Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Sorry for the delay in posting – had a 16 hour (2 day) drive back home and of course a multitude of tasks awaiting me but YAY... I’m back to DSL baby – oh yeah! As soon as this chapter is posted, I’ll be going back and answering all reviews from last chappy. I gave up trying to answer but a few where people had questions - kept getting booted off with stupid dial up. Oh, and yeah – sappy warning here – had to have that ‘all romantic moment’ for our couple complete with (hangs head in shame) yet another song. I kept it brief though and the tune is Far Away by Nickelback (love that guys voice – its panty melting goodness, hee hee). Anyways, please enjoy the chapter and as always, thanks to Dusty273 and Beasleysmom for their help – you guys rock.
Cont’d from last chapter...


“God, you look beautiful.”

Hearing the one voice she never thought she would again, she looked up, her breath catching in her throat. Surely her eyes were playing tricks on her.

“But then I guess some things never change.”

It was him, it was really him. William was standing in her doorway and-and... did he just pay me a compliment?

She blinked but remained silent, staring at him with large, soft doe-eyes, increasing his already heightened state of nervousness. Best get on with it, mate. He may as well tell her what he came here to say, before he lost his nerve.

He cleared his throat, trying to make himself appear confident when he was anything but. “Ya know, luv-”

Oh God, oh God! What, no, why was he here? Her pulse quickened as her mind raced to try and guess the answer to that question.

“We’ll never be able pick up where we left off.”

She was aware of that, too, and coupled with the genuine sadness in his voice as he said this, she thought perhaps he'd come here to bring closure to their past... one without any harsh words being flung this time?

“And we certainly can’ start over again.” She nodded her agreement. Good, he thought. At least she was willing to listen instead of kicking him out straight away like he thought she might, though it could still happen and if she did, he wouldn’t blame her.

Yes. Judging from what little he’d said already, that must be the case, that he was only here to properly close the final chapter on their tumultuous relationship, er affair, er whatever it was they’d had.

“But... if you’re willin’... I-I’d like to... to...” For God sakes, man. Out with it.

Willing? Willing to what?
Okay, now she was confused and didn’t know what to think. She knew what her mind wanted to think, to believe, but she couldn’t get her hopes up only to have them dashed.

“Bloody hell,” he muttered under his breath, irritated with himself for stuttering. He had one chance to get this right and so keeping his eyes fixed on hers, he started over.

“If you’re willin’... I’d like to spend the rest of my life tryin’ to get things right with you `cause the fact is, pet............ I bloody well can’ live without you.” All the air in his lungs ‘whooshed’ loudly out of his mouth after finally having said it. Now all he could do was pray.

Her brain went numb. Did she really just hear him say what she thought he said? That he wanted to be with her despite all they’d been through and the cold send off she received while in England? Her heart was beating so fast she swore it was going to burst through her chest. She couldn’t move, couldn’t even get herself to breathe.

“Please................... say somethin’,” he begged. He didn’t care how pitifully desperate he sounded… he was desperate. The silence, the uncertainty of knowing what she was thinking was unbearable.

He heard her swallow hard and a lump formed in his own throat when she rose from her chair, walked around from behind her desk and slowly began to approach him. His lips parted, mouth dry from the ragged pants of breath he drew, each one filled with anticipation. If this was her way of trying to torture him, it was working.

The click of her heels against the wooden floor echoed loudly as her feet carried her to stand before the one man, the only man she’d ever wanted for. She started to reach out but then paused, her fingers trembling, still unable to believe any of this was happening. Then she saw it. His expression, his eyes, even his body language was riddled with anxiety, telling her just how truly nervous and vulnerable he was feeling. She moved cautiously, reached forward once again to take his hand gently in hers.

“I’d like that,” she whispered.

A wave of relief combined with joy washed through him as he looked down to watch her fingers thread loosely through his. He hadn’t forgotten how soft her skin was, but to actually feel it again, like this? No, he never thought he’d get to touch her again. He was so grateful his prayer was answered that he swore to himself and God he would never, never do anything again to hurt this precious woman.

Craving more contact, he took hold of her other hand, giving it a gentle squeeze as he confessed softly, “God, I’ve missed you.” A slight nod was her only reply to his admission.

