, but if Buffy could at least let a guy take her out to dinner or whatever, it would help her to move on. After all, William was out of the picture... for good.

“I should ask you the same thing.” Ripping the last sheet of wrap away, she turned her full attention on her friend. “I mean that delivery guy? TOTALLY checking you out and you didn’t even notice.” She found it odd that Anya hadn’t mentioned a word about her mystery ‘possible’ boyfriend in weeks or talked about men and orgasms at all.

“Oh no, don’t turn the conversation around to me.” But then again, she did feel a bit guilty. “We’re talking about you here, Missy.”

“Look, Anya. I see and appreciate what it is you’re trying to do, but I’m fine... really. It’s been weeks since Will... since I got back from London.” She still couldn’t bring herself to even say his name.

“Exactly my point! It’s been almost three months and you’re still not...” She threw her hands up. “You. The Buffy with the ‘I don’t care what anyone thinks’ attitude that does whatever she wants.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Look, I’m sorry for not showing up last night, alright?”

Raising a hand to inspect her nails, Anya didn’t disguise the sarcasm in her tone. “Or any other time I’ve asked.”

“I will,” she said half-heartedly then shrugged. “I can be party Buffy.”

“Then prove it. Let’s go out, have fun like we used to and if guys approach you... let them.”

Buffy threw her arms up in surrender. “Okay, okay, I’m sorry. Jeez, I didn’t know it made me look like, I don’t know, like mopey-girl if I wasn’t painting the town red.

“Willow, Oz, Lorne... we all miss you.” Pouting, she hoped to convince her to come out tonight... God knows she could use it.

Great, now she was being made to feel guilty? She sighed. Anya’s argument was valid enough, she knew. Maybe it was time to start integrating herself back into the world she knew before William, do the things she used to do like go dancing with her friends. “Alright, you win.” This time she gave her a genuine smile. “Pick a night and I’ll be there.”

