“It is done sire” Solomon’s deep voice penetrated the tense atmosphere of the room causing Beatrice to whimper softly. Marcus stroked his sister’s hair gently while he acknowledged the demon.

“Excellent, how long until they reach her?” he asked his eyes drifting again to the dark woman beside him.

“Just hours sir. Jacob plans to attack before dawn”

“And he understand that I want them dead. Her and the vampire” His hand tightened in the woman’s hair causing her to keen softly in pain

“He has sworn it on his tribes honour” Solomon answered. “He dare not fail”

“Very well” Marcus relaxed his grip and returned to gentler ministration. “How goes the gathering?”

“As planned sire, all but four of the divisions are in place, we are just days away from full strength. The Slayers too are readying themselves our intelligence tells us that they too are gathering around the hellmouth”

“It is as well” Marcus smiled a cruel, confident smile “it will make the annihilation of their kind all the swifter.” At his lieutenants uneasy look he walked over to the taller demon, laying his hands on his shoulders. “We out number then five to one my friend, the war will be swift and bloody, and when they die, the slayer line dies with them”

He turned to look at the beautiful vampire behind him, “She has seen it, and she is never wrong”

……….

Dawn leant forward and began leafing through the sketches. There was another of Anya wearing here hair shorter, one of Glory next to which Spike had scribbled the word ‘Bitch’. She smiled at that and handed the picture to her sister, who swapped it with her for a roughly drawn sketch of Adam.

“Good lord” Giles muttered his eyes scanning the collection.

Spike watched the group carefully as they passed the images around, wordlessly communicating with raised eyebrows and questioning looks. The whelp had moved to the window and was staring into the night, acting on impulse he reclaimed one of his drawings and moved to stand beside the young man.

“In my dreams” he began softly, his eyes riveted to the image in his hands. “In my dreams she was extraordinary, fiery and forthright. One of a kind”

Xander’s eyes drifted to the picture, tears threatening to spill over. Spike didn’t have time to question his own motivation, he pressed on as if compelled by some unseen force. “Your girl?” he asked, already knowing the answer.

“Yeah” Xander answer, a whisper so soft only the vampire could hear him. “My girl.” Lifting his eyes he saw the vampire nod, understanding radiating from him. Ironic how with his natural hair and grey T-Shirt Spike looked so much more like a man and so much less like the soulless killer he had once again become?

He slipped the image into the taller mans hands and returned to the group. Ruffling Dawn’s hair as he repositioned himself on her chair. “So” he turned his attention to the watcher. “What d’you reckon?”

“Well” Giles began, removing his glasses “It seems clear that your subconscious mind is beginning to free itself from whatever means Marcus employed to block your memories. Willow here is an accomplished witch, she has offered to attempt to recover your memories”

Spike sense the Slayer tensing just outside his line of vision, her body humming with sudden anxiety. He kept his senses a tuned to her as he regarded the witch “Not sure I want the good witch poking about in my noggin” the Slayer relaxed, interesting. “On the other hand, might simple things out if I knew what had been going on.” A palpable increase in tension.

“What you reckon Slayer?” he asked, enjoying her shocked expression as he settled his eyes on her. “You think we should have Red here work her mojo on me.” Dear in headlights! Score! He chuckled inwardly, whatever was going on with the Slayer, had her riding a rollercoaster.

“No” she answered too vehemently, before catching herself. “I mean, magic can be tricky, and if your remembering stuff without it, then it’s probably best to wait and see what happens. I mean we don’t want you to forget even more stuff.” Stop Buffy stop, you’re rambling. Stop. “Not that you would but, you might. Or you might remember other stuff that never happened, or being dead.” For the love of God Buffy, stop! She commanded herself. He’s looking at you like you’re crazy. “Remember that time that we all forgot everything, what if something like that happened? Oh no, well you wouldn’t. But take it from me it wasn’t any fun, and…”

“Buffy!” Oh thank God for Dawn. “We get it. Magic bad!” She glanced at he sister and then back at the vampire who was openly laughing at her now. Eyes crinkling with mirth, lips curled upward in genuine amusement. Her heart warmed, she’d made him laugh, okay so he was laughing at her incredible stupidity, but still she’d made him laugh. She returned his smile with one of her own, warm and affectionate. Immediately his laughter stopped and a hard look entered his eyes.

“Right then” he address Giles. “Best do like the Slayer says” He gave Buffy another hard look. Pain twisted in her chest, he remembered Dawn, and Anya, and Tara. He was still calling Willow Red. Hell he’d even been nice to Xander, why was he looking at her like she was something he might find on his shoe. God if he hated her this much now, what would happen when he remembered what and Uber-Bitch she’d been to him.

“I wonder” Giles ventured politely “would it be possible for you to give us some further detail on your own experience. Anything you can tell us about Marcus, or his operation would be most helpful”

Spike drummed his fingers on his knee. “Don’t know much,” he answered, “Woke up in a cage naked as a new born. Some pretty powerful mojo, I reckon. This guy Marcus was there, didn’t like him, far too smooth.” He looked at the watcher, then at the Slayer, hiding her face behind a curtain of silky hair.