He tilted his head to one side, smiling shyly and she couldn’t help but think it was the sweetest look he’d ever given her. She took a few seconds to savor it, appreciate it, commit it to memory. Was it going to take the rest of their lives to get things right? Maybe. But that’s exactly what she wanted, a lifetime with him. She was sure that together, they could make anything work as long as they both wanted to. They quietly continued to look at one another, communicating with their eyes in the silent space of this private moment, his thumbs gently caressing the backs of her hands.

The sudden shrill of the phone broke the spell. Startled, Buffy released him and looked over her shoulder, contemplating whether to answer the cursed thing or not, but after a second ring, it cut out. The front desk extension light remained red however, indicating Anya must have picked it up.

“So...”

She turned to witness William rocking back on his heels like a worried schoolboy. It was adorable.

“Uhmm...” Bloody hell, he was at a loss for words but truthfully, he wasn’t sure what to say now. He hadn’t thought that far ahead, hadn’t planned or was even prepared for her to agree out of fear this whole thing was going to blow up in his face right from the start. Running a hand over his head and down his face, he searched frantically for something to say.

It was then she noticed that his hair was longer. She hadn’t paid much attention to his appearance earlier due to the shock he was here at all. But she was taking a good look at him now... and he was breathtaking. The sandy blonde curls were free of any gel and they looked sinfully soft to the touch, making her fingers itch to get tangled in them. And damn but he looked fine in something so casual as a pair of dark navy blue denims and a long sleeved, cream colored thermal style shirt shoved up just above the elbows.

“Where do we go from here?” He hoped she would cue him as to what direction the conversation should go next but unfortunately, she didn’t answer right away.

She had to contain her laughter at his obvious unease. Here he was, the ‘big bad’, acting all with the nervous and after having cleared such an important hurdle? Definitely amusing.

“Your place or mine?” Utter surprise flashed across her features. Uh-oh! “Sorry. Bad joke. Jus’ a li’l... you know...” He shoved his hands deep in his pockets to keep from fidgeting.

Then she did laugh, knowing he wasn’t serious but finding it cute he tried to be humorous about the situation. She teased him back. “Nervous much? Gee, who would have thought? And especially around me.”

“Didn’ think I’d still be standin’ here.” She arched a curious eyebrow. “Thought you were gonna kick my arse out before I said two words when I arrived. `M not... used to this-” He brought one hand out from his pocket and signaled between them. “-sort of thing. By thing I-I mean...”

Her smile broadened as she stood there listening to him babble on, stuttering every now and then.

“... so I don’ know if maybe you’d wanna...” His hands began waving all over the place while he talked. “Or when you’d like to...” Then he made the mistake of saying something that was totally out of place coupled with juuuust the wrong type of gesture at that precise and very wroooong moment. “Oh, fuck me hard!” He said it to himself, really, but instantly saw that she thought he was asking when would she like to fuck him hard. He almost went pale, er, pal-er when she gasped. He threw both hands up. “No! Not FUCK me.” And the way he said this, with such distaste in his voice and in such a disgusted manner, made her eyes grow even wider... implicating she thought, that he thought, it was a disgusting thought - her fucking him. Bollocks! He looked up towards the ceiling and closed his eyes briefly. “Fuck me SIDEWAYS,” he cursed himself aloud. When he finally looked back down at her, she had a weird, confused sort of look on her face, telling him he’d done it again. “`Course I can’ even get...” he stuck his tongue out and flailed it around like a ‘dumb-dumb’ although to her, it looked like a straight forward, lewd sexual gesture. “My tongue to work it right.”

“William!” Oh. My. GOD! This clearly wasn’t turning out very well. Him, with the talking. His expression was one of shocked horror, like he couldn’t believe that she believed... well, you get the point. Right?

“`M sorry! I didn’ mean it.” He felt confused and didn’t want to insult her by making her think he didn’t want to fuck her. “`Course I wanna... with you... what I MEANT-”

“Stop!” the madness that is. “Let me make this easy on you.” She decided to take pity on them both and hopefully clarify what she thought he was implying. “Do you want to eat out?”

Her face went crimson in a fraction of the second it took to realize how that must have sounded, not to mention it was now his eyes that went impossibly large.

“Oh-my-God, I really just said that.”