“Oh, goody.” She clapped her hands. “I like winning. I also like being right and I know I’m right when I say we’re going to have loads of fun.”

~~~*~~~

Having hired two chefs instead of just one allowed William to settle into a routine, albeit a very mundane one, but he was content with dull these days. After a year of working long hours between Grisanti’s and Lorne’s ‘service’, he was grateful for a sense of normalcy with this new life of owning his own business. Apparently Lorne did too, because Surprisingly, he’d sold Rencontre Travaillée a week after William returned to California, saying although the service industry wouldn’t bring in nearly as much money as the escort business, he felt the need to go legitimate, “for personal reasons.” He even came to the restaurant three nights a week to help in handling the books while leaving The-Hide-Away to be managed by Clem.

It was Saturday evening and as usual, the restaurant was teaming with business. William always made it a point to periodically walk around the dining area to greet the patrons, make sure they were happy with their meal and the service. It was gratifying to hear customers say they were pleased that he’d maintained the high standards Antonio had established for the place. It also helped him to both forget about his days as an escort as well as affirm it had been worth it.

Not a single day passed, however, that his thoughts didn’t find their way back to Buffy even though he’d done a bang up job of convincing himself she was the one who ultimately left him. And yet he still couldn’t stop himself from missing her, from secretly wishing every now and then she might show up at his restaurant... so he could lay eyes on her; see for himself that she was alright and doing fine without him. If she ever did, it would hopefully relieve some of the guilt that still lay heavy in his chest over how he’d treated her. He wasn’t daft; he knew he’d gone overboard in antagonizing her, hurting her. If only he could see her out with some random bloke on a date though, it might help him to get over missing her, God willing... get over her permanently.

Little did he know that tonight, as he mingled with the diners, he would come face to face with the ugly business of not only his past days as a prostitute, but with the memory of Buffy and the strong emotions he still had for her.

“Well, well, well. So it’s true. Spike has quit the business.”

William’s attention was immediately taken away from talking with Oz near the entrance of the restaurant upon hearing the familiar voice.

“Angelus,” he nodded, hiding both his annoyance and surprise, choosing instead to speak with an air of professionalism in hopes Captain Forehead wasn’t going to act like the giant git he knew him to be.

“Blondie bear?”

Another familiar face from the past came walking up to stand beside Angelus.

Bloody hell! Yup, seems Harmony was buying Angelus’ ‘attentions’ these days. He chuckled at this, considering it quite amusing and fitting somehow. He turned to Oz. “Why don’ you go back and see how the kitchen’s doin’? I’ll take care of things up here.” Just in case Angelus couldn’t keep his big mouth shut, William didn’t want his red-headed friend to hear too much. His days as an escort were still a secret.

Oz excused himself and no sooner was he out of sight than Angelus was giving William a cocky grin.

“I think you remember Harmony?”

“`Course.” He turned and smiled politely. “Nice to see you, Harm. Table for two?” He grabbed a couple of menus, hoping to squash any further conversation, but it wasn’t in the cards.

“You work here?” Harmony asked, her face scrunched up in surprise.

“I own Grisanti’s,” he corrected her.

At his answer, Angelus began laughing heartily.

“Who would have guessed? Not only do I have the pleasure of inheriting a former client, but now you have to serve me, in your own restaurant no less?”

“If you’ll be so kind as to let me escort you to your table, mate, I have other business to-”

“Hey,” Angel continued, not even listening. “Did you quit the biz over that fine piece of ass you were in love with?” He watched the other man’s face twitch with anger while ignoring Harmony’s disapproving squeak at his statement. “What was her name?” He looked away as if thinking and tapped a finger against his temple. “Oh that’s right; it’s Buffy if I’m not mistaken. Right, Harmony?”

She opened her mouth to reply but William cut her off.

“That was a long time ago, Ang-”

“Let me guess, she kicked you to the curb, discovered she was too good for the likes of you?”

That hit a nerve, no matter how hard William tried to deny it. “Tha’s not what happened.”

“What? You’re not seriously going to try and tell me you dumped her?” he asked mockingly.

For the first time in a long time, Spike reared his side of William’s personality as he clenched his jaw tightly. He knew he shouldn’t let anything the great poof had to say bother him, but when it came to Buffy... that was different.

“You know what? It doesn’t matter. I think I’ll look her up. Yeeeeeah.” He tugged at his waist band with one hand and adjusted his crotch with the other. “Give her a freebie so she knows what having a real man between her thighs feels like.”

“Hey!” Harmony cried indignantly. “Hello? You’re on my watch. Stop talking about other women.”

Harmony continued her whiny prattle while Spike’s rage grew to enormous proportions. His fists tightened at his sides, knuckles turning white, red clouding his vision. Nobody but nobody touched his girl except him... nobody!

Thankfully, it wasn’t William that stopped Spike from knocking Angelus out... it was Oz.

Oz did what William had asked him earlier, but when coming back to find his boss still standing there with the same couple, which he obviously knew from somewhere, he’d heard enough of the exchange to know something bad might happen. Besides, Buffy was a friend of his too because of her association with Willow, and his keen observation of both blondes over the past several weeks told him they were still in love with each other... even if they didn’t mention the other’s name. He simply couldn’t stand by and listen to the man speak about Buffy in such a lewd manner or let William possibly start a brawl with so many people in the dining room who would see.

“Mr. Ivanhoe?” When William turned to look at him, it was clear he wasn’t aware anyone had been standing behind him at all and wow, did the boss-man’s face ever look scary right now. “You’re needed in the kitchen right away... something about a bad batch of shrimp.” Uh-oh! It didn’t look like what he’d said even registered, William appeared so irritated. “Uhmm, sir?”

William spared a glance at Angelus, weighing what he wanted to do against walking away. After a second or two, he decided the untimely intrusion of his friend was a blessing in disguise. It wouldn’t be wise to create a scene in his own establishment. He gave Oz an order to seat the couple then stormed off to see what was happening in the kitchen.

It wasn’t until he actually spoke with the other chef did he discover Oz had fibbed, more than likely as a way to keep the situation he’d obviously witnessed from escalating. Unfortunately, he was neither grateful nor relieved. He was still pissed enough to run his fist through Angelus’ face and on top of that, none too happy that Oz may have caught on to the deeper meaning behind Angelus’ remarks. Bloody fuckin’ hell, he thought as he walked out the back door into the alley for a smoke.

After lighting up, he suppressed Spike’s urge to punch any of the inanimate objects around him and took a deep breath instead. Get a grip, mate. He could always make something up no matter what Oz thought, if his friend even bothered to talk to him about it later. When it came to Angelus however, he was irritated that the flippant, sexual reference he’d made towards Buffy bothered him as much as it did.

That’s when it dawned on him exactly what it was he’d been thinking the second after Angelus had made his remark. He still thought of Buffy as his... so did Spike... and both were ready to protect what they thought was theirs.

He couldn’t permit himself to think like that now, not in a fit of rage, not ever... it wasn’t his right. But he truly couldn’t help it. The thought of Angelus, oh hell, anyone touching Buffy immediately brought out emotions he thought he’d buried deep enough though admittedly he never stopped loving her. He was suddenly being forced to acknowledge the truth, the likes of which he didn’t care for at all... that Buffy was out there somewhere and the mere thought that she just might be in a relationship right now was driving him insane.

If only he’d listened to her, gone with his heart’s desire those long weeks ago in London and taken her back, he wouldn’t be feeling like this at all. Fuck! He ran a hand over his face then started pacing back and forth; lighting up another smoke when he realized the first had burned out from between his fingers.

Whereas before everything seemed like nothing more than a bad dream, it was all, suddenly, so very real. Like a splash of ice water in the face, he had to accept that he’d been in the wrong, said and done all the wrong things... for all the wrong reasons. Maybe... no, it was too late for that, much too late. Still, he was tempted to let his mind wander down a road of possibilities that she might still be single, might still love him... might take him back.