“Anyways” he continued. “Marcus tells me that the Slayer killed me and Dru in that church fire. Remember, the ritual. Tells me he’ll make me a deal, I keep the Slayer out of his way, he’ll bring Dru back.”

“It doesn’t make any sense” Dawn put in. “I mean he’s got an army of demons, why not send them? Why go to all the trouble of bringing Spike back?”

“Why bother at all?” the Slayer asked looking around the group, carefully avoiding Spike’s eyes. “There are hundreds of Slayers now, why single me out?”

It was Spike who answered. “Well there are Slayers, and there are Slayers.” He looked at her, forcing her to hold his eyes. “Not all created bloody equal. If what you tell me is true, you got vamps, hell gods, even the grand daddy of evil to your name. If it were me, I’d want you out of the picture. You certainly mucked up my plans a few times”

Don’t smile, she told herself firmly as she basked in the compliment, he doesn’t like it when you smile at him.

………..

Could be him, Richard thought as he watched the scene through the living room window. He’d watched the stranger saunter up Buffy’s drive a while ago, entering the house without knocking. Everything about the man irritated Richard, his easy swagger, and self-satisfied smirk. The way he ruffled Dawn’s hair as if she were a child. He watched as the man laughed at something Buffy was saying and he felt his anger rise.

You don’t know anything, he told himself, you’re a rational man, no need to jump to conclusions. He moved up the drive to the front door, trying fruitlessly to catch the muffled conversation within. Taking a deep breath he pushed open the door, calling out a greeting as he entered the living room.

“Richard” Buffy looked shocked, maybe even guilty. She tried to cover with a smile. “What are you doing here, it’s…” she consulted her watch. “It’s gone one”

“You forgot this” he handed her the light chiffon scarf she had been wearing earlier that day.

Frowning she took the scarf. “I coulda waited till tomorrow for this you know” she said, her tone unnaturally light.

“Well I wanted to see you anyway” he responded catching her eye with a questioning look. Behind him Spike snorted, amused disdain written on his face.

“Are you going to introduce me to your friend?” Richard asked fixing his gaze on Spike.

“Where not friends” he said, his voice low and suggestive. The man’s jealousy and suspicion was palpable. “We’ll never be friends” he looked past the man to let his eyes roam over the Slayer, his tongue curling behind his teeth.

The man’s reaction was exactly as Spike expected, jealous anger contorting his face into a dark glare. The Slayer flushed prettily under his scrutiny; “Shut up Spike!” she ordered half-heartedly.

Spike laughed again. “Well I’ll be off then” rising he gave Dawn a cheeky wink before turning his gaze to the Slayer. “Same time tomorrow then, luv?” he drawled.

“Umm, sure” she responded flustered by his sudden use of the endearment. “See you then”

…….

Jacob raised a clawed hand, silently bringing his companions to a halt. The house was lit despite the late hour, and he could make out a group of people through the window, among them was the vampire, obviously relaxed in the slayers home. Hatred dark and thick as tar flowed through his being. The vampire should have been his brother, bound together in Marcus, any alliance with a slayer was profane, a blasphemy to his master’s name.

He watched the vampire leave, sauntering casually out of the lair of the enemy. A few gestures of his hand had his men moving silently to flank the creature, their glowing eyes half closed to hide them in the night.

“Wait” he ordered in his mind, his thoughts reaching out to his companions. “A little further from the house” his orders flowed through the ether silent and deadly.

………

“Buffy” to anyone outside of the Scooby gang Willow’s voice would have sounded no different to her usual tone, but the group had been through too much together not to hear urgency, maybe even fear in the single word.

Dawn reacted immediately, instinctively coming to her sister’s aid. “Hey Richard, I couldn’t run a legal question past you could I? I know it’s late but I know Mr Letterman is ask tomorrow”

“Sure Dawn” Richard looked anything but pleased by the suggestion, “But I wanted to have a word with your sister first”

“No problem” Buffy cut in broad smile cracking her face. “Go help Dawn, I’ll be here when you’re done” With that she shooed the pair upstairs towards the makeshift study.

“What is it?” she asked urgently when her fiancée was out of earshot.

“Psychic disturbance. Demons, I don’t understand the language, but it felt like they where hunting. It’s coming from the direction of North Street, maybe…”

But she didn’t get to finish, the Slayer was already moving, grabbing a battle-axe from it’s hiding place in the closet. “Cover for me” she ordered before heading out into the night.

………

Spike sensed his assailants too late. They where already upon him, wicked claws tearing deep gashes on his back. He rolled forward out of range, ignoring the searing pain that shot up his spine. Another attacked from the left, but he was ready, dropping under the sweeping arc of the demons clawed arm he kicked out hard at its legs, satisfied to hear the crunch of shattering bone.

Another roll had him coming up to face them, back to the wall. Outnumbered six to one, and wounded, he calculated his odds of survival as very slim indeed. His eyes scanned for an escape route, but none revealed itself. “Well, well” he drawled, hoping to stall them “what have we got here? Little assassination party?”

