Giles and Spike met Xander at the Dining Hall for dinner toward the end of the dinner hour. The students were finished and went on to their evening activities leaving Spike to enjoy a conversation with the two watchers without pubescent young ladies staring at his zipper and accidentally brushing their developing breasts against him. Spike usually welcomed the attention of women and certainly was no stranger to it, but these girls took it way over the top. When one of them spilled a glass of ice water down the front of her tee shirt, the three men agreed it was not a mistake.

They actually discussed the phenomenon over dinner. They suspected that along with the slayer powers the girls developed perhaps they were also gifted with an extra boost of hormones. Spike smiled at memories of a certain slayer and her ….um…appetite.

Xander was explaining that after dinner the girls had a little over an hour of free time during which they were encouraged to do whatever pleased them and it was encouraged that it be something utterly mindless. The rest of their time was consumed with training, classes, and study. In the short time that they were in operation, they learned that with these girls, any idle time led to trouble. These girls were bursting with strength and enhanced senses. Too often all that energy turned toward each other in negative ways. Anyone who knew anything about teen-age girls knew that catty behavior, possibly inherent to the female of any species was honed during the teen years…multiply that many times and you have a apt description of young slayers.

Giles took over explaining that the girls were using this time to call home, read girly magazines and paint their toenails. From seven until nine they would be busy Team Training, one on one sparring with the Slayer in Residence supervising. It was a good exercise. The girls defend themselves against one another and are encouraged to hold nothing back.

“Yeah, and there’s a brand new problem with that!” said Xander.

“And that problem would be?” asked Spike.

“No Slayer in Residence!” Giles added.

“Ahhh,” said Spike, nodding, “Kennedy…Slayer in Residence. Got it!”

Giles added, “They are not at all ready to go out on any sort of real patrol, although we do take them out in teams, one small group each evening, even weekends. They might as well learn due vigilance now. What they really need is to learn to defend themselves against unexpected moves. It’s very helpful and a good opportunity for the girls to blow off some of that steam that builds up. Every night they rotate to a different partner and the Slayer circles the room and watches each pair and suggests moves….both offensive and defensive.”

“So without a supervisor what sort of mischief will they be up to tonight then?” Spike asked.

Clearing his throat, Giles said, “Yes, well…um…Xander suggested….um, and I agreed that…a…”

“That I should be the Slayer in Residence Substitute? Right?”

“Well,…it would be…um…a good…opportunity for the girls, afterall.” Giles went on gaining courage in his request, “There doesn’t happen to be a wealth of friendly vampires in the neighborhood, you know!”

“Oh! Fine! Why not just call me Casper?”

Giles voice raised to the same level as Spike, “Now, you know that’s going a bit far.”

“Why?” asked Xander, “I like it!” and ducked from the feigned blow Spike was just about to deliver.

After what was a pleasant day learning about the school, Spike was disposed to be as helpful as he could. Besides, the last couple of days had been an emotional whirlwind and he felt like letting off a little steam himself. He laughed, “All right, all right, I’ll do it, but I’m NOT going to be the only bloke in the room with those girls,” he added quickly, “To be honest, I think my virtue might be at risk with the lot of then,” and then, “I do have one demand though.”

‘Uh oh, here it comes, Giles, watch out.” Xander said. “He probably wants the school named after him or something.”

“What do you want Spike?” Giles said suspiciously.

“Nobody calls me Casper.”

Small talk filled the time as they completed the meal with tea and cake. Xander returned to his quarters and Giles took Spike to the cottage to freshen up a bit before the Training Class. It was a busy day and all three needed some time alone to gather their thoughts.

~~~

Interestin’ turn of events, this.

Cape Town….with Kennedy…bugger that….

Then again, it might be nice makin’ her life bloody miserable. The last time he saw Cape Town it was May 1914. There was a push on to get ready for the local unit’s involvement in WWI. His demon self remembered it fondly. All those fresh faced young men coming into town to enlist so that they could fight and die for God and country. With that, he and Dru had been more than happy to help out. That is, except for the ones that Drucilla had some sort of vision or whatever about….he remembered, he glanced at her and tears would be running down her face…a reminder that there was something of the innocent young girl still left. Then he thought about the young ladies that came to say goodbye to those young men…well…they were special too…in more than one way. He smiled his sly smile as he lathered his soapy hand over his now hard cock.

He was a sexual being. Just taking a shower was a sensuous entertainment, thinking about old times just added to the pleasure. He reached his hand down and wrapped it around his balls making the lather even thicker and bubbly in his dark curls…then reached further down to tickle his arse hole and then back up to stroke himself. The warmth of the water, the bubbles….it was a good thing. He repeated the motion and moaned mournfully as his thoughts began to wipe away the demon pleasure. Ever since the soul he got better at putting the demon down.

After those first few months of near insanity when he got his soul back he decided that he wasn’ goin’ to spend all his time mimicking Brood Boy. What happened before was done. There was nothin’ he could do to change it. No dwellin’ on those faces that washed across his conscious. No denyin’ ‘em either. He’d learnt to kind of embrace them, let their memories keep him from ever giving into the demon again. Worked most of the time. Every day was a struggle.

Every moment of every day she filled his senses. He looked at the events of the past couple of years since Sunnydale as the price he had to pay for loving her, knowing her …and he did know her…he knew every hair on her head, every shade of color in her eye. He knew the scent of her cheek was different than the scent of her neck, he knew how her muscles of her belly fluttered under his hand….the sweet smell of her arousal….he knew….

He hastened the speed of his lathered hand and finished himself off as tears mixed with shower water and spilled seed.