~~~*~~~

Meanwhile, at the Bronze...

Buffy had to admit it was nice be out with her friends. The scene was a carefree one of young people laughing away, joking with one another, dancing... It felt good being surrounded by this kind of positive energy; however, it was hard for her to latch onto their enthusiasm.

Lorne was here too, which normally would have surprised Buffy except the last time they’d spoken on the phone, he said he was tending to business at Grisanti’s several nights a week and tonight was apparently one of those nights. She was even more surprised when he said he’d given up the escort business as well, or rather sold its ‘rights’ to someone else.

They hadn’t been at the Bronze very long when Lorne witnessed Buffy turn down a guy hoping to get her out on the dance floor. He waited a few moments then inched his way across the bench and threw an arm around her.

“Did I just see you give the brush off that tasty morsel of a boy? Hmm, my little kumquat?” She giggled and leaned her head against his shoulder.

“You’re my favorite dance partner. Why waste my time with the rest when I’ve already found the best?”

“Ahhh, Mon chérie, how you flatter me.” He kissed the top of her head. “Alas, I think you should-”

“Excuse me, Miss?” A waitress came up to Buffy, balancing a tray full of drinks in one hand. “The gentleman over there,” she pointed to her left where a man waived and smiled flirtatiously. “Wanted to buy you a drink.” She moved to grab a glass when Buffy stopped her.

“Please tell him thanks, but no thanks.” The waitress thought nothing of it, nodded then walked away.

“Some girls have all the luck,” Lorne jibed, causing her to giggle again.

As the evening progressed, Lorne could see she was doing her best to wear a smile but her heart just wasn’t into it. Oh, she put on a good show for her friends and engaged herself in conversation, but it wasn’t until she’d danced with him did he get a ‘mindful’ of her misery.

The overcrowded dance floor and subsequent noise made it hard to focus, but he was able to pick up the sound of her humming a few bars of the song being played. Unfortunately, she saw the frown that formed on his face in response, put two and two together and excused herself, obviously embarrassed.

He immediately followed her back to the table.

“I’m sorry, Buffy. I didn’t mean to... well, you know.”

The guilt was written all over his face but she knew it wasn’t his fault. She shrugged. “It’s okay.”

“Did I miss something?” A confused Anya leaned her elbows on the table. She glanced back and forth between the pair, to an equally confused looking Willow, then back to Lorne.

Lorne broke the awkward moment for everyone. “I heard her humming while we were dancing.”

“Ooooh. Got it.” She immediately understood what happened. Ever since Lorne became part of their circle of friends, he made his ability known in case they didn’t want to be read. Anya, on the other hand, found it amusing and sang whenever she felt like it regardless. “Wait.” She turned to Buffy. “You’re not having fun?” she asked incredulously.

“No,” came her astonished reply. “I mean yes. Of course I am.” She grinned. “This is me, having a good time.” Bringing her drink to her lips, she took a small swallow.

“I-it’s okay if you’re not,” Willow interjected, having seen the accusatory look on Anya’s face. Buffy’s counterfeit smile didn’t fool anyone and she felt bad that Anya put their friend on the spot. It was no mystery William was the reason why Buffy hadn’t been the same since coming back from England. “Wanna go back to my place and maybe have a-a movie night or something?”