Thank heavens he wasn’t the only one with his boot shoved in his mouth. Course it was rather cute how flustered she was getting now that the proverbial ‘boot’ was on the other foot and in her mouth. It was too tempting, he had to run with her faux pas and tease her. “Works for me, pet.”

“I meant as in, you know, dinner… out.” She ticked a finger off for each of the supporting details. “Restaurant, food, chairs and tables, in public, LOTS of other people around.”

He gave her a sly, suggestive grin, intent on making her blush even harder. “If you’re a good girl, I’ll take you someplace special afterwards so I can indulge that sweet tooth `f yours. `M thinkin’ somethin’ traditional, somethin’ English with nuts on the bottom that I’d wager my last British pound you’d find quite satisfyin’.” She was noticeably struggling to keep her cool but her cheeks were flaming. He was positively chuffed with himself but his efforts had, most regrettably, put his own rocks in a hard place when his imagination went there with her during that speech. Bloody hell!

Sooooo predictable, ho-hum
. “Felt that coming a mile away,” she said unimpressed then abruptly went rigid. “Erghh! I MEAN... that I expected you to say something like that.” Damnit, Damnit, DAMNIT! He cocked his head to one side... all sexy like and challenging. “It was a slip of the tongue, alright?” she cried in defense.

“Usually is, pet.” He waggled both brows, the tip of his tongue peeking out slightly from between his teeth, making her turn redder than an overripe tomato. She looked cute all flushed like this and hey… she’s the one who opened this door. Who was he not to walk through it?

“You-you...” She stomped her foot, frustrated that she unwittingly kept saying things that could totally be taken in a sexual way. It was irritatingly obvious he was getting a kick out of all this and was setting her up to continue doing so. “This is so all your fault.” She tried to remain serious in her scolding but he was purposefully making her crack up with his continued ‘sexy faces’. “Friday night. Dinner at seven. Not talking anymore.”

“Right then,” he calmed himself a bit but he was absolutely high on the fact she took him back and he would be seeing her again soon. “How `bout my place?”

“Ohhhh no. I’m not falling for-”

“Buffy, I meant my restaurant. My place? Grisanti’s remember? ”

‘Oh’, she mouthed and ducked her head, embarrassed. “That sounds great.”

“`Course if you’d rather go to my flat,” he jested, “I KNOW I have somethin’ there that would fill you up right and prop-”

“You. Out. Now. Go.” She shoved him towards the door. Good Lord, he knew how to push her buttons, every single, last and irritating one of them. All seriousness aside, ahem, she shouldn’t be thinking along those lines yet. Or could she? It wasn’t like a dirty thought or two was a crime, right? They were technically back together and if she were to be completely honest with herself, she started having naughty visions the moment he’d… stop that! I’m as bad as he is!!!

“I’ll-see-you-Friday-night,” she blurted, shoving the still chuckling Brit out of her office then promptly shut the door behind him. With her hand still on the knob, she leaned her forehead against the wooden door and grinned while listening to the fading sound of William’s footsteps and laughter the further he walked away. Things had started out on a serious note but through their combined nervousness, had taken an embarrassing yet comical turn, breaking the ice. Only him, she giggled, finding it rather hysterical they were able to joke about sex. Only him.

--- Oh, yes. Please do be honest with me, said her very conscious and slutty self. And since when have you two ever been able to keep your hands off one another anyway, hmmm?