~~~

Had it really only been forty eight or so hours? Could so much happen in so short a time?

Two days ago the world was stable. Things were neatly tucked into place. Everything was running quite smoothly. The schools were succeeding and growing. The girls were adjusting well and the Scoobies that remained found purpose in their lives. There was money enough for all to have a comfortable living. He found a niche and was no longer under the thumb of the long out of date Council of Watchers.

His Slayer had changed the world.

He dearly wished that he could take some, no…he wished that he could take a good deal of the credit for the events that changed everything, but he knew too well that everything that was wrong with Buffy was what made this brave new world possible.

Slayers were alone. “She alone in all the world…” He remembered the phrase so well. His slayer was never alone. Well, except in the very beginning of her calling, before he was assigned to her. By the time he was involved, she decided that she was going to be a normal girl and despite all his efforts to convince her that it wasn’t possible, she kept trying. Were it not for her friends, the Scoobies, (he laughed at the name) she might not have had the strength to continue. It wasn’t so much that they saved her life (although they did AND brought her back to life) but that they gave her life tangible meaning. She wasn’t saving the world for a world of people she didn’t know. She saved the world for her friends; all the others were a bonus.

Slayers followed rules. Not his Slayer. Rules were to be broken…or at least rewritten.

Slayers did not make friends with vampires. Dear Lord, his slayer not only made friends with them, she slept with them…and she fell in love with them.

Which brought him to his current dilemma.

What am I to do?

What was it Buffy said? It didn’t matter. He knew the gist of it.

Spike ‘n’ Buffy 4EVA, but Spike had unwittingly given him an out.

It shouldn’t be this hard.

Yesterday when he called Cleveland and left the message that Buffy was needed here in England; it all seemed so simple. Through some action of the gods, Spike was not as dusty as once thought and it was out of his hands. Not to allow the lovers to be reunited would be hateful.

He wanted so much more for his Buffy, but it was not to be. She herself would never allow another man, alive or dead into her heart. If Giles knew anything he knew that.

But wait….maybe it wasn’t such a dilemma afterall. Spike was back among the living for nearly two years and did not attempt to contact Buffy. Who am I to think I have the right to act against Spike’s wishes? Breathing a sigh of deep relief, he realized there was no problem after all. He would simply defer to Spike’s wishes.

He had to act fast though. He had to call immediately. What time is it? Damn! He was going to have to interrupt her at something. The call went through with no trouble at all except that no one answered. Then he called Dawn’s cell phone. She answered on the second ring.

Seeing the caller ID, a frightened Dawn answered. “What? Oh God, what’s happened?”

With sickening charm oozing, Giles said, “Hello Dawn, how are you, dear?”

“Giles! Giles? What’s happened? Oh God. Buffy’s plane went down, didn’t it?” He could hear the tears breaking her voice.

“What? Oh, she’s left then?” said Giles.

“Giles? It’s two o’clock here. You got me in-between classes. Why are you scaring me like this? What’s going on?”

“I’m so sorry Dawn. I’d hoped I might prevent Buffy’s leaving. You see, the situation here has changed and her presence is no longer needed. I tried to reach her at her quarters but there was no answer. I’d hoped you would be able to tell me how I might reach her to tell her to cancel her flight.”

A very pissed off Dawn said, “I’m pretty sure I’ve seen movies where they get the government to cut into pilot’s radio or something. Why not do that Giles? Maybe they’ll turn the plane around just for you!”

“Ah, it seems I’ve angered you.”

“Duh!” Then silence.

“Yes! Well then. I’ll be sure to have Buffy call you when she arrives.”

Only silence, and then the line went dead. So… Perhaps it is in the hands of fate.

Giles called to Spike who had showered and was resting a bit on the couch and told him it was time to go to the gymnasium. He gathered his jacket and went to wait in the car.
~~~

Stepping out of the shower, Xander thought about how lucky he was that his head wasn’t
hurting anymore until he realized that was because everything else hurt so much. He thought a nice hot shower would loosen up his sore muscles, but apparently when your body lays in one position on a hard surface for hours in the cold it does some damage. Who knew? You learn something new everyday.

Another lesson? Hot showers don’t ALWAYS make you feel better. Another myth shot down. He thought maybe he should start writing this stuff down. Make a list. Post it on the Internet or something. People should be warned.

They should be warned about mixing three kinds of wine with brandy and gin too. For that, there should be a law. He smiled. He was surprised he could smile about it, but the evening at Giles’ had been…OK..

He let his mind wander free.

Never thought he’d say it, but the world felt different with Angel gone. He never liked him, but there was no denying that Angel had been a big part of his life. Life’s funny like that. Someone he hated so much being gone mattered more to him than….his parents, alive or dead. Oh yeah, that’s one of life’s little jokes for sure…and Wesley, he wasn’t anything to Xander at all, but he was sorry he was gone.

…and Spike’s still in love with Buffy…..

The dead man died and came back and died again and he’s still in love with Buffy. How much love is that? He stopped. Sat down and tried to think.

How much love is that? He tried to wrap his mind around it.

He found he couldn’t.
~~~