“I’m fine, really.” She rolled her eyes.

“So fine that despite a dozen or so total hotties having hit on you, you’ve turned each and every one of them down?”

“And? So what?”

Lorne felt the tension increase between the two women and was about to say something when Anya beat him to it.

“Oh, for God sakes, if no one else is going to say it, I will. Everyone knows you’re not over William and yet we all avoid saying anything about it. Personally... I’m tired of walking on eggshells. You need to get out of this funk of yours and join the land of the living.”

“Anya!” Willow started. “That doesn’t-”

Lorne interrupted.

“Whoa, everyone needs-”

Soon, they were all talking at once.

“Alright, alright just... stop it! Everyone!” Buffy held both hands up. “You’re right,” she began, her tone one of exhaustion. “I’m not over him. I don’t know when, if ever, I WILL get over him. Can we just... drop it? Please? I’m out, I’m trying to enjoy myself tonight, have fun and...” She trailed off, having nothing more to say.

“Don’t worry your pretty blonde head over anything, princess.” Lorne assured her. “These things take time and you’re smart for not rushing into anything.”

“Time sucks.” She stared at her drink, pouting slightly. Now she really didn’t feel like being here.

“Oh. My. GOD!!! You really DO blame yourself for everything, don’t you?” Anya asked her.

“What?”

“Okay, I’m not trying to belittle the feelings you two had for each other, but the truth is you tried. You went above and beyond, tried more than once with the man and he’s the one that acted like a big jerk.”

Buffy laughed then asked sarcastically, “So tell me what you really think, Anya?” And of course it didn’t perturb her friend one bit.

“I bet that if he walked in here right now, you’d take him back, even after everything he said to you. And don’t even look at me like that, Lorne, because I know you agree with me.”

Willow went quiet, choosing to listen rather than participate in the conversation any further. She knew from talking with Oz that William was just as miserable without Buffy as she was without him. Oz said it showed in everything he did, how he seemed almost robotic in his daily activities, how he caught him staring at other couples with a forlorn look about him when they held hands or kissed.

“I won’t deny it. I’d take him back in a heartbeat. What I find amusing is that YOU were his biggest advocate at one point and now... it’s as if you hate him.” Anya’s hardened expression changed immediately to that of sympathetic, tinged with a hint of guilt as she admitted softly.

“I don’t hate him. What I hate is that he hurt my best friend. You deserve better.” She reached across the table and took Buffy’s hand and a mutual smile of understanding bloomed between them. “I’m sorry, but I’m protective of my friends.”

Lorne watched the exchange and decided to interject an important fact no one here seemed to consider.

“In all fairness to both William and Buffy, I have to say something.” All eyes turned to him. “Everything that he’s had to do... you know, the escort thing... to get where he is today, it’s had repercussions for him on a personal level. Now I’m not defending his behavior, but think about it from his perspective for a moment and take Buffy out of the picture. He found the whole business to be degrading and probably needed some time to cope, to come to terms with what he did to make his money. I still say you’re the right two people for each other, but I don’t think he was in the right mental place to love and be loved in return. Especially given the circumstances under which you two met. It worked against the both of you from the start, a real case of bad timing.”

“And again I say time sucks,” was Buffy’s reply. “I mean, I get that. If I put myself in his shoes for even a moment, I’m sure my self esteem would be, well, non-existent.”

Everyone at the table nodded in agreement before Lorne continued.

“Both of you wanted a relationship, but when things went sour, he proved to be the one who wasn’t truly ready. It wouldn’t have mattered what you tried to do, it was never in your control to sway his mind. If, and I’d like to think WHEN he ever becomes truly ready, it will still be up to him to come to you and say so.”

“But... you were pushing for us to be together just as much as Anya was. The whole time, too.”

“Hey, I read people... I’m not perfect.” He chuckled. “I don’t always make the best decisions when directing people and for that I’m sorry but again, the main point here is he’s needed time to process everything from the prostitution, to you, to falling in love. And when you went to England, he more than likely reacted out of instinct to protect himself from getting hurt. At that time, I don’t think he was anymore willing to face himself than he was to face you and what you represented to him.”

