“You don’t think maybe we should go look for them?” Willow asked nervously glancing at the door, “I mean it’s been over an hour, what if they’ve killed each other”

“They won’t kill each other” Dawn assured her not looking up from the text she was studying “Besides you really don’t want to get in the middle of this”

“I guess not,” the redhead conceded.

“Not fair though” Xander whined, “they’re getting out of researching again. I’m beginning to think they’re in it together, like a conspiracy”

“I’m sure Buffy and Spike will be back shortly” Giles cut in “In the mean time we have plenty to do researching Velmorick"

With a collective sigh the group returned to the onerous task of trawling through the ancient tomes spread out on the living room floor.

…………………….

“The stars are shifting” Beatrice informed him in a conspiratorial whisper, “taking their partners for the dance”

“Not long now then?” he asked keeping his eyes on hers, as if by holding her gaze he could hold her clarity long enough to find out what he needed to know”

“Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset” she spun away from him arms outstretched, her voice singsong “sunrise, sunset, sunrise” she paused locking eyes with him across the room sanity, cold and ruthless settling over her. “Sunset”

“Three days?” he asked, looking for confirmation while her mind was focused.

“Three days” she confirmed certainly, before tilting her head to the side eyes locked somewhere in middle distance, “And the Slayer’s coming to the party, but will she bring a partner? Can’t dance without a partner”

“I have a group ready to take out the Slayer, Solomon will lead them himself” Marcus told her, his first lieutenant was almost ready to leave, no mistakes this time, he was sending his very best people to finish off this infuriating girl.

“She is coming to the party,” Beatrice told him haughtily, “She has a new dress and jewels on her shoes, no one will stop her coming”

Marcus thought for a moment, his gaze lingering on her all seeing eyes, “You” he barked startling the minions standing guard at his sisters door. “Go to Solomon, tell him the mission is cancelled. He is return to me for orders”

…………..

She wasn’t even tired, they had been fighting for over an hour, a cat and mouse battle that had covered a fair portion of the small town, eventually leading them to unsurprisingly enough, the cemetery. She wasn’t tired at all, her body thrummed with life, she felt exhilarated, free, this was what she had been created for, this violently beautiful dance.

A well-placed back kick sent him slamming face first into the wall of an ostentatious crypt, shattering the stone carvings that adorned it. “Come on Spikey” she taunted gleefully when he was slow to rise to his feet. “I thought we were gonna dance”

He pulled himself up and turned to face her, a chuckle coming out as a gurgle of blood in his mouth, he spat before turning an amused smirk on her. “Enjoying yourself Slayer?

She frowned, “I don’t know what you’re talking about” she denied hotly

“Yes you do” he insisted, his voice dropping to a provocative drawl as he moved closer

She straightened her back giving him a haughty look. “I’m not in the mood for games Spike.” She told him planting her hands on her slim hips. “If you wanna fight lets fight, just try and keep your mouth shut for more than ten seconds, give us both a break”

He smirked lashing out quickly, a hard jab that snapped her head back and sent her stumbling. “Come on Slayer, I know you feel it” he challenged “the thrill, the power, does it make you hot?”

“That may be your thing Spike, but it’s not mine” she told him cracking his ribs with a roundhouse kick.

“Really?” he asked before attacking with a barrage of punches that had her retreating, a series of clever blocks eventually giving her the upper hand and she sent him tumbling back with a powerful shove.

“Really” she affirmed, following him down, her hands pinning his above his head straddling his hips to keep him in place.

They stopped like that, suddenly both aware of the intimacy of the position. Buffy gasped, it was so familiar, the feel of him beneath her, the sound of their harsh breathing in the still night air, he was looking at her with confusion in his lust filled eyes. Say something Buffy, she ordered herself, or better still get off him. But she didn’t, couldn’t, she stayed frozen in place by the intensity of his azure eyes.

“Slayer” breathy and sensual, the moniker snapped her out off the her daze, Slayer, he always called her Slayer since he’d returned, never Buffy, not even pet or luv, all she was to him now was a Slayer, the enemy. This was all a game to him, bastard.

Fear and pain flashed across her face, she began to move off him, ready to retreat. He felt her move away and panic overtook him, no, she mustn’t get up and run, something told him that she had run from him too often, he had to make her stay.

The sudden speed of his movements caught her by surprise, his hands shot out to grip her arms as he flipped them over with a swift jerk of his hips. He had her trapped beneath the weight of his body, he had her, now, what to do with her?