La-la-la-la, not listeni-

--- Don’t you start that ‘la la’ stuff with me, I’ll just keep right on…


Buffy tuned her out and chose to enjoy her very awesome, no, stellar mood… she had her man back.

~~~*~~~

After William left the gallery, Anya came bursting into Buffy’s office at high speed, nearly knocking her on her ass.

“So?” Her entire body was wiggling excitedly, waiting to hear what went on between the two blondes. “Tell me.”

“Well for starters, you might want to lay off the caffeine for a day or two. That pee-pee dance you’re doing? So not attractive.”

“Come-oooooooon. I don’t do suspense... it’s too stressful on my system.”

“Really? I never would have guessed.” Buffy’s good mood extended itself to taunt Anya just a bit longer. She made herself an easy target and when she got like this it was especially hard to resist.

“You’re teasing me, aren’t you?”

“Hmm, little bit.”

“At least tell me quickly if you want me to kick his ass because if I go now, I can probably catch him before he drives away.”

“What?!?! No, of course I don’t want that.”

“Well then what did he say? Tell me, tell me, tell me!” she whined.

“Like you didn’t know he was going to be here this afternoon? Puleez.”

“Hey! I resent that accusation.” She stuck her nose in the air and crossed her arms. “I had no clue. He just waltzed through the front door, walked right past me without even a ‘hi, Anya. How’ve you been? Oh me? Great. And you?”

“You seriously didn’t set me up?”

“As if!”

“Wow. Okay, I’m-ahhh, sorry?”

She waived the apology off. “Just tell me what happened before I self-combust.”

Buffy laughed. “I’ve always wanted to know if that stuff is for real. Spontaneous human combustion. I mean, do people suddenly just... poof?”

“BUFFY!!!”

“Okay, alright, I’ll give you the short version.”

“Uh-uh, I want details.”

Buffy relayed everything that was said and even managed to send Anya running for the bathroom after nearly pissing herself from laughter at the whole ‘verbal battle of the sexes’ thingy. In the end, her friend was ecstatic for her and apologized again for her overbearing sense of protectiveness.

“Now we CAN go out tonight and celebrate.” Anya clapped with glee.

“Can? I thought we already were? What about your ‘something special’ that you’ve refused to divulge any information about since you first told me this past weekend?” Anya let out an irritated huff then began pouting.

“It’s cancelled. I got a phone call not too long ago from... and... it’s not important. It just had to be postponed.”

“Not important?” she asked stupefied. “This coming from the one person that can’t even keep the color of her underwear secret from total strangers?”

“Yes. I resemble that remark,” she nodded proudly. “But I’m sworn to secrecy until I have all my friends gathered in one place.”

“WOW! I’m impressed. You have me really curious now. Any chance I could get it out of you? I’m sure it’s totally killing you not to share it with SOMEONE, like say... me? Your best friend?” She gave her a toothy grin.

“Uh-uh! Nope. Not even the promise of a thousand orgasms from Don Juan himself could get me to tell.”

~~~*~~~

The rest of the week didn’t pass fast enough for Buffy, but at last it was Friday night and she was in her car en-route to Grisanti’s. She couldn’t wait to see William, couldn’t wait to see the restaurant and if he’d made any changes to it, hell, couldn’t wait to eat there it’d been so long. And to think he would be cooking? Her tummy suddenly grumbled. She’d purposefully forgone eating all day so she could gorge herself on what was sure to be an incredible meal.

It was still difficult to get her mind wrapped around the fact that she was heading for her man’s, her boyfriend’s restaurant. She, Buffy Summers, had a boyfriend. A really hot boyfriend, too, who just happened to own her favorite place in the whole world to eat. Her stomach growled again when she realized she would finally be able to have some of that famous, Chocolate Decadence Cake of his as well. She’d been craving it so badly these days that she was tempted to have Anya go there and get her one. But now she didn’t have a reason to avoid going there anymore. Yup, life was good, was going to get nothing but better from here on out.

She suddenly chuckled out loud at how irritated Anya had been with her these past couple of days. But Buffy couldn’t stop talking about tonight or asking questions like what should she wear, what kind of second date she should suggest to William they go on, should she kiss him goodnight and a whole host of teeny-bopper type questions. Anya finally pushed her out the door of the gallery four hours before closing and told her to go get a massage so she could ‘calm down’, to the salon to get ‘done up’, then shopping for a ‘brand new’ outfit. Oh, and to take a few days off and get as many orgasms as possible before coming back to work. Now that was a ‘more than tempting’ thought, but she wasn’t sure when they would pick back up on the sexual side to their relationship.

She knew her inner slut was right when she’d mentioned they weren’t able to keep their hands to themselves whenever they were together, but things were different now, and new, and William may want to take that part slow. She laughed out loud again, a nervous sort of laugh. If he didn’t, which was entirely possible, then how would she handle it? It’s not as if she didn’t want to, that is, as long as he wanted to... but not until he wanted to, yeah, that’s it. Ahem, don’t think about it. She’d leave it up to him and just follow his lead. There was plenty of time if he wanted to wait and she should be concentrating on other things right now like had she chosen the right thing to wear or was her dress a bit too formal?