Buffy remembered the dinner invitation game they played at her house, how he’d more or less said that he wasn’t sure he would ever deserve to have a normal life with marriage and kids.

“It was doomed from the start. Wasn’t it?” Buffy directed her question to Willow who, as she’d noticed, had been awfully quiet.

“Oh, uhmm... I can’t answer that. Sorry.” She shrugged. “Lorne knew you two were meant to meet and all, but things turned out the way they turned out. Maybe the reason for it all was to help William to help himself. I don’t think I could jump from being a prostitute into a full blown relationship either. I would need time, too.”

“Hell, I’d need therapy,” Anya added in her unique, quirky manner, making everyone chuckle.

“I don’t know if this makes me feel any better, but I do have a better understanding of things now.” She smiled. “Thanks, you guys. I guess I can only hope that William finds the peace of mind he deserves.”

“Everything is a risk in life, including loving someone,” Anya interjected. “And you deserve to love somebody who can love you back.”

“Yeah,” Buffy replied sadly. The trouble was she still didn’t want anyone else but him.

“Well, kiddies, I’m sorry to say that yours truly has to hightail it,” he apologized. “The books are calling me at the restaurant.” Everyone nodded.

“Uhmm, Lorne?” Buffy asked after he leaned over to plant a kiss on her cheek.

“Yes, cupcake?”

“How is... can I just ask... how is he doing these days?” He gave her a sort of sad smile.

“Honestly?” He sighed heavily when she nodded. “If it’s any consolation... I don’t think he’s faring much better than you are.”

His answer came as quite a surprise. After all, wasn’t William the one who wanted things this way?

~~~*~~~

William made his way inside and back to his customers, trying desperately to put his thoughts on hold. Okay, so Angelus ultimately helped him to realize a few things but it was also a lot to digest. He couldn’t just ‘act’ without thinking, hunt Buffy down and beg her to take him back no matter how bad Spike wanted him to right now. For all he knew, she may very well be happy now without him. She definitely deserved to be, especially after what he’d put her through.

As Angelus watched Spike walk about the dining room talking with people, he took every opportunity to smirk at him whenever Spike spared a glance in his direction. Oh yeah, he was loving the fact he could get under Spike’s skin at all. And the subject of the tiny blonde? Definitely a sore spot judging by the reaction he’d gotten. Man, what he wouldn’t give to get his hands on this Buffy chick. Not that he cared anything about the woman in question, he just wanted to sleep with her, money or no money, so he could come back and rub it in Spike’s face.

When he saw Spike heading for the bathroom, he simply couldn’t resist another chance to goad him. He excused himself from Harmony’s company and went straight for the restroom.

“So, Spike,” Angelus began, having found him washing his hands. “Since you’re through with the business, I was wondering...”

“And wha’s that?” With the mood he was in right now, Angelus was the last person he wanted to deal with.

“What’s the chance I could have your list? You know... the names of your following?”

“Never kept a list.” He turned to face the taller man. “You’ll have to talk to Lorne.”

“That’s where I have a problem. See, I went solo right before Lorne sold Rencontre Travaillée.”

William chuckled and called him out. “He fired you, Angelus. And we both know why.” Naturally the man didn’t bat an eyelash at this and kept right on talking.

“More specifically, I’d like to know how to get a hold of Buffy.” He reveled in the immediate tension that wrote itself across Spike’s forehead. “The thing is, when I met her a few months ago, she was very ready and willing to go home with me... until you stepped in of course. Mmmmmm,” he purred. “The things she whispered in my ear... about what she liked, what she wanted to do? It still makes my cock hard just thinking about it.”

It was going to take a miracle for William to keep Spike’s temper in check after hearing that. Of course he didn’t believe a word of it. His Buffy wasn’t like that.

“You never were very good at lyin’, mate.” William shook his head and crossed his arms. “So spare me.”

Angelus’ laugh was one of amusement. “Yeah, you’re right. But we both know two things. One, I don’t really need your help in locating her and two... I could sweet talk a nun out of her virginity.”

That, William knew, was true. He’d found out all he cared to know about Angelus’ methodologies, not from Lorne but from the clients who’d come to him after Angelus had gotten too rough with them. It was then, incidentally, where the sense of rivalry Angelus felt towards Spike had begun. There were two girls in particular that William was sure if they wanted to press charges, they could have. Naturally that didn’t happen because they’d paid for their ‘fantasy’, but how far Angelus had taken what these women had in mind bordered on ‘actual’ rape rather than ‘being taken’ by a man. It turned his stomach hearing first hand accounts of the sadistic things Angelus had done to them. And the thought that he was more than capable of saying all the right things to coax Buffy into bed bloody well scared William to death. He didn’t want him anywhere near her.

“I can just picture her right now... hands tied behind her back, mouth gagged, face pushed into the pillow while I’m pounding into her from behind. Oh yeah, she’ll be screaming for mercy long before I cum inside that tight little ass of hers... and I’m not talking about her pussy.”

“She’s off limits, mate,” he ground out threateningly from between clenched teeth. His rage from before returned two fold at the imagery Angelus painted with his words.

“Not from what I hear. Matter of fact, don’t worry about it. Harmony already told me she owns some,” he waved a hand in the air with a ‘woop-d-doo’ expression on his face. “Art gallery in Sunnydale. I think I’ll just drop by, pay her a visit and-”

Angelus unexpectedly found himself up against the wall with Spike’s hands around his throat.

“I said... she’s off limits, you twisted, sick-fuck!” The bigger man gripped his wrists but before he had a chance to wrench himself free, Spike’s adrenaline induced fury overtook William completely and turned Angelus around, using the leverage of his own arm twisted behind his back to painfully subdue him. “If I ever see or hear that you’ve gone anywhere near my girl... I’ll-”

He was cut off when the door suddenly opened. Rather than release Angelus, however, he tightened his hold when he saw who it was.

“Oh my,” Lorne said with a grin after his initial shock had worn off. “I know I didn’t just interrupt an intimate moment here between you two, so by all means-”

Angelus choked out the other man’s name in a plea for help, but Lorne merely smiled and turned to lock the door so the amusing display could proceed uninterrupted. “Continue.”

And you can bet your bottom dollar that by the time both men got through with Angelus, he left a ‘bloody’ mess, any thought as to pressing charges for the assault far from his mind due to Lorne’s threats through his professional connections to the other man’s ‘livelihood’.