“Silence scum” the mental command sent pain shooting through Spikes brain, like electricity, like the chip. The memory startled him, it was so real, he could almost feel it’s righteous punishments searing his brain. He relived the feeling of loss, the desperate helplessness that had first driven him in to the Slayer’s circle. Distracted he failed to counter their combined attack, going down hard under the demons’ powerful assault.

Pain coursed through him as claws and booted feet drew blood and bruises from his prone body.

………….

Buffy thought she had been running as fast as was physically possible, but somehow she managed to accelerate at the unmistakable sound of his pained cry. Her mind chanted his name as she ran, pleading for his safety with a God that cared nothing for his kind.

The scene that greeted her as she rounded the corner fuelled her rage. Six demons mercilessly beating the bloody and broken body of her erstwhile lover. An incoherent scream of fury ripped from her as she made the first swing of her axe.

With that one strike two demon heads rolled to meet the tarmac, another downwards motion had another falling dead beside its comrades. The others turned to her, claws extended, eyes glowing like sulphur.

She shifted her weight over one hip and gave the demons a hard look. “I think you wanna leave him alone” she suggested, her tone helpful and then they where on her.

Spike was vaguely aware of the fight raging above him. And in it’s centre, Buffy, golden and magnificent her hair flying about her as she turned, her axe blade flashing in the moonlight.

She had saved him, it was too strange too even consider and yet somehow familiar. Had she come to his aid before? No not possible, self-righteous bitch would never lower herself to protect the likes of him. Yet here she was taking and landing blows in equal measure. Instinct told him to help her, she was down to two on one how, but she was tiring fast.

Ignoring the protests of his battered body, he pulled himself upright. His head swam and his wounds shot pain across his torso, by force of will alone he managed to launch himself at the closer of the two demon, throwing himself up onto the things broad back, hands going to either side of its head. A sharp twist right snapped its neck with a sickening crack. Spike tumbled to the ground with his victim and let the blessed blackness take him.

…………..

Willow answered the phone after only one ring. “Buffy?” she asked, anxiety making her voice urgent and shaky.

“Get rid of Richard” an order, absolute and unquestionable, then silence.

“Buffy?” but the slayer had already hung up, trusting that the red head would see too it.

Willow nervously entered the study, her hands wringing in front of her giving her away despite her excessively casual tone. “Hey Richard, Buffy just had to go out. She said not to wait, she’ll call you in tomorrow, well later today” she gave him and unconvincing smile.

“Gone out?” Richard questioned incredulously. “It’s two in the morning where did she go?”

There was no way, Dawn thought, that Richard could recognise the change in the atmosphere, he had not, after all, spent his youth surrounded by the supernatural. No way he could interpret the slight change in Willows voice the darkening of her eyes. To him she was just Willow, Buffy’s successful lesbian friend. How could he know that she was in fact one of the most powerful wicca ever to have lived?

Magic, rich and soothing flowed through the air with her words, “It’s nothing, don’t worry about it. Just go home and Buffy will see you tomorrow. Just forget all about it”

For a moment He looked disorientated, before snapping his attention back to the witch. “I’m gonna go” he announced as if it where his idea, “could you ask Buffy to call me tomorrow?”

“Sure” the redhead answered as she walked him to the door, “I’ll tell her. Goodnight Richard”

………

“You don’t get any lighter do you?” Buffy asked the unconscious man she was half carrying, half dragging up her front steps. “Guys” she called out, “A little help here”.

Xander was with her in an instant, his hands going to support the vampires opposite side as they pulled him into the house. Dawn gasped audibly as they entered the hall, her hands flying to her mouth in horror. “Is he okay?” she asked her sister, taking in the Slayers own bruises, the blood seeping through her shirt “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” She answered in a strong voice, before visibly faltering. “Please just help me get him upstairs” Pain and fatigue filled her voice “please help me, he need’s blood and…”

Desperate tears filled her green eyes as she looked to them, and fear too. What was she afraid of? Her sister wondered even as she moved to take his weight from her. Did she believe that they would not help her that old prejudices still held? True that the others where afraid of Spike in his current state, but surely Buffy could not believe that his sacrifices had been forgotten.

“I’ll go get some” Willow offered, gently touching her arm, “you let Dawn and Xander look after him, okay. You need to let Giles patch you up.”

Buffy stood still, watching the painfully slow progress, Dawn and Xander where making, hauling the vampire up the steps, she moved to follow them but the gentle pressure of the watchers hand on her arm stopped her. “They can look after him” he told her softly “come now, let me have a look at that cut”

The iodine stung, but she barely felt it. She was certain that the bruised on her body should be sore, but she couldn’t feel them. Exhaustion and worry filled her senses, leaving no room for mere physical pain. She tried to focus on Giles’ voice, he was asking what happened, it was oddly comforting, reporting to her watcher, like older, simpler times.

“Six off them” she told him. “They where trying to beat him to death in an alley of North Street. Big, nasty, very sharp claws.”

He gave her a wry smile "Well that narrows it down”

She couldn’t help give him a wan smile in return at that. “Are we done?” she asked, “I need to…” she looked towards the stairs

“Of course” he replied gently holding her gaze, “you should be with him”