She sighed internally when wondering what he’d be wearing tonight and giggled when picturing him in one of those white chef coats with the black buttons that lined the side, black pants and shoes, well knowing him it would be combat boots, and a tall poofy hat. Uhmm, on second thought, ditch the hat. Or would he dress casually in his typical jeans and T-shirt look? Oh God, she groaned internally. What if he were to wear a suit? Complete with tie and jacket? Seeing that it was their first real date, he may have decided to dress up like she had. Mmmm, there was a drool-worthy thought. Well, whatever he wore, she was sure he’d make it look amazing.

Then she had a not so pleasant thought. What if he was working tonight? What if he wasn’t planning on sitting down with her to have dinner? It was possible. She should mentally prepare herself, just in case, so she wouldn’t appear disappointed even though she would be. Anya had said something about how whenever she’d gone there, William was constantly cruising the floor, talking to customers and even though Buffy shouldn’t think like this... she’d be jealous if she couldn’t have him all to herself. But then again, maybe he- “Huh?”

She’d turned down the street where Grisanti’s was located and as she neared it, the parking lot was empty, as in completely empty.

“What the...” Something was very, very wrong here. Grisanti’s was always packed on a Friday night.

She parked her car, got out and made her way towards the entrance. If anyone were to see her right now, she’d feel like an idiot being the only person walking towards a restaurant that clearly didn’t look as if it were open. As she neared the door, she noticed a large white, hand-written sign taped to the inside of the glass.

“Closed for private party. Will resume normal business hours on Saturday. Sorry for any inconvenience,” she read each line aloud but the last one, at the very bottom in tiny print, she read to herself. Buffy, come around to the back. He’d closed the restaurant? Just for her? WOW! She was flattered but at the same time felt incredibly guilty. She could only imagine the amount of money both he and Lorne would lose on such a busy night as a Friday. And to think Lorne agreed to it? Again with the WOW! She would definitely be calling him tomorrow to tell him how crazy he was but also to thank him.

Butterflies began buzzing madly in her stomach while she walked along the side of the building in search of the back entrance. As she rounded the corner, she noticed two cars and William’s motorcycle before she saw him. He was standing near the door with his back to her, smoking a cigarette, bouncing agitatedly on his heels, no doubt wondering whether she was coming or not since she was a full fifteen minutes late... on purpose... not wanting to appear too anxious or anything, you know, like she couldn’t wait to see him... noooo’P’e!

She was half tempted to sneak up behind him but instead, cleared her throat. His head whipped around at the sound and-and... Uhh, she shuddered. Was it wrong that she’d just had a mental orgasm when she saw what he was wearing? He was giving her the best of both worlds with his stone washed jeans, crisp white button up shirt beneath an unbuttoned, casual suit jacket... one of those dark brown, tweed looking hunter’s jacket with suede on the elbows.

“`Lo, luv.” Whoa! He promised himself to act the part of the perfect gentleman for her tonight, but how the bloody hell was he supposed to want to with her looking like that?!?! Oh yeah, `m a dead man.

Throwing his cigarette down, he took his time inspecting every facet of her appearance. Golden hair in large, billowing curls surrounded her face, her emerald gaze outlined with charcoal eye shadow framed by long, black eyelashes and a simple, below-the-knee length ‘little black dress’. She looked like a goddess with the gathered sleeves just barely hanging on the curve her shoulders, the dark material hugging her round breasts and slender waist perfectly. Her already shapely calves were sharply accentuated by a pair of strappy high heels, her toes neatly painted to match her red fingernails. How does she do it, he asked himself. She looked irresistibly cute yet dead sexy all at the same time, making him feel like a lusty teenager.

The way he was staring at her made her feel like she’d come here as dinner, not for dinner. “Ah-ah-em,” she coughed. “I’m up here, William.” He had the decency to look guilty for ogling her but inside she was pleased that her efforts to look good for him weren’t wasted. She closed the twenty foot distance between them, looked down at the pile of Marlboro butts on the ground near his feet and asked innocently, “Been waiting long?”

He shook his head and smirked. “Minx!” The way she’d dressed, had arrived a bit late, worrying him she wasn’t going to show was all done on purpose and by God he loved her for it. “After you, pet.” He opened the door and waited for her to enter. Mmm-mm-mmmm! The way her young, firm ass swayed side to side, begging to be spanked had him harder than nails and feeling ashamed for thinking such thoughts. He mentally slapped himself, reminded himself to behave. He was determined to let her set the pace, to let him know when he could touch her, have her like he wanted to so badly right now that it made him want to reach out and... slow down, mate.