~~~*~~~

William was kicking himself in the arse over and over for the remainder of the evening while thinking about his interaction with Buffy while she was at his Uncle’s estate. Hindsight being twenty-twenty and all that rot, he couldn’t believe what a bloody wanker he’d been. He was beyond disgusted with himself and wanted more than anything to make it right, apologize to her at the very least even if she hated him now but of course he couldn’t because the truth was, it scared him shitless even thinking about having to face Buffy again.

“Hey man. I’m taking off if you don’t need me.”

“Huh?” William was startled out of his musings by Oz. “Oh. Right then.”

“You okay?” His boss had been sitting in his office, smoking cigarette after cigarette while staring straight ahead ever since he and Lorne kicked the same dark haired man from earlier out of the restaurant that’d bad-mouthed Buffy. Thankfully, only a handful of people witnessed this to which William’s explanation was that the guy was drunk and needed to be removed from the premises before causing any further ‘disturbances’.

“`M Fine.” His friend was staring at him curiously. “Why?” Oz shook his head, saying ‘no reason’ though his expression clearly implied otherwise. “`S this about earlier? Cuz I can explain.”

Oz shrugged.

“You heard the bastard talkin’ `bout Buffy... am I right?”

“I smelled trouble.” He nodded.

William sighed heavily and leaned his face in his hands, speaking his thoughts out loud. “I was never worthy of her to start with.”

“I’m not here to judge. Buffy fell in love with you,” he said matter-of-factly. “It’s none of my business how or why she did. But I can tell you one thing for sure... whatever her reasons, they were good enough for her then... and still are.”

His head snapped up at this. “What are you sayin’?” Could it be?

~~~*~~~

Late Wednesday afternoon...

Buffy sat back in her chair after a long day at work feeling more than ready to go home, however Anya insisted they go out tonight. There was ‘something special’ she wanted to celebrate though what, she wouldn’t say. Ughh! All she wanted right now was to take a hot bath, get curled up on the couch with her favori-

“God, you look beautiful.”

Hearing the one voice she never thought she would again, she looked up, her breath catching in her throat. Surely her eyes were playing tricks on her.

“But then I guess some things never change.”

Tbc...

A/N: Yup... spuffy luvin just around the corner. Hope you enjoyed and have a great week, *hugs*.