Her eyes burned with defiance as she glared up at him. “Let me up Spike” she ordered, venom dripping from her ominously quite voice, he didn’t react and she let her anger rise, “Damn it Spike, let me up or I swear…”

He slammed his mouth down on to hers, silencing her with rough lips and teeth. There was no affection in it, just anger and confusion, lust and fear he kissed her as if he could break her growing hold on him by the ferocity of his kiss alone, he wanted to subdue her, to punish her spitfire soul for having the audacity to call to him.

But she was not subdued, she renewed their battle, opening her mouth so that her tongue and teeth could clash violently with his, shit but she was intoxicating, he could feel himself slipping under, losing himself in her.

He was no longer master of his own actions, if he had been he would not of reduced the pressure of his lips on hers to a firm caress, he would not have freed her hands so that his own could tangle in her golden hair. He would not have stroked her cheek so tenderly as he kissed her, or rolled them over so that she was above him.

If he had been commander of his body he would not have moaned so suppliantly into her mouth, his hands would have pushed her hot body away from his rather than pulling her closer. And certainly he would not have torn his lips away from hers to breath one word with such reverence “Buffy”

Oh god, oh go, oh god Buffy’s mind chanted over and over as she moved instinctively above him, he’s kissing me, he’s really kissing me. It had been so long, such a very long time since she felt this, felt him, shattering and rebuilding her over and over again with the movement of his lips on hers. Too long her heart told her since she had lost herself so completely in another. She heard him say her name, her real name, barely more than a breath tinged with sound but undeniably her name and she came undone, finding his lips again with a needy moan, she gripped his shoulders melding her body to his.

Her hands where moving now, mapping out the planes of his body, pushing aside the cotton of his shirt to explore the cool skin beneath, before moving lower to play around the waist band of his jeans.

She was lost and he knew it, knew that at this moment she was his for the taking, his own hands moved to caress the skin of her back, God how he wanted her, he could feel the need to have her eclipsing all else in his mind. Then he felt it, the cool metal of her ring, contrasting starkly with the heat of her fingers and he remembered, Buffy was engaged to be married.

It didn’t matter he told himself, he didn’t give a rats arse what promises she had made some wanker almost old enough to be her father, but Buffy did. If she did this now she would be sorry afterwards, she’d feel guilty, maybe even ashamed. Suddenly the thought of her being ashamed of this, of her hiding this from those around her choked him, sending a strange familiar pain though his heart.

Memories without form or detail told him that this was not enough that her body hot and willing above him was more curse then blessing. Instinctively he knew that it could not be like this for either of them.

He pulled away slightly. One look at her eyes, hazy with lust, almost broke his resolve, but the knowledge was too real, too painful to ignore. “Buffy” he tried to get her to focus on his words “luv we can’t do this”

What? Buffy’s mind protest, why not? But words wouldn’t come so she just shook her head slightly and tried to find his lips again. He firmly held her at bay a forlorn expression marring his face. “Buffy listen to me, we can’t, this cheating, it’ll hurt in the morning”

She let his words sink in ‘cheating?’ Oh God Dawn. She scrambled to her feet, her hand coming to her mouth as she looked down at him. He was resting on his elbows, clothes awry, hair tousled, he looked so enticing with his swollen lips and sad eyes that she almost went to him again. Dawn, her mind screamed, you can’t do this to Dawn.

So she ran, turned and ran as fast as her super human strength allowed. He watched her go and felt his heart crack with knowledge that a history he couldn’t remember sharing with her was repeating itself.

He could’ve cried, but it wasn’t his style so instead he turned to the overly elaborate mausoleum with it’s cracked carvings and punished the stone until his knuckles where broken and bloody and the wall of the tomb rubble beneath his feet.

……………………

A/N My first attempt at writing in a little bit of passion, feel it’s gonna need some work, always difficult to write, but I’m determined there will be no ‘throbing manhoods’ in my story ;-)

Cali, when could Spike ever resist winding up Buffy (she loves it really). Yeah Buffy’s a mess right now, that’s why she’s seeing S/D where there certainly isn’t any, Spike’s confused too, I don’t write too much of his feelings earlier in the story, I wanted to keep what he’s feeling a bit of a mystery to the reader as well as to Buffy.

Thank you so much for the reviews and encouragement, if I’m writing this story just for you then it’s worth the effort

Sloppy grandma kisses for you, and a hanky to wipe them off with. xxxxxx