“I can’t believe you closed the restaurant,” she remarked as he led her through the kitchen. There was a man with his back turned, busy at the stove preparing food over an open flame. “I can’t imagine how much you’ll probably lose tonight in sales.”

“Not worried, luv. `S only money,” he shrugged, uncaring of the fact due to a recent development he had yet to tell her about. He held the swinging door open for her to enter the dining area then followed behind, trying to keep his eyes focused ahead rather than down at her lovely bum.

“Only money, huh?” She raised an eyebrow over her shoulder at him then came to an abrupt halt when she saw what was in front of her. Oh my! The room was pitch black except for the soft cast of light coming from several candles at the center of a single table.

“Pet?” He touched her elbow gently, causing her to start momentarily but then allowed him to lead her forward.

After he sat her down, he went to the opposite side of the small round table to take his own place. He didn’t want her to feel awkward at the romantic setting he’d created, so he told her part of the reason he’d done it. “Had to keep the lights off so anyone passin’ by on the street would guess we’re closed and if not, then `m sure they can read the sign.” She nodded politely but didn’t comment. “Hungry?”

“Are you kidding? I haven’t eaten a thing all day.”

“Buffy,” he chastised sternly, remembering all too well how faint she’d become at his flat months ago... all from not eating. “`S not very healthy thing to do.” She looked at him from beneath dark lashes, all pouty and demure.

“But I love your cooking,” she defended herself. “And I just wanted to be sure I could clean my plate.”

“`M gonna make you, too, though it won’ be me cookin’ tonight.” His chest puffed up at her mention of loving his cooking, making him feel guilty that he decided not to.

“I kind of guessed that when I saw that guy in the back. Why aren’t you cooking tonight?” He gave her a half smile while cocking his head to one side.

“And miss a single moment of your company?” She blushed. “I think not.”

The door to the kitchen swung open and there was a flurry of movement created by the man she’d seen earlier and... Oz?!?!

“Hey, Buffy.”

“Uh, hey yourself.” It was all the greeting she got until the whirlwind of traffic ceased and Oz saluted them both then headed back the way he’d come.

“Uhmmm, exactly what is all this?” Studying the multitude of dishes sitting atop five serving trays that encircled their little table, she joked, “Everything on the menu?”

“Matter of fact... it is.” Her look of surprise had him chuckling. “Wasn’ sure what you’d want, so I had my chef prepare it all so you could choose.” She grinned like a kid in a candy store at him.

“I’m thinking all of them. So my next question is what are you going to eat?” His chuckle deepened but then he gave her a look that sent shivers all the way down her spine.

“The only thing `m starvin’ for, pet, `s you.”

His bone melting smile made her want to say the hell with dinner; she wanted to feast on those sultry lips of his.

He scolded himself. He shouldn’t have said that. The last thing he wanted was to give her the impression he wanted to bed her. Okay-alright-fine, bloody hell of course he wanted to bed her, but not until she was ready, until the time was right.

Over the next hour, Buffy took a few bites from each plate and it delighted him to no end that she liked everything. The girl had a healthy appetite and he felt cheated that he hadn’t cooked them so he could take credit for her obvious enjoyment. Ah well, he sighed. There’ll be plenty of opportunities in the future. A lifetime of opportunities.

Oz came back and cleared everything away, leaving them a tiny brown bottle and two wine glasses. William uncorked and divided the entire contents between the goblets, holding his up after she took hers.

“To us,” he saluted. She blushed deeply as he touched his glass to hers, sampling the dark golden liquid in unison with him.

“Oh wow,” she exclaimed. “It’s so sweet.”

“`S an autumn harvest dessert wine. You like it?”

“I love it.” She took a deep swallow, enjoying the unusual viscosity of it.

“Whoa, pet. Slow down. Dessert is meant to be savored.” She suddenly frowned at him.

“What about cake?” He looked confused. “Chocolate Decadence cake?” Recognition passed over his features before being replaced with guilt.

“`M sorry. I didn’ think to... God `m such a git to forget it was your favorite. Forgive me?” He stuck his bottom lip out at her.

Let me have some of that and I’ll forgive you anything. Er, bad Buffy! “That’s okay. But you owe me, Mister.”

“That I do, pet................ that I do.”

His demeanor changed drastically as he said this. His face was sad, voice solemn and the whole room seemed to close in on her when he sighed heavily. He immobilized her with an intense stare in clear preparation to say something she wasn’t sure she was ready to hear.

“Speakin’ of owing, I owe you an apology, a big one... several in fact. Those things I said... when you came to London, I-” She’d gently placed her hand over his where it rested on the table.

“Don’t,” she whispered. He started again but she silenced him by shaking her head back and forth vigorously. “Please, William. You may feel like you have to but I’m here to tell you that you don’t. It isn’t necessary. If anyone is going to say they’re sorry for anything then let it be me. Because I am. So sorry. Everything that’s happened... I started it. The blame is mine. It’s all my fau-”

“The bloody hell it is,” he said sharply, stopping her before she said another word. Of course trying to stop Buffy Summers from speaking at all was like trying to prevent an arse from shitting.

“It is and we both kno-”

“For fuck’s sake, Buffy, shut that gob of yours and jus’ listen, alright?”

“Okay,” she answered meekly but with a sense of quickness, surprised at his tone.

“Really?” he asked, shocked she’d agreed so readily. “Never mind, don’ answer that.” He wasn’t going to question his luck. “Look. I only want to have this discussion once... and ONLY once. After tonight, I don’ ever want to hear you say that again. You’ve done more than `nough apologizin’ to me.”

Sure, she knew they had yet to talk about the events that ultimately tore them apart, but she didn’t think it would be so soon, here, tonight. But if this is what he wanted, then maybe it was best they do it now.

“I said some things to you back then and... well, they weren’t true. I was angry at the time. Made up lies jus’ so you couldn’ hurt me, tried to hurt you back. But I swear I didn’ mean a single one of them. And though `s unforgivable... how I behaved towards you, I do want you to know... I am so, so sorry, pet.”

“But I deserved it because I didn’t trust you when I should have and I really shoul-”

“Buffy!” Her name came rolling of his tongue in a slow, warning manner, low and gruff.

“Did you... did you just... growl at me?” The look in his eyes made her regret the accusation. “Sorry. Uhmm, yeah... being quiet now.” She removed her hand from his, folding it over the other on the table between them.

“I need for you to trust... to believe in me now when I say I don’ give a bloody damn who started it.” Her eyes went huge, as if she couldn’t believe what she just heard. “We both said things, did things that we can’t go back and change but all I care `bout is you... us... in the here and now. The only thing that matters is that you want what I want... to use the future to get past the hurt, move forward... no matter how long that may take.”

“I do,” she whispered, his words choking in her own throat. She wanted exactly what he wanted.

“Thank God,” he sighed out loud and allowed his body to relax a little. “And Buffy?” Her eyes were suddenly so full of tears that when she blinked, it sent them streaming over her perfect cheeks, causing his own eyes to grow wet. “I forgave you for everythin’ back in England.” He released a light chuckle while wiping his eyes. “I still can’ believe you flew all that way to see my stupid arse.”

Hearing him say that meant more to her than he would ever know. The air around them, between them felt so light, so fresh, the weight of the past three months no longer pressing down on them. She wanted to say ‘thank you’ but he had her giggling around her tears at his last comment.

He reached out when she sniffled, intent on taking hold of her free hand when the sound of the kitchen door opening stopped him. It was Oz, coming out to bid them goodnight. They composed themselves as best they could before he arrived.

“See ya tomorrow, boss.” He turned to walk away but then stopped to add, “Oh and before I forget... happy birthday, man.”

Buffy waited until he was out of earshot then turned on William. “It’s your birthday?” her voice squeaked in shock. ‘Yeah’, he admitted shyly. “Oh my God.” She was frantic. “I-if I’d known I would have brought you,” she looked about as if in search of an invisible present but could only offer a weak, “Something.”

“Hey.” Reaching across the table, he placed a hand over hers. “You bein’ here `s all the gift I need.” She took him by surprise when she rose, leaned forward and pressed a sweet, lingering kiss to his lips. It was over before he was ready but she stayed a moment longer, nuzzling his cheek with hers, her breath tickling his ear as she whispered...

“Happy birthday, baby.”

Before she could sit, he swiftly stood, walked around the table and pulled her into his arms. “On second thought... there is somethin’ you can give me.”

“And what’s that?” Oh wow. The butterflies in her stomach returned at the electric feel of his arms winding around her.

“Care to indulge an old man?” She giggled nervously. He looked over at Oz who was waiting in the wings for his cue... and nodded.

“Call me old fashioned, but I really wanna dance with my girl tonight.”

“Really?” Wait a minute. She realized he’d never told her his age before. “Just how old are you?”

“Thirty four.”

“Wow.” She teasingly accused him, “You are an old man.”

“Oi!”

“I’m only kidd-” The first few chords struck and she recognized the tune immediately. “Oh wow... I love this song.” He cocked his head to one side and stared at her longingly.

“Good. Cuz I thought it fitting.”

“Oh, William.” She was near tears again and was grateful he pulled her head against his chest so he wouldn’t witness her crying again.

This time, This place
Misused, Mistakes
Too long, Too late
Who was I to make you wait
Just one chance
Just one breath
Just in case there's just one left
'Cause you know,
you know, you know


He really hoped she didn’t find all this too sappy, but the William side to his personality couldn’t resist. Her hold to him tightened as the next few bars played out and it was for this he was waiting... waiting to tell her.

That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I miss you
Been far away for far too long
I keep dreaming you'll be with me
and you'll never go
Stop breathing if
I don't see you anymore


Pulling back, he wiped a stray tear from her face. “Hey, no need for all that, yeah?” She nodded around her sniffles. “`M always gonna be here for you. Wanna know why?”

“Why?”

“Because I love you.” Uh-oh. The water works were starting again in her eyes, but it was tears of the good kind, the happy kind and for that he was grateful. “I love you.” He kissed her lips, over and over, repeating the words again and again between each subsequent kiss, loving her with all his heart for every time she whispered it back.

On my knees, I'll ask
Last chance for one last dance
'Cause with you, I'd withstand
All of hell to hold your hand
I'd give it all
I'd give for us
Give anything but I won't give up
'Cause you know,
you know, you know


The song played on but the couple was oblivious to anything but each other, too rapt in the gentle sway of their dance, the tender kisses, the exchange of the only three words that mattered anymore, the feeling that all was finally right in their world.

... I wanted you to stay
'Cause I needed
I need to hear you say
That I love you
I have loved you all along
And I forgive you
For being away for far too long
So keep breathing
'Cause I'm not leaving you anymore
Believe it
Hold on to me and, never let me go
Keep breathing....


It took awhile, but their kisses went from tender to needy, more fervent, leaving them breathless, bodies heaving. To hell with behaving, he was ready to take a ‘certain’ risk.

“Any chance you might still be interested in havin’........... cake?” She wound her arms around his neck loosely and allowed him to pull her even closer against his body, giving him a little more confidence.

“What’s a birthday without cake?”

“True. But before you agree, pet, I should mention I don’ have any here at the restaurant.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah.” His hand tightened about her waist while the other slid suggestively up her spine, helping to clue her in on the underlying message behind what he going to say. He hoped he wasn’t pushing his luck by pushing for things too fast but he really, really wanted to know if she just might feel the same way. “There’s some in the fridge... at my place.” She abruptly pulled away and he thought for sure he’d ruined everything... until she spoke.

It’d been so long, too long since they'd been together and she didn’t want to lose another second talking when they could be loving each other instead... all night long.

“Well then, what are we doing wasting time by standing here?” She winked, grabbed her purse off the table and then held her hand out for his. “I’m ready if you are?”

“Abso-bloody-lutely.”


a/n: I really did hate to end it like this, but after writing about 2,000 words past what you see here, I realized there was no way to include all the hotness the muse has planned without going WAY over the 10,000 word limit. So I cut the chapter off so that next installment, well, I think you can all guess what’ll be going on, *winks*. One more thing, I’ll try to update as soon as time allows, BUT, (some of you are already aware) I’m writing a Wucian (Willow/Lucian) scene for Jolynn’s story ‘Beneath the Shadows of Evil’ to post in her absence and I need to complete it so she can look it over before she leaves on holiday. It’s an honor for her to allow me this and of course – I think everyone knows, ahem, Lucian is most definitely my boy, er, vamp. Giggles. Have a fantastic week, smooches.